ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Football Offseason Thread

Scholz

Jul 22, 2005
Herman and his squad will begin preseason workouts on Tuesday with a much different attitude and perspective than last year. That is actually a good thing.

When Herman inherited Charlie Strong’s team, he believed it was necessary to come at his players like a spider monkey. Herman laid down the law during his initial team meeting, and none of his players were happy. It was a drastic change from Texas’ previous staff, and the culture shock was hard for many players to handle. Herman inherited a team that endured three straight losing seasons. While some thought those players needed hugs, Herman believed it was more important to give them a kick in the ass to change their mindset.

If we are being honest, players were initially leery of the new staff. They did not know what to expect. The guys initially complained about Herman being too tough. They were not sure who to trust. Yancy McKnight, the team’s strength and conditioning coach, was the first staff member players were exposed to for an extended period of time. It was his job to develop their bodies, while establishing trust.

McKnight accepted the challenge prior to last year’s winter conditioning program, and exceeded the expectations of players and fans. “I told them day one in the team meeting,” McKnight said nearly a year ago. “Relationships. Just because I’m a coach, there are some respect factors that you are going to have automatically because you’re a coach, but at the same time, respect and trust is not given. That goes for both sides. I told them that. I don’t expect them right this minute to respect me completely, or trust me completely, yet. I’m going to work day and night, every minute, to earn it from them, and likewise.

“But it’s also really easy to lose it. It’s not really breaking them down. That’s not really it. They’re going to work. We’re going to work hard. We’re going to work smart and do those things. They’re going to train. I think they’re hungry. They (know the) standards that this place has at the University of Texas. They understand that. I think they’re on a mission to change.” McKnight turned out to be the favorite coach of nearly every player on last year’s team. He transformed their bodies. They became stronger and faster. More importantly, he earned their trust and respect. McKnight was the perfect bridge between a 5-7 team in 2016 and spring football practice in 2017.

Obviously, Texas finished with a 7-6 record last season, including a bowl victory against Missouri. It was the teams’ first bowl victory since the 2012 season. It was a huge deal considering Texas won the game without left tackle Connor Williams, linebacker Malik Jefferson, cornerback Holton Hill, safety DeShon Elliott, running back Toneil Carter, running back Chris Warren III, receiver Lil’ Jordan Humphrey and tight end Garrett Gray. There was a sense of accomplishment after the win. More importantly, it was a huge confidence builder.

In addition, one thing Texas lacked prior to last season was having the extra bowl practices to build momentum into next season. However, Texas had 15 bowl practices and the first opportunity to develop young players since 2014.

“What is the importance of going to a bowl game?” Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando said late last season. “It’s another spring ball. It’s so huge. I mean you are completely behind. If you go two years here and don’t have the opportunity to go to a bowl, and I’m not talking about getting Malik Jefferson right. It’s like getting [Marquez] Bimmage [linebacker] right. Getting some of these other guys that need reps, that need to be coached by us. It’s so important to be able to have those extra practices. If you think about it, you practice up to whatever date we go to a bowl game, those kids go away, you come back and have winter workouts, then you’re back on the field in late March, or whatever it is. That’s great carryover for us, so, it’s huge, in terms of development.”

That is why the beginning of this offseason is different for Herman and his players.

When winter conditioning begins on Tuesday, Herman is working with a group of guys coming off their first winning season since 2013. There has been a lot of optimism and confidence throughout the program since that Texas Bowl victory in December. As a result, the start of winter conditioning will unlike last season. For instance, instead of testing players for strength and weaknesses on Tuesday, the Longhorns will hit the ground running. “Not testing,” a person associated with the program told me. “This is a motivated group that will be ready, so they go straight into their offseason program.”

That is the advantage of playing in a bowl game two weeks ago. If you think about it, the season for Longhorn players ended in November for two straight years prior to Herman’s arrival, meaning players had at least six weeks off after the season finale. Sure, some guys worked out on their own, but there were weeks wasted trying to get players in shape. As a result, the Longhorns were always behind when winter conditioning began the previous two years.

Now, you cannot forget lack of belief and confidence within the program after failing to post a winning season for three straight years. Strong and staff spent time trying to convince players they can win games. Ultimately, they never believed, and that resulted in embarrassing losses against BYU, Iowa State and Kansas during Strong's tenure.

However, Herman’s team is coming off a winning season, and people associated are confident their players are ready to go because of the bowl game.

“That group is aligned and pulling together like they did in bowl prep,” a person associated with the program told me.

However, let us not get too crazy.

Herman is not going to eliminate the three groups during workouts – gold, green and crimson.

Here is McKnight’s previous explanation for each group:
Gold: “Guys you have no problem with. Maybe even young guys that do it the right way, they’re mature, their position coach doesn’t have to run all over time chasing them around trying to (get) them to class, or get them to a lift, or whatever it is.”
Green: “Guys are transitioning up. Green for a traffic light. Moving that way."

Crimson: “For the guys who need help. Can't get to class. It’s ongoing. Every day is an evaluation. If you can’t get to treatment on time, we know we will have to put things in place to help you, and remind you, things like that. If you can get to where you’re supposed to go, and do all your stuff, then you get treated like a big boy. If you can’t do those other things. Can't set your alarm clock, then we’re going to have someone do it for you. You got a lot of responsibilities. You have to check in and do that stuff. I’m sure it gets monotonous, but once they change their pattern and behavior, we’ll take those restrictions off of them.”

Gold group players are usually rewarded with steak, shrimp, pasta, cheesecake and a triple chocolate cake, while crimson guys received burnt hot dogs, soggy eggs, and other bad food. For what it is worth, I was told players who were in the crimson group often skipped the poorly prepared meal and went to Chick-Fil-La to eat.

If you are looking for another positive aspect of the start of winter conditioning, think about the environment this year’s early enrollees are entering.

Instead of entering a divided locker room where upper-classmen do not respect freshmen, coaches comparing star players to fake diamonds, and losing is the norm, this year’s freshmen will enter a room full of guys who have experienced winning and are willing to pass along what they know.

From what I was told, the upper-classmen have been looking forward to the arrival of Herman’s freshman class because they desperately want guys on who can help Texas win. Of course, some players think the freshmen will provide depth, but we know there are guys who will push for immediate playing time, especially in the secondary.

“The signing class and bowl win really helped a lot with building culture,” a person associated with the program told me. “Great foundation was getting put in place, but that gave it a shot of energy.”

An area the Texas Athletics Department hasn't been up to par in during recent years is facilities. Specifically, there didn’t seem – and sources I’ve spoken with have brought this up over the years – a clear person in charge of facilities and the urgency to keep Texas at the top in college athletics.

Well, expect new Athletics Director Chris Del Conte to keep facilities on his mind and everyone else’s, and he’s not going to sit around and wait for a winning program to use as a tool to lure donors in. He will approach them immediately.

“My job is not to wait for him to have success for donors to come running,” responded Del Conte when asked if he needs Tom Herman to win before the next football projects. “My job is to come and talk about The University of Texas… I am running a business for them. For every donor that buys a season ticket, t-shirt, or donates a million dollars, I’m going to need their help. If we waited until we won a national championship before someone jumped on the bandwagon, then they’re not the wind beneath our wings we need. Every single Longhorn has been phenomenal. But I don’t want to wait until we say we have a winning season to go ask for money. That would mean I’m not doing my job.”

At TCU, Del Conte sold the vision of TCU when he raised millions of dollars while his athletics teams were still getting established. “I built an arena without Jaime Dixonl built an arena at Rice without having a winning tradition or culture there. You have to build a case for what it will do to help your entire sports program and your entire athletic department. We collectively all must help - coaches, student-athletes, donors, parents, friends. You name it. Collectively. Every Longhorn must help,” he said.

As we reported earlier this week, Del Conte already approached one donor for $15 million. Reaching out to donors and reeling them in doesn’t at all concern the new UT AD.

Based on how he discussed the football program, Del Conte is aware that Texas needs to keep pushing to bring what once was the leader back to the top. He talks like someone describing a giant that isn’t sleeping, but is taking a nap.

“We have the No. 2 recruiting class in the country right now. Why? Phenomenal brand. Whatever we need to do within our facilities, we have to go do those things to make sure we continue to have great recruiting classes. We have to address everything. Everything is on the table to look at. Doesn’t mean we’re going to do everything, but everything is on the table. We have always been the standard for others to follow. When the bones are great but aren’t as up to date, we need a refresh. We’ll look at it all.”

While Del Conte struck me as someone that will exercise patience as long as programs are moving on the right track at a respectable speed, and had a knowledgeable awareness of where respective programs are in their building process currently, he also made it a point to establish the goal at Texas is to win championships. Del Conte wants his coaches, athletes, and personnel to embrace that.

“Each team is so different, but the reason why you come to The University of Texas is because you truly have a chance to win a national championship,” he responded when asked how he’d consult Tom Herman about handling everything that comes with being the Texas Football head coach. “That is the expectation of The University of Texas. Period. Every student-athlete that comes in here has to be prepared and have the expectation to win a national championship. They carry that around every day. It’s hard. It’s exciting at some point in time, and other times you’re like boy that’s… hard to live up to that. When you’re 18-22 years old and you’re not successful at that, criticism comes with it… Everyone reads that stuff. They read it. Parents read it. Recruits read it. When I was at other places, we knew damn sure what everyone was saying. Every coach knows what they’re saying about their program.”

As he did during his introductory press conference and as he did repeatedly during a long talk earlier this week, Del Conte made it clear he’s at Texas to serve and arm his coaches, athletes, and personnel with what they need to win. And he wants Texas to get back to being Texas, which was Greg Fenves’s message to him when he approached him about the job.

“When someone is taking pot shots at you and you’re the number one brand, you have to be prepared not to be arrogant but to say we are Texas. We’ll do the very best job to live up to the expectations. When I counsel coaches, [I tell them] there’s a reason why you’re here. You’re here because they believe, we believe, I believe and people that hired people before me but now it’s me, that you can win a championship. And it’s my job to give them the tools necessary.”

As for the difference between consulting people at Texas and TCU, Del Conte summed it up like this:

“The difference is this place has won the championships and has a history of it; the difference between the hunted and the hunter.”

Del Conte was asked about Texas and its standing with the Big 12. Basically, when the grant of rights is up, is Texas going to be sprinting out the Big 12 door? It sounds like Texas is at home in the Big 12.

“I think at the end of the day, if you look at the Big 12 for a moment were we not number one or two last year in every single sport we participated in? Across every single sport the Big 12 was number one or two in the country in every single sport we sponsor. Look it up,” he said.

When someone brought up the perception of the Big 12 nationally not reflecting that, the Texas AD responded about having a perception problem…

“We don’t. We have a media problem,” he said with a big grin, which was followed by some laughs. “So, what happens is… when you think about, we’re number one or two in every single sport we sponsor. That’s phenomenal. We are a 10-team round robin… if you win your league, you win your tournament, you get into the CFP. Oklahoma has done it twice. This year are they going to talk about the Pac-12 and Big Ten not getting in? It starts with you (the media). You dictate a lot of rhetoric. What am I’m saying is a lot is dictated by what perception is out there to be read.

“Within the Big 12, everyone is like, ‘Hey this is going according to plan. We’re in the right position.’ We know we have to do what we need to do to take care of business in our league. By winning a Big 12 Championship can you get in? [Yes.]"

When asked if there were enough viewers of the Big 12, Del Conte immediately and confidently responded.

“Sure. There’s plenty of viewers. Go look at ratings. Who was the number one bowl game rated in the state of Texas this year? Texas Bowl. Outside the CFP (College Football Playoff), what was the number one attended bowl game this year? Texas Bowl. Alamo Bowl was number five.”

Del Conte was sharp when it came to discussing television dollars, where the Big 12 fits, and where media was moving towards in the future. He also made it clear that the goal of the Big 12 design and setup is to get people into the playoff. That’s what Texas wants – to get into the playoff.

Speaking of the Longhorns, Del Conte summed up their status in the Big 12 like this:

“I think right now Texas needs to take care of Texas and get back to being Texas. Period. Then it takes care of itself. Period.”

Crimson: "what did you have for lunch today bro?"
Gold: "medium rare filet mignon, lobster tail and shrimp broche. What did you have?"
Crimson: "burnt hotdogs and soggy eggs....."

Call me cray cray but.......

Gold: "medium rare filet mignon, lobster tail and shrimp broche. What did you have?"

i don't know where you're going with that. if you get your stuff together, you can also have the steak and lobster

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
i don't know where you're going with that. if you get your stuff together, you can also have the steak and lobster
Oh I get it........... but if guys that need a little push spend a month eating burnt hotdogs and soggy eggs, that sort of does away with the point of spending all that money on top notch food at the training table which equates to less than perfect results in the weight room.

I'd rather you feed them well and make them familiar with the sections and rows of the stadium....... up and down and up and down.

Reactions: EyesOnTexas
sounds like the voice of experience Clob!

I can see it now....

Coach:..OK Clob I want you to run those steps 25 times...

Clob: (snicker) no problem coach...

Coach: just for that smartassed remark Clob run till you drop....

Clob: Thanks coach, I would have never made 25 times....

I don't understand the mentality of a person that does not go 100% on scholarship. I did 12 hours a semester and 3 each summer semester. I also worked (phys labor) 6 hours 4-10pm mon-fri and closed the library afterward.

Well since you asked....... a group of us were involved in an off campus "altercation" at an establishment that happened to serve libations. Our punishment was as follows:

Machopr!ck: "ok, practice is over. I need all you guys involved to follow me........(he walks over to the home side of the stadium). Now, you guys are going to run up to the top until I get tired of watching you!"

So, we all take off. Up we go to the top of the first level and then down we come. We arrive at the bottom and he's standing there shaking his head.
"I said to the TOP!"

At one point he had a chair brought out on the field and was drinking lemonade.

It was a fun week...........

sounds like the voice of experience Clob!

I can see it now....

Coach:..OK Clob I want you to run those steps 25 times...

Clob: (snicker) no problem coach...

Coach: just for that smartassed remark Clob run till you drop....

Clob: Thanks coach, I would have never made 25 times....

Well since you asked....... a group of us were involved in an off campus "altercation" at an establishment that happened to serve libations. Our punishment was as follows:

Machopr!ck: "ok, practice is over. I need all you guys involved to follow me........(he walks over to the home side of the stadium). Now, you guys are going to run up to the top until I get tired of watching you!"

So, we all take off. Up we go to the top of the first level and then down we come. We arrive at the bottom and he's standing there shaking his head.
"I said to the TOP!"

At one point he had a chair brought out on the field and was drinking lemonade.

It was a fun week...........
omg - plz tell me his nickname for yall was really mach0pr*ck.. awesome.

Reactions: diadevic
omg - plz tell me his nickname for yall was really mach0pr*ck.. awesome.
I used to play in a regular poker game with some of the oline.....sometimes it was once a week, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Invariably, there was cold beer, pizza rolls, college kids creature comforts-- if you will. At some point the question was asked--- "If you had a car bomb......".

Mackoprick was undefeated and untied.

Clob.....so you were saying he had lost the locker room?
We won in spite of him. I knew we were fvcked one day when one of our players suggested that with our offensive talent, we should consider running some option plays. We had James Brown at QB, ran a legit 4.5 40. Ricky at full back, priest Holmes at tailback and shon Mitchell at the other tailback.

Mack was a "pro style" coach and he argued that "TV doesn't want to see that. They want teams to throw the ball. Look at Nebraska. They are on tv two maybe 3 times a year!"

"If we run our offense correctly, it will blossom like a beautiful flower."

^^^^^^^^^^ he said that. In a team meeting.......infront of all of us.

Man, we have made some sh*tty hires over the years.

At least Deloss didn’t get his way with Mackovic’s replacement.

(From Anwar)

This is usually the time when there are not a lot of team notes to report.
Texas recently signed players on signing day. There is usually not a lot of news to report from offseason workouts. Changes to the coaching staff have already been documented. Essentially, the heavy lifting is done. This is the time when we coast into spring football practice.

However, there are a few items of interest to report.

So far, Texas football coach Tom Herman has made a few changes this offseason. He hired former Auburn offensive coordinator Herb Hand to be his co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach. Hand will focus on the offensive line. That means former offensive line coach Derek Warehime was switched to tight ends. In addition, former tight end coach Corby Meekins was asked to help Drew Mehringer with the receivers.

In addition, there have been other noteworthy changes this offseason.
- Texas offensive lineman Patrick Hudson is in danger of missing the entire spring because of the knee injury he sustained last year. After conversations with more than one person associated with the program, Hudson may not hit the field again until training camp. If Hudson’s injury means he does not hit the field again until the fall, he will likely be buried on the depth chart until healthy.

- Speaking of Patricks, everyone associated with the program is optimistic Patrick Vahe will have a breakout year. From what I was told, it is time for Vahe to have a breakout season. Everyone enjoys Vahe as a person, but they are waiting for him to become a dominant offensive lineman. Everyone is optimistic Vahe will progress this season.

- This is the time of year when position changes occur, and Max Cummins appears to have a new home. From what I was told, Cummins has been switched from defensive line to tight end this offseason. During Cummins’ junior year, he caught nine passes for 290 yards and three touchdowns in high school. He is expected to add depth to the tight end room this season.
- Herman has tried to improve tight end room this year. The Longhorns signed Malcolm Epps, while also hoping Andrew Beck is 100 percent this season. In addition, Reese Leitao improved a lot throughout his redshirt freshman season. The addition of Cummins will add more bodies to the room.

- In addition to coaching receivers, I was told Meekins will have an expanded role on special teams. I do not have the specifics, but Meekins will be given the opportunity to prove himself in addition roles this offseason.

- Behind the scenes, there have been conversations about Andrew Fitzgerald moving to tight end. For now, Fitzgerald remains at defensive end, but like Cummins, there is a chance he moves to another position.

- Defensive back B.J. Foster, defensive back Caden Sterns and quarterback Cameron Rising are the leaders of this year’s freshmen class, according to people associated with the program. I have heard nothing but positives about each player this year. From what I can tell, they are the guys setting the example for every freshman this year.

- Everything you heard about former Texas running back Chris Warren III is true. Even if he returned to Texas this season, it is unlikely he would have been academically eligible. That is why Warren elected to turn pro instead of transferring.
(From Alex Dunlap)

Here are a few notes I picked up this week from a source about the football team's offseason workouts heading into spring ball:

- I asked who was leading practice -- as in which QB -- and was told the coaches are. This year certainly seems different from years past (especially those under Strong) where there was an early-morning workout with the strength and conditioning staff followed by throwing sessions and 7v7 stuff that was voluntary and without supervision later in the afternoon or evening

-- usually with the QBs and pass-catchers. Now there is an early morning workout with the strength and conditioning staff that is the running and conditioning workout and also an afternoon one where they run drills. Bags, cones, routes, WR/DB one-on-ones, etc. None of the regular coaches are allowed to be out there, but with the support staff that Texas has in place and the strength and conditioning department, it's more than enough to allow each group to have a supervisor.

- Everyone is out there, not just the skill guys. The OL and DL are out there working on their steps and moves as well. Everyone is hoping Denzel Okafor can make a big step this spring with an opportunity to get starting reps at LT.

- My projection of DE Andrew Fitzgerald to the offensive side of the ball (at TE) on the latest depth chart projection was premature. I'll be moving him back to D on the next update barring new info. While I'm confident that Fitzgerald may be in consideration for a future move to TE, as of this week he is still working out with the defensive line and no change to TE has been made at this point. We'll continue to keep an eye on this but I'm getting the feeling it has everything to do with Cade Brewer's recovery timeline from ACL surgery and the lack of depth it's created among guys who the staff can trust to block when lined up at the sniffer on split-zone/zone-slice concepts. Brewer was a pleasant surprise in most every aspect of his game and is surely already missed by the staff more than most fans probably see.

- The projection of LB Jeffrey McCulloch to inside linebacker on the latest depth chart projection seems to have been on the mark, at least. He was a player who was mentioned as making some nice plays in coverage. He could push to take reps away from Anthony Wheeler opposite Gary Johnson with the first group should he continue to make progress through spring. It certainly seems like every LB position outside of Gary Johnson's should be up for grabs, anyway. I'm most interested to see how McCulloch's body looks compared to last season where he came in seeming a little bulked up to come off the edge.

- As for other players who are standing out, a bunch of names you'd imagine: CB Kris Boyd, DE Charles Omenihu, DE Breckyn Hager and LB Gary Johnson.

- One interesting name tossed in among those established seniors? Early enrollee DB Caden Sterns. While I don't know where he's lining up, he has been apparently been looking like a "beast." Given the fact that Texas will run a lot of its sets this fall with six DBs, guys like Sterns and fellow freshman DB early enrollee B.J. Foster will have all the opportunities in the world this spring to show they are worthy of sub-package consideration when the team goes to its "Lightning" personnel. Sterns seems to be looking the part of a guy who could make an impact once the team goes live. It wouldn't be that surprising, the guy went bananas in the Army All-American game -- he showed he can ball on a big stage when the lights go on.

Man, we have made some sh*tty hires over the years.

At least Deloss didn’t get his way with Mackovic’s replacement.

i'm just curious. who was deloss' choice? only other name i heard was gary barnett, who was a very good coach, but... i mean, i'll take how it turned out. so was barnett the choice of deloss?

Barnett was NOT a good coach. He had one shining moment in the form of the 1995 season at Northwestern, which created a false reputation of greatness that fueled his entire career. Beyond that he was horrible. He had 5+ losses in 13 of his 15 seasons as a head coach, won all of 2 bowl games (two pissant bowls mind you), was an atrocious recruiter, and a complete a-hole. Basically he was John Mackovic with an even worse demeanor.

If you think about it, those Machoprick teams were loaded. That first Big 12 Championship team was basically our 2005 team, but with better RBs. Seriously, look down the roster on both sides of the ball. With decent coaching, there's another NC. Sad really that Machoprick held them back.

Reactions: outhereincali
(From Anwar)

This is usually the time when there are not a lot of team notes to report.
Texas recently signed players on signing day. There is usually not a lot of news to report from offseason workouts. Changes to the coaching staff have already been documented. Essentially, the heavy lifting is done. This is the time when we coast into spring football practice.

However, there are a few items of interest to report.

So far, Texas football coach Tom Herman has made a few changes this offseason. He hired former Auburn offensive coordinator Herb Hand to be his co-offensive coordinator/offensive line coach. Hand will focus on the offensive line. That means former offensive line coach Derek Warehime was switched to tight ends. In addition, former tight end coach Corby Meekins was asked to help Drew Mehringer with the receivers.

In addition, there have been other noteworthy changes this offseason.
- Texas offensive lineman Patrick Hudson is in danger of missing the entire spring because of the knee injury he sustained last year. After conversations with more than one person associated with the program, Hudson may not hit the field again until training camp. If Hudson’s injury means he does not hit the field again until the fall, he will likely be buried on the depth chart until healthy.

- Speaking of Patricks, everyone associated with the program is optimistic Patrick Vahe will have a breakout year. From what I was told, it is time for Vahe to have a breakout season. Everyone enjoys Vahe as a person, but they are waiting for him to become a dominant offensive lineman. Everyone is optimistic Vahe will progress this season.

- This is the time of year when position changes occur, and Max Cummins appears to have a new home. From what I was told, Cummins has been switched from defensive line to tight end this offseason. During Cummins’ junior year, he caught nine passes for 290 yards and three touchdowns in high school. He is expected to add depth to the tight end room this season.
- Herman has tried to improve tight end room this year. The Longhorns signed Malcolm Epps, while also hoping Andrew Beck is 100 percent this season. In addition, Reese Leitao improved a lot throughout his redshirt freshman season. The addition of Cummins will add more bodies to the room.

- In addition to coaching receivers, I was told Meekins will have an expanded role on special teams. I do not have the specifics, but Meekins will be given the opportunity to prove himself in addition roles this offseason.

- Behind the scenes, there have been conversations about Andrew Fitzgerald moving to tight end. For now, Fitzgerald remains at defensive end, but like Cummins, there is a chance he moves to another position.

- Defensive back B.J. Foster, defensive back Caden Sterns and quarterback Cameron Rising are the leaders of this year’s freshmen class, according to people associated with the program. I have heard nothing but positives about each player this year. From what I can tell, they are the guys setting the example for every freshman this year.

- Everything you heard about former Texas running back Chris Warren III is true. Even if he returned to Texas this season, it is unlikely he would have been academically eligible. That is why Warren elected to turn pro instead of transferring.
(From Alex Dunlap)

Here are a few notes I picked up this week from a source about the football team's offseason workouts heading into spring ball:

- I asked who was leading practice -- as in which QB -- and was told the coaches are. This year certainly seems different from years past (especially those under Strong) where there was an early-morning workout with the strength and conditioning staff followed by throwing sessions and 7v7 stuff that was voluntary and without supervision later in the afternoon or evening

-- usually with the QBs and pass-catchers. Now there is an early morning workout with the strength and conditioning staff that is the running and conditioning workout and also an afternoon one where they run drills. Bags, cones, routes, WR/DB one-on-ones, etc. None of the regular coaches are allowed to be out there, but with the support staff that Texas has in place and the strength and conditioning department, it's more than enough to allow each group to have a supervisor.

- Everyone is out there, not just the skill guys. The OL and DL are out there working on their steps and moves as well. Everyone is hoping Denzel Okafor can make a big step this spring with an opportunity to get starting reps at LT.

- My projection of DE Andrew Fitzgerald to the offensive side of the ball (at TE) on the latest depth chart projection was premature. I'll be moving him back to D on the next update barring new info. While I'm confident that Fitzgerald may be in consideration for a future move to TE, as of this week he is still working out with the defensive line and no change to TE has been made at this point. We'll continue to keep an eye on this but I'm getting the feeling it has everything to do with Cade Brewer's recovery timeline from ACL surgery and the lack of depth it's created among guys who the staff can trust to block when lined up at the sniffer on split-zone/zone-slice concepts. Brewer was a pleasant surprise in most every aspect of his game and is surely already missed by the staff more than most fans probably see.

- The projection of LB Jeffrey McCulloch to inside linebacker on the latest depth chart projection seems to have been on the mark, at least. He was a player who was mentioned as making some nice plays in coverage. He could push to take reps away from Anthony Wheeler opposite Gary Johnson with the first group should he continue to make progress through spring. It certainly seems like every LB position outside of Gary Johnson's should be up for grabs, anyway. I'm most interested to see how McCulloch's body looks compared to last season where he came in seeming a little bulked up to come off the edge.

- As for other players who are standing out, a bunch of names you'd imagine: CB Kris Boyd, DE Charles Omenihu, DE Breckyn Hager and LB Gary Johnson.

- One interesting name tossed in among those established seniors? Early enrollee DB Caden Sterns. While I don't know where he's lining up, he has been apparently been looking like a "beast." Given the fact that Texas will run a lot of its sets this fall with six DBs, guys like Sterns and fellow freshman DB early enrollee B.J. Foster will have all the opportunities in the world this spring to show they are worthy of sub-package consideration when the team goes to its "Lightning" personnel. Sterns seems to be looking the part of a guy who could make an impact once the team goes live. It wouldn't be that surprising, the guy went bananas in the Army All-American game -- he showed he can ball on a big stage when the lights go on.

What's up with Tope Imade? Is he just not any good, been hurt, doesn't give a shit?

Never seems to be mentioned in any way. I'm pretty sure he's on the roster.

Reactions: oldhorn2
What's up with Tope Imade? Is he just not any good, been hurt, doesn't give a shit?

Good question. I know he redshirted, got moved to DT temporarily after the exodus of DT's and moved back to OL last season. I'm more worried about Urquidez at OT.

^^^^^
THIS!!!!
Barnett sucked!

uh....a few posts came inbetween where I meant this post.

He was always a long shot. He was signed by Strong pretty much entirely as a project based on his size and weight room strength and not on any real football ability. His HS film was thoroughly uninspiring. He's basically practice fodder at the Power 5 level, hence his pinballing from offense, to defense, back to offense....

Good question. I know he redshirted, got moved to DT temporarily after the exodus of DT's and moved back to OL last season. I'm more worried about Urquidez at OT.
Urquidez is a lost cause as he's simply proven completely incapable of adding and maintaining anywhere near the requisite bulk and strength for OL play at this level. Even at the end of this past season he was still built more like a TE....and a lean one at that.

Nice notes on offseason work.

(From Anwar)
Texas football coach Tom Herman was definitely enjoying himself on Thursday.

Herman was the guest of honor during Texas’s baseball game against Stanford on Thursday night. Herman announced the starting lineups for both teams, threw out the first pitch, and then participated in more public announcing activities. He was in a great mood throughout the night. He correctly pronounced every single name. He even tried to channel his inner Ray Clay, the famous Chicago Bulls announcer from the 90s. Herman also threw a pretty good first pitch after being forced to wait for the umpires to complete their conversation with each manager.
Most Texas fans do not get to see this side of Herman. They are accustomed to seeing him dissect questions during press conferences. It is hard for Herman to show his persona when he is fielding queries about his offense, key players on both sides of the ball, opposing teams, recruiting, and countless other topics. Herman’s giddiness on Thursday is how the head coach usually acts when allowed to breathe and be himself.
Well, Herman is also happy about his football team.
This news will excite Longhorn fans, too.

When I “ran” into Herman during the game, he gave me two minutes to ask questions as we walked and talked after his first pitch. I may have left after the game after my brief interview, but the $17 ticket was worth the opportunity to “run” into Herman.

I asked Herman how winter conditioning was going for his team this offseason, and his answer caught me off guard

“Awesome,” Herman said.

Herman had such glee on his face while giving that answer. In over a year of covering Herman, I cannot remember Herman’s visual excitement. Sure, Herman has praised his players before. He said great things about them during last year’s training camp. However, there was something different about Herman’s excitement when I spoke to him.

Here was Herman’s explanation for his enthusiasm.
“We tested in the weight room this past week,” Herman said. “I think we had close to, if not over, 40 guys that power-cleaned over 300 pounds. We had a bunch of guys squat over 500 pounds. The guys, they’re in as good of a shape as they’ve been in their lives. Guys like (receiver) Jerrod Heard. It’s a shame we’ve only had him for a year. He’s added 80 pounds to his squat max since we’ve gotten here, and he has power-cleaned like 315 pounds.”
Obviously, the weight room success can be attributed to Yancy McKnight, Texas’ strength and conditioning coach.
As I previously reported, guys were having a much easier time this offseason than last year because they are used to the training routine and coaches. When Herman took over in 2016, the team had missed two straight bowl games and extra practices in December. McKnight had to spend the first few weeks just getting guys in shape. He also had to get players used to the high practice expectations of the staff. Players were not allowed to loaf in practice. They were expected to go the extra mile at all times Herman wanted guys to always compete because he wanted to rid his program of its losing mentality. This year’s group knows exactly want to expect, and they are meeting the expectations of everyone in the building.

I asked Herman if he could pinpoint a difference between his team right now as opposed to this time last year. Herman talked about the different energy within the Texas football program.
“I know it sounds like a broken record, but there’s a different feel,” Herman said. “There’s a different energy. There’s a much different positivity. I’m not ready to go as far as to say we’re all committed at this point. The guys stayed for a reason. Those that stayed, in my opinion, stayed because they believe in how we’re doing things.”

Herman does have a point.

While there was talk about a potential mass exodus after last season, but it never occurred. I pointed this out last week, but six juniors left to enter the NFL draft. Three players (Jake McMillon, Terrell Cuney and Garrett Gray) have seemingly quit football and appear ready to focus on graduating and getting a job. Former receiver Reggie Hemphill-Mapps is currently the only player who was unhappy and left, which is far from a mass exodus some believed was going to occur.

Time will tell if the current locker room vibe leads to success this season, but it is a total 180 of what was being said last year. Herman has seemingly found a way to connect with his players, and they appear to enjoy his new approach. After three-straight losing seasons prior to his arrival, the second-year coach is excelling in strengthening relationships with his players, and players are embracing the new approach.
It is easy to understand why Herman has a smile on his face.

ADVERTISEMENT