ADVERTISEMENT

All Signs Pointing to NIL in Texas HS Sports- UIL DONE

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
Had a long meeting yesterday with some lawyers regarding a separate issue- and the topic was raised-- the football, NIL, open enrollment, UIL governing etc.

Pretty much all of you know who the UIL is and what their role consists of.

There's a rule that says that a kid can't leave one school in Texas to go to another school in Texas simply for "athletic reasons". The coach won't sign off on the kid and the UIL won't either. Now, obviously, if a parent takes a new job in another city, moves, the kid is going to get released. But if you're going to school in Cuero and decide you want your kid in Victoria- you can't send the kid to Victoria if the reason is "athletics".

That's all about to change. As I told you a while back, 11 freshmen kids that played together for years on a prep team, all decided they wanted to go play HS football for San Marcos high. Some families moved near SM, some didn't. But all 11 of those kids ended up on the SM freshman team. They're not good- they're fantastic. Smoked everyone they played.

The state UIL realized what they were doing and handed down punishment. No varsity for ANY of the kids. The coach gets suspended. No playoffs for 1 year for SM football.
The parents hire lawyers. We are going to court. The argument will be that this- "what parent wouldn't want the best for their kid? Why can't we take our kid from one school to another school to play sports with kids they grew up playing with? Don't you think every parent should do what they think is best for THEIR child?".

At this point, all 12 jurors, many will likely be parents, will say "hell yes we have to be allowed to do what's best for our kids!".
You would. I would. Any parent would.

Why should kids be suspended from play when all they wanted to do was play WITH their friends.

"But Clob! Why wouldn't all the kids families just follow the rules and MOVE to San Marcos?".

Well- because some of those parents are poor. Can't afford it. "Must be nice to be rich and be able to get around the rules...."

The second that gavel hits the bench, the power of the UIL will be gone.

Second- public schools aren't doing very well. Some are-- but many aren't. The state is talking about school vouchers. This means my kid can go to ANY school I can physically take them to. The UIL polices kids going from school to school but with vouchers, this means they won't be able to.

Now- once the UIL has been neutered, this paves the way for NIL deals for HS kids as well as recruiting by HS coaches. Yes- it happens in Texas-- daily.
Yes.....daily. Trust me on this. But after these thing ls happen, it will be out in the open.

I think there's already 15 or 17 states that allow NIL deal fir HS kids. Texas is about to be on that list.

"But Colby, this can't happen. It will ruin HS sports!"

Oh it's happening. Don't believe me? The most powerful person in Texas athletics just saw the writing on the wall. Instead of staying here to be the ruler of all things Texas sports, Susan Elza, UIL big boss, decided to quit her job and move to the tropical paradise of Lincoln, Nebraska--
Nooooo.... not the be the new athletic director at the prestigious school of Nebraska.

Nope.

She gave up all this power to work for Matt Rhule. She's going to be his "chief of staff". AKA glorified secretary.
Her responsibilities will be to-
Organize his travel schedule
His meeting schedule
Help with the budget
His recruiting schedule
Run interference with the media after Nebraska drops 4 straight games
And that's about it....

Now, I ask you-- why would a woman- the most powerful athletic big dog in the state of the most powerful HS athletics state in America-- give up ALL that power, to move to corn country, and be a glorified secretary?

Because the UIL is about to be nuked. She knows it. She bailed.

Last edited:
Reactions: HerkieWalls
Sooo what you are saying, when my son grows up and we live in po dunk and he is good in baseball and they recruit him to say Southlake he can go with a voucher and we don't ever have to move to Southlake for him to go to school there?

Had a long meeting yesterday with some lawyers regarding a separate issue- and the topic was raised-- the football, NIL, open enrollment, UIL governing etc.

Pretty much all of you know who the UIL is and what their role consists of.

There's a rule that says that a kid can't leave one school in Texas to go to another school in Texas simply for "athletic reasons". The coach won't sign off on the kid and the UIL won't either. Now, obviously, if a parent takes a new job in another city, moves, the kid is going to get released. But if you're going to school in Cuero and decide you want your kid in Victoria- you can't send the kid to Victoria if the reason is "athletics".

That's all about to change. As I told you a while back, 11 freshmen kids that played together for years on a prep team, all decided they wanted to go play HS football for San Marcos high. Some families moved near SM, some didn't. But all 11 of those kids ended up on the SM freshman team. They're not good- they're fantastic. Smoked everyone they played.

The state UIL realized what they were doing and handed down punishment. No varsity for ANY of the kids. The coach gets suspended. No playoffs for 1 year for SM football.
The parents hire lawyers. We are going to court. The argument will be that this- "what parent wouldn't want the best for their kid? Why can't we take our kid from one school to another school to play sports with kids they grew up playing with? Don't you think every parent should do what they think is best for THEIR child?".

At this point, all 12 jurors, many will likely be parents, will say "hell yes we have to be allowed to do what's best for our kids!".
You would. I would. Any parent would.

Why should kids be suspended from play when all they wanted to do was play WITH their friends.

"But Colby! Why wouldn't all the kids families just follow the rules and MOVE to San Marcos?".

Well- because some of those parents are poor. Can't afford it. "Must be nice to be rich and be able to get around the rules...."

The second that gavel hits the bench, the power of the UIL will be gone.

Second- public schools aren't doing very well. Some are-- but many aren't. The state is talking about school vouchers. This means my kid can go to ANY school I can physically take them to. The UIL polices kids going from school to school but with vouchers, this means they won't be able to.

Now- once the UIL has been neutered, this paves the way for NIL deals for HS kids as well as recruiting by HS coaches. Yes- it happens in Texas-- daily.
Yes.....daily. Trust me on this. But after these thing ls happen, it will be out in the open.

I think there's already 15 or 17 states that allow NIL deal fir HS kids. Texas is about to be on that list.

"But Colby, this can't happen. It will ruin HS sports!"

Oh it's happening. Don't believe me? The most powerful person in Texas athletics just saw the writing on the wall. Instead of staying here to be the ruler of all things Texas sports, Susan Elza, UIL big boss, decided to quit her job and move to the tropical paradise of Lincoln, Nebraska--
Nooooo.... not the be the new athletic director at the prestigious school of Nebraska.

Nope.

She gave up all this power to work for Matt Rhule. She's going to be his "chief of staff". AKA glorified secretary.
Her responsibilities will be to-
Organize his travel schedule
His meeting schedule
Help with the budget
His recruiting schedule
Run interference with the media after Nebraska drops 4 straight games
And that's about it....

Now, I ask you-- why would a woman- the most powerful athletic big dog in the state of the most powerful HS athletics state in America-- give up ALL that power, to move to corn country, and be a glorified secretary?

Because the UIL is about to be nuked. She knows it. She bailed.
You used your name in this post.

I don't think it will get blown up completely. I don't think the moving for athletic purposes will stand up but the rules regarding residency will. Kid and both parents have to reside in their primary residence which is in the schools attendance zone. Or if parents are divorced then it is living with the court ordered guardian in their primary residence in the schools attendance zone.

This has been going on for many years now. I can't tell you how many times when I was coaching that a star player just magically appeared at a school out of nowhere. I know where I grew up in Aledo they would get the parents of a player jobs within the school district and that was perfectly legal.

This has been going on for many years now. I can't tell you how many times when I was coaching that a star player just magically appeared at a school out of nowhere. I know where I grew up in Aledo they would get the parents of a player jobs within the school district and that was perfectly legal.
Since the 1980's.

Reactions: Hoookem722
I don't think it will get blown up completely. I don't think the moving for athletic purposes will stand up but the rules regarding residency will. Kid and both parents have to reside in their primary residence which is in the schools attendance zone. Or if parents are divorced then it is living with the court ordered guardian in their primary residence in the schools attendance zone.
I think it happens like dominoes. Once the first one falls, the next starts to tip. If a parent can get that child to a school-- I think the court will rule in favor of it. Granted, if you live in McAllen and want your kid to go to Southlake Carroll- obviously you'd need to move the kid.

The majority of schools would not benefit. I just wonder who would sanction the competition across all of the different sports, music and academics and also how many districts would opt out of competing against super schools. I don't have an opinion, only questions at this point.

This will be horrible for HS sports!
This is the reason why rural school districts can no longer compete with the cities and suburbs. Even though enrollment might be the same, the talent shifts around to go to a certain school and the rural districts pretty much have to rely on home grown talent. We will continue to see the same 5 or 6 schools in the championships every year.

Reactions: westx
So build an IMG academy here and problem solved
This is what Texas will evolve toward. Also, the Texas legislature is taking up the issue of school choice as a priority issue this session and I'm certain the role of the UIL will be dovetailed into that debate.

I predict Texas will follow the model set by the state of Florida where school choice options are more available than anywhere else. In Florida, even kids who are home-schooled have the choice to play sports at any public or private school.

I'm quite certain that IMG or other similar prep academies will become more prominent in Texas very soon. These academies are run by high powered sports representation firms and they are only interested in the most highly elite prospects. The idea being that when they ultimately become pro athletes they agree to be represented by those same firms.

But, yes, Clob is correct that the UIL will no longer be viable once these changes begin. HS sports in Texas will be changed forever and many are going to debate whether this is a good thing or not. The legislature is going to try and thread the needle to pacify all the stakeholders who have an interest in the matter.

This is the reason why rural school districts can no longer compete with the cities and suburbs. Even though enrollment might be the same, the talent shifts around to go to a certain school and the rural districts pretty much have to rely on home grown talent. We will continue to see the same 5 or 6 schools in the championships every year.
Well typically your rural school districts are in your smaller classifications so they are not typically competing against your bigger inner city schools.

When Texas drew maps they concentrated democrats into mostly urban cores and then sliced up the suburbs and added them to more rural areas. You have a lot of Legislators that have large rural constituencies and they don't like school choice because it is not economically feasible for charter or private schools to operate in those areas and in the long run those communities would lose out on state level funding. Then you also have the High School Coaches association which has a very strong lobbying arm and they also have the ability to get thousands of phone calls out when an legislative alert goes up.

Reactions: ElDiabloTejano
At least she doesn't have to pick up his dry-cleaning or grab his order at Starbucks...those jobs belong to the Deputy Chief of Staff.....

After a year of attendance, despite living out of the district, they can drive daily from like El Paso to San Marcos and be eligible for varsity sports. Play sub varsity the first "ineligible" year...
Just don't advertise you're doing it for athletic purposes.

or... and just stay with me here... elza was eligible for retirement in the state of Texas, and ruhle sought her out for her connections to coaches throughout Texas. so she can double-dip with the Texas retirement + the sweet gig at nebraska. moreover, they may have a shortened amount of time to be fully vested in nebraska, so in a few years she could draw 2 full retirements. in new mexico, for instance, you're fully vested in 5 years. a lot of educators double-dip there.

or... and just stay with me here... elza was eligible for retirement in the state of Texas, and ruhle sought her out for her connections to coaches throughout Texas. so she can double-dip with the Texas retirement + the sweet gig at nebraska. moreover, they may have a shortened amount of time to be fully vested in nebraska, so in a few years she could draw 2 full retirements. in new mexico, for instance, you're fully vested in 5 years. a lot of educators double-dip there.
If I had a buzzer I'd press it to neg you.

You can't pull two state or national pensions. They offset each other--

Now, just stay with me here--

Back in the early 2000s the Fed looked around and said "why do we have all these teachers on social security AND their state retirement pension?"
And with one pen stroke they took it all away. So, if you have your 40 quarters in social security as well as qualify for your state pension, you don't get the full amount of BOTH. Nope. You get offset.
So we can rule that one out.

Now, is it possible that she's double dipping? Possibly. BUT---- she left in the middle of the school year which means she wouldn't get credit for the full year towards her retirement. Perhaps her new job pays so much that it doesn't matter. But I seriously doubt as "chief of staff" for the head football coach at Nebraska she's pulling down WAY more than she was as the head of the UIL. She's making right at 200k as it is.

Yes we can't get teacher retirement and SS. We can retire in one state and pull that full retirement while working in another state to get vested in their system. Can pull two diff states teacher retirement, but it would be low in the other state.
Once I retire from education I'm not going to another state........I'm going into a whole new line of work. I won't be able to not work so I'm gonna do something less stressful than education for sure. I'll bus tables before I do that. Now with Texas being a rule of 90 state most can't even look at retirement until nearly 60 and then they make it to where you have to stay a few more years after for it to even be worth it.
I screwed the pooch financially when I left the business world and went into educaton........
I do believe she will get her full Texas retirement and could be vested at a high level in the Neb education retirement to pull from it.

The rule of 90 is new. I'm rule of 80. I want to say it was briefly 85. But 90 sucks.

I'm going to retire in Texas and see if they need an old ball coach in Islamorada or key largo for a few years

. so she can double-dip with the Texas retirement + the sweet gig at nebraska. moreover, they may have a shortened amount of time to be fully vested in nebraska, so in a few years she could draw 2 full retirements. in new mexico, for instance, you're fully vested in 5 years. a lot of educators double-dip there.

I hate this term. People do not understand, if you are eligible for 2 retirements, you get to draw on 2 retirements. If you start taking one early, you simply get a smaller pay out today.

It's an annuity, whether you start now or in 10 years, the state holds the same financial obligation.

The rule of 90 is new. I'm rule of 80. I want to say it was briefly 85. But 90 sucks.

I'm going to retire in Texas and see if they need an old ball coach in Islamorada or key largo for a few years
I'm rule of 80 as well. 90 super sucks

Yes we can't get teacher retirement and SS. We can retire in one state and pull that full retirement while working in another state to get vested in their system. Can pull two diff states teacher retirement, but it would be low in the other state.
Once I retire from education I'm not going to another state........I'm going into a whole new line of work. I won't be able to not work so I'm gonna do something less stressful than education for sure. I'll bus tables before I do that. Now with Texas being a rule of 90 state most can't even look at retirement until nearly 60 and then they make it to where you have to stay a few more years after for it to even be worth it.
I screwed the pooch financially when I left the business world and went into educaton........
I do believe she will get her full Texas retirement and could be vested at a high level in the Neb education retirement to pull from it.
Find the state that has the best retirement system as well as reciprocity with Texas. Go work a year there. Move your Texas retirement to that state.

Reactions: EWNHorn
But hey man, the state "appreciates" all teachers do though....amirite?

Shitty insurance....waiting until you're near death to collect your pension. Go Texas!!
The real nut punch is this-

As a teacher, your retirement multiplier is 2.3--

So 2.3 X years of service = your % multiplier _____ then multiple that number by your average highest 5 years of salary.

The state employee multiplier is 2.5

Reactions: weevilcatch
I hate this term. People do not understand, if you are eligible for 2 retirements, you get to draw on 2 retirements. If you start taking one early, you simply get a smaller pay out today.

It's an annuity, whether you start now or in 10 years, the state holds the same financial obligation.
What teachers that meet the rule of 80 should do right now-

Retire.

Sit out one month and go back to work. It's called retire, re-hire.

"But Clob, muh school won't do that!".

There's a teacher shortage. They'll do it. And if they don't, go work for the district down the road.

Last edited:
All this plays well for Dallas Jesuit and Houston Strake Jesuit. Only 2 private schools in UIL. Can legally recruit with school choice and offer a high end education. Will be like up north where Catholic schools dominate sports.

Reactions: Texasfan1963
The real nut punch is this-

As a teacher, your retirement multiplier is 2.3--

So 2.3 X years of service = your % multiplier _____ then multiple that number by your average highest 5 years of salary.

The state employee multiplier is 2.5

LOL, oh yeah...forgot about this too. Thanks for the reminder, 😂

I started my own side hustle shit several years back. We're gonna be out as soon as I can...maybe before

What teachers that meet the rule of 80 should do right now-

Retire.

Sit out one month and go back to work. It's called retire, re-hire.

"But Clob, muh school won't do that!".

There's a teacher shortage. They'll do it. And if they don't, go work for the district down the road.
But I no wanna now............def don't wanna when I can finally get away from the circus called public education

ADVERTISEMENT