ADVERTISEMENT

2018 Texas Longhorns season predictions

How many wins will the Longhorns end the 2018 season with?

Votes: 1 1.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 3 3.1%

Votes: 4 4.1%

Votes: 20 20.6%

Votes: 27 27.8%

Votes: 17 17.5%

Votes: 11 11.3%

Votes: 7 7.2%

Votes: 7 7.2%

• Total voters
Your last statement is hilarious.

I appreciate your optimism, but they should have blasted Texas last year based on your logic and that simply didn't happen, it took late heroics from a TE streaking down the opposite sideline to get it done. Also, I think OU will be noticeably off on offense and defense in 2018. Simply not at the same caliber of 2017. Baker was legit.

Texas won't miss much on defense, Many of those "lost" characters performed well simply based off the scheme.

Texas had a top ten class in 2016 and then they went through the transition in 2017 and still pulled valuable assets closing out with merely 18 kids to finish 25th. lol... No need to mention the top 5 class from this past cycle and the new redshirt rule...

You do realize that Connor was not good last year and missed 6-7 games, right?

Should be fun if Texas has any semblance of an offense.
The only reason the RRS was even close last year was the referees let your defense get away with late hits on Baker Mayfield that threw him off his rhythm until the fourth quarter strike to Andrews. Our defense, which was our Achilles heel all season, was able to keep your offense in check in spite of your All-America punter giving your team the field position edge all game, and he also happened to be your bowl MVP in your win against maybe the fifth best program in the SEC East and has since departed for the NFL.

Your secondary will have a difficult time being able to cover Hollywood Brown, Ceedee Lamb and Charleston Rambo much like last season, and I would worry about your safeties being able to play center field without Elliott, and LR will be able to exploit weaknesses in your defense by being able to throw it to the backs or the tight end with wheel-and-go routes to keep your defense honest until he calls the deep routes in which our receivers will blaze passed your secondary for big gains. Even the dreaded trick plays (see Sermon's 42-yard pass to Brown last year) can be called at very inopportune times for you.

Not to mention our offensive line will hold the advantage in the running game, and the team with the most rushing yards in the RRS has won every game except one this century. That especially bodes well for OU with Kyler Murray at quarterback and the Rose Bowl's leading rusher last year in Rodney Anderson.

I would certainly expect Texas to be much improved from the past several years, but your talent level simply does not match OU's right now and mass depletions from your 2015-16 recruiting classes are going to hinder you this year and without a Heisman contender at quarterback, I just don't see Texas being any better than a 3 loss team this season.

The only reason the RRS was even close last year was the referees let your defense get away with late hits on Baker Mayfield that threw him off his rhythm until the fourth quarter strike to Andrews. Our defense, which was our Achilles heel all season, was able to keep your offense in check in spite of your All-America punter giving your team the field position edge all game, and he also happened to be your bowl MVP in your win against maybe the fifth best program in the SEC East and has since departed for the NFL.

Your secondary will have a difficult time being able to cover Hollywood Brown, Ceedee Lamb and Charleston Rambo much like last season, and I would worry about your safeties being able to play center field without Elliott, and LR will be able to exploit weaknesses in your defense by being able to throw it to the backs or the tight end with wheel-and-go routes to keep your defense honest until he calls the deep routes in which our receivers will blaze passed your secondary for big gains. Even the dreaded trick plays (see Sermon's 42-yard pass to Brown last year) can be called at very inopportune times for you.

Not to mention our offensive line will hold the advantage in the running game, and the team with the most rushing yards in the RRS has won every game except one this century. That especially bodes well for OU with Kyler Murray at quarterback and the Rose Bowl's leading rusher last year in Rodney Anderson.

I would certainly expect Texas to be much improved from the past several years, but your talent level simply does not match OU's right now and mass depletions from your 2015-16 recruiting classes are going to hinder you this year and without a Heisman contender at quarterback, I just don't see Texas being any better than a 3 loss team this season.

You're trying to be arrogant but what you really are is ignorant. Who do you think the Texas Longhorns are a bunch of small children? You act as if playing Texas is no different than playing Kansas.

And one final thought since you think we're going to be so overmatched. 3 years ago we we're overmatched but guess what

TX 24
OK 17

Lol, it’s good to see you’re buying stock in Mike Stoops. You got beat by the Herp derp squad a few years ago... don’t give me that talent bullshit unless you’re an Aggy sock.

It’s a rivalry game.

While Texas will have its issues, you’re all sunshine.

Texas may have the or one of the best defensive backfields in the country in 2018.

Texas ain’t back, but this year is going to be fun.

Last edited:
Reactions: outhereincali
You're trying to be arrogant but what you really are is ignorant. Who do you think the Texas Longhorns are a bunch of small children? You act as if playing Texas is no different than playing Kansas.

And one final thought since you think we're going to be so overmatched. 3 years ago we we're overmatched but guess what

TX 24
OK 17
And since then, LR's offense has been fully implemented into the OU football team and D'Onta Foreman is no longer carrying the football for Texas. Your offensive playcaller that day was Jay Norvell, who knew how to outcoach the Stoops brothers after serving eight years with them.

RC, put the crack pipe down. OU ain't all that. You kids lost several key offensive players last year and your defense sucks, and it will suck again this year. To hear you talk, Texas shouldn't even show up for the RRR this year because the wife beaters are far, far superior. Gimme a friggin break. :rolleyes:

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Kinda like how we couldn't replace Sterling Shepard in 2016 or Dede Westbrook, Joe Mixon and Samaje Perine in 2017. We can't replace Baker or Andrews or even Dimitri Flowers this year, but never mind the fact that Lincoln Riley's offenses have broken numerous offensive records each year since he began his career as an OC at East Carolina. AND his offenses have been nothing short of spectacular since he came over to Norman.

We'll be hearing from you all next year about how we can't replace Rodney Anderson or Marquise Brown if both decide to leave early for the NFL. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Oh yeah, AND Kyler Murray... Sorry, I needed to rub that one in! ;)

Last edited:
Lol. I'd love to see you cry in a couple months after OU takes that ass whoopin'. See you in October, loser.

Reactions: LonghornMM
"The only reason the RRS was even close last year was the referees let your defense get away with late hits on Baker Mayfield that threw him off his rhythm until the fourth quarter strike to Andrews. Our defense, which was our Achilles heel all season, was able to keep your offense in check in spite of your All-America punter giving your team the field position edge all game, and he also happened to be your bowl MVP in your win against maybe the fifth best program in the SEC East and has since departed for the NFL.

I would certainly expect Texas to be much improved from the past several years, but your talent level simply does not match OU's right now and mass depletions from your 2015-16 recruiting classes are going to hinder you this year and without a Heisman contender at quarterback, I just don't see Texas being any better than a 3 loss team this season"

Well that settles it.....call the coaches and call this game off!!! Looks like RC was kicked out of his trailer park bonfire a little early this evening.....had to vent somewhere.

I hope Joey Freshwater doesn't beat them 9/1....lol

As for his so called talent gap, every game has been competitive from Macks last in 2013 through all the crap leading up to this year with Texas going 2-3 with a rather iffy squad on any given Saturday. lol

There isn't a talent gap. Texas has lacked a QB since Colt departed for the NFL, but the QB room is starting to look much better and has depth.

247 team composite had Texas above OU in 2017 and they will be again in 2018, but hey.. you brought recruiting stars into this discussion. It means very little to me.

This will be the first season in five years that our offense will be running the same scheme in consecutive years. It's a plus, a big plus.

Last edited:
On a serious note, I do look forward to another good game in Dallas on October 6th.

To be honest, the only way I see Texas winning is if your defense creates a lot of turnovers and if your offense can outgain us on the ground. But that's going to be a really daunting task considering Riley's offense specializes in offensive efficiency and limiting mistakes. Execution has been one of OU's strengths since Riley came over.

Oklahoma was in the playoff last year. One of the top 4 teams in the nation. And yet, they nearly lost to 6-6 Texas. A Texas team that's apparently terrible in all aspects and can't come close to competing with OU...and yet, 29-24? Hmm. Well. No reason to play that game I guess.

1-10 Baylor also came close against us, yet 6-6 Texas all of a sudden will have a season as magical as the 2007 Giants on their postseason run.

Well anything can happen I guess, but I'd have to see what Herman can do in his second year to believe it. Does Herman even have a quarterback who has proven to be an effective leader like 2000 Oklahoma with Josh Heupel in Stoops' second year? Or 2006 Florida when they had Chris Leak and Tim Tebow in Meyer's second year in Gainesville? Or even a quarterback as multi-talented as Cam Newton for 2010 Auburn???

The years a second year head coach won a national championship weren't done without exceptional quarterback play. Something Herman sorely lacks unless Ehlinger or Buechele magically turn into Heisman winners overnight.

Probably just playing down to your competition.

After adjusting for the powerful offenses in the Big 12, last year's defense was the fifth most efficient in the FBS, FPI projects the current unit to be the third best defense this season. ~ ESPN

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/fpi/_/id/251/texas-longhorns

The average projection is 8-4, an 8-4 team is dangerous enough to beat anybody they play!

Last edited:
Probably just playing down to your competition.

After adjusting for the powerful offenses in the Big 12, last year's defense was the fifth most efficient in the FBS, FPI projects the current unit to be the third best defense this season. ~ ESPN

http://www.espn.com/college-football/team/fpi/_/id/251/texas-longhorns

The average projection is 8-4, an 8-4 team is dangerous enough to beat anybody they play!
8-4 won't get you to the Playoff, I can promise you that! ;)

Oklahoma went 8-4 in 2005 and had a THRILLING Holiday Bowl win over Oregon! Yep, I sure miss the days when OU went to those bowls instead of to the National Championship Game or the Playoff.

Guess I should have added the projected ceiling is 11-1, I figured you weren't that inept and could figure it out on your own. Point being, 8-4 teams knock off big bad teams year in and out.

This inferior squad, knocks off the Sooners in October.

If Stoops would have kept Venables, OU would likely have more National Titles... good thing he chose to bail out his brother.

Glad we are back to season predictions. I'm pretty sure NO ONE on this thread has predicted UT to make the playoff this year. 75% of voters in the poll think we will end with between 8 and 10 wins, which is reasonable and would be a very good season, with 10 leaning toward great. As far as the OU game goes, it's a real toss-up. The talent is probably better with Oklahoma, but that game is always 50/50. We've yet to learn if Lincoln Riley is really that great of a coach, or if he just had his own Johnny Football to make him look great. We will see. But it wouldn't surprise me either way if Oklahoma beat Texas or if Texas beat Oklahoma.

RC Sooner, enough of your condescending BS. This thread is about Texas' 2018 season predictions, not about your thoughts on OU and put downs towards Texas. Do not post in here again.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
I can appreciate the CBS projection. They have Texas splitting with OU and playing in the Sugar with OU heading to the playoff.

Crazy that folks would believe in year two improvement.

Athlon Sports has Texas upsetting the Pooners. oh, include Sand Aggy with an upset bid. Entertaining picks.

Last edited:
RC, put the crack pipe down. OU ain't all that. You kids lost several key offensive players last year and your defense sucks, and it will suck again this year. To hear you talk, Texas shouldn't even show up for the RRR this year because the wife beaters are far, far superior. Gimme a friggin break. :rolleyes:
And that "sucky" defense held your offense to 24 points and your QB to his lowest completion percentage of the year. How many times will we see big Kenneth Murray and Caleb Kelly laying the lumber on young Sammy come fall time when Mike Stoops dials up another dominating gameplan against your offense?

RC Sooner, enough of your condescending BS. This thread is about Texas' 2018 season predictions, not about your thoughts on OU and put downs towards Texas. Do not post in here again.
Uh, okay. I came hear expecting some witty smack talk from you guys on this board like in years past, but oh well. I'll go to one of your other forums.

Laterz!

And that "sucky" defense held your offense to 24 points and your QB to his lowest completion percentage of the year. How many times will we see big Kenneth Murray and Caleb Kelly laying the lumber on young Sammy come fall time when Mike Stoops dials up another dominating gameplan against your offense?

Are you really bragging about holding a terrible offense to 24? Lol. The only decent defenses we faced last year held us to 10 and 7.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Uh, okay. I came hear expecting some witty smack talk from you guys on this board like in years past, but oh well. I'll go to one of your other forums.

Laterz!
Passive aggressive smack.

Original.

It was worse than the 100th ranked offense in the country, lol...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT