ADVERTISEMENT

2021 Recruiting

Man I'm telling ya SC is getting some kind of serious in recruiting this year. In TX they got a commit from a 4* rb Brandon Campbell and a 5* receiver and one time TX committ Quaydarius (that really is his first name) Jackson. What happened with this QJ kid?

Last year SC finished tenth in Pac XII recruiting and that is completely unacceptable at SC. Is there any coach sitting on a seat hotter than Clay Helton ? No but he's going to go down swinging.

Looks like they busted out the money men...

Man I'm telling ya SC is getting some kind of serious in recruiting this year. In TX they got a commit from a 4* rb Brandon Campbell and a 5* receiver and one time TX committ Quaydarius (that really is his first name) Jackson. What happened with this QJ kid?

Last year SC finished tenth in Pac XII recruiting and that is completely unacceptable at SC. Is there any coach sitting on a seat hotter than Clay Helton ? No but he's going to go down swinging.
Quaydarius Davis has some off field stuff going on apparently. He was once a SMU commit, then a Texas commit, and then thought to be a SMU lean once again. The word is Texas is actually no longer even recruiting him once he decommitted.
Does he stick with USC if Helton leaves? I'd be surprised.

2 commits in the past week:

4 star DE out of Port Arthur, Jordon Thomas. Paired with J'tavion Sanders, the duo represents a very good DE class for 2021.
https://247sports.com/player/jordon-thomas-46080871/

3 star TE out of Atascosita, Landen King. He had some big time offers and strong pushes from teams like Georgia and Bama so this is probably a bigger get than it seems.
https://247sports.com/player/landen-king-46057581/

Herman has been pretty solid with his 3* gets and certainly an area to trust him right now.

Kerstetter, Cosmi, Boyce, Brewer, Ojomo, Mitchell, Wiley, Sweat, and I think Hullaby and Ford are going to be producers.

DB Recruiting:

Texas has already landed the number 35 player in the nation in Athlete Billy Bowman who could potentially land in the defensive backfield (if not used on offense as a WR) but will otherwise look to land 3-4 more prep players to fill out their DB recruiting class.

The state of Texas doesn't have as much elite DB talent as it usually does but I feel good about Texas's chances to land a talented trio to go along with Billy Bowman. If they can do that, this class would have both a high floor and a high ceiling.

Ishmael Ibraheem is the top CB in the state. I really like where Texas stands with him at this point.
https://247sports.com/Player/Ishmael-Ibraheem-46059429/

JD Coffey is a top 200 player overall and the top safety in the state. Texas is the likely leader here as well.
https://247sports.com/Player/JD-Coffey-46050809/

Andrew Mukaba is now in the top 300 overall and happens to be the 2nd best Safety in the state. He plays at Austin LBJ and there's a good chance he plays college ball in Austin as well.
https://247sports.com/Player/Andrew-Mukuba-46085357/

Texas has been late to the party on Deuce Harmon but he has a strong relationship already with Jay Valai (based on Valai's recent work as a trainer in Dallas) and Texas has made a lot of progress since they offered. Harmon, Coffey and Ibraheem are all very tight and interested in playing together at the next level.
https://247sports.com/Player/Deuce-Harmon-46057334/

How many are we taking in this class Bwilk?
Last year people were pointing to this class being a larger one but I just don't see how. With the addition of Barron to the 2020 class, I am pretty sure we have all 85 scholarships used up (see roster table https://insidetexas.com/football/football.php?pg=fb_roster). This link hasn't added Barron or Tarik Black so I actually think a walk on or two will not continue to be on scholarship so that we get down to the 85 mark.

We have 11 seniors set to graduate (12 including Tarik Black). Add in 3-4 Juniors who could maybe leave early (Cosmi, Ossai, Sterns?). That would leave us with around 15 scholarships available. You can expect 3-5 transfer/retirement types so maybe looking at 18-20 players in the class. This is in line with what I heard on the 4th and 5 podcast today stated by Darius Terrell (previous UT O-linemen).

That said, scholarship numbers always seem to be in constant flux and things work out somehow.

Last year people were pointing to this class being a larger one but I just don't see how. With the addition of Barron to the 2020 class, I am pretty sure we have all 85 scholarships used up (see roster table https://insidetexas.com/football/football.php?pg=fb_roster). This link hasn't added Barron or Tarik Black so I actually think a walk on or two will not continue to be on scholarship so that we get down to the 85 mark.

We have 11 seniors set to graduate (12 including Tarik Black). Add in 3-4 Juniors who could maybe leave early (Cosmi, Ossai, Sterns?). That would leave us with around 15 scholarships available. You can expect 3-5 transfer/retirement types so maybe looking at 18-20 players in the class. This is in line with what I heard on the 4th and 5 podcast today stated by Darius Terrell (previous UT O-linemen).

That said, scholarship numbers always seem to be in constant flux and things work out somehow.

Thanks bwilk.

Texas needs some momentum right now we have none and until we get some we are going feel like this class is falling apart. A great season will turn things around somewhat but it will have a bigger impact on the following year.

What we really need is to put a few people in the NFL as 1st round picks. That will shut a lot of people up. Hopefully, Ossai, Sterns, Coburn, Cosmi, and Ingram have great seasons and can do that. It would be validation that the system Herman has put together works. Honestly, of all those guys, I think Ossai has the best chance to be a really high 1st round pick with Cosmi being next and maybe Sterns sneaking into the end of the 1st round. That of course is a best case scenario. I of course tossed Ingram and and Coburn in there because I think they have a chance to both be huge impact players with big years.

Reactions: freeper
Expect two commits on June 15th, both from future members of the defensive backfield. It's a down year overall in state for DBs but landing the top ranked in state safety and the 2nd ranked CB is still a great haul.

Ishmael Ibraheem - #13 CB, #171 overall, 4 star
https://247sports.com/Player/Ishmael-Ibraheem-46059429/

JD Coffey, #7 safety, #173 overall, 4 star
https://247sports.com/Player/JD-Coffey-46050809/

5 star commit, Billy Bowman may end up as a member of defensive backfield but has flexibility to play WR as well. Otherwise, Texas will likely add 1-2 other DB commits this class (Andrew Mukuba a likely candidate).

2021 Recruiting still has a ways to go but it seems that this class isn't going to knock anyones socks off. Heck, for a small class, 20 or so, it may crack the top 10 team rankings but I fear many fans will be lamenting what could have been. Texas has suffered some big losses in recruiting already with the likes of Landon Jackson, Donovan Jackson, Clayton Smith, Tunmise Adeleye and a whole hosts of WRs choosing to take their talents elsewhere. Texas had some huge commitments as well but these seem to have occurred ages ago. A few high profile recruitments still hang in the balance (Tommy Brockermeyer, Camar Wheaton) and landing these 5 stars would certainly help boost this class but even misses there shouldn't cause an overall meltdown.

Let's look at how Texas could like going into the 2021 season at each position to put this years recruiting class in perspective.

QB:
On campus: Casey Thompson, Hudson Card, JaQuinden Jackson
2021 Commits: Jalen Milroe
2022 Possibilities: Quinn Ewers
Texas has already restocked a QB room that plagued it for much of the 2010s. Jalen Milroe was a top target in 2021 and Texas got their man. Quinn Ewers is also high on Texas early in the 2022 class and could be a game changer down the road

RB:
On Campus:Keontay Ingram, Roschon Johnson, Jordon Whittington, Bijan Robinson
2021 Commits: Jonathon Brooks
2021 Possibilities: Camar Wheaton, LJ Johnson
2022 Possibilities: Jaydon Blue, Jadarian Price
This may be a position that looks less than stellar in 2021 unless Wheaton or Johnson jump on board which is not expected at this point. This is a position where I would recommend taking a deep breath in regards to 2021 recruiting. Remember, Texas has lots of talent on campus already including a 5 star RB who will be entering his sophomore season in 2021. Beyond that, Texas has very strong options in the 2022 class as Jaydon Blue and Jadarian Price promise to be top 10 backs

WR:
On campus: Brennan Eagles, Joshua Moore, Jake Smith, Marcus Washington, Alvonte Woodard, Kennedy Lewis, Kelvontay Dixon, Dajon Harrison, Troy Omiere
2021 Commits: Casey Cain
2021 Possibilities: Ketron Jackson, Jaden Alexis, JJ Henry
2022 Possibilities: Caleb Burton, Armani Winfield, Jordan Hudson
The 2021 WR class will be a disappointment based on all of it's misses so far. Multiple 4 star WRs in the state and Texas is unlikely to land any of them. While I like a commit like Casey Cain, he isn't the elite prospect of the guys available in our own backyard. If Billy Bowman ends up playing WR, that certainly changes the outlook of the position going forward if other guys don't step up.
You always want to stack talent at the WR position, especially in a league were trotting 4 WRs out regularly is commonplace. The plus, Texas has at least 3 seasons left of all the current WRs on the roster except Eagles so there is plenty of time to get new talent on campus in the 2022 class that has multiple WRs from Texas ranked in the top 100 overall.

TE:
On Campus:Malcolm Epps, Jared Wiley, Brayden Liebrock
2021 Commits: Juan Davis
2022 Possibilities:Donovan Green
TE is another position that looks to be underwhelming in the 2021 class. The coaches targeted Juan Davis early and I'll trust their eval of the athlete who has spent much of his HS career playing QB. I doubt if they look to add any other players at the position this year. Going into 2021 They will have an experienced trio in Epps (an athletic TE vs an unathletic WR), Wiley (who looks like an absolute beast) and the the flashy Brayden Liebrock - all of whom will be returning in 2022 as well. In 2022, I wouldn't be shocked to see Donovan Green, the current #1 TE in the country in the 2022 class, redshirting in preparation for taking over the TE role in 2023.

OL:
On Campus:Junior Angilau, Rafiti Ghirmia, Christian Jones, Reese Moore, Willie Tyler, Isaiah Hookfin, Tyler Johnson, Jaylon Garth, Andrej Karic, Jake Majors Logan Parr
2021 commits: Hayden Connor
2021 Possibilities: Tommy Brockermeyer, James Brockermeyer, Bryce Foster, Savion Byrd
2022 Possibilities: Kam Dewberry, Jaylen Early
This could have been a lineup of 5 5 stars commits but things have not turned out that way. That said, Texas is still fighting for some big time commits and could land a very solid class. This mostly centers around the Brockermeyer brothers the top OT and C in the country.

Either way, take heart Texas fans. the on campus players listed above will be Juniors at the oldest so Texas has plenty of beef in the OL pipeline.

DL:
On Campus:Daniel Carson, T'vondre Sweat, Keondre Coburn, Moro Ojomo, Peter Mpagi, Myron Warren, Alfred Collins, Vernon Broughton, Sawyer Gorham-Welch
2021 Commits:J'tavion Sanders, Jordan Thomas, Derrick Harris Jr,
2021 Possibilities:Shemar Turner, Jonathan Jones, Ike Iwunnah
2022 Possibilities:Ernest Cooper, Malik Sylla, Omari Abor, Bear Alexander

With 5 star J'tavion Sanders likely playing DE at the next level, Texas has a very solid haul there including Sander, Thomas and Harris. They may add a player like Shemar Turner as well. The DT haul will be underwhelming with low 3 star Ike Iwunnah the main possibility at this point. Again though, we see a lot of young talent with no players expected to graduate from the DL after the 2021 season.

LB:
On Campus:Juwan Mitchel, Demarvion Overshown, Joseph Ossai (maybe), Ayodele Adeoye, Tyler Owens, Byron Vaughns, David Gbenda, Marcus Tillman, Prince Dorbah, Jaylon Ford
2021 Commits: Morice Blackwell
2021 Possibilities: Terrance Cooks
2022 Possibilities:No studs identified

LB continues to be the biggest area of concern. After 2021, Mitchel, Overshown and Ossai will all be gone and we have yet to see how the underclassmen will perform. We need a few of those guys to step up and become big time players. Blackwell and Cooks have good skill sets for Big 12 LB play but aren't slam dunks either. Overall, the defensive scheme will likely deemphasize LB play and we will continue to see big safeties converting to LB as this seems to be a good approach to defending the spread., even NFL teams are catching on to this type of LB.

DB:
On Campus:Kobe Boyce, Anthony Cook, Jalen Green, D'shawn Jamison, Josh Thompson, Montrell Estelle, BJ Foster, Chris Adimora, Marques Caldwell, Kenyatta Watson, Kitan Crawford, Xavion Alford, Jerrin Thompson, Jahdae Barron
2021 Commits:None (Billy Bowman*)
2021 Possibilities:Ishmael Ibraheem, JD Coffey, Andrew Mukuba
2022 Possibilities: Denver Harris, Austin Jordan, Bobby Taylor, Jaylon Guilbeau, Chace Biddle, Cristian Driver, Brenen Thompson

Texas is set to lose a lot of talent at the DB position after the 2021 season with the first 7 names listed above set to use up their eligibility by seasons end. That means the younger players listed will be stepping into major roles. There is some solid talent already on campus that will have a chance to develop in starters this next season. The 2021 class is weak in state but Texas is in a good position to add the best that is available. That said, look for the major reload to occur in the 2022 class that has a much more typical wealth of in state DB talent.

Punter: we added another aussie punter in the 2021 class. I've already forgotten his name (as has Tom Herman) but these guys have worked out great so far.

Reactions: LonghornMM
2021 Recruiting still has a ways to go but it seems that this class isn't going to knock anyones socks off. Heck, for a small class, 20 or so, it may crack the top 10 team rankings but I fear many fans will be lamenting what could have been. Texas has suffered some big losses in recruiting already with the likes of Landon Jackson, Donovan Jackson, Clayton Smith, Tunmise Adeleye and a whole hosts of WRs choosing to take their talents elsewhere. Texas had some huge commitments as well but these seem to have occurred ages ago. A few high profile recruitments still hang in the balance (Tommy Brockermeyer, Camar Wheaton) and landing these 5 stars would certainly help boost this class but even misses there shouldn't cause an overall meltdown.

Let's look at how Texas could like going into the 2021 season at each position to put this years recruiting class in perspective.

QB:
On campus: Casey Thompson, Hudson Card, JaQuinden Jackson
2021 Commits: Jalen Milroe
2022 Possibilities: Quinn Ewers
Texas has already restocked a QB room that plagued it for much of the 2010s. Jalen Milroe was a top target in 2021 and Texas got their man. Quinn Ewers is also high on Texas early in the 2022 class and could be a game changer down the road

RB:
On Campus:Keontay Ingram, Roschon Johnson, Jordon Whittington, Bijan Robinson
2021 Commits: Jonathon Brooks
2021 Possibilities: Camar Wheaton, LJ Johnson
2022 Possibilities: Jaydon Blue, Jadarian Price
This may be a position that looks less than stellar in 2021 unless Wheaton or Johnson jump on board which is not expected at this point. This is a position where I would recommend taking a deep breath in regards to 2021 recruiting. Remember, Texas has lots of talent on campus already including a 5 star RB who will be entering his sophomore season in 2021. Beyond that, Texas has very strong options in the 2022 class as Jaydon Blue and Jadarian Price promise to be top 10 backs

WR:
On campus: Brennan Eagles, Joshua Moore, Jake Smith, Marcus Washington, Alvonte Woodard, Kennedy Lewis, Kelvontay Dixon, Dajon Harrison, Troy Omiere
2021 Commits: Casey Cain
2021 Possibilities: Ketron Jackson, Jaden Alexis, JJ Henry
2022 Possibilities: Caleb Burton, Armani Winfield, Jordan Hudson
The 2021 WR class will be a disappointment based on all of it's misses so far. Multiple 4 star WRs in the state and Texas is unlikely to land any of them. While I like a commit like Casey Cain, he isn't the elite prospect of the guys available in our own backyard. If Billy Bowman ends up playing WR, that certainly changes the outlook of the position going forward if other guys don't step up.
You always want to stack talent at the WR position, especially in a league were trotting 4 WRs out regularly is commonplace. The plus, Texas has at least 3 seasons left of all the current WRs on the roster except Eagles so there is plenty of time to get new talent on campus in the 2022 class that has multiple WRs from Texas ranked in the top 100 overall.

TE:
On Campus:Malcolm Epps, Jared Wiley, Brayden Liebrock
2021 Commits: Juan Davis
2022 Possibilities:Donovan Green
TE is another position that looks to be underwhelming in the 2021 class. The coaches targeted Juan Davis early and I'll trust their eval of the athlete who has spent much of his HS career playing QB. I doubt if they look to add any other players at the position this year. Going into 2021 They will have an experienced trio in Epps (an athletic TE vs an unathletic WR), Wiley (who looks like an absolute beast) and the the flashy Brayden Liebrock - all of whom will be returning in 2022 as well. In 2022, I wouldn't be shocked to see Donovan Green, the current #1 TE in the country in the 2022 class, redshirting in preparation for taking over the TE role in 2023.

OL:
On Campus:Junior Angilau, Rafiti Ghirmia, Christian Jones, Reese Moore, Willie Tyler, Isaiah Hookfin, Tyler Johnson, Jaylon Garth, Andrej Karic, Jake Majors Logan Parr
2021 commits: Hayden Connor
2021 Possibilities: Tommy Brockermeyer, James Brockermeyer, Bryce Foster, Savion Byrd
2022 Possibilities: Kam Dewberry, Jaylen Early
This could have been a lineup of 5 5 stars commits but things have not turned out that way. That said, Texas is still fighting for some big time commits and could land a very solid class. This mostly centers around the Brockermeyer brothers the top OT and C in the country.

Either way, take heart Texas fans. the on campus players listed above will be Juniors at the oldest so Texas has plenty of beef in the OL pipeline.

DL:
On Campus:Daniel Carson, T'vondre Sweat, Keondre Coburn, Moro Ojomo, Peter Mpagi, Myron Warren, Alfred Collins, Vernon Broughton, Sawyer Gorham-Welch
2021 Commits:J'tavion Sanders, Jordan Thomas, Derrick Harris Jr,
2021 Possibilities:Shemar Turner, Jonathan Jones, Ike Iwunnah
2022 Possibilities:Ernest Cooper, Malik Sylla, Omari Abor, Bear Alexander

With 5 star J'tavion Sanders likely playing DE at the next level, Texas has a very solid haul there including Sander, Thomas and Harris. They may add a player like Shemar Turner as well. The DT haul will be underwhelming with low 3 star Ike Iwunnah the main possibility at this point. Again though, we see a lot of young talent with no players expected to graduate from the DL after the 2021 season.

LB:
On Campus:Juwan Mitchel, Demarvion Overshown, Joseph Ossai (maybe), Ayodele Adeoye, Tyler Owens, Byron Vaughns, David Gbenda, Marcus Tillman, Prince Dorbah, Jaylon Ford
2021 Commits: Morice Blackwell
2021 Possibilities: Terrance Cooks
2022 Possibilities:No studs identified

LB continues to be the biggest area of concern. After 2021, Mitchel, Overshown and Ossai will all be gone and we have yet to see how the underclassmen will perform. We need a few of those guys to step up and become big time players. Blackwell and Cooks have good skill sets for Big 12 LB play but aren't slam dunks either. Overall, the defensive scheme will likely deemphasize LB play and we will continue to see big safeties converting to LB as this seems to be a good approach to defending the spread., even NFL teams are catching on to this type of LB.

DB:
On Campus:Kobe Boyce, Anthony Cook, Jalen Green, D'shawn Jamison, Josh Thompson, Montrell Estelle, BJ Foster, Chris Adimora, Marques Caldwell, Kenyatta Watson, Kitan Crawford, Xavion Alford, Jerrin Thompson, Jahdae Barron
2021 Commits:None (Billy Bowman*)
2021 Possibilities:Ishmael Ibraheem, JD Coffey, Andrew Mukuba
2022 Possibilities: Denver Harris, Austin Jordan, Bobby Taylor, Jaylon Guilbeau, Chace Biddle, Cristian Driver, Brenen Thompson

Texas is set to lose a lot of talent at the DB position after the 2021 season with the first 7 names listed above set to use up their eligibility by seasons end. That means the younger players listed will be stepping into major roles. There is some solid talent already on campus that will have a chance to develop in starters this next season. The 2021 class is weak in state but Texas is in a good position to add the best that is available. That said, look for the major reload to occur in the 2022 class that has a much more typical wealth of in state DB talent.

Punter: we added another aussie punter in the 2021 class. I've already forgotten his name (as has Tom Herman) but these guys have worked out great so far.

Recruiting rankings do matter everyone knows that. But last year they said we weren't going to do very well but we had a strong finish and cracked the top 10. As you and I agreed there will be vast number of committs and decommitts and at a fast pace. I'm hoping we can take advantage of that and maybe we'll finish higher than last years 10th ranked class. We win the Big XII maybe some kids will change their minds and come to us. Mostly I hope our new coaches can develop these kids into great players not just on Saturday but Sunday as well. That's one reason why recruiting rankings matter. I know this sounds like a cliche but let's be honest the last 10 years our player development has sucked and that's on the coaches. Oh and as for 5* players I can't remember which Brockermyer is the 5* recruit but I'm positive both of those boys will come to TX. I mean their grandfather and their father played at TX they're not going anywhere else.

Reactions: freeper
Recruiting rankings do matter everyone knows that. But last year they said we weren't going to do very well but we had a strong finish and cracked the top 10. As you and I agreed there will be vast number of committs and decommitts and at a fast pace. I'm hoping we can take advantage of that and maybe we'll finish higher than last years 10th ranked class. We win the Big XII maybe some kids will change their minds and come to us. Mostly I hope our new coaches can develop these kids into great players not just on Saturday but Sunday as well. That's one reason why recruiting rankings matter. I know this sounds like a cliche but let's be honest the last 10 years our player development has sucked and that's on the coaches. Oh and as for 5* players I can't remember which Brockermyer is the 5* recruit but I'm positive both of those boys will come to TX. I mean their grandfather and their father played at TX they're not going anywhere else.
The Brockermeyer's have a brother currently on the team, Luke. Every advantage in terms of family ties. But they have been seriously looking around at national powers, Bama being the biggest threat. These guys have NFL bloodlines and that is the ultimate goal. Bama certainly has a better recent track record in that regard.

The Brockermeyer's have a brother currently on the team, Luke. Every advantage in terms of family ties. But they have been seriously looking around at national powers, Bama being the biggest threat. These guys have NFL bloodlines and that is the ultimate goal. Bama certainly has a better recent track record in that regard.
Daddy was a first round pick.

Daddy knows more about being an offensive lineman than any coach on staff.

Another thought about the Brockermeyer family ties with TX. It's not just their father and grandfather but their Grandmommy and mommy were tri delta queens or whatever they can call. Now thats what I call real family ties. Forget about the fathers tri delta is far more important wink

And I understand Blake hasn't always been the biggest fan of UT as an Alum either, is that right? Not that he is anti-Texas but I think you've mentioned that he has had some issues at times.

His NFL pedigree and high level success are a reason for concern for me. I feel like that makes him more prone to look for the school with the best OL coaching and best chance to help his boys get to the league. And that answer may not be Texas.

I'm not going to speak on Brock's stuff one way or another-- but I don't know of any collegiate offensive line coaches that were drafted in the first round.

His NFL pedigree and high level success are a reason for concern for me. I feel like that makes him more prone to look for the school with the best OL coaching and best chance to help his boys get to the league. And that answer may not be Texas.
. I agree. But, then again, I would expect any parent and student to look at the football program and the academic program as a whole to determine the best fit and never give their services automatically.

Saw Mike Roach switched his CB from Texas to Alabama for Tommy and James Brockermeyer.

This would be an absolute ****ing disaster...especially since Byrd is trending SMU of all places.

What in the hell is Herb Hand doing?

This pandemic let us won't let us have a face to face, won't let the kids visit the schools, is hurting us. But myself and another poster talked about how there will be a lot of decommitts when this is over. I'm gonna sit tight and hope this works out for us.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT