ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Texas Longhorns season predictions

How many wins will the Longhorns end the 2018 season with?

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 3.1%

Votes: 4 4.1%

Votes: 20 20.6%

Votes: 27 27.8%

Votes: 17 17.5%

Votes: 11 11.3%

Votes: 7 7.2%

Votes: 7 7.2%

• Total voters
And who knows with the coaching staff being intact John Burt III may finally learn how to hang onto the ball.
I just want that guy to do something. He's got so much freaking talent, he just can't put it all together.

Anthoy Fera??? Pedo state guy?? I thought he was below average at best.

Oldhorn, you must just be thinking of 2012, when he was hampered by a groin injury. He was a consensus first-team All-American and Texas’s first ever Lou Groza finalist in 2013.

Oldhorn, you must just be thinking of 2012, when he was hampered by a groin injury. He was a consensus first-team All-American and Texas’s first ever Lou Groza finalist in 2013.

Yeah I dont remember this either. Must have been abducted by aliens that season.

If a 20 year old still hasn't figured out how to catch a ball, no coach is gonna make it happen.

I seem to remember Mike Leach being pretty good at "teaching" receivers to catch. Back then tech could sling it fairly well. He was an ass.

So this is my prediction for 2018. I think we'll have a solid defense this year. I think we'll have one of the best secondaries in the country maybe the best by years end. I'm hoping for a solid kicking game from Dicker and Bujcevski. And the offense is almost certain to be improved they can't be any worse.

But I think our biggest asset is that in Coach Herman's second year we now have a team that has bought into Coach Herman's vision.
You could see it in the way they played in the Houston Bowl. The coaches had a game plan that suited what the offense was capable of doing and it was probably their best game of the year. And even without Jefferson, Hill, and Elliott, our defense played great. And I attribute that to the players that played in the game and are now solidly behind Coach Herman. And I've been thinking maybe all this off the wall talking about defensive players and their vertical leap is Coach Herman's way of saying we have a team that is physically ready to play not just on opening night but for a whole season. Don't laugh for the last 20 years Texas hasn't had a s&c coach that could do that. I mean he's also talked about how much weight the players have lost and that they're rebuilding their bodies. Maybe there's a method to the madness.

So yeah I really think we can win 9.
Good post. However, I'm curious where you get that the bowl game was the best offensive showing of the season? It was pretty bad IMO, maybe one of the worst of the season....267 total yards of offense on only 3.8 yards per play! Running game was awful...2.7 yards/rush. And Mizzou did not have a good defense by any means last season...

The offense scored three touchdowns total with one of those being a gift from the defense on D. Davis' interception inside the Mizzou 20 yard line. The defense scored the other touchdown plus a safety.

This was all with Herman calling the plays...

Good post. However, I'm curious where you get that the bowl game was the best offensive showing of the season? It was pretty bad IMO, maybe one of the worst of the season....267 total yards of offense on only 3.8 yards per play! Running game was awful...2.7 yards/rush. And Mizzou did not have a good defense by any means last season...

The offense scored three touchdowns total with one of those being a gift from the defense on D. Davis' interception inside the Mizzou 20 yard line. The defense scored the other touchdown plus a safety.

This was all with Herman calling the plays...

If I recall correctly we didn't have many penalties or to's in the game. It just seemed like we had a game plan that was designed for what they were capable of doing. And it was good enough to help us win.

If I recall correctly we didn't have many penalties or to's in the game. It just seemed like we had a game plan that was designed for what they were capable of doing. And it was good enough to help us win.
The offense didn't blow anyone away in the bowl game. However, we seemed competent and were able to pull off plays and get the ball in the end zone, which was a marked improvement, especially after the Texas Tech debacle.

I seem to remember Mike Leach being pretty good at "teaching" receivers to catch. Back then tech could sling it fairly well. He was an ass.

Having good hands is the issue. If you haven't figured it out by your 3rd year in college its not the coaching.

Having good hands is the issue. If you haven't figured it out by your 3rd year in college its not the coaching.
I hope we never throw another ball to John Burt. How many 20, 30, 40, 50 yard gains have we left in the dust because a perfectly-thrown football went through his fingers...

I'm very excited about the new redshirt rule. I think it will allow us to rotate in some people in key defensive positions, as well as try out some freshmen OLine at various points throughout the season, without costing us the redshirt. I think the biggest help (beside the OL) will be for QBs. If Cameron Rising is indeed a little ahead of Casey Thompson, then Cameron could take some snaps in earlier games while Casey develops more and he could take some snaps in later games. This would allow both of them to get real-time in-game practice in 1 or 2 games before the end of the season. That would preserve their ability to play in the Big XII championship or Bowl Game, still as a redshirt freshman, and would protect their 4 years of eligibility.

What games do y'all think wise for Herman to try out this rule?

I know it'll be early in the season and you don't want to disrupt offensive momentum, but (hopefully) by the second half of the Tulsa game we will have a comfortable lead. I would start right there with CR. Get him some real reps while you can, because the next 4 games have no room for messing around.

The next game I think would be smart is probably the Baylor game. We have them at home, so again, in 3rd or 4th quarter, may be a smart time to roll in CR again or try out CT.

That leaves the final 2 games against Iowa State and Kansas. If we are winning those games comfortably, then by all means let the starters rest and play the freshmen. They will have had an entire season to grow and learn the system, and it'll be a perfect time to burn one or two game opportunities, still saving room in their 4-game redshirt season for championship or bowl disaster scenarios.

While it would be stupid, you could RS the entire QB room under the new rules as neither Buechele nor Ehlinger have red shirted. 4 QBs for 12-14 games.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrinkToIt
Seems like several players aren't quite at 100% yet, while recovering. Gives room for some fresh surprises to potentially play in weeks 1 and 2.

I saw an interesting point to the affect of does a few games of a red shirt film make more guys likely to enter the draft after their So year?

I saw an interesting point to the affect of does a few games of a red shirt film make more guys likely to enter the draft after their So year?
Meh....... most guys good enough to go pro after their sophomore years don't red shirt. If you're that good, you're getting playing time year one.

If it's a skill player, you should be playing year 1 or it was a recruiting mistake. The bigs need a year to adjust.

Saturday Oct. 6 at Oklahoma Sooners
Cotton Bowl Stadium, Dallas, TX
Last year's late-game loss and Baker's antics will give our team enough motivation to take this one. I predict a win by 10-14 points in Dallas.
WIN 4-2

And you don't think the Sooners are eager to slam Sam's head to the turf again for this little tweet he made this past spring about Orlando Brown???

Sounds petty
Not at all! I think OU is going to beat Texas pretty soundly this year, both in Dallas and potentially in the Big XII Championship as well. Our recruiting classes from 2016 and 2017 are beginning to take effect this year that will define our chances of returning to the Playoff, whereas Texas struggled both those years in recruiting and it's going to show especially with all the playmakers you lost to the draft last year as well as Connor Williams.

Tom Herman will need a few more top notch recruiting classes if you want any chance at competing with OU again.

Who is Orlando Brown?
Sooner's starting left tackle. Drafted third round. It's actually Orlando brown Jr. His old man went to south Carolina state and was undrafted and signed by cleveland. Had a pretty decent career. Died of diabetes in 2011.

Reactions: RCSooner
Not at all! I think OU is going to beat Texas pretty soundly this year, both in Dallas and potentially in the Big XII Championship as well. Our recruiting classes from 2016 and 2017 are beginning to take effect this year that will define our chances of returning to the Playoff, whereas Texas struggled both those years in recruiting and it's going to show especially with all the playmakers you lost to the draft last year as well as Connor Williams.

Tom Herman will need a few more top notch recruiting classes if you want any chance at competing with OU again.

Your last statement is hilarious.

I appreciate your optimism, but they should have blasted Texas last year based on your logic and that simply didn't happen, it took late heroics from a TE streaking down the opposite sideline to get it done. Also, I think OU will be noticeably off on offense and defense in 2018. Simply not at the same caliber of 2017. Baker was legit.

Texas won't miss much on defense, Many of those "lost" characters performed well simply based off the scheme.

Texas had a top ten class in 2016 and then they went through the transition in 2017 and still pulled valuable assets closing out with merely 18 kids to finish 25th. lol... No need to mention the top 5 class from this past cycle and the new redshirt rule...

You do realize that Connor was not good last year and missed 6-7 games, right?

Should be fun if Texas has any semblance of an offense.

Terrible OL and three 4th quarter or overtime boneheaded plays by a true freshmen QB from 3 more wins last year is why I'm in the 9-3 should be the expectation camp. An average OL and teaching Ehlinger to throw it way would be a difference maker.
Is Ehlinger y'alls starter? To me this and your OL would be the biggest area for improvement that I see needing to take place for UT to have a successful year.

ADVERTISEMENT