ADVERTISEMENT

Visiting Austin Monday-Wednesday

Bama_Teacher_inTX

Jul 18, 2015
Hey Longhorn fans, I am a Bama graduate and teach middle school in Lubbock. My wife has a training session in Austin this week, and I am coming with her. We need some good recommendations for local restaurants. Suggestions for good bbq, Mexican, and burger joints would be highly appreciated. We also have a 1 year old, so waiting in line for 27 hours at Franklin BBQ probably won't work for us. We are definitely looking forward to visiting Austin. This will be my first to the capital.

Your wife will love Mandola's Italian Market in the Triangle. When I go up to Austin that is one of the places my wife loves.

Dude, stop in Llano, get Cooper's bbq. Mexican food, Guerro's on south congress. Or the enchilada plate at dart bowl. Be warned. Burgers, Hut's. Breakfast, do pancakes at kirby lane (make you slap your momma).

Drive back to lubbock, pine for austin food every day after.

OK I usually never even log in to post anything, but please do not go to f'ing Mandola's at the triangle. It's not awful, but it'd be such a waste of trip to Austin.

I would take somebody to Magnolia's, 100%. Don't even consider Kirby Lane.

East Side Cafe is also very good, though a bit nicer, on Manor rd.

Red River Cafe is my hole in the wall, low key favorite. Austin Java is also a good spot, especially if you're a bit of a health nut - lots of options for gluten free, vegan, etc.

Juan in a Million might not be the best breakfast tacos in town, but it's certainly the largest and most filling. It's a good place to check out.

Torchy's Tacos is pretty good and a good representation of Austin tacos.

A good, Austiny choice is to go to one of the food truck parks (I forget where these are, but there are a few of them around) - outside, good atmosphere, obviously a large selection for anybody's appetite.

For BBQ, the recommendations above are all quite good. If you don't mind a drive, the suggestion for Llano is good and also Lockart has some great BBQ (2 or 3 famous places in that one small town).
I think Salt Lick is good - it's not change your life good, but I love it. The best points about it are the pretty drive out there, the nearby wineries, and the BYOB part is always fun. I think it's a good experience.

For burgers, I'm a big fan of grabbing a to-go bag from P. Terry's and taking it to Zilker Park (good for family). Hut's is good and Sandy's also has a oldschool vibe. A swankier option would be Hopdoddy's - I think they have the best burgers, shakes, and fries in town, hands down. But there could be a wait out the door.

And if you enjoy cafes/coffee/bakeries I would suggest Quack's on 43rd street. Cute place with family vibes and great ice coffee. Thunderbird cafe (on Manor rd.) is a hip place, across from East Side Cafe (see above).

Hope this helps! I live outside the US now, so these are the things I miss about Austin the most and can't wait to have.

Burger, it's Whataburger all day long
Breakfast Tacos, Royal Blue Grocery breakfast tacos are about as good as it gets. I live above one.
BBQ, Franklins is worth the wait, but there are plenty of good options in and around Austin.

Hit Rainey St, the taco trucks are all damn good. That street is really starting to come together.

Hill's Cafe, County Line on the Lake, Matt's El Rancho, Hula Hut, and despite some of the snobs around here, I still love Baby Acapulco.

Tex-Mex = Amaya's Taco Village on southbound I-35 frontage road just south of 290.
Burgers = Dirty's on the drag.
Barbeque = Everyone has an opinion. I'd just drive to Black's in Lockhart.

There's trendy, and then there's just damn good. Happy eating!

Kill two birds with one stone, Burger Bar for the burgers and Corner Bar in the JW Marriott has some damn good tacos. Ignore the tourists obviously.

OK I usually never even log in to post anything, but please do not go to f'ing Mandola's at the triangle. It's not awful, but it'd be such a waste of trip to Austin.

I would take somebody to Magnolia's, 100%. Don't even consider Kirby Lane.

East Side Cafe is also very good, though a bit nicer, on Manor rd.

Red River Cafe is my hole in the wall, low key favorite. Austin Java is also a good spot, especially if you're a bit of a health nut - lots of options for gluten free, vegan, etc.

Juan in a Million might not be the best breakfast tacos in town, but it's certainly the largest and most filling. It's a good place to check out.

Torchy's Tacos is pretty good and a good representation of Austin tacos.

A good, Austiny choice is to go to one of the food truck parks (I forget where these are, but there are a few of them around) - outside, good atmosphere, obviously a large selection for anybody's appetite.

For BBQ, the recommendations above are all quite good. If you don't mind a drive, the suggestion for Llano is good and also Lockart has some great BBQ (2 or 3 famous places in that one small town).
I think Salt Lick is good - it's not change your life good, but I love it. The best points about it are the pretty drive out there, the nearby wineries, and the BYOB part is always fun. I think it's a good experience.

For burgers, I'm a big fan of grabbing a to-go bag from P. Terry's and taking it to Zilker Park (good for family). Hut's is good and Sandy's also has a oldschool vibe. A swankier option would be Hopdoddy's - I think they have the best burgers, shakes, and fries in town, hands down. But there could be a wait out the door.

And if you enjoy cafes/coffee/bakeries I would suggest Quack's on 43rd street. Cute place with family vibes and great ice coffee. Thunderbird cafe (on Manor rd.) is a hip place, across from East Side Cafe (see above).

Hope this helps! I live outside the US now, so these are the things I miss about Austin the most and can't wait to have.
You my friend, have fallen victim to the vacuity of Babbits in Austin. Torchy's tacos use pre made tortillas. That's garbage. Home made tortillas are always the way to go. Yes, what's in the taco matters, but if you don't have a fresh tortilla, either corn or flour, you could stuff it full of katie perry boobs and Kate upton va-jay jay and it won't taste as good. Period, end of discussion.

Bama Teacher,

You may need an extra week or three to truly get a real taste of Austin with all those great recommendations.

My recommendation would be to up-grade to 1st class for your return trip to Bama. You're gonna need a little extra room for sure.

I was only able to spend 2 days in Austin. My wife and I returned to Lubbock last night. We ate at Magnolia's, Tacodeli, Mandola's, and La Barbecue. I enjoyed my time in Austin. I enjoy traveling and I had nothing but good food while visiting. Thanks for all of the recommendations.

Reactions: MB-HORNS
Glad you enjoyed it! It's always a nice feeling to hear that somebody came to Austin and enjoyed their trip, as if I had anything to do with it haha. Even with universities and sports aside, Austin is objectively an excellent place to live and visit and I feel bad for people who live in CStat, Waco, Lubbock, etc.

Don't not feel bad for me because I live in Lubbock. I have a great job teaching middle school here in one of the best school districts in Texas. I have a nice home in a great neighborhood and an awesome wife and one year old daughter. I really liked Austin, but big city life will never be for me. But when my wife goes back for next quarterly training, I will certainly be looking forward to visiting again.

Reactions: oldschoolcat
X2 on Matt's El Rancho on Lamar!
I was over there eating one day last summer and it was hot, and as I was leaving there was a guy walking down the street in a full indian head dress with a full leather indian get up on, and eating a banana. Nobody but me appeared to think anything of it.Only in Austin.Ha.

ADVERTISEMENT