ADVERTISEMENT

11 years 8 months and 6 days ago

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
What a game it was. Truly the biggest win in Texas history. The greatest single play in Texas history. Two of college football's elite 9 playing for all the marbles.. Five lead changes. But I took it in stride. I mean watched sportscenter till 6 in the morning. Pacific time. Other than that I was fine.

And I don't give a damn what Vince Young's critics say about his NFL career. In the biggest game of his life he played the best game of his life.

Period

Texas 41
SC 38
National champs
Hookem

Reactions: 071191mhW
One of the greatest sports moments of my life. I remember watching the gsme with my dad(who isn't the biggest football fan) and when USC lined up to go for it on 4th down I said "if we stop them Vince will win it". He did. Rather quickly.

VY could of had a better career in the NFL with a better coach. Little more maturity to he made some mistakes.

The game is going to on Fox. They should get Matt Leinart and Vince Young together before the game and let them share memories of that game. Other players from the game would be a nice addition.

Before the game, I'd done a lot of statistical research on Texas and USC and how they'd performed that season. I made about 40 predictions, including halftime score, final score, who'd be leading at what point, etc. Of the predictions, 28 of them came true. The flip flops at the end were all expected. I was as amazed by that as by what VY was doing.

Maybe it was a fluke; I never knew. I haven't tried to repeat it, but I learned that later-in-the-season games can be predicted far more easily than early games.

Even if Bama takes out your QB's throwing shoulder.

to say the biggest win in UT history is frankly insulting. In fact, I disagree it was the greatest play in UT history.To say otherwise is to show no knowledge of that very UT history.

to say the biggest win in UT history is frankly insulting. In fact, I disagree it was the greatest play in UT history.To say otherwise is to show no knowledge of that very UT history.
I'm not sure which game(s) were greater than the 2005 season's Rose Bowl.

It was the first time ever that the Longhorns won a national championship by beating the #1 ranked team.

The closest the Horns had ever come to doing that was 1963 or 1969.
  • In 1963, the Horns beat the #1 Sooners in the RRS, and at end of the regular season were declared #1 national champs, and then beat #2 Navy in the Cotton Bowl.
  • In December of 1969, the #1 Horns came back from a 14-0 deficit to beat #2 Arkansas 15-14 in the "Game of the Century" in Razorback Stadium. Declared by Pres. Nixon, anyway, to be national champs. Beat #9 Notre Dame in the Cotton Bowl.

Last edited:
Street to Peschel....everything on the line...Texas had been unable to move the ball all game...the President in the crowd(whole game by the way)...The President presenting the National Championship trophy personally....# 1 vs # 2 ( dont remember which was which)...perfect strike between 2 defenders....

look...I am not saying one is greater than the other because to do so would be a huge dis service to the history of Texas football. I am saying lets dont act like we hadnt been there before.

I agree with you there have been a lot of great victories in school history. Other wins that stand out are AR in '69 & '70, Roger Staubach's, Navy team, ND, and others. The RB win over SC is my favorite. However I agree we've had a lot of great wins everyone has their favorite I'm sure.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Remembering that 4th down stop. I really like Pete Carroll to me he's the Joe Cool of coaching. Dyk that he was fired in his first two hc jobs? But he's had a spectacular career since then. Two nc's at SC, and one SB with Seattle. But he could have had more. A couple of years ago in the SB against the Pats he throws the ball when they're on the 2 yard line. Marshawn Lynch was having a great game. Just give him the ball and they'll score again and win another SB. But he throws it, a backup db intercepts it and NE wins another SB.

At Texas we saw Pete Carroll do the same thing against us. Two minutes to go SC is up 38/33. They have the ball and it's 4th and 2. If SC had won the game LenDale White would have been the MVP we could not stop him. We keyed on Reggie Bush all night, he only had one big play and he committed a boneheaded lateral that switched the momentum to us. But on 4th and two he's standing on the sideline next to Pete Carroll. You think our defense didn't notice? They had scored on their last five possessions with LenDale White doing most of the damage. But with Reggie on the sideline we knew what was coming. We made the stop and even with a friendly spot he was still short. And the SC defense which was not that good, was finally in a situation where they had to win the game. And the rest is history.

And there was Pete Carroll after the game explaining himself. And just like after the SB be was cool, calm, and collected. He shrugged it off. In both games he took the losses remarkably well. His friends say that's how he is. I'm sure he was disappointed but losses don't tear him up inside.

But he's still a great coach.
And he's still and will always be Joe Cool.

Okay grandpa lets calm down a bit. It's not exactly blasphemy to suggest the game winning play in a NC game from arguably the greatest game ever might be our most important play.

Reactions: HornsRuleU
Okay grandpa lets calm down a bit. It's not exactly blasphemy to suggest the game winning play in a NC game from arguably the greatest game ever might be our most important play.

You're misunderstanding. It has nothing to do with the greatest play at all.

It's about Pete Carroll in relation to the 4th down stop.

That's all.

I made a reference to it but do you remember when Reggie Bush made that idiotic lateral. Be tried to lateral to a te who hadn't caught a pass all season. Not surprisingly he wasn't expecting the ball. You know at the time the score was only 7/0 but at that time USC had the momentum. Who knows what would have happened if Reggie has not taken leave of his senses. I can still remember Keith Jackson saying what was he thinking.

I made a reference to it but do you remember when Reggie Bush made that idiotic lateral. Be tried to lateral to a te who hadn't caught a pass all season. Not surprisingly he wasn't expecting the ball. You know at the time the score was only 7/0 but at that time USC had the momentum. Who knows what would have happened if Reggie has not taken leave of his senses. I can still remember Keith Jackson saying what was he thinking.

The what if game? I mean we can say what if through that whole entire NC. I'm sure we could do it for any close game.

Last edited:
Remembering that 4th down stop. I really like Pete Carroll to me he's the Joe Cool of coaching. Dyk that he was fired in his first two hc jobs? But he's had a spectacular career since then. Two nc's at SC, and one SB with Seattle. But he could have had more. A couple of years ago in the SB against the Pats he throws the ball when they're on the 2 yard line. Marshawn Lynch was having a great game. Just give him the ball and they'll score again and win another SB. But he throws it, a backup db intercepts it and NE wins another SB.

At Texas we saw Pete Carroll do the same thing against us. Two minutes to go SC is up 38/33. They have the ball and it's 4th and 2. If SC had won the game LenDale White would have been the MVP we could not stop him. We keyed on Reggie Bush all night, he only had one big play and he committed a boneheaded lateral that switched the momentum to us. But on 4th and two he's standing on the sideline next to Pete Carroll. You think our defense didn't notice? They had scored on their last five possessions with LenDale White doing most of the damage. But with Reggie on the sideline we knew what was coming. We made the stop and even with a friendly spot he was still short. And the SC defense which was not that good, was finally in a situation where they had to win the game. And the rest is history.

And there was Pete Carroll after the game explaining himself. And just like after the SB be was cool, calm, and collected. He shrugged it off. In both games he took the losses remarkably well. His friends say that's how he is. I'm sure he was disappointed but losses don't tear him up inside.

But he's still a great coach.
And he's still and will always be Joe Cool.
Double checking to see if you really said the USC defense wasn't actually that goo....aaaaaaand you did. You really did.....

Reactions: oldhorn2
And before you start with the "Dude, Oregon git voted as best D in the Pac-10, thats because oregon didn't play top 5 ranked ND or top 15 ranked Fresno st.
USC gave up an average of 360 yards a game. And that was AFTER the Texas game. And 9 of USC's games were wins by more than 17 points. Think the young dudes got lots of playing time in trash situations? Btw- this defense had Rucker, and this dude named Cushing and another dude named Mathews...just food for thought.

Double checking to see if you really said the USC defense wasn't actually that goo....aaaaaaand you did. You really did.....

USC had a great defense in '04 and a great defense in '06. But in '05 not so much. They forced some to's and because their offense was so great that's all they had to do. They gave up a lot more points than we did. And I their closest games, ND and Fresno State their offense bailed them out their defense wad not getting the job done. When we finally stopped them on 4th down their defense had to be the ones to get the job done and they did not do it.

And before you start with the "Dude, Oregon git voted as best D in the Pac-10, thats because oregon didn't play top 5 ranked ND or top 15 ranked Fresno st.
USC gave up an average of 360 yards a game. And that was AFTER the Texas game. And 9 of USC's games were wins by more than 17 points. Think the young dudes got lots of playing time in trash situations? Btw- this defense had Rucker, and this dude named Cushing and another dude named Mathews...just food for thought.

That's because the Pac XII wasn't that strong the only other good teams were OR and UCLA. And a lot of Big XII teams would have beaten them. Matter of fact a down year OK team beat OR in the Holiday Bowl. I could be wrong but I'll bet they gave up a lot more than 360 yards against Fresno and ND. And as i type this i remember that SC had a huge time of possession advantage I almost every game they played including their game against us.

Last edited:
USC had a great defense in '04 and a great defense in '06. But in '05 not so much. They forced some to's and because their offense was so great that's all they had to do. They gave up a lot more points than we did. And I their closest games, ND and Fresno State their offense bailed them out their defense wad not getting the job done. When we finally stopped them on 4th down their defense had to be the ones to get the job done and they did not do it.
Blasphemy! Their defense didn't come up big because Vince played that game like a demi-god.

Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
Blasphemy! Their defense didn't come up big because Vince played that game like a demi-god.

No. I went back and looked up there games against Fresno and ND. The final score against Fresno was 50/42. And Fresno had well over 400 yards. Ftr it was the game that sealed the Heisman for Reggie.

Then there was the Bush push at ND. 34/31 and ND gained a lot more than 360 yards.

One. more. time. Their defense was not that good. Our defense was better, a lot better than SC's. And when it mattered most we proved it and they didn't.

Period.
End of story.

Last edited:
No. I went back and looked up there games against Fresno and ND. The final score against Fresno was 50/42. And Fresno had well over 400 yards. Ftr it was the game that sealed the Heisman for Reggie.

Then there was the Bush push at ND. 34/31 and ND gained a lot more than 360 yards.

One. more. time. Their defense was not that good. Our defense was better, a lot better than SC's. And when it mattered most we proved it and they didn't.

Period.
End of story.
I have to agree here. I believe the USC defense the year before that manhandled OU was much stouter imo. That Tatupo was a hoss as well as their all American DL.

What college football is about more than anything else is tradition and Texas and SC have it in spades.

Great winning traditions.
The Texas angels. Gotta love them chaps.
The SC song girls.
Great mascots.
Bevo
Traveler
Great fight songs
Texas Fight
Fight on
Great uniforms
Burnt orange
Red and gold
Austin
LA
The stadium for both teams was built to honor their native sons who gave their lives in WW1

Man if this doesn't get you fired up for some fb than you're probably the kind of guy who thinks badminton is exciting.

Hookem

What college football is about more than anything else is tradition and Texas and SC have it in spades.

Great winning traditions.
The Texas angels. Gotta love them chaps.
The SC song girls.
Great mascots.
Bevo
Traveler
Great fight songs
Texas Fight
Fight on
Great uniforms
Burnt orange
Red and gold
Austin
LA
The stadium for both teams was built to honor their native sons who gave their lives in WW1

Man if this doesn't get you fired up for some fb than you're probably the kind of guy who thinks badminton is exciting.

Hookem

I love that UT is playing USC. My cousins are all USC fans and every time I visit LA we discuss the NC game after a few Pacificos. I'm hoping for a competitive game and we come out with a W.

Looks like their RB threw the Horns down during his TD against Stanford and sounds like Malik threw some shade his way.

Hook'Em!

I love that UT is playing USC. My cousins are all USC fans and every time I visit LA we discuss the NC game after a few Pacificos. I'm hoping for a competitive game and we come out with a W.

Looks like their RB threw the Horns down during his TD against Stanford and sounds like Malik threw some shade his way.

Hook'Em!

I was listening to ESPN this morning and they're taking that SC is going roll. Probably the same guys who thought tOSU would thump OK. Can't wait for Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT