ADVERTISEMENT

An update on the situation involving hornsfan65

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weird! Thank you for your heart, grace, and directness.

tumblr_nioau35Cf01qjde42o1_500.png

a9934a84dc257cb1bc630a9ec418f968.gif

...in front of a sword shop.
Why does everyone keep referencing the sword shop? I remember the guy talking about how he wanted to start a sword shop and everyone laughing about it because it was so ridiculous that a guy living with his parents was going to start a sword shop in a strip mall, but was it some sort of scam thing that’s similar to this and SHE? Or is it just another funny OB story?

My last post tonight.

I can't go into detail right now out of the respect of the dynamics involved, but serious compassion is needed right now.

If you guys never follow another request of mine, please consider this one - let the buzz of this situation die down. There are more important things that need to happen right now over giving this dude grief.

I'm involved. I'm doing what couldn't be done on Saturday night when it was needed (IMO). Let me take the lead and try to handle this in the best way I can. There are very real people involved in all of this and it's beyond complicated.

Good night and God bless.
Sounds like this may mean one of his teenagers did this.

Every 5 years or so an epic troll hits the board. That mofo had the hook line and sinker on full rig. Anwar comes along and saves the day by unveiling the catfish... Suggestion refund 75 percent of the donation fees and throw an epic tail gate party with the rest...

Reactions: echeese
He claims to have never sent anyone a PM. His PM history is long, detailed and complicated. Haunting, actually.
only appropriate that we all might be in the middle of a horror movie.

"the calls are coming from upstairs!"

On any given day (or EVERY given day), the board is ‘cluttered’ with things I personally care nothing about. Soccer, bourbon, little league, best place to eat in ———-. It’s ALL clutter to me and I don’t click on it.

And then comes an OT thread I find interesting. I hope OT threads certain posters aren’t interested in aren’t relegated to some obscure OT Forum. That’ll be the ruination of this board.
Zactly

My last post tonight.

I can't go into detail right now out of the respect of the dynamics involved, but serious compassion is needed right now.

If you guys never follow another request of mine, please consider this one - let the buzz of this situation die down. There are more important things that need to happen right now over giving this dude grief.

I'm involved. I'm doing what couldn't be done on Saturday night when it was needed (IMO). Let me take the lead and try to handle this in the best way I can. There are very real people involved in all of this and it's beyond complicated.

Good night and God bless.
Ketch, I think you're a truly good person, even if you won't address my Kirk Johnson topic in the BUY/SELL thread each week.

Reactions: 65HornInTacoma
They need to have him involuntarily committed. He has threatened and faked suicide...that’s grounds for admission if not voluntary then involuntary. People that are not professionals should not be burdened with this responsibility and if he won’t go then the sheriffs dept needs to go detain him and take him in. Enough of this bothering people and upending their lives with his illness...he needs hospitalization now.
As you can imagine, the person we spoke to was completely overwhelmed. That person was actually at the hospital because their grandfather was sick, and then we added the suicide issue. I planned to follow up this morning and will suggest that. Sadly, he’s been depressed for a long time, and he indeed was drunk and driving around late Saturday night and Sunday morning. He told Ketch and I he had a 9-year-old son, but that was a lie. He actually does have an 11-year-old son from his first marriage. It appears he really thought about taking his life this weekend. Now we have to encourage those close to him to make sure he does get help.

Well, I've officially had the one of the most surreal 24 hours of my life. Given that this is completely uncharted territory, I'm going to try to explain this situation via a short timeline of events.

* After the events from Saturday night and Sunday morning concerning the safety of the Orangebloods poster @hornsfan65, the Orangebloods staff spent the better part of Sunday and today working will law enforcement officials to confirm what had allegedly occurred on the message board. There wasn't a phone number listed in the user's contact information and none of the other listed information was current/correct, so initial efforts to provide both aid and confirmation were unsuccessful.

* By the end of this morning, we had very, very strong reasons to believe that the story that @hornsfan65 had told on the site had been untrue. Anwar Richardson led the investigation for us all day today and eventually confirmed through Amarillo police that @hornsfan65 was alive. The police had spoken with @hornsfan65 and that he confirmed that he was safe and claimed his account had been hacked over the weekend. While on a three-way call with Anwar and the police officer, we requested that the officer contact @hornsfan65 and ask if we could contact him.

* Less than an hour ago, Anwar and I spoke with @hornsfan65 over the phone. According to him, he has not used his Orangebloods account in quite a while and he can't explain how this situation occurred or who might have made the posts under his account if it wasn't him. Honestly, we asked a number of questions that he just didn't have answers for and it means that as of this very second, I can't fully explain situation this with complete detail, even if I have strong suspicions about what happened.

The best possible news is that we didn't lose an Orangebloods member this weekend in horrific fashion. I keep reminding myself that this is all that matters. I want to express to everyone that I made repeated attempts to check on his safety and state of mind, imploring with him to talk with us if he needed someone to talk to. However, he was quite insistent that he was in good health and of sound mind.

The bad news is that the a lot of people, including myself, were taken advantage of. All the members of this community wanted to do was be there for someone in a moment of need and that amazing amount of good faith was taken advantage of.

I don't know what else to say other than these three things:

1. Everyone who contributed to the fund that @echeese established in the last 24 hours will have their money refunded. I've told Chuck that I will work hand in hand in any capacity needed to make sure this is done in quick fashion.

2. There is still an active investigation about this on our end. I wouldn't normally write something before an investigation concludes, but this matter required urgent communication between myself and the board.

3. We will work to create a vetting process exists for any fund that is promoted on the site moving forward. We were all just trying to do the right thing, but in the future we're going to have to wait until situations are fully vetted before we support and allow for donations to take place.

A few people have told me that I don't have anything to be sorry about as it relates to all of this, but I don't believe that to be true. The buck stops with me and in retrospect, I would do things a little different today with the ability of a little hindsight.

My sincere apologies.

gk
Don't apologize. Thanks for your work. Didn't someone post that they had beers with hornsfan65 and had discussed his military background?

@echeese This is part of a post you made yesterday morning in the Adios thread:

Just heard from Talley (not sure his handle here) who son knew him and served with him. Their XO had taken his life very recently too.

By all accounts he was a great guy and well respected.”

Who is this Talley guy? The info he provided you seems to contradict everything we’ve learned about 65 in this thread.
Talk about weird. No response from @echeese ....weird

So he's saying this guy was just wanting attention? Then why did his wife come on and say he passed away? Seems they were running a scam?
Dude. There was no wife who came on here, it was him and he seems really really troubled to me. It wasn't an intentional scam at all IMO.

As you can imagine, the person we spoke to was completely overwhelmed. That person was actually at the hospital because their grandfather was sick, and then we added the suicide issue. I planned to follow up this morning and will suggest that. Sadly, he’s been depressed for a long time, and he indeed was drunk and driving around late Saturday night and Sunday morning. He told Ketch and I he had a 9-year-old son, but that was a lie. He actually does have an 11-year-old son from his first marriage. It appears he really thought about taking his life this weekend. Now we have to encourage those close to him to make sure he does get help.
Good man.Good job.

I bet you are missing covering the pro's about now.

In all seriousness you did a great job. You, @Ketchum and @echeese should be extremely proud of your efforts over these past few days.

Reactions: echeese
Delete the username; and make him sign up again... hell make him get a username; even a free yearly membership. People are SICK. Glad he is alive and well.

EDIT: Just read everything. NEVERMIND. HE IS SICK & needs help... Glad he is alive but the Stolen Valor thing is eating at me.... WOW

Last edited:
So he's saying this guy was just wanting attention? Then why did his wife come on and say he passed away? Seems they were running a scam?

Wasn't his wife he didn't even tell the truth about that he claimed his wife was Mary not her name ........claimed he had one kid .....he actually has three

Talk about weird. No response from @echeese ....weird

@AthensHornFan @athenslawyer

Sorry I shut it down last night dealing with a completely unrelated but similar problem. Woke up this morning to 88 likes or tags or quotes

The information I got from tally was third hand and he was referencing his XO who had committed suicide not this gentleman. Sorry my bad I didn't realize who he was refrencing

But as a result of this two orangebloods and another veterans family have reached out to get help and I have at least pointed them in a direction to start

Doing this on my phone while my son is out doing cross-country training but will reply once I get back to the computer

Sucks. This board has become a Dear Abby of sorts, which says a lot about the community, but it has gotten painful to read. I won’t comment on any specific posts, but you can’t read 3 threads without a “prayers needed” topic. Maybe create a corral for such things.

The board is nothing short of depressing.
For Pete's sake nothing forces you to read those messeges. Be better.

Last edited:
Reactions: LJ01
Let's remember.... 100% this is a crappy situation & should've never happened BUT we do not know what everyone is going through. It is easy to judge. We do not know where his mental state is. The GREAT news is..... he is alive and let's get him help (if he allows it).

Reactions: LnghrnObsrvtry
This thread is a doozy. Pretty crazy event of the sorts. Hope this guy gets the help he needs. Nearly caused this community a damn heart attack

Let's remember.... 100% this is a crappy situation & should've never happened BUT we do not know what everyone is going through. It is easy to judge. We do not know where his mental state is. The GREAT news is..... he is alive and let's get him help (if he allows it).
Absolutely. Let me start a gofund me real quick

Well, I've officially had the one of the most surreal 24 hours of my life. Given that this is completely uncharted territory, I'm going to try to explain this situation via a short timeline of events.

* After the events from Saturday night and Sunday morning concerning the safety of the Orangebloods poster @hornsfan65, the Orangebloods staff spent the better part of Sunday and today working will law enforcement officials to confirm what had allegedly occurred on the message board. There wasn't a phone number listed in the user's contact information and none of the other listed information was current/correct, so initial efforts to provide both aid and confirmation were unsuccessful.

* By the end of this morning, we had very, very strong reasons to believe that the story that @hornsfan65 had told on the site had been untrue. Anwar Richardson led the investigation for us all day today and eventually confirmed through Amarillo police that @hornsfan65 was alive. The police had spoken with @hornsfan65 and that he confirmed that he was safe and claimed his account had been hacked over the weekend. While on a three-way call with Anwar and the police officer, we requested that the officer contact @hornsfan65 and ask if we could contact him.

* Less than an hour ago, Anwar and I spoke with @hornsfan65 over the phone. According to him, he has not used his Orangebloods account in quite a while and he can't explain how this situation occurred or who might have made the posts under his account if it wasn't him. Honestly, we asked a number of questions that he just didn't have answers for and it means that as of this very second, I can't fully explain situation this with complete detail, even if I have strong suspicions about what happened.

The best possible news is that we didn't lose an Orangebloods member this weekend in horrific fashion. I keep reminding myself that this is all that matters. I want to express to everyone that I made repeated attempts to check on his safety and state of mind, imploring with him to talk with us if he needed someone to talk to. However, he was quite insistent that he was in good health and of sound mind.

The bad news is that the a lot of people, including myself, were taken advantage of. All the members of this community wanted to do was be there for someone in a moment of need and that amazing amount of good faith was taken advantage of.

I don't know what else to say other than these three things:

1. Everyone who contributed to the fund that @echeese established in the last 24 hours will have their money refunded. I've told Chuck that I will work hand in hand in any capacity needed to make sure this is done in quick fashion.

2. There is still an active investigation about this on our end. I wouldn't normally write something before an investigation concludes, but this matter required urgent communication between myself and the board.

3. We will work to create a vetting process exists for any fund that is promoted on the site moving forward. We were all just trying to do the right thing, but in the future we're going to have to wait until situations are fully vetted before we support and allow for donations to take place.

A few people have told me that I don't have anything to be sorry about as it relates to all of this, but I don't believe that to be true. The buck stops with me and in retrospect, I would do things a little different today with the ability of a little hindsight.

My sincere apologies.

gk

With respect to # 3 : It would appear you got kicked in the heart as opposed to other parts of your anatomy!!! Trying to do right sometimes puts you in some other idiot's crosshairs ...

Suggestion, in the future wait for the the certificate of death to come from a lawfuly elected or appointed official ...

Beyond that your human and ain't that something grand to be ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT