ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Texas Longhorns season predictions

How many wins will the Longhorns end the 2018 season with?

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 3.1%

Votes: 4 4.1%

Votes: 20 20.6%

Votes: 27 27.8%

Votes: 17 17.5%

Votes: 11 11.3%

Votes: 7 7.2%

Votes: 7 7.2%

• Total voters
Is this the UT prediction thread? Just checking.
So you think I'm winning? Just kidding.

It is the off-season and we are just having a friendly debate, no childish name calling or attacks. q1w2e3 and Clob94 are both ok in my book.

Now call me lesser so I'll know you aren't mad.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Just wondering why the main poster in the UT prediction thread is an aggy touting the SEC that’s all. Thought you didn’t want to play.

Just wondering why the main poster in the UT prediction thread is an aggy touting the SEC that’s all. Thought you didn’t want to play.
Scholz..... firing strikes from the bullpen. Easy my man..... the 8th inning is coming.

We have an average offense who can develop into a slightly above average offense. Even with our very good running backs and elite receiving corps cannot make up for our quarterbacks, offensive line and offensive play calling. Our D will keep us in most games unless they get sick of bailing us out of successive 3 and outs. If we can get average production from the offense, we win 8 games.

RB room is so good we brought in a grad transfer! C. Johnson and LJH have the size to be elite but LJH is the only one of the two catching it in traffic. CJ will wow you and follow it up by blowing the routine catch.

The season will depend on improvement of the O line which is once again largely a function of the health of the starters. Quality depth still isn’t there. Will be the difference between reaching 8-ish wins and being a contender.

So let me get this straight. Players come into the SEC much more highly thought of than those coming into the BIG12. The average class in the SEC ranks just over 20th nationally, whereas the average BIG12 class comes in around 40th.

Then when those players are available to be drafted by the NFL 3 times more get selected from the SEC than the BIG12.

But somehow magically, there is a 4 year window where players not nearly as good coming or going are equal for 4 years. Even with this magical 4 year transformation, the SEC has won 9 of the last 12 national champions, and even if Alabama didn't count - they would still have 100% more championships than any other conference over that period. And even without Alabama, the SEC would have more championships than all other conference combined over that period.

So I am struggling to see why you want to argue schedules. Why not just say you think Texas would likely beat A&M if they played this year, I would agree with you.
So let me get this straight. Players come into the SEC much more highly thought of than those coming into the BIG12. The average class in the SEC ranks just over 20 nationally, whereas the average BIG12 class comes in around 40th.

"much more highly thought of" is hyperbole

Then when those players are available to be drafted by the NFL 3 times more get selected from the SEC than the BIG12.

Not sure how you came up with this number, but it's not true.

But somehow magically, there is a 4 year window where players not nearly as good coming or going are equal for 4 years. Even with this magical 4 year transformation, the SEC has won 9 of the last 12 national champions, and even if Alabama didn't count - they would still have 100% more championships than any other conference over that period. And even without Alabama, the SEC would have more championships than all other conference combined over that period.

Not only were your numbers off again, but we need to clarify something. Conferences don't win national championships, a single team does. I know ya'll are in the habit of piggy-backing off of any success other teams in your conference have like it's your own, but a national championship is one team vs. another.

Further, no one is claiming the SEC hasn't been good at the very top (at least in that very convenient for you time frame you picked). Most seasons they have at least one if not two very good teams at the top. And on top of that, seven of those nine championships were won by Nick Saban and Urban Meyer. Those two coaches win regardless of conference. However, what we are supposed to be discussing is a conference. The whole conference.

And last, the facts of reality still remain.....during those four years of college football you speak of the SEC, AS A WHOLE, does not dominate or offer any superiority on any consistent basis in actual football games. I could go on an on of examples of that. So why argue about abstract, subjective measures like high school recruiting rankings and not the results on the field?

So I am struggling to see why you want to argue schedules. Why not just say you think Texas would likely beat A&M if they played this year, I would agree with you

I don't want to argue schedules, I'm just providing evidence against the suggestion you started on this very thread, and the endless Aggie claims that their schedule year in year out is just out of this world brutal and the Big 12 is so easy (ironic) and the worst conference and so on.

So let me get this straight. Players come into the SEC much more highly thought of than those coming into the BIG12. The average class in the SEC ranks just over 20 nationally, whereas the average BIG12 class comes in around 40th.

"much more highly thought of" is hyperbole

Not sure how you came up with this number, but it's not true.

Not only were your numbers off again, but we need to clarify something. Conferences don't win national championships, a single team does. I know ya'll are in the habit of piggy-backing off of any success other teams in your conference have like it's your own, but a national championship is one team vs. another.

Further, no one is claiming the SEC hasn't been good at the very top (at least in that very convenient for you time frame you picked). Most seasons they have at least one if not two very good teams at the top. And on top of that, seven of those nine championships were won by Nick Saban and Urban Meyer. Those two coaches win regardless of conference. However, what we are supposed to be discussing is a conference. The whole conference.

And last, the facts of reality still remain.....during those four years of college football you speak of the SEC, AS A WHOLE, does not dominate or offer any superiority on any consistent basis in actual football games. I could go on an on of examples of that. So why argue about abstract, subjective measures like high school recruiting rankings and not the results on the field?

So I am struggling to see why you want to argue schedules. Why not just say you think Texas would likely beat A&M if they played this year, I would agree with you

I don't want to argue schedules, I'm just providing evidence against the suggestion you started on this very thread, and the endless Aggie claims that their schedule year in year out is just out of this world brutal and the Big 12 is so easy (ironic) and the worst conference and so on.
I don't know how to debate you on who brings in the better players. An average class of 20th seems much better than 40th. But I guess that is debatable.

3X more NFL draft picks. I looked at the last 2 years and the totals were 106 to 34. Maybe those years are an anomaly, so I will change it to well over 2 times as many drafted players.

National Champs last dozen years
2006 Florida (not Bama SEC)
2007 LSU (not Bama SEC)
2008 Florida (not Bama SEC)
2009 Alabama
2010 Auburn (not Bama SEC)
2011 Alabama
2012 Alabama
2013 Florida St (ACC)
2014 Ohio St (BIG10)
2015 Alabama
2016 Clemson (ACC)
2017 Alabama
Pretty sure my numbers were correct the first time.

Bama should not have even been in the playoff last year. The committee basically said had Wisconsin gone undefeated that Bama would have still made it over them. Winning a P5 conference is meaningless according to them. It's completely arbitrary. And yet neither TCU or Baylor got in because the committee said there wasn't a B12 title game.

The playoff committee makes it up as they go along.

RB room is so good we brought in a grad transfer! C. Johnson and LJH have the size to be elite but LJH is the only one of the two catching it in traffic. CJ will wow you and follow it up by blowing the routine catch.
I may be in the minority, but, I just love what Daniel Young brings. Toneil Carter I also like quite a bit, but to a lesser extent. I think I will be proven right as the season rolls along.
As far as the receivers go, don't sleep on Duvernay. We will see how this group performs, but, I was just convinced it was coaching when Strong was around and last year our OL allowed our QBs a fraction of a second to get the ball off before getting pounded. I think some improvement in the OL and QB will allow our receivers to get down field and make some plays.

I may be in the minority, but, I just love what Daniel Young brings. Toneil Carter I also like quite a bit, but to a lesser extent. I think I will be proven right as the season rolls along.
As far as the receivers go, don't sleep on Duvernay. We will see how this group performs, but, I was just convinced it was coaching when Strong was around and last year our OL allowed our QBs a fraction of a second to get the ball off before getting pounded. I think some improvement in the OL and QB will allow our receivers to get down field and make some plays.

I don't know why but every time I hear the name Toneil Carter I keep wanting to say toenail Carter.

Reactions: JHop6714 and westx

Young was easily the best RB last year. Carter needs to fix his fumbling issues or he is not going to see the field much. It won't be hard for Ingram to take Carter's reps.

Last edited:
Reactions: JHop6714
Who voted for 5!?! We had distractions and injuries last year and we went 7-6.

:rolleyes:

I sure hope it was an aggy or gooner and not a "fan".

Who voted for 5!?! We had distractions and injuries last year and we went 7-6.

:rolleyes:

I sure hope it was an aggy or gooner and not a "fan".

Terrible OL and three 4th quarter or overtime boneheaded plays by a true freshmen QB from 3 more wins last year is why I'm in the 9-3 should be the expectation camp. An average OL and teaching Ehlinger to throw it way would be a difference maker.

Last edited:
Terrible OL and three 4th quarter or overtime boneheaded plays by a true freshmen QB from 3 more wins last year is why I'm in the 9-3 camp. An average OL and teaching Ehlinger to throw it way would be a difference maker.
I agree with you.

I also can't really see where the losses would come from in such a doomsday scenario. I can see losing to USC, OU, TCU, West Virginia. Maybe Kansas State and Oklahoma State? Even then we'd be at 6-6 and Herman would be on the hot seat.

I would like to see Ryan Bujcevski and Cameron Dicker start in the first game. Maybe Michael Dickson has started a tradition of Australian rugby style kickers at Texas and Ryan Bujcevski is next in line. We haven't had a good kicker since Anthony Fera in 2013. I'd love to see Dicker come in make is forget about Joshua Rowland.

Good defense and a good kicking game would go a long way to hitting the 9 win mark.

Reactions: ASURAM2010
I would like to see Ryan Bujcevski and Cameron Dicker start in the first game. Maybe Michael Dickson has started a tradition of Australian rugby style kickers at Texas and Ryan Bujcevski is next in line. We haven't had a good kicker since Anthony Fera in 2013. I'd love to see Dicker come in make is forget about Joshua Rowland.

Good defense and a good kicking game would go a long way to hitting the 9 win mark.

Our punting was All-Pro the last 2 years. I dont expect even half that and that's not a bad thing. Definitely more concerned with kickoffs and FGs. Dicker should be at least as good as what we've already got right?

Our punting was All-Pro the last 2 years. I dont expect even half that and that's not a bad thing. Definitely more concerned with kickoffs and FGs. Dicker should be at least as good as what we've already got right?
If Dicker isn't a good kicker then maybe he can try adult cinema. Got the name for it.

Anthoy Fera??? Pedo state guy?? I thought he was below average at best.

^^^
Fera is tied Dawson for the UT consecutive FGs made record with 15. He is the only other Texas all Big 12 first team PK than Dawson. He made a 50 yarder. I don't think we tried much over 35 yards this past season. He wasn't recovered from his injury for his Jr year but had an excellent Sr year. As a punter he was up there with Dicko for pinning teams back.

Last edited:
^^^
Fera is tied Dawson for the UT consecutive FGs made record with 15. He is the only other Texas all Big 12 first team PK than Dawson. He made a 50 yarder. I don't think we tried much over 35 yards this past season. He wasn't recovered from his injury for his Jr year but had an excellent Sr year. As a punter he was up there with Dicko for pinning teams back.

Fera as arguably the MVP on the 2013 team. That was MB's last year we finished 8/4 and made it to the title game. Imo Anthony Fera and interim dc Greg Robinson were the reasons we got there.

So this is my prediction for 2018. I think we'll have a solid defense this year. I think we'll have one of the best secondaries in the country maybe the best by years end. I'm hoping for a solid kicking game from Dicker and Bujcevski. And the offense is almost certain to be improved they can't be any worse.

But I think our biggest asset is that in Coach Herman's second year we now have a team that has bought into Coach Herman's vision.
You could see it in the way they played in the Houston Bowl. The coaches had a game plan that suited what the offense was capable of doing and it was probably their best game of the year. And even without Jefferson, Hill, and Elliott, our defense played great. And I attribute that to the players that played in the game and are now solidly behind Coach Herman. And I've been thinking maybe all this off the wall talking about defensive players and their vertical leap is Coach Herman's way of saying we have a team that is physically ready to play not just on opening night but for a whole season. Don't laugh for the last 20 years Texas hasn't had a s&c coach that could do that. I mean he's also talked about how much weight the players have lost and that they're rebuilding their bodies. Maybe there's a method to the madness.

So yeah I really think we can win 9.

And who knows with the coaching staff being intact John Burt III may finally learn how to hang onto the ball.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT