ADVERTISEMENT

A prime example of this staff not doing their job

4MNChampsHorn

Jan 28, 2011
El Paso
Failing to properly evaluate during the recruiting process would have avoided this situation. We recruited an already injury prone football player. I don’t care that he was 4 stars. He is now medically retired from football, before playing a single down of college football. What a waste of a scholarship. Paging Todd Orlando. Good riddance!

https://www.burntorangenation.com/2...al-retirement-spinal-stenosis-texas-longhorns

Last edited:
Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
I guess we gonna have to Start Money-Whipping these fast guys and big OL and D guys to come to Texas, everybody else is doing it, I am not a SEC fan, but they got some guys with afterburners tied to their asses over there...Shit get their daddy a new Tractor or their MOM a new house.NCAA doesn't give a shit anyway or they would stop the other guys doing it....and the Integrity shit went out the window a long time ago!

Whittington is still having pain in his groin from the repair. He had and MRI a week ago or so and they cannot figure out why he is still having pain/discomfort. Hopefully he can heal up and be fully healthy for next year. If JW is healthy, he could be a monster player at Texas.

And who knows about Whittington as he's never hit the field for 2 long? And a few others, mighty suspicious recruiting going on...A 4 or 5 Star that can't play is a no Star...
There’s a big difference between a back problem like Floyd had and a sports hernia like Whittington had. He just never let the injury completely heal. I have no doubt he will be fine as I have had the same procedure done and recovered just fine. It just takes a while.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
This is an indictment of our piss poor recruiting and recruiting injured football players or those with histories of injuries during their senior season.

Alabama retracts offers for these type of players.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.statesman.com/news/20161202/another-bad-break-ends-sam-ehlingers-high-school-career-at-westlake?template=ampart

Sam Ehlinger missed his senior too yeah?
No. He broke his wrist during the playoffs.

It was his third injury of the season (torn meniscus and a broken thumb). But, he did miss the majority of his senior year in high school. Fair point.

I didn’t list the players recruited with a history of broken bones. I focused on some of the players that were out due to injuries this season. A defensive player or skill player with known fragile joints (neck, back, knees, ankles) and muscle or ligament tears/repairs are more likely to be reinjured and miss significant playing time.

Last edited:
This thread reeks of sour grapes and is a reach.

Every single program in the country would have taken each and every one of the players you mentioned in a heartbeat. That is a who’s who list of HIGHLY sought after prospects.

If programs had to forego recruiting/signing players that have injuries in high school they would have trouble fielding a team. This is tackle football we are talking about.

And the idea that the coaches should have been able to sniff out a future diagnosis of cervical spinal stenosis in De’Gabriel Floyd is silly. That’s a very rare condition at his age and needs advanced imaging studies to diagnose.

Every single program in the country would have taken each and every one of the players you mentioned in a heartbeat. That is a who’s who list of HIGHLY sought after prospects.

If programs had to forego recruiting/signing players that have injuries in high school they would have trouble fielding a team. This is tackle football we are talking about.

And the idea that the coaches should have been able to sniff out a future diagnosis of cervical spinal stenosis in De’Gabriel Floyd is silly. That’s a very rare condition at his age and needs advanced imaging studies to diagnose.
And not to mention anybody who has played football from a young age has experienced some sort of injury for the most part. It was just a bad luck I think this year honestly.

Fair counter point. However, my day job is an analyst. I spot trends in data & make recommendations to executive leaders. These coaches have access to the same analysts that give them recommendations. My argument is we are recruiting athletes with a history of joint, muscle, and tendon injuries. Either these guys should not have been recruited in the first place or our strength and conditioning program is horrible. You create your own luck.

Fair counter point. However, my day job is an analyst. I spot trends in data & make recommendations to executive leaders. These coaches have access to the same analysts that give them recommendations. My argument is we are recruiting athletes with a history of joint, muscle, and tendon injuries. Either these guys should not have been recruited in the first place or our strength and conditioning program is horrible. You create your own luck.

False alternative fallacy.

But sometimes the risk is worth it. Back in 2010, a TE was drafted in the 2nd round, having not played his final year of college football because of back surgery. That was Rob Gronkowski. He continued to have injury issues throughout his career, but the Patriots clearly made the right decision. But I'm sure at least one team, if not more, was getting reccomendations to stay clear. So what's the right answer in those situations?

But sometimes the risk is worth it. Back in 2010, a TE was drafted in the 2nd round, having not played his final year of college football because of back surgery. That was Rob Gronkowski. He continued to have injury issues throughout his career, but the Patriots clearly made the right decision. But I'm sure at least one team, if not more, was getting reccomendations to stay clear. So what's the right answer in those situations?
Don’t stock up half your recruiting class with these guys. It’s ok to take a risk on 15% or less.
But, to stock up half your recruiting class with injury prone athletes and call it “bad luck” when they get these same injuries in college, is stupid. Even more ignorant is the coach that stocks up these type athletes at the SAME POSITION!

Last edited:
Don’t stock up half your recruiting class with these guys. It’s ok to take a risk on 15% or less.
But, to stock up half your recruiting class with injury prone athletes and call it “bad luck” when they get these same injuries in college, is stupid. Even more ignorant is the coach that stocks up these type athletes at the SAME POSITION!

My guess is most star athletes have injuries do to being used a lot during high school. Shit some probably play both sides which increases their risk of injuries.

My guess is most star athletes have injuries do to being used a lot during high school. Shit some probably play both sides which increases their risk of injuries.
I started my junior & senior years in high school (offense, defense, and special teams). I never got injured. I attributed my “good luck” to living in weight room, 365 days out of the year. Then, I walked on at UT.

Which of the injury prone athletes were at the same position?

You're not going to get anywhere with Q1.

You have a valid point. Lets not forget that NFL, MLB, NBA, etc. scouts do the exact same thing. They avoid high injury risk players, or at least they devalue them and said players drop. But for you to think Texas should do something similar is ludicrous 4MNC...come on now!

You also have a point on the S&C program. If players keep getting AC joint injuries it's not bad luck. It is either an S&C problem or a taught technique problem.

I started my junior & senior years in high school (offense, defense, and special teams). I never got injured. I attributed my “good luck” to living in weight room, 365 days out of the year. Then, I walked on at UT.

Yeah that’s why I said “my guess” . I haven’t paid attention enough to other schools injuries to see if this is a common occurrence or it’s just us.

Which of the injury prone athletes were at the same position?
Many of our secondary players that were out with injuries this season had similar or the same injury in high school. Also the RB that was out with a sports hernia. The LB that just medically retired from football. Our defense was young going into the season, we could not afford to assume so much risk by recruiting injury prone athletes.

Another problem at Texas, over the last decade, is failing to develop 4 & 5 star athletes into NFL players, at least half the rate of Alabama & Ohio State.

Last edited:
Another glaring problem with 4MNC’s theory is more than one of those players would have to be dropped by Texas after they had publicly committed to the University.

One of the dumbest things you could do in recruiting to yourself is to drop a committed player after an injury.

Reactions: royalewithcheese
ADVERTISEMENT