ADVERTISEMENT

Why the overconfidence vs BYU?

Originally posted by davidkfan:

Can we just sit back and watch the game? How many times over the 13 games in 2005 and 2009 did Texas start slow. Wait, I remember the Kansas game in 2005. What about Ok St, we always start slow.

Quit worring and watch how they win.
The Kansas game in 2005 where we were up 52-0 at halftime?

they're better than the last time we struggled against them. hopefully, we are too.

Who cares what we think ?? Doesn't make any difference. It is what the team thinks that matters. They should treat every opponent as capable of beating us if we don't bring our "A" game. Fans don't have to be that way, we can be cocky cause we don't have to back it up.

Hook em

Great topic for discussion. The 7 point line is really confusing me, because as I've said I'm not worried at all about BYU.

My reasons:
-Yes they lost to Virginia. Virginia sucks, and I think that is a valid reason not to be too worried about BYU. If Texas loses to BYU that would be a horrible loss for us (on par with UCLA 2010). I don't see that happening with the explosiveness on offense and experienced defense.

-They have a true sophmore QB who's only started a few games I believe. The guy is slippery but not very fast. He forces balls downfield and into tight pockets, which I believe will result in INT's.

-Their O-line sucks. They gave up 3 sacks (with a mobile QB) and 6 TFLs against Virginia. I watched the BYU post game on the BYU network, and all of their analysts agree that this is the weakest spot on offense.

-I understand it was raining but their receivers lost them the game. I saw at least a few dropped balls, and on the last one it was deflected right into a Virginia DB's hands. This allowed Virginia to come back and win the game. Also as mentioned above, the QB needs to accurately get them the ball for them to have any impact on the game.

-The only bright spot on offense for them is their workhorse RB. Their receivers are definitely physical and that will help them in their run game. Overall I think this is an unbalanced offense that won't be able to beat us by just grounding and pounding.

-BYU's D-line is average. I do not remember the D-line sacking the Virginia QB but they did get behind the line often . Again Virginia sucks, so I'm not giving their D-line too much credit. They are not elite and I believe our O line will handle them.

-BYU's LBers are bad-a$$ but aren't going to shut down our offense all by themselves. They will be disruptive for sure, but I don't think they get the help they need to keep the score manageable for them.

-Both of their starting CB's are injured (out for the year with knee injuries). Our WR's are going to have a field day against their DBs.

-BYU will be a decent test don't get me wrong, but they don't match up well with us at all.

This post was edited on 9/5 2:14 PM by prahz2000

Originally posted by houstonearler:

Originally posted by davidkfan:

Can we just sit back and watch the game? How many times over the 13 games in 2005 and 2009 did Texas start slow. Wait, I remember the Kansas game in 2005. What about Ok St, we always start slow.

Quit worring and watch how they win.
The Kansas game in 2005 where we were up 52-0 at halftime?
He means the Kansas game in the 2004 season. The one where VY converted that 4th and 18.

I expect a close game. Hopefully Major doesn't try to run the ball up the middle much because it won't go far.. It seems BYU's D (front 7) is good and their offense isn't very good.

If NMSU can shut Texas down for a half then so can BYU..

This post was edited on 9/5 2:13 PM by Longhorns8484

I'm pretty sure if you took a poll w/the 3 choices being 1) Overconfident 2) Confident 3) Apprehensive about our guys you might find it's a majority 2) Confident.

I, personally, look at it like this. I am confident that our guys will win every game they play this year. I haven't seen anything from BYU that makes me overly concerned. If it's close, it's because we make it close---not BYU. They have a good defense w/a great player (Van Noy), but we have more weapons on offense than they do on defense... plain and simple. Our defense is not the team from last year, and BYU's offense is not built like Oregon's... we will get stops, they will get some yards but we will prevail and if our offense is running on 80% of it's potential--this could/should be a 2TD+ 'W' for our men!

Texas 45-24

Originally posted by EyesOfTX:
Originally posted by D.X. Bible:
I'm afraid some of you will be sorely surprised and disappointed by how the game unfolds Saturday night in Provo, based on the prevailing sentiment I read on this board. Given Texas' recent struggles against physical, defensive-minded teams (i.e. K State, TCU, etc), I am failing to see where the overconfidence stems from. Is it because BYU lost to Virginia? I'll be the first to say that BYU is not an elite national powerhouse, but then again TCU was not last year either and they punched us in the face. For that matter, OU did the same thing and we folded before the first quarter was over. BYU plays every bit as good, if not better, defensive football than either of those programs right now and they will be sky high on Saturday night in front of their home crowd on national television.

Maybe it's the confidence in Mack's ability to have his teams come out of the gate strong and put teams away early....oh wait. Make no mistake, Mack will have the team in a trance heading into Saturday night's game, completely mystified by the altitude, the crowd, the Mormon tabernacle choir, the Y's on the helmets, etc. It's simply a question of whether Texas' individual athleticism advantage is enough to overcome those factors. But there will be nothing easy about this game, sorry to tell you....
Because most posters on this board have the attention span of a 2 year-old and roughly similar level of knowledge about football.

Hook 'em!!!
scared0018.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Longhorns8484:
I expect a close game. Hopefully Major doesn't try to run the ball up the middle much because it won't go far.. It seems BYU's D (front 7) is good and their offense isn't very good.

If NMSU can shut Texas down for a half then so can BYU..

This post was edited on 9/5 2:13 PM by Longhorns8484
Is that what you really think happened?

We'll win but it won't be a cakewalk.

Offense should be effective but how much can our DL and LB's control their QB and running game?

There's a reason Vegas has the line @ 7.5. IMO it's about a 7-10 point win.

30-22 good guys

Originally posted by PureTexan:
Because I'm not playing?
EXACTLY!

As long as the PLAYERS aren't overconfident, it doesn't make much difference what the typical Orangeblood subscriber thinks. But just for the record --- I was overconfident when we played at Provo in 1988, and I won't have the same feelings again when I fly up there tomorrow. I take BYU very seriously.

It'll be tight and we may even have to make up some ground, but I feel our depth pushes us to victory in the 4th quarter. We win by 7-10 pts after being down early on.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by prahz2000:

Great topic for discussion. The 7 point line is really confusing me, because as I've said I'm not worried at all about BYU.

My reasons:
-Yes they lost to Virginia. Virginia sucks, and I think that is a valid reason not to be too worried about BYU. If Texas loses to BYU that would be a horrible loss for us (on par with UCLA 2010). I don't see that happening with the explosiveness on offense and experienced defense.

-They have a true sophmore QB who's only started a few games I believe. The guy is slippery but not very fast. He forces balls downfield and into tight pockets, which I believe will result in INT's.

-Their O-line sucks. They gave up 3 sacks (with a mobile QB) and 6 TFLs against Virginia. I watched the BYU post game on the BYU network, and all of their analysts agree that this is the weakest spot on offense.

-I understand it was raining but their receivers lost them the game. I saw at least a few dropped balls, and on the last one it was deflected right into a Virginia DB's hands. This allowed Virginia to come back and win the game. Also as mentioned above, the QB needs to accurately get them the ball for them to have any impact on the game.

-The only bright spot on offense for them is their workhorse RB. Their receivers are definitely physical and that will help them in their run game. Overall I think this is an unbalanced offense that won't be able to beat us by just grounding and pounding.

-BYU's D-line is average. I do not remember the D-line sacking the Virginia QB but they did get behind the line often . Again Virginia sucks, so I'm not giving their D-line too much credit. They are not elite and I believe our O line will handle them.

-BYU's LBers are bad-a$$ but aren't going to shut down our offense all by themselves. They will be disruptive for sure, but I don't think they get the help they need to keep the score manageable for them.

-Both of their starting CB's are injured (out for the year with knee injuries). Our WR's are going to have a field day against their DBs.

-BYU will be a decent test don't get me wrong, but they don't match up well with us at all.

Careful,

Actually discussing football will get you branded a 2 year old with no attention span or understanding of the game.

Well thought out football post sure to piss off a few.

I'm afraid some of you will be sorely surprised and disappointed by how the game unfolds Saturday night in Provo, based on the prevailing sentiment I read on this board. Given Texas' recent struggles against physical, defensive-minded teams (i.e. K State, TCU, etc), I am failing to see where the overconfidence stems from. Is it because BYU lost to Virginia? I'll be the first to say that BYU is not an elite national powerhouse, but then again TCU was not last year either and they punched us in the face. For that matter, OU did the same thing and we folded before the first quarter was over. BYU plays every bit as good, if not better, defensive football than either of those programs right now and they will be sky high on Saturday night in front of their home crowd on national television.

Maybe it's the confidence in Mack's ability to have his teams come out of the gate strong and put teams away early....oh wait. Make no mistake, Mack will have the team in a trance heading into Saturday night's game, completely mystified by the altitude, the crowd, the Mormon tabernacle choir, the Y's on the helmets, etc. It's simply a question of whether Texas' individual athleticism advantage is enough to overcome those factors. But there will be nothing easy about this game, sorry to tell you....
I think Texas wins, yes, but boy can they guzzle the cool aid around here - and so quickly. This team better learn to start games in the first quarter or it might get ugly this season. If not somebody will catch this team sleeping. Happens almost every year.

Care to wager, I'll lay the points....

I understand the OP's concern, we don't have a great track record against physical well disciplined teams, but we do have what Mack always needs to win, better athletes, so that is why I think we come out with a win, but it may be an ugly win, i.e. pins and needles the 1st half or until the 3rd quarter before we pull away and can breathe easier.

Originally posted by prahz2000:

My reasons:

I thought they had some decent receivers (their second best was out with a hammy, not sure if he'll be playing against us), but the passing game went by the wayside with the game being in the middle of a swamp. I was also surprised by how uptempo their offense was.

I'm not scared or anything, but I'd be careful about judging them from a game in the middle of a storm.

Texas 27-13

We will roll them. This team can play so long as Manny does not get cute.

BYU has terrible corners and a bad OL. Their QB has lost a step and is wearing knee braces.

I am not sure we are 2008 Texas. But we might be closer than you think.

I'm extremely confident because BYU is mediocre, lacks depth, is battered by injuries, and overall lacks talent. They have a few great players, but it won't be enough. I believe that Texas will crush this team.

We may not cruise through this year unscathed, but I think a sizable portion of our fan base fails to appreciate the difference that our injuries, offensive schemes, and inexperience made last year.

I know that our haters look down an any optimistic poster as somehow ignorant and inferior. That does not lend validity to their position.

To answer the OP, I'm of the opinion that the majority of people feel fairly comfortable or confident that the Horns will win the game Saturday. I think you're putting too much stock in the clique of wildly optimistic zealots, though. I'm not really too worried. I think the Horns win, but the potential margin of victory can be legitimately questioned and yes, there's even a smallish chance the Horns could actually lose the game. I don't think they do, though. BYU looks like a pretty average football team to me with a good head coach. Texas looks to me like a pretty good offensive football team with a below average head coach (and defensive coordinator). Have to protect the football this game if we want it to be a "comfortable" win, but even if we do that, it might not come until later in the game.

Were Texas we should be overconfident against anyone one any day of the week
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

D.X. did not come in on a turnip truck. His comments are usually pretty spot on.

BYU is not very good. They won't beat themselves, but they are more than willing to let you beat them.

Originally posted by werfans2:

BYU is not very good. They won't beat themselves, but they are more than willing to let you beat them.
This. They just aren't very good. If Texas doesn't when by 10, then this is going to be a bad year.

Hope we are as good (and BYU is as bad) as most think. I share the concerns that we struggle. But I've always been a "glass half empty" kind of guy.

Why the overconfidence? Maybe because BYU just isn't a good football team. I have full confidence that Texas wins by two touchdowns Saturday. If we don't, then we'll know what kind of team we have.

Would you be willing to come back here and eat some crow if Texas smokes this mid major?

ADVERTISEMENT