ADVERTISEMENT

2020 recruiting

LonghornMM

Oct 23, 2002
Texas
I hope that Tom Herman and Texas can keep the North Shore pipeline open and not let a&m get their foot in the door there. Texas needs to throw the kitchen sink at Evans to get his signature next year. He is a must get at RB for the Horns, not only to come play in Austin, but to firmly establish themselves at NS with all of the D1 talent that they have.

A&M makes top 11 for 5-star Zachary Evans, nation's No. 1 RB

ByDAMON SAYLES

8508172.jpg

(Photo: Damon Sayles, 247Sports)

Back in July, North Shore 2020 running back Zachary Evans announced a top-25 list and said he planned on cutting that list down when the time was right. Sunday evening, the 5-star prospect and nation's top-ranked running back and No. 2 overall player according to the industry-generated 247Sports Composite made his latest recruiting move -- and Texas A&M remained a contender in his recruiting process.

Evans announced his top 11 schools by way of social media, and the Aggies joined Alabama, Georgia, LSU, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Ole Miss, Penn State, Texas and Washington on the list. Evans is a 6-foot, 205-pound back with north of 35 reported offers.

Evans, as of early Sunday evening, has six 247Sports Crystal Ball predictions. Three favor Texas A&M, two point to Texas, and one is for LSU.

The Aggies extended an offer to Evans in June of 2017, and he made multiple visits to the campus during the 2018 calendar year. He has built a good relationship with both head coach Jimbo Fisher and running backs coach Jay Graham.

"I like Jimbo Fisher. I mean ... it's just him," Evans told GigEm247. "I like the running backs coach [Graham] and the O-line coach [Jim Turner]. Everybody knows I'm big on the O-line. I've been talking to them plenty."

Evans made the trip to Orlando, Florida, for the Under Armour Future 50 camp this past Thursday. It was there where he impressed the coaches, as well as recruiting analysts in attendance. 247Sports' Greg Biggins said Evans "is the top-rated back in the 2020 class ... it's easy to see why."

"He has a great frame at about 6-0, 205 pounds, is a decision runner who can get downhill in a hurry and caught the ball well out of the backfield," Biggins said.

Prior to the 2018 season, Evans had a busy spring and summer that included unofficial visits to a handful of Power 5 programs. He made trips to Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Alabama, Auburn and Baylor this past offseason. During the regular season, Evans was busy making highlight reels en route to helping North Shore win a Class 6A Division I state title in an epic championship game against Duncanville -- a game where North Shore won, 41-36, on a Hail Mary with no time on the clock and capped a 16-0 season.

Evans helped North Shore complete one of the most dominant runs by a Texas high school champion, as the Mustangs beat state powers Katy (twice) and Lake Travis before defeating a Duncanville team that took out defending 6A Division I state champ -- and national No. 1 in some polls -- in Allen.

In the championship game against a very good Duncanville defense, Evans finished with 96 rushing yards on 21 carries. As a sophomore, Evans rushed for nearly 1,500 yards and 27 touchdowns, but he finished his junior year with nearly 1,800 rushing yards and 29 touchdowns. Evans brings speed, size, power and confidence to the field He additionally has great hands out of the backfield.

2020 NORTH SHORE RB ZACHARY EVANS
The nation’s No. 2 overall prospect in the class of 2020, five-star running back Zachary Evans is a chance for Texas A&M to sign a player from North Shore for the first time since Eric Crutchfield. That was all the way back in the class of 2000, which means it has been 20 years since the Aggies have landed someone from a school that was just named the mythical national champion.

The 6-foot, 205-pound junior is actually very high on A&M at this point, but he also has the Tide among his top schools. Though the position is incredibly important as well, Evans’ recruitment is even more about perception. If A&M can beat the Tide – and LSU, Texas and others – for Evans at a school they do not usually have success at, it would show that the Aggies have turned a corner in recruiting.

https://247sports.com/college/texas...2020-Zachary-Evans-nations-No-1-RB-121237573/

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
What's with these 6 foot tall two hundred pound running backs? Can't a brotha get a 6'3 235 pound thumper?

You obviously ain't seen this cat play. Dude is the real deal.
I'm not saying he can't--- I'm simply saying that I've got a soft spot for dudes that can power through a hole in the line and and just have linebackers bounce off of them.

I don't think we get him. I think he goes to aggy. It will be a huge mistake for him but that's how it go.... Like I said before, a stud o-line with a running qb will make a 3 star rb look like a 5 star.

I'm not saying he can't--- I'm simply saying that I've got a soft spot for dudes that can power through a hole in the line and and just have linebackers bounce off of them.

I'm with you. I absolutely love big RB's like Derrick Henry. The best HS running back I've ever seen in person was Leeland McElroy. That dude had that "electric", hold your breath thing about him. He could take it to the house in a millisecond and was a game changer.

I'm with you. I absolutely love big RB's like Derrick Henry. The best HS running back I've ever seen in person was Leeland McElroy. That dude had that "electric", hold your breath thing about him. He could take it to the house in a millisecond and was a game changer.
And what happened to skinny ass Leland when he played a defense that could hit? Westbrook knocked him the fug out.

And what happened to skinny ass Leland when he played a defense that could hit? Westbrook knocked him the fug out.

Not disputing that. Westbrook was a grown ass man and tore up people at Texas. I'm talking about the best RB I've ever seen in HS. Another one that is in the conversation was Rodney Thomas. RIP.

I'm hoping the 10 win season and Sugar Bowl win gives Texas a shot in the arm in recruiting, particularly in-state. Up to this point the 2019 class is Texas' second worst in-state showing in at least the last 20 years. Only the 2017 transition class was worse when Charlie Strong left Tom Herman only six commits with a few weeks until signing day.
Fortunately Herman and staff is both willing and capable of going OOS and landing high level prospects to fill the void. I think this class is plenty good enough to keep the trajectory going up it just may not be quite as sharp of angle up.

aggy had their new shiny toy this year. Things will sour badly for aggy in recruiting next year.... aggy will be lucky to be .500 next year. I think they only beat 3 p5 teams next year. Mond is awful.

Not saying that Strait wasn't a great HS running back. He was, but you obviously didn't get the opportunity to see McElroy and Thomas play.

The two best RBs I have seen on the high school level was Chris Pryor at Converse Judson back in 1983 and Johnny Bailey from Houston Yates. Bailey being the best I've ever seen on the high school level.

Reactions: Martymartinez
I saw Rodney Thomas play, Groveton vs Alto. The game was at Alto, #1 vs #2 in I think 2A classification. I don’t remember who won.

I am still a Ramounce Taylor fan when he was running both yards and dope, that man threw a good deal away, almost a runner like VY...them 2 sure complemented when they were both in the game...but, life goes on...

The reason I say I’d rather have great lineman vs a great back is because all day was all stuffed his last year he played against Texas.

Reactions: westx
Not disputing that. Westbrook was a grown ass man and tore up people at Texas. I'm talking about the best RB I've ever seen in HS. Another one that is in the conversation was Rodney Thomas. RIP.
Wait..... rodney thomas is dead?

I haven’t gone out and watched a lot of hs ball over the years but I will say that one of the best backs that I saw and knew was a guy right here in New Braunfels named Brad Grant. In 1986 he set the 4A single season rushing record but he only held it for a week or 2. Not bad for a white boy. He was about 5’11”, 215 and could scoot. In the playoffs we beat Gregory Portland and lost to West Orange Stark in the semi’s. Our Coach Jim Streety, who has been pretty successful over the years called a horrible game and dang near got lynched by the Unicorn faithful. I think the rb from West Orange Stark broke the rushing record set by Grant, in the State Championship game a week later. Can’t tecall his name.

I haven’t gone out and watched a lot of hs ball over the years but I will say that one of the best backs that I saw and knew was a guy right here in New Braunfels named Brad Grant. In 1986 he set the 4A single season rushing record but he only held it for a week or 2. Not bad for a white boy. He was about 5’11”, 215 and could scoot. In the playoffs we beat Gregory Portland and lost to West Orange Stark in the semi’s. Our Coach Jim Streety, who has been pretty successful over the years called a horrible game and dang near got lynched by the Unicorn faithful. I think the rb from West Orange Stark broke the rushing record set by Grant, in the State Championship game a week later. Can’t tecall his name.

Gregory Portland was a shit team!, we use to play them,

Hook'em

near got lynched by the Unicorn faithful.

@Belldozer1 the last Texas HS football game I saw was back about 2007 or so.....went with a good buddy of mine to Lockhart to watch the Fightin' Unicorns dismantle the Lions. My buddy is a huge NB fan, his daughter went to school there and back in the day, he played ball at Northshore. I remember that game mostly because your favorite Sooner, Tom Wort, wreaked havoc that night on Lockhart. I think he ended up with something like 22 tackles that game.....

Reactions: Belldozer1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT