ADVERTISEMENT

USC / PK rumor

Drtxhorn

Feb 13, 2016
New Braunfels
If this ends up being true, I don't think we would have any trouble finding an elite DC. Money won't be the issue if he does leave for USC.

Reactions: westx
Man, I can’t see quality DCs lining up to sign up under Lincoln Riley. His offensive identity is a defense killer.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Man, I can’t see quality DCs lining up to sign up under Lincoln Riley. His offensive identity is a defense killer.

Alex Grinch was actually Riley's third DC, after Mike Stoops and Ruffin McNeil at OU. None of them were successful.

Although Grinch is a horrible DC, I think the larger problem is Riley's philosophy and approach to football. The problems go way deeper than just the DC, like strength and conditioning, the overall culture of the program, cohesiveness, etc. He is going to have an uphill battle getting an elite DC to come to USC, because it might be seen as career suicide.

The only reason PK woukd do leave for SC is if he really wanted to be back on the west coast

Reactions: oldhorn2
Going to coach defense under a Lincoln Riley team would be the worst mistake one could make.

Reactions: LVPack
At first, I thought this might have come from a satire site like "The Onion", but no, Riley actually said this in his press conference. Hilarious.

Too many missed tackles, too soft pass coverage, give up big leads and long drives when game is on the line , I think we can do better much better.

Too many missed tackles, too soft pass coverage, give up big leads and long drives when game is on the line , I think we can do better much better.
The soft coverage on 3rd and 4th and short drives me up a damn wall. We recruited a bunch of physical, press man corners and we have them playing flat footed 12 yards off the ball. Another thing that drives me crazy is all the rotations in the secondary. It's really hard to build trust with your corners and safeties if they are playing with a different set of guys each game. I wish they would pick the starters and just go with it.

I think it'll be next to impossible to get an established dc to work for him. Nobody with a reputation to lose, who has hopes of HC being their next job would work for him. He'll need to do what he did last time when he hired grinch and go after a young up and comer with something to prove.

I think it'll be next to impossible to get an established dc to work for him. Nobody with a reputation to lose, who has hopes of HC being their next job would work for him. He'll need to do what he did last time when he hired grinch and go after a young up and comer with something to prove.
Agreed. Riley is going to have to show a DC that he can recruit at least 2 classes worth of 4 star talent on defense before a serious DC will take a hard look at that job. These 2 and 3 star defensive kids at USC won't get it done.

Reactions: The Midnight Toker
If I am a DC, I would work for Riley/USC in a heartbeat. It was one of the most premiere jobs in the land. Though, he would have to promise to never throw his high heels at me.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT