ADVERTISEMENT

We might be buying Texas gear with Under Armor labels on it very soon

jsto60

Sep 3, 2005
http://www.burntorangenation.com/20...-longhorns-apparel-under-armour-nike-contract

To sum it up the story goes that UA is prepping to offer UT a record apparel deal that smashes the largest offers ever made. And in the past Nike doesn't tend to go astronomically high to match these things. And UT would be dumb to pass the $ up.

Not to mention that Patterson seems to chase the $. More than your avg SEC recruit does (and thats saying something).

As long as they don't try redesign the uniforms. I don't want to see us rolling out in some Marylandesque UA concoction.

They haven't done anything to auburns, it's up to the school. I hope they get this done, they just closed a monster deal with Notre Dame last year.

Worth noting that Phil Knight said something to the effect of there wasn't a school Nike was more proud to be associated with than Texas. Maybe they get into a bidding war. $15M per for 10 years is a lot of cheese. UA hasn't screwed up ND unis plus they're kind of the cool brand now.

if this deal features a bunch of crazy jerseys I getting together an angry mob to chase Patterson out of town. TTU looks like they have a new uniform to go clubbing in every week. I don't even know what the hell Maryland is supposed to be but they sure as shit don't look like a football team.

150mil I'm down for that! People like $ fans like $ players like $ and recruits like $

Worth noting that Phil Knight said something to the effect of there wasn't a school Nike was more proud to be associated with than Texas. Maybe they get into a bidding war. $15M per for 10 years is a lot of cheese. UA hasn't screwed up ND unis plus they're kind of the cool brand now.

As long as its remotley in the same ballpark I wouldn't leave Nike. IMO UA screams 3rd tier. Don't get me wrong if they are offering an insane amount then I get it, I just am not a fan. Notre Dame was a big get for them as would be Texas as well and I would suppose that starts to change the stigma, just overall not a fan of their uniform brand.

If it's a 150 million you take the offer.

I can't argue with that logic, thats why I said as long as they are remotley in the same ballpark. 150 million is to much to turn down. This seems like part of the plan Patterson has in pushing Texas gear into China and other foreign territories.

UA is trying to take down Nike and they continue to force Nike's hand on big contracts. Nike will likely try to keep Texas, but I don't see Nike cutting a check to Texas for 15/10. I believe the highest payout per year from Nike is FSU at 5 MM. If they do, WOW....

Under Armour All-American is the best HS all-star game, they signed FSU, Auburn (two of which have not messed with jerseys), as well as ND. Steve already moved licensing, why not take the dough and roll with UA gear. Their exposure is growing and becoming increasingly popular.

UA is trying to take down Nike and they continue to force Nike's hand on big contracts. Nike will likely try to keep Texas, but I don't see Nike cutting a check to Texas for 15/10. I believe the highest payout per year from Nike is FSU at 5 MM. If they do, WOW....

Under Armour All-American is the best HS all-star game, they signed FSU, Auburn (two of which have not messed with jerseys), as well as ND. Steve already moved licensing, why not take the dough and roll with UA gear. Their exposure is growing and becoming increasingly popular.

Hopefully it will force Nike and Addidas to up the anti in terms of these contracts. UA securing the Texas brand is a bigtime power move by them.

Think Nike will step up to the plate on this one.

If Nike is going to take a stand on UnderArmour, the Longhorn contract is where they better start. If they don't, UA will make a run on all high profile collegiate programs.

edit: UnderArmour has Jordan Spieth under contract, reportedly earned $150mil when Jordan won the Masters...

Last edited:
Reactions: RoboCocks21
Has Gigem 247 melted down over this yet? Texas about to get paid.

We have no reason to be upset at anything, we got a 30+million payday coming. I would like your new potential deal with UA to benefit us somehow as well.

I don't think UA screams third tier. They don't have world wide brand of Nike but in the states their brand is on par with Nike. Not saying their sales are on par, but the perception of their product isn't considered third tier.

Been waiting to reply to this! So here is my rant. I love nike always have growing up and also when I played any sport. Growing up always had to have the new pair of Griffeys especially playing center field. Nike is a known product around the world ua not so much but in the states it's a hit especially with the new age kids. Lets talk about basketball don't forget ua tried to throw 258 million at KD and nike offered with 300 and nike won. Ua is doing it again with texas. And ua doesn't make basketball shoes! Not good ones at least! And our players won't be able to wear a former horn shoe to play on the court as well and ua in basketball just doesn't exist. Now let's talk baseball now and nike knows texas in baseball with the type of uniforms nike makes for us. Did you see Maryland baseball unis? They are hideous and look like iron on Maryland in the front of their jerseys. Nike always has the hottest cleats in baseball and don't forget jordan also makes a cleat that Jeter wears. And Jordan made nike ua is new but they will never get a player like jordan to make their brand. Also our batting gloves we wear are nike and are one of the best batting gloves I have worn. Now nike makes amazing gloves (mitts) and they customize the crap out of them for our players. If you didn't know our outfielders Zane and Ben use the nike vapor which is a 400 dollar glove and who gets them first we do because we are texas and nike knows how to treat us in baseball and our caps are nike as well and are great and like the fit. And nike is running that's why Oregon is always the spot for track and can't forget about cross country either. And football nike just makes great gloves again and cleats and uniforms as well. They don't mess with our design either and just add little changes. Oregon gets all the designs because we should all know why. And from all the posts it's all about money I understand that but nike is the leader and always will be. And watch for nike to take over the jersey contract as well in the NBA. These are my opinions by the way. I hope we stick with Nike. Oh and can't forget about girls sports either they make great products for our girls as well and love those compression shorts! Hook Em

Last edited:
Reactions: cwillfromdatx
Hopefully it will force Nike and Addidas to up the anti in terms of these contracts. UA securing the Texas brand is a bigtime power move by them.

Nike, UA, Adidas in that order. Adidas did no good with the NBA and are falling off the charts. But adidas does have Michigan as a big name for college and I'll be nice aggy too haha haha

What benefits do the fans think they will receive from this endorsement deal? I still believe you will see increased ticket prices from here on out. While it may help with facilities etc. it will not benefit the general public one bit IMO. Patterson needs to do what is better for the athletic dept. no doubt but just pointing out that the benefits won't be felt across the board.

I love the quality of UA clothing. I have not tried the shoes but the clothing is top notch and in many cases better than Nike. The underwear and rash guards are way better than Nike. The shirts are better in my opinion but I do like Nike clothing too. I have more UA now than Nike except for shoes. I think Nike has started to price themselves out of market share. I have some of all the sports companies stuff...Reebok, Adidas (which is upper Reebok), Nike, Underarmour, and Asics. They all have certain things that are pretty good and are worth buying.

Nike is a product that can be beat.... I'm up for change unless Phil wants to pay up!

What benefits do the fans think they will receive from this endorsement deal? I still believe you will see increased ticket prices from here on out. While it may help with facilities etc. it will not benefit the general public one bit IMO. Patterson needs to do what is better for the athletic dept. no doubt but just pointing out that the benefits won't be felt across the board.

Who cares? I'm not one of the fans that bitches about everything. If I saw Patterson I would tell him to take the money and put it into facilities.

I for one am also in the camp of "who freaking cares". Its not about how it benefits us. More $ for the U, is a benefit for us. That can trickle down in lower prices for certain things, sometimes it doesn't. It certainly is such a large sum of $ that some of it goes back in to the program and also academia which indirectly benefits us.

Directly, some new sweet gear is a starter. I am also in the camp of a Nike fan first, Under Armor has grown to take that second place over Addidas, Reebok, etc. Also agree with the guy that said they make solid, if not better clothing. Still go to Nike as the go to for my shoes though. So a new company coming out with some nice new gear is the main benefit I am looking for. Or at the very least UA forcing Nike to dump more $ to UT is a possible benefit.

Look, this thread was a news story. No one is really bragging here. So no need to get your panties in a wad Okie troll.

The hidden benefit for you OU fans is that now when you buy UT gear.....an Under Armor 'X' symbol looks right side up no matter what, unlike the Nike swoosh....so now you won't look as silly when you hang it upside down outside your trailer.

I don't care either. I am not worried about UA changing our uniforms to something stupid because Texas ultimately has the authority-Though, I wouldn't put the uniform decision in any coaches hands. UA is a good company and they can make anything Nike makes and just as good. Today's technology makes these kinds of things duplicatable. UA would do just fine and perhaps even better.

And football nike just makes great gloves again and cleats and uniforms as well. They don't mess with our design either and just add little changes.

I'm not convinced that Nike quality these days is anything special. Also, Nike doesn't mess with our design because we tell them that's how things are going to be. The same would be the case with UA.

Reactions: westx and swVAHorn
I'm not convinced that Nike quality these days is anything special. Also, Nike doesn't mess with our design because we tell them that's how things are going to be. The same would be the case with UA.

We can bring up the red river rivalry when nike made custom uniforms for us and okie and they were special edition just like nike this year made different uniforms for the teams that made the playoffs. And also in baseball nike brings back our throw backs and I love those uniforms. If you didn't know nike also customized a shoe for Ash when he was playing for his foot so he wouldn't hurt it again. Nike doesn't make football helmets lol

Last edited:
We can bring up the red river rivalry when nike made custom uniforms for us and okie and they were special edition just like nike this year made different uniforms for the teams that made the playoffs. And also in baseball nike brings back our throw backs and I love those uniforms. If you didn't know nike also customized a shoe for Ash when he was playing for his foot so he wouldn't hurt it again. Nike doesn't make football helmets lol

I'm not really talking about special-edition uniforms, which I generally don't care for anyway. You said that Nike didn't mess with our design, and I was just pointing out that our traditional look is going to stay the same no matter which company we're working with, because our contracts stipulate that we can make that a requirement. Nike would gladly go crazy with our uniforms, but they don't because we instruct them that our traditional look is not to be messed with.

ADVERTISEMENT