ADVERTISEMENT

Today's Gift (2-16)

NativeTex

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2004
I value the friend who for me finds time on his calendar, but I cherish the friend who for me does not consult his calendar.
~~~~~~~~~~~ Robert Brault

As we often say on OB, let that sink in. We don't get to choose family but we choose our friends, and they us. I read the above quote, and I think instantly "Am I that second kind of friend? Do I have any of those kinds of friends?" I know I have them; I named them immediately. But I had to take a standing eight-count to determine whether any of them would name me.

In his wonderful book, Chasing Daylight, the late Eugene O'Kelly writes of being told that he would die, and when. He decided that he would work to "unwind," or more accurately "beautifully resolve" his personal relationships. Closure as I suppose some might say. He tells the reader that this plan essentially forced him to do the very thing that we're often reminded to do anyway, that is, to think of the people we love, and why, then go to them and "tell them explicitly how we feel," because who knows when that opportunity will disappear.

The thing is, he DID know. We don't. We know only that by one day, we have less time left than we did yesterday.

Blessings and Peace.

NT
John 15:13
In memory of Allen Jones. I hope he knew.
Prayers up this morning for @lifeisgoodtoday and his wife Cathy, and for @joeywa for whom I need no calendar

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News