ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting

Bwilk55

Jan 24, 2016
A bit early but we have had some major developments recently so a dedicated thread seems reasonable.

Quay Davis commitment got us off to a good start here. 2020 WR recruiting may not be too exciting so it's great to get one of the top national WRs on board early for 2021.

Get to know the name Camar Wheaton. He is the top RB in the nation next year (albeit in a class not nearly as strong as the 2020 RB class). There are already some whispers about him and Texas which would be huge. He shows good speed and burst - leaving guys who seem to have good angles on him in the dust. He also shows good elusiveness to avoid would be tacklers at the LOS before taking off north and south. Good toughness, strength and balance as evidenced by breaking tackles.

Reactions: dsutton_85
Early overview of 2021 recruiting: Offense

QB
Preston Stone is the name to know here. He is the top Dual Threat QB in the nation and 3rd overall QB. His film makes him look like a Johnny Manziel starter pack. He is very quick and elusive in the backfield, often buying extra time and then rifling a pass downfield. While he is a very effective runner, he doesn't rely on his legs. Once pressured, he eludes rushers but keeps his eyes downfield, always looking to make the pass instead of taking off on the run. In the pocket or on the move he drops absolute dimes on the deep ball and puts the ball in the perfect spot on timing routes.
- His recruitment is pretty open at the moment. There is some interest with SMU but I would be shocked if such a high profile QB landed there. Texas is very much in this recruitment.

Jalen Milroe - Most years, Jalen would be the top QB in the state. He is a very good dual threat QB (3rd best in nation) who shows good running and passing ability. Compared to recent commit Ja'Quinden Jackson, he seems to have a similar skill set but plays for a team that throws the ball around more.
- Texas has yet to offer but there is interest there. I think Stone will be the top option but Milroe is a guy to be excited about as well.

RB
Camar Wheaton - I touched on him above. Right now he is the only 5 star RB in the nation (compared to 6 in 2020). This makes him an even more valuable commodity in the 2021 class.
- There seems to be early mutual interest. The need will somewhat be determined by what happens in 2020 (ie Bijan Robinson, Jase McClellan) but this is the type of RB you want in every class if you can get it.

WR
Cody Jackson - Currently the highest ranked WR in Texas, but he made an early commitment to OU. Texas has offered and will probably keep communication open but this one seems to have been decided early.

Quaydarius Davis - Landing the 2nd highest ranked TX WR helps talk the sting out of missing on Jackson. A lot has been said about Davis after his recent commitment so I won't harp on it here but he is a legit outside WR who can take the top off a defense and go up and get the ball in traffic when needed.

JoJo Earle - Texas doesn't have a lot of high profile WRs this class but JoJo represents another high end player who seems to be the top pick for Texas in the slot. This one is in favor of Texas currently and would be a great complement to Davis.

Other names to know, Bryson and Blaine Green, Latrell Neville. All 3 are top 50 WRs with early Texas offers.

TE
Texas has some offers out to top national guys but I never take that seriously until they get on campus. Currently, Texas has 2 offers out to local products who are currently unranked this early in the cycle but clearly the staff must like what they see
Lake McRee from Lake Travis and Var'Keyes Gumms out of Houston.
Dametrious Crownover is a 4 star TE from and number 2 in the nation who hails from Texas but doesn't hold a Texas offer. I'm not sure what the deal is there but definitely something to keep an eye on.

OL
Tommy Brockermeyer is the star of a loaded OL class in the state. He is currently the number 3 overall prospect in the nation. We have discussed him in another thread but he is obviously the big fish and a recruit Texas shouldn't and can't afford to miss out on.

James Brockermeyer is now ranked as a 3 star center (3rd highest center). He is a take regardless of his brother and a true experienced center prospect is always needed.

Savion Byrd is the other 5 star OT in the state and landing him and Tommy would be HUGE. He isn't quite as bulky as Tommy but has the frame (6'5") and is athletic feet.
- things look pretty good currently between Texas and Byrd who will be a Junior at Duncanville. Landing a few other Duncanville players in this class or next will only further strengthen that pipeline.

Donovan Jackson and Rueben Fatheree help to round out a very impressive tackle class in Texas. They are both top 100 players overall who are stellar tackle prospects and in certain years would be tops in the state. If Texas keeps tracking positively with Brockermeyer and Byrd, these two might continue looking elsewhere. They both seem pretty open currently but A&M is probably the favorite currently for these two.

Bryce Foster and Hayden Conner make up a really solid guard/tackle combo for Katy Taylor. Again, if we land Brockermeyer and Byrd, missing out on other tackles becomes less of an issue but if we don't land those two, Conner would be a great addition. On the other hand, Bryce Foster is the only guard we have targeted at this point and he would be a great inside addition to this O-line class. I doubt A&M would land all 4 of the previously mentioned players but they are the favorites for these teammates as well.

Reactions: orangeflow
Texas should take 5 offensive linemen in the 2021 class I read somewhere that Ruben Fatheree is a Morman and that will likely play into his recruitment. As with Junior Angilau he will have to make a decision on going on a mission. I know for Herman this isn't going to be an issue, however I don't know how Fisher will feel about it.

Lots of offers going out this weekend to 2021 and 22 kids
Jalen Milroe, the number 2 QB in state, was offered this weekend. Preston Stone was on campus and while Texas is in a good position with him, I'm glad they got in on Milroe early as well. Certainly don't want to burn any bridges there with a really talented QB.

Brandon Campbell, a 4 star RB from Pearland landed an offer. Camar Wheaton will be the big target in the 2021 class but Campbell is a great take as well - in addition to or in lieu of Wheaton.

Jaedon Roberts is a HUGE guard prospect who recently moved to North Shore. He is 6'4.5 and over 335 pounds but looks well built and moves well. He is currently only a 3 star but was playing ball in Kansas so a season of excelling in Texas 6A football could easily lead to quite a rankings boost.

Derrick Harris Jr. is a really solid OLB prospect, just behind Clayton Smith in the state. He grabbed an offer this weekend as well.

Billy Bowman is an athlete (WR, DB, returner) who also grabbed an offer this weekend.

In the 2022 class offers went out to:
WR Armani Winfield and Safety Bryce Anderson (of my alma mater - Beaumont West Brook). 2022 guys don't have rankings yet but these guys promise to be studs in the class and picking up offers after Freshmen seasons says a lot about what the staff thinks of them early.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Early overview of 2021 recruiting: Defense
DT
Texas has not yet identified a prime target at DT. They have offers out to the top national guys but no one in state yet. There aren't any highly ranked DTs in the state currently.

DE
Ja'Tavion Sanders a 5 star DE/WR from Denton will be a hot commidity in state. The fact that he plays WR tells you how athletic he is, but he projects best as a DE prospect. He will add bulk and lose some speed probably but will still have plenty to give OT a lot of trouble.

Landon Jackson a 5 star from Texarkana, LJ will be one of the most prized recruits in state. Texas is a contender early as is A&M. It'll be a battle in this one.

Tunmise Adeleye a near 5 star from Katy, Adeleye will be a key DL prospect in state going forward. He is already 260 pounds so could possibly grow into a DT prospect. He is athletic and strong, a great interior DL prospect.

Marcus Burris - a high 4 star who plays alongside Landon Jackson. He is just a notch below Adeleye but certainly a great player in his own right. Pleasant Grove in Texarkana will be a very popular visit stop this next season.

Jordon Thomas - a high 4 star from Port Arthur, Thomas looks like a bad dude. Texas has done well in the golden triangle and will look to do so again here.

LB
Kendrick Blackshire - at 6'2, 250 lbs he has the legit size to be an ILB. He has plenty of speed to go along with a very muscular frame. There are never enough ILB prospects and that makes Blackshire even more important. Things seem to be trending to Bama here but know that Texas will do everything they can in this one.

Clayton Smith - another Texarkana boy (Texas high), who is a high 4 star OLB. He is a great fit as a big 12 LB who can move in order to stick with WRs but also has the size to take down RBs/QBs. Texas is starting in a good position here.

Derrick Harris Jr - recently picked up his Texas offer and like Smith, would be a good fit in Texas' defense scheme. Both would be players Orlando would love to have join the defense.

CB
Latrell McCutchin - In a down year for CBs in Texas (none in the state top 20) it hurts to see the top in state CB make an early decision for Bama, especially when the kid is from Austin. He was vocal in his displeasure with Texas being slow to offer (he's a sophomore mind you). The staff will likely continue to pursue him but Bama is always tough to overcome.

Ishmael Ibraheem - the next best CB in the state recently picked up a Texas offer and seems less offended by the timing of it. Texas will look to continue growing their foothold in the Dallas area with this Dallas Kimball prospect.

S
JD Coffey - Similar to CB, safety lacks the highly ranked recruits we are used to seeing come out of Texas. JD is the top safety but 30th ranked prospect in the state. Either way, he is a top 200 player overall and will get plenty of attention from the state schools given the lack of overall safety depth in state.

Look for Texas to be aggressive out of state for some more DB prospects in this cycle.

Jimminy Christmas we need DL so freaking badly. We've got to get a couple of lane cloggers and some burners off the edge. It's so important to be able to stop the zone read in our conference. QBs are going to get theirs no matter what--- but if you can force them to throw---- you can force bad throws and get off the damn field.

Jimminy Christmas we need DL so freaking badly. We've got to get a couple of lane cloggers and some burners off the edge. It's so important to be able to stop the zone read in our conference. QBs are going to get theirs no matter what--- but if you can force them to throw---- you can force bad throws and get off the damn field.
Certainly do, but they are not nearly as easy to find as other positions, especially in the state. We are in a good spot with some 2020 DL studs (Broughton, Collins, Umanmielen) and will be major contenders for those mentioned above. Gotta seal the deal on a good number of them though.

Class of 2021. Jackson Anderson and Trevion Sneed.

Check out this highlight!

Check out this highlight!

Watch #56 and #23. According to their coaches they are being recruited by Big 12 and SEC schools. Anderson’s brothers play at a&m, sneed has offers from ULL and SMU.

Last edited:
Texas picked up its second early 2021 commitment from local product Lake McRee out of Lake Travis. It's still early in the cycle so rankings aren't up yet for all services but 247 recently listed McRee as the 12th best TE nationally with an overall rank of 355.

McRee has only played the position for 1 year (QB previously). He already has good height at 6'4" but could use additional bulk as he is only 200 pounds currently. He looks athletic on film with decent speed and good route running. Lake Travis uses him on the end of the line and split out wide where his receiving chops are utilized nicely. He shows a willingness to block and will likely continue to improve their with added strength/weight and coaching. Being only a sophomore, McRee has plenty of time to develop his body and run blocking ability.

https://247sports.com/Player/Lake-McRee-46076726/

Reactions: freeper
Things seem to be heating up with Texas and Jalen Milroe. No great info yet but lots of whispers popping up. He actually seemed to be moving towards Bama but they recently took a 2021 QB and since then the Texas talk has increased.

It has been interesting to see how Texas approached Jalen and Preston Stone. The top two QBs in the state. Stone is the more highly ranked but there appears to be some stuff going on in the background there. I don't really know what type of stuff to be honest. Milroe in his own right is a great player, he's ranked 75th overall in the country. I've described his play as similar to JaQuinden Jackson except his HS offense throws the ball around more. I think he is a great fit for the Texas offense. Compared to Stone he is a bigger and more powerful runner but maybe not as elusive and slippery.

If I hear anything more I update here but wanted to put this name back on the radar.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jalen-Milroe-46050317/

Very interesting. Its probably inpossible to tell at this point but I thought Stone was the consensus must get QB for 2021. I trust the staff but I hope we aren't missing out on the next Andrew Luck.

I'm pretty confident we did miss out on the next Andrew Luck, but if Stone came to Texas he wouldn't be the next Andrew Luck. He just doesn't fit like Milroe does.

Looking at both QBs, Milroe just fits better.

I'm pretty confident we did miss out on the next Andrew Luck, but if Stone came to Texas he wouldn't be the next Andrew Luck. He just doesn't fit like Milroe does.

Looking at both QBs, Milroe just fits better.
Consensus at this time seems to be that Stone is the higher ranked prospect with a higher floor. Milroe isn't as polished currently but may have a higher ceiling. It also seems that he is the better system fit.

Odd to me that Stone isn't getting more push from the major programs. OU has a QB, A&M has a QB and no Texas has a QB in the class. SMU seems to be the favorite now that these programs are out of the picture.

Consensus at this time seems to be that Stone is the higher ranked prospect with a higher floor. Milroe isn't as polished currently but may have a higher ceiling. It also seems that he is the better system fit.

Odd to me that Stone isn't getting more push from the major programs. OU has a QB, A&M has a QB and no Texas has a QB in the class. SMU seems to be the favorite now that these programs are out of the picture.

They say that Stone has a arm that can make every single throw on the tree including the deep out from the opposite hash mark. The last QB Texas had that could actually do that was Chris Simms. Before that was Shea Morenz. Guys like that don't come around often.

They say that Stone has a arm that can make every single throw on the tree including the deep out from the opposite hash mark. The last QB Texas had that could actually do that was Chris Simms. Before that was Shea Morenz. Guys like that don't come around often.

Stone plays private school competition. Milroe plays with the big boys. Stone also has a rep of hopping schools to get what he wants. He would want to start from day one. If no start, he goes portal.

The good guys just landed a commitment for 4 Star 2021 OL Hayden Conner out of Katy Taylor HS. 6'5 317 as an incoming junior. I'm not savvy enough for a technical evaluation but has the frame and appears to be a highly coveted recruit.

The good guys just landed a commitment for 4 Star 2021 OL Hayden Conner out of Katy Taylor HS. 6'5 317 as an incoming junior. I'm not savvy enough for a technical evaluation but has the frame and appears to be a highly coveted recruit.

Yes, and an aggy lean none the less. I do wonder how this will affect the Brockermeyers and Savion Byrd. Those dudes are Texas leans and I would hate to lose them.

Yes, and an aggy lean none the less. I do wonder how this will affect the Brockermeyers and Savion Byrd. Those dudes are Texas leans and I would hate to lose them.
The Brockermeyers are takes regardless of who else commits. Byrd might be as well. Don't forget about Donavon Jackson as well. Was just named the MVP of the Opening as the only "underclassman".

Could we end up taking 4 or 5 OL in back to back classes? I don't follow the number enough to know what might be expected

From what I have been able to glean from the "recruiting experts" we are in good position with Tommy Brockermeyer (and in turn his twin brother), Savion Byrd (OL from Duncanville) but appear to be on the outside for Donavan Jackson. He appears to be SEC bound to either Bama or A&M. IF all of that happened that would put us at 4 OL in this class with 3 tackles and 1 center. Which could mean that Conner moves inside to guard.

From what I have been able to glean from the "recruiting experts" we are in good position with Tommy Brockermeyer (and in turn his twin brother), Savion Byrd (OL from Duncanville) but appear to be on the outside for Donavan Jackson. He appears to be SEC bound to either Bama or A&M. IF all of that happened that would put us at 4 OL in this class with 3 tackles and 1 center. Which could mean that Conner moves inside to guard.

I wonder if Conner can play center as well? We are going to need a backup at center after Shack graduates. Next year at center... Kersteter, Majors, Connor?

I love the name "Savion Byrd", sounds like a vicious raptor. It also sounds like the name of an all-pro tackle for the Filthadelphia Eagles.

If we land the guys we are leading for and if Bryce Foster comes with the total package. The way I see the 2021 offensive line class if they all started together it would be:

Tommy Brockermeyer - Left Tackle
Bryce Foster - Left Guard
James Brockermeyer - Center
Haden Connor - Right Guard
Savion Byrd - Left Tackle

This is the new standard for the class of beef.

If we land the guys we are leading for and if Bryce Foster comes with the total package. The way I see the 2021 offensive line class if they all started together it would be:

I think right now the Houston Texans would take that.

That would be incredible. I feel good about all 5 except for Foster (#13 OL), he has been an aggy lean. Though, I would have said the same about Connor (#25 OL). Having Connor and Milroe in Foster's ear certainly helps our chances there.

Donovan Jackson (#7 OL) would be another great get but seems to be an aggy lean. No one has even mentioned Rueben Fatheree (#19 OL) or Jaeden Roberts (#27 OL).

Oh, and BTW, Tommy Brockermeyer and Savion Byrd are the #1 and #2 OL in the nation. James Brockermeyer is the lowest rated of the bunch at #57 overall.

Texas is loaded with instate talent across the OL in 2021.

ADVERTISEMENT