ADVERTISEMENT

Stars Matter....

robstewart

Apr 8, 2015
According to Ketch

1 in every 1.43 5 stars got drafted. 70% (.6993)

1 in every 5.16 4 stars got drafted 19% (.1938)

1 in every 13.97 3 stars got drafted 7% (.0715)

1 in every 56.47 2 stars got drafted 2% (.0177)

Now go look at the overall number of kids drafted per star allocation! You will be surprised at what you see and thanks to "3 star Charlie", we have a bright future!

Aggy's love them some Ketch...

Now go look at the overall number of kids drafted per star allocation! You will be surprised at what you see and thanks to "3 star Charlie", we have a bright future!

Aggy's love them some Ketch...

You do realize that those numbers you're talking about don't matter based upon the numbers of each star category. The numbers I posted are all that matter in the end because the huge numbers of three stars and two stars kill the percentages of your method.

You do realize that those numbers you're talking about don't matter based upon the numbers of each star category. The numbers I posted are all that matter in the end because the huge numbers of three stars and two stars kill the percentages of your method.
Not when you have someone that develops players! Thanks for playing Aggy! Charlie is still getting has fair share of 4*s and pulled a 5 with some high end 3's. I'm only worried about Texas, not everyone else recruiting 3's and less. Aggy has several 2's.... I doubt those 2's get developed.

You are a complete idiot if you don't think Charlie can't develop talent, his 2011 class proves he can. We like facts, Those drafted players are very telling facts! The other programs and their recruits are meaningless to me! Including Aggy!

Stars matter. They would matter more if the people passing them out were better at their job. I don't think they matter that much on a single player, but matter a lot for a total class. If a guy has a lot of stars and everybody wants him, they matter. Some talented guys are downgraded due to grades etc.. If they get in, the downgrade doesn't matter, as everyone who can play stays eligible for the most part. No matter how dumb they may be.

Stars matter and Charlie Strong has done an outstanding job of developing talent at Louisville. Those two ideals aren't mutually exclusive.

That being said you aren't going to win consistently at the highest level without great talent and coaching. The adage that coach X can take the 3 stars and make them play like 4 or 5 stars sounds great, but that means guys like Meyer or Saban can take 4 and 5 stars and make them play like 6 or 7 stars.

Reactions: Adios Mofo
Stars matter and Charlie Strong has done an outstanding job of developing talent at Louisville. Those two ideals aren't mutually exclusive.

That being said you aren't going to win consistently at the highest level without great talent and coaching. The adage that coach X can take the 3 stars and make them play like 4 or 5 stars sounds great, but that means guys like Meyer or Saban can take 4 and 5 stars and make them play like 6 or 7 stars.

Very true. I'm not saying start don't matter, but I also have seen way too many highly touted four and five star kids fail to produce. The beef of a class needs to be 4* players and that is what Charlie has done in his first year at Texas.

So, top end talent would be taken high in the draft, correct? 8 five starts went in the first round, that is 8 of 32 picks, I believe 15 of the top 80 picks were 5 stars and there are roughly 30 5* recruits in each class. That's pretty good player evaluations.

On that note, four 2* recruits went in the first round. That's getting paid...

Last edited:
Stars matter. They would matter more if the people passing them out were better at their job. I don't think they matter that much on a single player, but matter a lot for a total class. If a guy has a lot of stars and everybody wants him, they matter. Some talented guys are downgraded due to grades etc.. If they get in, the downgrade doesn't matter, as everyone who can play stays eligible for the most part. No matter how dumb they may be.

I agree at the individual level it's a bit ridiculous to think that 100th player in the country is really that much better than the 150th, or a low 4 star is so much better than a high 3 star. The politics in the assigned rankings are there and they definitely can skew the numbers at a micro level, but big picture wise it's easy to see the trend.

That being said poor coaching/development will ruin any star studded class. These arguments always turn into a one or the other, and I never understood why.

I agree at the individual level it's a bit ridiculous to think that 100th player in the country is really that much better than the 150th, or a low 4 star is so much better than a high 3 star. The politics in the assigned rankings are there and they definitely can skew the numbers at a micro level, but big picture wise it's easy to see the trend.

That being said poor coaching/development will ruin any star studded class. These arguments always turn into a one or the other, and I never understood why.

Ranking recruits is like naming the fire ants in your yard...

Ranking recruits is like naming the fire ants in your yard...

Agree but that's apparently what the subscribing base wants. The idea that you can determine that player x is the 50th best player and player y is the 100th is ridiculous even more so when they play different positions. I would rather see tiered/posistion ranking rather than individual, but a good portion of the subscription base cares a lot about the message board bragging rights that come with recruiting championships.

Stars matter as a general rule for sure but that can be mitigated if you've got a stellar motivator and developer like Charlie Strong. He's put a ton of 3-star players into the league and proven he can do more with less.

1) Sign with Charlie Strong
2) Make it to the league no matter how many stars you had
3) Profit

Agree but that's apparently what the subscribing base wants. The idea that you can determine that player x is the 50th best player and player y is the 100th is ridiculous. I would rather see tier ranking rather than individual, but a good portion of the subscription base cares a lot about the message board bragging rights that come with recruiting championships.
I hear ya, I don't pay for bait.

article from last year and still on par.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ar-look-at-fivestar-college-football-recruits

Hence the reason I said the beef of your class needs to be 4*'s, Strong pulled a 2015 class with 15 out of 28 being at least 4* recruits.

I tend to look at the average and our average was on par with past quality classes. Anything around 3.5 average is a solid class. I also look at needs being filled, things star gazers don't look at. If your class is approaching a 4 star average, it is beyond phenomenal per rankings and is not real common. Rivals is still my go to because they're not so easily tempted to give out extra stars like 247 and others.

Last edited:
The five drafted consisted of two 5s, two 4s, and one 3. You can't just give Strong all the credit at Texas since he didn't sign them.

You have to give Petrino some credit as well for the Louisville guys.

Keep up the spin, aggy.

The average 247 composite rating of Strong's players from Louisville who were drafted was 0.8770. For the five Texas players drafted, it was 0.9445. Two 5-stars, two 4-stars and one 3-star at Texas, while all but three of the Louisville guys were 3-stars. 3-star Charlie indeed. :D

Strong-influenced Draft

May 4, 2015 by By Eric Nahlin

Charlie Strong. (Will Gallagher/IT)

The evaluation of college programs’ ability to identify and develop talent is in, and yet again, Charlie Strong proved himself to be one of the most capable instructors in the country. Ten players from his previous stop were selected over the 3-day NFL draft, and five players were drafted from Texas. He doesn’t get full credit for the Texas players, obviously, but he certainly helped more than he hindered.

Credit must also go to some other familiar names who followed Strong from Louisville; Vance Bedford, Shawn Watson, Brian Jean-Mary.

Let’s take a closer look at those who were drafted with a slant towards recruiting. We’ll start in Louisville first. Basically last weekend’s draft put an exclamation point on a statement we already knew; Charlie Strong is great at developing talent.

1.WR Devante Parker (Louisville, KY)

Class of 2011. Committed: 1/21/11

Recruiting: 3-star, #77 wide receiver in the nation

Drafted: Round 1, Pick 14, Miami Dolphins

Comments: A jump of 74 slots in the minds of NFL draft-think is extremely impressive. Certainly Rivals goofed this evaluation some, but Parker was properly developed and maximized while in college. It should be noted Parker held a 1st round grade entering the season but Bobby Petrino extracted more production on a per game basis than Strong/Watson ever did. Still, this isn’t about scheme but development of talent. Take note of how late Strong gained Parker’s commitment.

Reminds me of: Dorian Leonard. Outside receiver with size and solid athleticism who was a bit underrated coming out of high school (#58 wide receiver in the nation).

2.OG Jamon Brown (Louisville, KY)

Class of 2011. Committed: 12/16/09

Recruiting: : 3-star, #58 defensive tackle in the nation

Drafted: Round 3, Pick 72, St. Louis Rams

Comments: The rare early commitment for Strong. Notice anything interest? Brown was a defensive tackle who was moved to offensive tackle. He’ll play inside because he lacks length. Strong has a vision for each player and a plan to develop and utilize them.

Reminds me of: Marcus Hutchins. Defensive tackle who moved to offensive tackle. Hutchins would be a guard in the NFL if he had that type of upside (I don’t think he does).

3.OG John Miller (Miami, FL)

Class of 2011. Committed: 12/10/10

Recruiting: : 3-star, not nationally rated

Drafted: Round 3, pick 81, Buffalo Bills

Comments: A late cycle take whose best offer was Kansas State. Miller’s an athletic, undersized guard who hails from Strong’s recruiting stomping grounds.

Reminds me of: Sedrick Flowers.

4.DE Lorenzo Mauldin (Atlanta, GA)

Class of 2011. Committed: 5/17/11

Recruiting: : 3-star, not nationally rated

Drafted: Round 3, pick 82, New York Jets

Comments: Mauldin will play OLB in the NFL but was a defensive end in college. He was projected as a 1st rounder entering the year but slid to the 3rd. Notice when he signed, way after NSD. Charlie Strong is the ultimate late cycle recruiter.

Reminds me of: Shiro Davis. I’m hoping Shiro has a big year and then sheds weight immediately following the season to work as an OLB at his pro day.

5.S James Sample (Sacramento, CA) – TRANSFER

Class of 2011. Signed with Washington out of high school.

Recruiting: 4-star, #9 safety in the nation

Drafted: Round 4, pick 104, Jacksonville Jaguars

Comments: After playing two seasons at U-Dub, Sample went Juco for a year before landing at UL in April of 2014. This is a Petrino player, not a Strong player.

6. DE Deiontrez Mount (Fort Walton Beach, FL)

Class of 2011. Committed: 1/14/11

Recruiting: : 3-star, #34 weakside defensive end in the nation

Drafted: Round 3, pick 177, Tennessee Titans

Comments: Exited high school at 6-foot-5, 215 pounds. Enters the NFL at 6-foot-4 3/8 and 250 pounds. A late cycle commitment, Mount looks like an outside linebacker in the NFL.

Reminds me of: Naashon Hughes from a size and athleticism standpoint. Hughes must become more physical.

7.CB Charles Gaines (Miami, FL)

Class of 2011: 12/10/10

Recruiting: : 3-star, #43 wide receiver in the nation

Drafted: Round 6, pick 189, Cleveland Browns

Comments: Another position switch (and late cycle commitment), Gaines was physical enough to make the transition from receiver to undersized cornerback. If he sticks, he’ll play in sub packages and on special teams.

Reminds me of: Duke Thomas, a former high school quarterback.

8.DE B.J. Dubose (Oakland Park, FL)

Class of 2011. Committed: 2/2/11

Recruiting: : 3-star, #24 strongside defensive end

Drafted: Round 6, pick 193, Minnesota Vikings

Comments: Dubose picked UL over Miami late. Came in as a big defensive end and leaves as a swing player who can play inside and out.

Reminds me of: No current Longhorns.

9.S Gerod Holliman (Miami, FL)

Class of 2011. Committed: 10/8/10

Recruiting: 4-star, #4 safety in the nation

Drafted: Round 7, pick 239, Pittsburgh Steelers

Comments: Holliman’s draft position doesn’t jibe with his high school reputation or the fact he won the Thorpe award in 2014 after recording 14 interceptions on the season. I’d have to believe Holliman would have been drafted higher had Strong stuck around. The NFL is about translatable talent more than production. Holliman didn’t always give max effort and missed far too many tackles. There’s no denying his instincts, however.

Reminds me of: No current Longhorns.

10. TE Gerald Christian (West Palm Beach, FL) – TRANSFER

Class of 2010. Signed with Florida out of high school.

Recruiting: 4-star, #2 tight end in the nation

Drafted: Round 7, pick 256 (Mr. Irrelevant), Arizona Cardinals

Comments: Had 28 receptions for 426 yards in Strong’s final season meaning they were scheming that guy open. 15.2 yards per reception is good for a wide receiver let alone a tight end.

Reminds me of: Andrew Beck

Some other interesting points:

– Between the NFL draft class of 2014 and 2015, 10 players Strong recruited from the class of 2011 were drafted. That class held just 21 players!

– That Louisville class was ranked #29. Texas was #3. What would retroactive recruiting grades do to those rankings? I have an idea. Texas experienced more attrition whether through injury or transfer than the impressive number Strong had drafted from the class of 2011.

– Just a defensive coach? Of those 10 players, four were on offense.

– One player who projected to offense ended up on defense and vice versa.

– I’ve lamented time and time again how Strong likes to finish recruiting classes aggressively. Remember this stat next time you’re worried about a position grouping. In 2011, Louisville took three defensive ends, all of which were drafted in 2015. The earliest one committed was 1/14/11.

– Often times Louisville was a player’s best offer, or at least one of them. This underlines Strong’s ability to not only identify player’s who are nowhere near their ceiling, but also his understanding of how they fit his scheme.

– Charlie Strong has never landed a class with anywhere near the amount of talent as 2015. No wonder he was so happy on National Signing Day. NFL evaluators and Texas fans will come to know that class as the Key Strong Pipeline.

The five drafted consisted of two 5s, two 4s, and one 3. You can't just give Strong all the credit at Texas since he didn't sign them.

You have to give Petrino some credit as well for the Louisville guys.

Who did? Strong merely helped those guys get back on track and apparently per NFL sources, they valued his opinion of the players.

Strong's credit comes from his 2011 Louisville class, his foundation class at Louisville. What is it, 12 of 22 players from an UN-ranked class are in the NFL? Strong is only a year separated, he developed those players and four were drafted last year. Nine of this years kids were his recruits. Petrino had them for a season... Much like Charlie had Mack's kids for a season after coming off a season where zero Texas recruits were taken in the NFL draft for the first time in 71 years. Strong certainly helped 5 get the recognition they needed to be drafted and 5 more signed as UDFA's.

But hey, don't take our word for it, the recruits and national media have run with it and taken notice!

Yep. Strong helped those Texas guys get to the league for sure. One example is Mykkele Thompson going from whiffing on OU RBs under the previous regime to being drafted by the NY football Giants. Strong and his staff were directly credited by the NFL sources as making Thompson a stellar open field tackler.

And here's the rest of the stats you curiously left out, honest and objective aggy. Wonder why? :D

This year's NFL Draft results:

a. One out of every 1.43 five-star prospects was drafted in seven rounds.
b. One out of every 5.16 four-star prospects was drafted in seven rounds.
c. One out of every 13.97 three-star prospects was drafted in seven rounds.

While Strong was at Louisville, he averaged 16 three-star prospects each year from 2010-2012, which means that the national average suggests that 1.14 players from each of those classes would emerge at some point as a drafted NFL prospect.

All told, seven players that arrived as three-star prospects under Strong were drafted this
weekend, which means that on the average, one out of every 2.28 three-star prospects recruited by Strong was eventually developed into an NFL drafted prospects.

Basically, Strong spots and develops three-star prospects better than the rest of the nation develops four-star prospects by a considerable margin and nearly as well as the rest of the nation develops five-star prospects.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
This thread going the way you envisioned it, aggy rob? :D

200.gif

Another critical component to determine quality of a class that is completely ignored in the rankings is addressing your needs.

I hear ya, I don't pay for bait.

article from last year and still on par.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...ar-look-at-fivestar-college-football-recruits

Hence the reason I said the beef of your class needs to be 4*'s, Strong pulled a 2015 class with 15 out of 28 being at least 4* recruits.

I tend to look at the average and our average was on par with past quality classes. Anything around 3.5 average is a solid class. I also look at needs being filled, things star gazers don't look at. If your class is approaching a 4 star average, it is beyond phenomenal per rankings and is not real common. Rivals is still my go to because they're not so easily tempted to give out extra stars like 247 and others.

Wow, something we agree on!

Stars matter as a general rule for sure but that can be mitigated if you've got a stellar motivator and developer like Charlie Strong. He's put a ton of 3-star players into the league and proven he can do more with less.

1) Sign with Charlie Strong
2) Make it to the league no matter how many stars you had
3) Profit

He just went 6-7 with five players that were drafted in the worst power five conference. Give me a break!

He just went 6-7 with five players that were drafted in the worst power five conference. Give me a break!

I'm not sure that does a whole lot for your SEC or recruiting argument being that Aggy only had two OL drafted from the greatest conference in all the land.

Good thing that's in the past! Lol.

The article I just read about Aggy being projected 10th of 14 teams this year and high hopes of Sumlin having a fourth year like he did at U of H is priceless material. Listening to y'all talk about Strong would lead most sain folks to the Aggy rationalization of that not being physically possible.

No QB or O line on last year's team but I'm sure he should've set the world on fire with that in year 1 (as you clowns are giving your tubby, drunk bitch of a coach a pass going into year 4 laughably). Strong just put 15 guys into the league in this draft and most were 3-stars but ignore that and ignore your complete faceplant on creating this thread about stars. You're about as easy to figure out as my 7-year old trying to get away with something. :D

And you spares only won the Big XII a single time in 16 years so criticize it some more. And please provide a link that shows the Big XII is 5th in power conferences. You aggys are so honest. Lulz.

edit: Strong has also won 2 conference titles and a BCS bowl as a head coach and 2 national championships as a defensive coordinator btw. So, yes, he's able to win titles. What has DJ Bitch Tits ever won? Zilch anywhere is the answer.

Last edited:
My math is Coach Strong brought in 16 3* in the 2011 class and 8 of them were drafted for a 1 out of 2 ratio.

No QB or O line on last year's team but I'm sure he should've set the world on fire with that in year 1 (as you clowns are giving your tubby, drunk bitch of a coach a pass going into year 4 laughably). Strong just put 15 guys into the league in this draft and most were 3-stars but ignore that and ignore your complete faceplant on creating this thread about stars. You're about as easy to figure out as my 7-year old trying to get away with something. :D

And you spares only won the Big XII a single time in 16 years so criticize it some more. And please provide a link that shows the Big XII is 5th in power conferences. You aggys are so honest. Lulz.

edit: Strong has also won 2 conference titles and a BCS bowl as a head coach and 2 national championships as a defensive coordinator btw. So, yes, he's able to win titles. What has DJ Bitch Tits ever won? Zilch anywhere is the answer.

So, Wickline isn't a OL guru and Watson cant make a qb? Strong knew Ash is a hit away from going out so not having a qb ready is ridiculous. Its obvious they don't know what they are doing still with the way they continue to ignore the problem and not bring in a transfer qb. Horn excuses are ridiculous and you guys are already giving him a pass on being a 500 coach after two seasons. That is even worse. Go ahead and start the regressing Sumlin stuff, but let me know when Strong actually reaches 8-5 at Texas.....

Roberto, they dealt with what they had at the position, now they have more options... Your simply running your mouth, you have no idea what will come of the QB position this season. The OL lost 3 starters after the first game, your ignorance is understandable, but come on with the bullshit about coaching up what they had. This is the year we should see that!

As for stars mattering... Instead of getting their ass whipped on the defensive side of the ball in recruiting, obviously Aggy is taking a different approach!

Latest offer...http://247sports.com/Player/Willie-Baker-54050

He goes right along with the 2* DB and the project out of Athens.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT