ADVERTISEMENT

An update on the situation involving hornsfan65

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK,

I'm pretty red faced but working with Fundly to return funds.

One thing I do want to share, I have had 3 OBs reach out to me today about family members that need help around the state.

Real, no bullshit cases of guys needing help plus a LEO who head a group called 3rd watch, called me (I had posted the link to fund raise online) about another vet who needs help.

But trying to make lemonaide of our lemons.

:oops:

What you did, what @Ketchum did, what others that reached out, prayed and donated did is commendable across the board.

We got suckered, but everyone here did the right things from start to finish.

Thank you for the update and the details you shared, @Ketchum. As far as getting my donation back, that's great, but if there is a way to redirect it to help in other ways with helping the other OBs @echeese mentioned, I'm fine with that too.

she certainly did. I hope the fund was closed right after OBs knew of this. What a crazy story, but unfortunately not surprising. honestly, there are a lot of gofundme drives out there on social media (OBs too) that seem shady. it's unfortunate. I personally gave hundreds to a friend of a friend's gofundme once only to find out they needed it for a vegas trip. I told myself then and there never again. I will personally help someone in need but unless i can personally validate who the money is going to i won't do it. And that sucks.

Last edited:
Don’t worry about it @Ketchum

I’m I the only one who is actually proud of what happened even if it happened under false pretenses?

Not just the money raised but the outpouring of love, passion, and genuine goodness showed by the community that is Orangebloods?

People were (literally) willing to hop in cars in the middle of the night to help someone in need. That’s badass stuff.

This one didnt feel quite right to me from the beginning. Props to the board for stepping up like you always do and OB staff for getting to the bottom of it.

He told us he never served in the military. I asked why was avatar military related. He said he never put up that avatar and somebody else must of done it.

Not even military? Fvck him

Or, shows the site and members are ripe for the picking.

Maybe but I’d rather focus on the compassion and generosity that was displayed. People’s heart was in the right place so taking shots at the community here over this sucks imo as people stepped up big time.

Ketch, love the site . Your boy Bobby has been kicking your ass in recruiting for over a year . You need to hire another recruiting guy to rival with EJ . Your business not mine .

Yes, this is the thread to make this post - what a ****ing jackass you are. The complete idiocy and jackassery of some of the stupid ****s on this site floors me sometimes, but I guess it shouldn’t after all these years. Go **** yourself.

I feel for you and your staff. This has to be a crazy situation and normall unnecessary for daily operation. I am grateful for both you extraordinary effort in support of a single OB member and the security and safety of all OB members. It's why I keep paying. Thx u.

Not even military? Fvck him

Maybe but I’d rather focus on the compassion and generosity that was displayed. People’s heart was in the right place so taking shots at the community here over this sucks imo as people stepped up big time.
You’re such a punk.

@hornsfan65 is lying if he's saying his account was hacked, b/c the Verizon cell phone IP address used to post Sat & Sun is the same IP address used in the past by him. It's also the same IP address used to list his favorite posters on the board on Saturday, which no one that hacked his account would do. If he has the balls to (purportedly) become an Army Ranger, then he has the balls to own his mistake.

This

@hornsfan65 is lying if he's saying his account was hacked, b/c the Verizon cell phone IP address used to post Sat & Sun is the same IP address used in the past by him. It's also the same IP address used to list his favorite posters on the board on Saturday, which no one that hacked his account would do. If he has the balls to (purportedly) become an Army Ranger, then he has the balls to own his mistake.
He told us he did not serve in the military.

I am utterly speechless. Not sure if I should feel angry, or what. Unbelievable.

That's what put me onto the idea it was a hoax, b/c my spidey sense went up yesterday morning, I checked his address and his "wife's" and they were the same (both Verizon cell phone IP addresses). I have since confirmed his cell phone provider is Verizon & almost all of his posts in the past have come from Verizon mobile IP addresses. Past posts using the same exact IP address have been used to relay incredibly personal details that a "hacker" wouldn't know.

Yup. This guy is going down. One main board him. Two with that IP a lot of information can be had including his real name. It's going to take a great deal of restraint to not make his life very difficult.

BOOM

Well, I've officially had the one of the most surreal 24 hours of my life. Given that this is completely uncharted territory, I'm going to try to explain this situation via a short timeline of events.

* After the events from Saturday night and Sunday morning concerning the safety of the Orangebloods poster @hornsfan65, the Orangebloods staff spent the better part of Sunday and today working will law enforcement officials to confirm what had allegedly occurred on the message board. There wasn't a phone number listed in the user's contact information and none of the other listed information was current/correct, so initial efforts to provide both aid and confirmation were unsuccessful.

* By the end of this morning, we had very, very strong reasons to believe that the story that @hornsfan65 had told on the site had been untrue. Anwar Richardson led the investigation for us all day today and eventually confirmed through Amarillo police that @hornsfan65 was alive. The police had spoken with @hornsfan65 and that he confirmed that he was safe and claimed his account had been hacked over the weekend. While on a three-way call with Anwar and the police officer, we requested that the officer contact @hornsfan65 and ask if we could contact him.

* Less than an hour ago, Anwar and I spoke with @hornsfan65 over the phone. According to him, he has not used his Orangebloods account in quite a while and he can't explain how this situation occurred or who might have made the posts under his account if it wasn't him. Honestly, we asked a number of questions that he just didn't have answers for and it means that as of this very second, I can't fully explain situation this with complete detail, even if I have strong suspicions about what happened.

The best possible news is that we didn't lose an Orangebloods member this weekend in horrific fashion. I keep reminding myself that this is all that matters. I want to express to everyone that I made repeated attempts to check on his safety and state of mind, imploring with him to talk with us if he needed someone to talk to. However, he was quite insistent that he was in good health and of sound mind.

The bad news is that the a lot of people, including myself, were taken advantage of. All the members of this community wanted to do was be there for someone in a moment of need and that amazing amount of good faith was taken advantage of.

I don't know what else to say other than these three things:

1. Everyone who contributed to the fund that @echeese established in the last 24 hours will have their money refunded. I've told Chuck that I will work hand in hand in any capacity needed to make sure this is done in quick fashion.

2. There is still an active investigation about this on our end. I wouldn't normally write something before an investigation concludes, but this matter required urgent communication between myself and the board.

3. We will work to create a vetting process exists for any fund that is promoted on the site moving forward. We were all just trying to do the right thing, but in the future we're going to have to wait until situations are fully vetted before we support and allow for donations to take place.

A few people have told me that I don't have anything to be sorry about as it relates to all of this, but I don't believe that to be true. The buck stops with me and in retrospect, I would do things a little different today with the ability of a little hindsight.

My sincere apologies.

gk
No need to apologize, watching this site pull together after potential tragedy says a lot about the people on this board. You should be proud of the members here. Although a hoax, this is a very serious epidemic in our country and hopefully if anything it helped bring it to light. I guess I’m always trying to find the positive in every situation

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT