ADVERTISEMENT

A Sunday afternoon at the recycling center

outhereincali

May 30, 2015
We all go thru a year and there are some things that we do or places we go to that stand out over the course of a year. And since it's December I'd like to tell you guys about my wife and our experience there last September.

First of all I noticed as soon as I moved to Cali that there is a recycling tax. I never collected cans growing up in TX there was no recycling tax. But I thought wth if I have to a pay a tax I might as well start collecting cans. My specialty is aluminium. And through the years my wife and I have done pretty good sometimes we've gotten as much as $35 But that's a month's of collecting cans and about 9 trash bags of cans.

We we're in that same situation a few months ago and we kept procrastinating. So finally we went on a Sunday. Now most of the recycling centers are closed on Sunday but the main one on Florin road is. So we go in with 11 bags. We go and take the garbage cans we need fill them up and wait in line.

Now you need to know about Florin rd in Sacramento. To use a San Antonio analogy it's Sacramento's version of Guadeloupe st. People in SA know what I'm taking about. The center is in a big lot with spilled coke all over the ground and you'd be surprised at the odor of a lot of spilled coke. And that leads to a lot of bees. My wife is allergic to bees so she held her breath the entire time we were there. But fortunately we weren't bothered.

While we we're waiting on line there was this lady and she had a lot of trash cans, and I mean a lot of cans. She held up the life for at least 45 minutes. Then she got to the front of.the line. Now have you ever seen those circular shape bags they put the cans in? I mean those bags are 7' tall. Now here's where you need to know this lady's specialty was plastic. This lady filled up 11 of those bags with plastic bottles. I'm telling you it looked like a lifetime's labor of collecting plastic bottles. She must have gone to every trash can in Sacramento County, Placer County, El Dorado County and for good measure she made a quick stop to Grass Valley a town 50 miles north of us. When it was all over she had not quite $200. We couldn't believe it what you can recycle aluminium cans, scrap metal, it's pretty wild. Once we got to our car away from the spilled coke and the bees we couldn't stop laughing. What people will do to get some money.

Last edited:
Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
We all go thru a year and there are some things that we do or places we go to that stand out over the course of a year. And since it's December I'd like to tell you guys about my wife and our experience there last September.

First of all I noticed as soon as I moved to Cali that there is a recycling tax. I never collected cans growing up in TX there was no recycling tax. But I thought wth if I have to a pay a tax I might as well start collecting cans. My specialty is aluminium. And through the years my wife and I have done pretty good sometimes we've gotten as much as $35 But that's a month's of collecting cans and about 9 trash bags of cans.

We we're in that same situation a few months ago and we kept procrastinating. So finally we went on a Sunday. Now most of the recycling centers are closed on Sunday but the main one on Florin road is. So we go in with 11 bags. We go and take the garbage cans we need fill them up and wait in line.

Now you need to know about Florin rd in Sacramento. To use a San Antonio analogy it's Sacramento's version of Guadeloupe st. People in SA know what I'm taking about. The center is in a big lot with spilled coke all over the ground and you'd be surprised at the odor of a lot of spilled coke. And that leads to a lot of bees. My wife is allergic to bees so she held her breath the entire time we were there. But fortunately we weren't bothered.

While we we're waiting on line there was this lady and she had a lot of trash cans, and I mean a lot of cans. She held up the life for at least 45 minutes. Then she got to the front of.the line. Now have you ever seen those circular shape bags they put the cans in? I mean those bags are 7' tall. Now here's where you need to know this lady's specialty was plastic. This lady filled up 11 of those bags with plastic bottles. I'm telling you it looked like a lifetime's labor of collecting plastic bottles. She must have gone to every trash can in Sacramento County, Placer County, El Dorado County and for good measure she made a quick stop to Grass Valley a town 50 miles north of us. When it was all over she had not quite $200. We couldn't believe it what you can recycle aluminium cans, scrap metal, it's pretty wild. Once we got to our car away from the spilled coke and the bees we couldn't stop laughing. What people will do to get some money.

When people are Hungry and got kids and trying to make it. you'd be surprise what they will do, at the VFW Bar, we did can recycling and then they closed the center where ya took the cans, it got to be so much trouble doing this , it wasn't worth it anymore, so we give the cans to a disabled Vet sponsor and they do it, back in my younger days it was Pop Bottles and Beer Bottles at 10 cents a pop..

I was in NYC in September and was standing just outside Yankee Stadium in the Bronx after the Yankees vs Toronto game. There was this huge box that was a recycler and people were standing in line with shopping carts full of cans and bottle and dropping them in the box one by one and collecting change. Never seen that before.

Unfortunately, plastic doesn't actually recycle. China was buying it for a while, but quit a year or so ago. Indonesia taking some now, but maybe not for long. There was a tv blurb last week about chemicals from burning it getting into chickens. Probably best to put it in the landfill. Stupid politicians.

ADVERTISEMENT