ADVERTISEMENT

A&M Going After Jimbo?

He might go... I’ve read for a couple years he’s not been completely happy at FSU. After this year you figure the heat is gonna be on next year it would seem... wouldn’t completely dismiss it as a possibility.

Reactions: freeper
While he has some prior relationships with our administration until one of these big time coaches actually leaves, instead of using a potential offer as leverage for a new contract, I wont believe it.

James Franklin would be awesome, I am thankful you guys picked Strong over him last time, but do not think he will leave State.

Reactions: hornfan2006
While he has some prior relationships with our administration until one of these big time coaches actually leaves, instead of using a potential offer as leverage for a new contract, I wont believe it.

James Franklin would be awesome, I am thankful you guys picked Strong over him last time, but do not think he will leave State.

I don't see Franklin making what would be a lateral move to a&m. He's got Penn St. positioned to be a top five team for the near future. It would make no sense to walk away from that now.

I have a good friend who has some connections and he's usually pretty accurate on what he tells me. He is saying that Jimbo Fisher is going to Tennessee and Chad Morris to a&m. He is also hearing that Dan Mullen is in the mix for the Tennessee job as well. Gruden is out.

Last edited:
I have a good friend who has some connections and he's usually pretty accurate on what he tells me. He is saying that Jimbo Fisher is going to Tennessee and Chad Morris to a&m.
That would be a big get for Tennessee for sure. Seems like the state of Florida might be a place Herman could address the OL in this class with the coaching situation at several of the Florida schools being kind of up in the air.

I have a good friend who has some connections and he's usually pretty accurate on what he tells me. He is saying that Jimbo Fisher is going to Tennessee and Chad Morris to a&m. He is also hearing that Dan Mullen is in the mix for the Tennessee job as well. Gruden is out.
Jimbo to Tennessee tells me that Florida st is getting ready to get tomahawked by somebody.

Why leave the prime recruiting grounds of Florida for the Smokey mountains?

Jimbo to Tennessee tells me that Florida st is getting ready to get tomahawked by somebody.

Why leave the prime recruiting grounds of Florida for the Smokey mountains?

Jimbo wants to get back in the SEC. He's tired of fighting the brass at Florida State. He would have gone back to LSU if they would have given him a longer contract.

I like Chad Morris a lot....although I am a bit biased since he coached my old HS.

He doesn't get the texags faithful support, but I think he would do well at A&M.

I like Chad Morris a lot....although I am a bit biased since he coached my old HS.

He doesn't get the texags faithful support, but I think he would do well at A&M.

I think he would do a good job as well, and he's probably the most realistic candidate for the job.

Reactions: Bass Elder
i dont believe for a minute that Jimbo Fisher would leave FSU for Tennessee. Mullen's not going anywhere unless he gets the florida job.

i dont believe for a minute that Jimbo Fisher would leave FSU for Tennessee. Mullen's not going anywhere unless he gets the florida job.

We shall see. Word is that Fisher wants to coach again in the $EC. Tennessee > aggy. Mullen to Florida makes a lot of sense, given his ties there, but it looks like Florida is focusing on Kelly, but IMO, they should also strongly consider Scott Frost. He may end up at his alma mater, Nebraska. Lots of high profile HC jobs are about to be open.

Nebraska is going to call Frost--- and when momma calls you and tells you the house is on fire, you grab a bucket of water and run home.

Reactions: Belldozer1
It doesn't matter who they get! If Rumlin finishes with at least 8 Wins for the sixth consecutive season and this feat has only been accomplished one other time during the 115 year history of the program........and that's not enough. LOL. What could go wrong?

Reactions: freeper
Chad Morris is an A&M alum,knows about Texas high school recruiting,OC at clemson,solid choice for them.
SMU is 6-4 and a double digit underdog this week. Are the Ags going to be excited about a 7-5 coach taking over?

Looks like Florida and Chip Kelly have agreed to terms, according to multiple sources. I think Chip could do really well down there with that recruiting area. The SEC may actually have a team that can field an offense next year.

I just don't know that there are any sure fire coaches at this time that would leave their current jobs. I think that Mullen would be a good hire, but sometimes the fit is important, and because of that, I think Morris might be the best option for us. He basically built that Clemson offense and has gotten SMU to a competitive position. Also, he understands the culture and should be lights out on the recruiting trail. Time will tell, but I would not be disappointed to get Morris.

SMU is 6-4 and a double digit underdog this week. Are the Ags going to be excited about a 7-5 coach taking over?

Probably not, but fan excitement is not a very good measure to determine success. I would rather see Morris stay at SMU a few more year and continue making strides, but if you are aggy, beggars can't be choosers. Proven coaches don't really switch jobs, so you kind of have to roll the dice on the unproven.

Last edited:
Fit wise I think Morris will be a good hire at aggy. Does he need some more skins on the wall, sure, but like bubba said beggars cant be choosers.

Is it possible that Sumlin will be A&M's Mike Leach? Tech fans cried about Leach's lack of attention to defense, couldn't get over the top, etc., but now his year in year out 8 win seasons look pretty good in Lubbock. Be careful what you wish for Ags.

Is it possible that Sumlin will be A&M's Mike Leach? Tech fans cried about Leach's lack of attention to defense, couldn't get over the top, etc., but now his year in year out 8 win seasons look pretty good in Lubbock. Be careful what you wish for Ags.
Same could be said for Mack Brown.... zing

I don't know any Tech fans that wanted Leach gone. If so, they are idiots. Leach wasn't liked by the people in charge because of his personality and they saw an opportunity to oust him, but that's not the fans.

7-5 at SMU is pretty good. Since the season after the death penalty which was the 1989 season SMU has won 6 games or more 4 times. SMU isn’t the program it was prior to the death penalty and honestly may not get to the level even Houston is at.

Same could be said for Mack Brown.... zing

Mack was no longer winning at a consistent level though, so I don't really see it as a comparable situation. Certainly every program should know it is possible hire an even worse coach. But I would trade a consistent 7-8 game winner for an unknown every time.

So just ticking off the jobs open or probably open so far

Flordia
Tennessee
Ole Miss
Oregon State
Nebraska(assume)
Texas A&M
Arkansas just fired the AD can’t bode well for Belima

That seems like a lot of power 5 jobs.

UCLA is also most likely going to be looking for a new coach. Believe it or not, I'm hearing that Mack Brown is interested in the Tennessee job.

UCLA is also most likely going to be looking for a new coach. Believe it or not, I'm hearing that Mack Brown is interested in the Tennessee job.
I see him much more likely to coach again than I do as a fit for the Texas AD job. Still Tennessee would want a more long term fit I’d think. John Currie is the AD though he was at K state for years. I’m sure knows Mack well, and Rick Barnes is the basketball coach so who knows. Stranger things have happened.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT