ADVERTISEMENT

The new offense and should Watson call it?

This is how I feel about Watson. If I were to give him a grade last year it would be an incomplete. It's impossible to give a coach a grade with the personnel he was dealt. I can't even tell you if he was good or terrible playcaller because he was so limited in what he had to work with.
Based on last year that would be correct for sure. What do you think about his playcalling over his career? This is what gives me pause. Last year very few OCs could have helped Texas do much better, although there are some I think would have done better. I think he should get a chance but I dont think it should be 4 years. If at the end of this year we are not "improving" then next year would be a very short leash. Do you think he should get 3 full years?

Exactly. Play calling is overrated imo. You can't call what your guys can't do.
I disagree with playcalling being overrated. If you have the best players at every postition like a powerhouse high school team it may not matter a lot, but playcalling is very important in keeping defenses off balance. If a defense knows what you are doing it is a LOT more likely to stop it.

Reactions: oldhorn2
I disagree with playcalling being overrated. If you have the best players at every postition like a powerhouse high school team it may not matter a lot, but playcalling is very important in keeping defenses off balance. If a defense knows what you are doing it is a LOT more likely to stop it.
well, yeah. But of game planning, execution and playcalling i'd list playcalling third. Not saying it doesn't matter, but it's an easy target for armchair coaches to second guess.

I'm sitting in the corner with my legs crossed nervously tapping my foot and waiting for two a days to start so I can go watch practice before I make a ruling.

A west coast, pro style guy like Watson was at both Neb and L'ville usually can expect to have some "growing pains" when switching offenses. Do I think Watson will magically transform into the old ball coach and channel the ghost of Spurrier to call the perfect game? No. Not happening. Is he capable of overcoming the change and not stepping on his d!ck too many times in the booth? I hope.

One thing is for certain, have two play callers, law suit or not, is not my favorite thing. I'm at a loss to produce one team with a consistent top 25 offense that has 50/50 play calling responsibilities. I've scrolled through the new sporting news and athlon magazines and I can't find anyone that splits play calling duties.

We have the entire month of July for speculation and conjecture as to what the offense will look like. I know the summer work outs are locked down tighter than dicky's hat band. And they aren't letting anyone in the practice facility during "optional summer workouts" so there won't be any sneak peaks. Maybe Patterson should put in a turnstile toll booth at the entrance and charge $25 for a glimpse.

We'll have a pretty good barometer for where we are in mid august. They'll be outside practicing and hopefully charlie will allow some visitors like he did during two a days last year. If so, I'll grab an eye full.

When I think of all the issues with play calling, it reminds me of what Mike Tyson once said. Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth.

Every play is designed to succeed. Execution is all that stands in the way of success and failure. Well that and a defense.

If you thought the play calling was bad last season, maybe it was because our coaches knew we didn't have the personal to execute the plays that would work. Maybe we don't have a QB that knows how to make reads or a offensive line that can hold a block for 5 seconds.

You have to play with the hand you are dealt, and sometimes it's a very limited hand. Sometimes it's not a winning hand, and sometimes you have to be creative just to give yourself a chance.

I loved some of the routes our receivers were running, we did a lot of crossing patterns and things that would have caused defenses fits and scored a lot of points if we executed correctly.

I'm convinced we are going to be a lot better on offense because our line is going to block a lot better, our QB no matter who it is, is going to play a lot better, and our receivers will run routes a lot better. In short, in year two Texas will execute much better than last year.

Will our offense be great, the answer is no. But it will be better. The real question is will it be a shit sandwich or will it be something better, and how much better.

I think it will be good enough to get us to 9-3.

I think Charlie wanted the WCO, pro style offense we had last year and brought Watson because he knew the offense. Pretty sure that wasn't the offense Wick wanted to run.

I would be curious to know if it was Watson or Wick who pitched the new offense to Charlie, or the other way around and Charlie told them to change.

Either way there is a lot of pressure on the offense to produce this year and come away with a solid QB starter.

Yeah Wasatch...I remember watching our recievers break open a lot last year but no ball delivered. I think in the end, they gave up running the routes because they didnt get the ball....or didnt get it when they needed it.Thats why I didnt have a problem with the play calling last year. Throw in a non existant running game and a QB that had no clue and you get our offense from last year.

When I think of all the issues with play calling, it reminds me of what Mike Tyson once said. Everyone has a plan until they get hit in the mouth.

Every play is designed to succeed. Execution is all that stands in the way of success and failure. Well that and a defense.

If you thought the play calling was bad last season, maybe it was because our coaches knew we didn't have the personal to execute the plays that would work. Maybe we don't have a QB that knows how to make reads or a offensive line that can hold a block for 5 seconds.

You have to play with the hand you are dealt, and sometimes it's a very limited hand. Sometimes it's not a winning hand, and sometimes you have to be creative just to give yourself a chance.

I loved some of the routes our receivers were running, we did a lot of crossing patterns and things that would have caused defenses fits and scored a lot of points if we executed correctly.

I'm convinced we are going to be a lot better on offense because our line is going to block a lot better, our QB no matter who it is, is going to play a lot better, and our receivers will run routes a lot better. In short, in year two Texas will execute much better than last year.

Will our offense be great, the answer is no. But it will be better. The real question is will it be a shit sandwich or will it be something better, and how much better.

I think it will be good enough to get us to 9-3.

If we go 9-3, I might have a heart attack and kill over. I appreciate your optimism, I really do. But 9-3 would net charlie a coach if the decade award.

Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Watson run a spread option offense with west coast passing concepts at Nebraska. Wasn't it the plan for him to run the same offense at Louisville but they took out some of the spread option stuff and went to a more pro style offense because of Bridgewater. I think the kept the same look at Texas because of Ash and the lack of depth behind him. The "new" offense isn't that new. Passing game is still the same concepts running game just adds more spread option to the running game.

Callahan was the coach at Neb when Watson was there and it was west coast based. Louisville was more of a pro style.

Good luck with Norvell you see how bad OU wr were when Shepherd went down

Oh yes, Jay Norvell was clearly your problem.

"Three of the top four players on Oklahoma’s all-time receptions chart have played under Norvell’s direction – Ryan Broyles (349), Kenny Stills (204) and Juaquin Iglesias (202) – while five of the top six single-season reception marks have come under Norvell. In 2014, Norvell helped WR Sterling Shepard earn first-team All-Big 12 honors and be named a semifinalist for the Biletnikoff Award. Despite being limited in several games and missing one full game due to injury, Shepard caught 51 passes for 970 yards (No. 9 on the OU single-season list) and also tied the Oklahoma single-game receptions record with 15 against Kansas State. He tied the mark of Justin Brown, Broyles and Jalen Saunders, who all played under Norvell. In fact, the top 12 single-game marks in Sooners history came under Norvell with two others tied for 13th. Shepard also produced two of the top five single-game receiving yards performances with 215 against TCU and 197 versus Kansas State."

You gooners don't even realize your coach fired the offensive staff so Bob could save his job and his brothers. But hey, Norvell was clearly your biggest problem even though he was producing the most productive WRs in OU's history.

Our defense in year two will not have the star power of Diggs, Brown or Reed, but it will still be very productive. Our Dline will not miss a beat, I believe with a year under their belt they will be much better. Our secondary will also be better as we will have better safety play and our corners will still be pretty salty. Our biggest issue on defense is linebacker and most of us feel confident that we will still be okay at that spot.

I feel good that we will have a top 20 level defense and it is enough to get us through 9 of the teams we will face. Of course Baylor, TCU, and Notre Dame are 3 animals that have a huge talent advantage over Texas right now. You cannot scheme for that.

The offense is the difference. most expect us to win 6 games. It's the other 3 that people don't think we can get. Well I think Oklahoma is on the ropes, I think we have a great chance to walk into the Cotton bowl and put a whipping on them. I feel the same way about KSU, who always has our number, but this time I think a hard nose Charlie Strong team will show Snyder what Texas is all about. Then there is OSU who we get at home to open Big 12 play. I think having them at home will be enough to get us past them.

Win those games and take care of our home turf and Texas should be go into Waco the last game of the year with only one loss in big 12 play.

I think Texas end the season in the Cotton Bowl against a SEC school. And from what I have read, that would be ideal redemption for this team.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
Based on last year that would be correct for sure. What do you think about his playcalling over his career? This is what gives me pause. Last year very few OCs could have helped Texas do much better, although there are some I think would have done better. I think he should get a chance but I dont think it should be 4 years. If at the end of this year we are not "improving" then next year would be a very short leash. Do you think he should get 3 full years?
If there aren't major improvements I think Watson would be the only one on the hot seat?
Oh yes, Jay Norvell was clearly your problem.

"Three of the top four players on Oklahoma’s all-time receptions chart have played under Norvell’s direction – Ryan Broyles (349), Kenny Stills (204) and Juaquin Iglesias (202) – while five of the top six single-season reception marks have come under Norvell. In 2014, Norvell helped WR Sterling Shepard earn first-team All-Big 12 honors and be named a semifinalist for the Biletnikoff Award. Despite being limited in several games and missing one full game due to injury, Shepard caught 51 passes for 970 yards (No. 9 on the OU single-season list) and also tied the Oklahoma single-game receptions record with 15 against Kansas State. He tied the mark of Justin Brown, Broyles and Jalen Saunders, who all played under Norvell. In fact, the top 12 single-game marks in Sooners history came under Norvell with two others tied for 13th. Shepard also produced two of the top five single-game receiving yards performances with 215 against TCU and 197 versus Kansas State."

You gooners don't even realize your coach fired the offensive staff so Bob could save his job and his brothers. But hey, Norvell was clearly your biggest problem even though he was producing the most productive WRs in OU's history.
Stoops somehow goaded Charlie into hiring Norvell by giving him a heads up he was being let go and mentioning that he should get him before some else does. Hook, line, sinker. Norvell's had a good run at OU but really fizzled in the last couple years with player development. Let's not forget who Norvell's receivers had throwing the ball to them which most certainly made him look great too. Norvell's lack of player development the last couple of years and his penchant for bring in troubled players made him expendable. I will say though that Norvell's did a great job getting the receivers to block downfield.

Our defense in year two will not have the star power of Diggs, Brown or Reed, but it will still be very productive. Our Dline will not miss a beat, I believe with a year under their belt they will be much better. Our secondary will also be better as we will have better safety play and our corners will still be pretty salty. Our biggest issue on defense is linebacker and most of us feel confident that we will still be okay at that spot.

I feel good that we will have a top 20 level defense and it is enough to get us through 9 of the teams we will face. Of course Baylor, TCU, and Notre Dame are 3 animals that have a huge talent advantage over Texas right now. You cannot scheme for that.

The offense is the difference. most expect us to win 6 games. It's the other 3 that people don't think we can get. Well I think Oklahoma is on the ropes, I think we have a great chance to walk into the Cotton bowl and put a whipping on them. I feel the same way about KSU, who always has our number, but this time I think a hard nose Charlie Strong team will show Snyder what Texas is all about. Then there is OSU who we get at home to open Big 12 play. I think having them at home will be enough to get us past them.

Win those games and take care of our home turf and Texas should be go into Waco the last game of the year with only one loss in big 12 play.

I think Texas end the season in the Cotton Bowl against a SEC school. And from what I have read, that would be ideal redemption for this team.
Son I hope you are right. I wish I could be that optimistic. Anything is possible I guess.

If there aren't major improvements I think Watson would be the only one on the hot seat?

Stoops somehow goaded Charlie into hiring Norvell by giving him a heads up he was being let go and mentioning that he should get him before some else does. Hook, line, sinker. Norvell's had a good run at OU but really fizzled in the last couple years with player development. Let's not forget who Norvell's receivers had throwing the ball to them which most certainly made him look great too. Norvell's lack of player development the last couple of years and his penchant for bring in troubled players made him expendable. I will say though that Norvell's did a great job getting the receivers to block downfield.
Would it kill you to tell the truth? If you think Stoops fired Norvell and baited Strong into hiring him to somehow "hurt" Texas you sir are a moron of the highest order. Norvell is an excellent recruiter and his recievers were pretty salty. I think it was a good hire for Texas, he is well liked by high school coaches in Texas and Cali. Every recruit mentions that they really liked speaking to him. You are full of SOUR GRAPES.

Does a gooner or gomer have to jump in and ruin every single thread with their nonsense and jibberish? Do y'all ever go to your own boards? You will NEVER see me on a sooner or pooooorrrrrrr agggggyyyyyy board. I love Texas more than I hate okla or atm. Can you all say the same about your schools?

Reactions: streettopeschel

Thanks for giving us a WR coach that produced the most productive WRs in OU history then, belldouche.

You can talk all you want, Bob was feeling pressure and had to fire some coaches. He sided with the offensive side because his brother is on the defensive side. Norvell and other offensive coaches were fired simply as scapegoats for Bob's incompetence and unwillingness to get rid of his brother.

Last edited:
Does a gooner or gomer have to jump in and ruin every single thread with their nonsense and jibberish? Do y'all ever go to your own boards? You will NEVER see me on a sooner or pooooorrrrrrr agggggyyyyyy board. I love Texas more than I hate okla or atm. Can you all say the same about your schools?
It IS an odd phenomenon.

Total offense for OU:

2014-#26
2013-#50
2012-#14
2011-#6
2010-#7

Total defense for OU:

2014: #51
2013: #22
2012: #76
2011: #62
2010: #87

Get my drift here? OU's defense has been a much bigger problem than the offense. But hey, Bob has to keep his brother. One of the biggest problems for OU's offense over the past few years is the defense can't get off the field. Please continue on belldouche.

Would it kill you to tell the truth? If you think Stoops fired Norvell and baited Strong into hiring him to somehow "hurt" Texas you sir are a moron of the highest order. Norvell is an excellent recruiter and his recievers were pretty salty. I think it was a good hire for Texas, he is well liked by high school coaches in Texas and Cali. Every recruit mentions that they really liked speaking to him. You are full of SOUR GRAPES.
Haha Vahorn I promise it's not sour grapes on my part. Norvell had his moments at OU but having Bradford and Jones throwing the ball to your receivers is going to sure help anyone out. Don't get me wrong he had some good talent but the last couple of years when we didn't have a really good throwing qb his development or lack thereof got exposed. Is that all his fault? Probably not but it sure was magnified. He has freaking KJ Young getting major playing time last year. Freaking KJ Young who by the way is not even on the team anymore and I'm not really sure why but I hope it is because the OC placed him about 10th on the depth chart and he transferred out. Norvell bragged about having the tallest collection of receivers in the nation but for some reason they couldn't find the field instead they are behind The likes of Durron Neal who should probably be no higher than a No. 3 receiver, and freaking KJ Young.
Good luck with Norvell and he does have some good qualities but his game had fizzled at OU.

Last edited:
And yes, of course I was being sarcastic with my comment about Stoops goading Strong into hiring Norvell. But he did call him and gave him a heads up he was getting let go and that if he wanted him he better hurry before anyone else offered him.

Total offense for OU:

2014-#26
2013-#50
2012-#14
2011-#6
2010-#7

Total defense for OU:

2014: #51
2013: #22
2012: #76
2011: #62
2010: #87

Get my drift here? OU's defense has been a much bigger problem than the offense. But hey, Bob has to keep his brother. One of the biggest problems for OU's offense over the past few years is the defense can't get off the field. Please continue on belldouche.

Did you see the bowl game against Clemson? Catch my drift here? Did you at any point in that game think the OU passing game was competent? We can argue defense in a different thread if you want and it certainly wasn't good but don't act like OU's offense and passing game in particular was sufficient in spite of the defense woes.

I have a feeling Oklahoma and stoops is about to go the way of mack brown and Texas in 2010. they seem desperate to try and convince us that all is well in gooner land. I don't see it.

I see two schools that are moving downhill. Oklahoma and LSU seem to be headed toward a mack brown fate. hope it all happens this year.

Did you see the bowl game against Clemson? Catch my drift here? Did you at any point in that game think the OU passing game was competent? We can argue defense in a different thread if you want and it certainly wasn't good but don't act like OU's offense and passing game in particular was sufficient in spite of the defense woes.

Way to change the subject, belldouche. Your boy Bob fired the offensive staff because he didn't want to get rid of his brother. That's the entire point, guys like Norvell were scapegoats. If Bob was serious about firing someone it should have been his brother who hasn't produced a decent defense in some time.

But go ahead and judge Norvell on one game, belldouche. Maybe the WRs looked terrible because Trevor Knight is trash? Something all Texas fans have tried to tell delusional OU fans like yourself. Coming from a guy named "belldozer" I know that's probably hard for you to understand.

Here's the bottom line, Norvell produced the most productive WRs in OU's history. Bob fired the wrong coaches because his brother is his defensive coordinator. Spin all you want. OU's offense hasn't been nearly as terrible as your defense. If Bob was serious about firing coaches Mike Stoops shouldn't be his defensive coordinator. You have no justification for calling out Norvell when he's easily been the best WR coach in OU's history based on the production of OU WRs. Carry on belldouche.

Last edited:
I have a feeling Oklahoma and stoops is about to go the way of mack brown and Texas in 2010. they seem desperate to try and convince us that all is well in gooner land. I don't see it.

I see two schools that are moving downhill. Oklahoma and LSU seem to be headed toward a mack brown fate. hope it all happens this year.
? Who is saying all is well with OU football? We just came off what most OU fans consider a horrible year with an embarrassing bowl loss putting an exclamation point on an already crappy year. The offense and defense seemed to regress as the year went on. We got a new OC. Who knows what the defense will look like?

Way to change the subject, belldouche. Your boy Bob fired the offensive staff because he didn't want to get rid of his brother. That's the entire point, guys like Norvell were scapegoats. If Bob was serious about firing someone it should have been his brother who hasn't produced a decent defense in 5 years.

But go ahead and judge Norvell on one game, belldouche. Maybe the WRs looked terrible because Trevor Knight is trash? Something all Texas fans have tried to tell delusional OU fans like yourself. Coming from a guy named "belldozer" I know it's probably hard for you to understand.

Here's the bottom line, Norvell produced the most productive WRs in OU's history. Bob fired the wrong coaches because his brother is defensive coordinator.
Changing the subject? You mean bring up the very last game of the season when you should be improved and look better than you at the beginning or even halfway through the year and then all the fans realized that was not the case? Yeah maybe the concept of player development flew right over your head there buddy. Do you really think my real name is bulldozer and yours is utisdabomb? You are now finally understanding what I said earlier about Norvell's player development lacking when OU did not have great throwing qb's. All of those most productive wr's OU had were catching balls from Bradford and Jones. They weren't setting records with Knight and Bell sorry. Our receivers have looked like trash sans Shepard and cannot get separation to save their lives the last couple years. See Neal and KJ Young as prime examples. The bottom line is his player development fell off and he and Heupel needed to go. I'm sure if the defense doesn't turn around there will be changes on that side of the ball after this year.

Changing the subject? You mean bring up the very last game of the season when you should be improved and look better than you at the beginning or even halfway through the year and then all the fans realized that was not the case?

Your QB was trash. How you interpret that game as the WRs regressing is hysterical. Trevor Knight was 17/37, with 3 interceptions and a QB rating of 53 against Clemson. OU could have had Michael Irvin and Jerry Rice at WR and it wouldn't have made a difference.

Our receivers have looked like trash sans Shepard and cannot get separation to save their lives the last couple years.

That's great and all. Too bad Norvell has produced the most productive WRs in OU's history. Norvell was so terrible last year producing a semi finalist for the Biletnikoff Award. Just 2 years ago he helped produce Kenny Stills into a 5th round draft pick, You are so terrible at this.

ADVERTISEMENT