ADVERTISEMENT

2019 QB: Who ya got, Grant Tisdale or Roschon Johnson

Bwilk55

Jan 24, 2016
I don't keep up too much with the 2019 class, too far down the road but one position that always warrants an early look is QB. For one, they are often the earliest to commit. Schools want to lock in their QB commit and QBs want to claim a spot early.

The two names that have risen to the top for the horns are Roschon Johnson and Grant Tisdale.

Johnson is a composite 4 star from Port Neches. He is the composite number 3 dual threat. He is 6'2" and runs a 4.8 40. Watching his highlights, he is able to make the basic throws. Puts long balls in the right place and can hit the short routes. He is very dangerous with his legs. PNG ran a lot of designed runs and he also scrambles well. He can make guys miss and outrun DBs if needed. He reminds me of Vince in his style of play, though a step or two slower. A good but not great passer who is very dangerous with his legs. The opposition talent isn't always great (Class 5A) but he also has some some nice highlights against my alma mater (Beaumont West Brook - Class 6A) and he went 3 round deep in the playoffs.
https://www.hudl.com/profile/5260538/roschon-johnson

Tisdale didn't play much for powerhouse Allen as a sophomore, only throwing 55 passes. However, in his short highlight film you can see why he is already being pursued by multiple powerhouse college programs. He too is a composite 4 star and is the composite number 2 dual threat. He is 6'1" and runs a 4.7 40. I was impressed with his limited film by the very savvy throws that he makes. In stride deep balls, well executed timing and combo routes, and very accurate on the short throws - allowing WRs to run after the catch. Despite testing with better numbers than Johnson, he seems like the less dynamic runner of the two. Still dangerous but more in the Colt McCoy mold than VY. Maybe this is because the higher level competition making him look slower and less athletic.
http://www.hudl.com/profile/4669569/grant-tisdale

So what do yall think? Who would you pursue. It will be interesting to see how Herman and Beck go about recruiting these two. Do they take a verbal from whoever is ready to jump on first? Do they keep offers uncommittable until after or mid-way through the Junior season? I don't think they could go wrong with either of these two but a miss on both would be a major mistake.

I hate saying 6A is higher quality than 5A on its face. They are all high school teenagers whether they play 1A or 6A. They don't grow them bigger at 6A high schools. The only difference is the 6A schools tend to be in the big cities with more African-American players and more numbers of kids to choose from for each school.

Rant over.

I hate saying 6A is higher quality than 5A on its face. They are all high school teenagers whether they play 1A or 6A. They don't grow them bigger at 6A high schools. The only difference is the 6A schools tend to be in the big cities with more African-American players and more numbers of kids to choose from for each school.

Rant over.

I agree with your point about their being a larger number of players. I was honestly shocked that PNG was 5A. When I played at Beaumont West Brook we were a 5A (about 2000 students) and I know PNG was much smaller than us. With the new breakdown things are a bit different.

Kids aren't bigger at bigger schools, there just happens to be more big kids. There is also more money and the better high school coaches tend to be at the bigger programs. 1A schools can't come close to 6A.

I'm a bit biased, but Johnson is more of a 4.5-4.6 guy than a 4.8. He has a cannon and scored 56 TD's as a sophomore playing Varsity. I've talked to him a few times (gym, etc.) and he's a well mannered, well spoken young man. I hope he goes to UT, he could be special.

I'm a bit biased, but Johnson is more of a 4.5-4.6 guy than a 4.8. He has a cannon and scored 56 TD's as a sophomore playing Varsity. I've talked to him a few times (gym, etc.) and he's a well mannered, well spoken young man. I hope he goes to UT, he could be special.

The 4.8 40 comes from his profile, verified testing results. Of the two, he does seem faster and more elusive on the field.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT