ADVERTISEMENT

Announcement: A heartfelt sendoff and a look ahead to the future

Originally posted by Kronic22:

Why do I get the feeling that Bohls or Haliburton are going to replace Chip?
alien.r191677.gif

Originally posted by Turd of Doom:
Ketch would go bankrupt if he hired Bohls. He would have to ban most of the subscriber base for riping that clown on the Reggie Bush vote over and over. The personal attacks would be spectacular.
Bohls' resume probably resembles that of Chip's (prior to joining Orangebloods). Chip is not a recruiting analyst, and that is not where his most impressive contributions lie; it's his connections regarding UT sports and college athletics are what probably will be most difficult to replace.

This post was edited on 4/24 7:14 AM by Moooooo

Miss one day on OB's and miss this!

Best of luck to Chip. He is what lead me to join OB and a frequent reader. I'm sure you'll do well in what's next.

Ketch has some big shoes to fill. IMHO, not sure why the attraction to the NFL experience. seems like the next big thing in college athletics is the cross-section of the NCAA, compensating athletes and the potential impact on the fundamental structure of college football. that's a writer with a background in not just football, but the NCAA, some amount of legal background, and perhaps even state politics. quite a combo...

but this thread should be more about Chip and the great work he's done. He may have had his missteps but he was right far more often than not. most of us, self-included, wish we made the right calls 80-90% of the time the way he did / does.

Hook 'em!

Originally posted by Horns9397:

Ketch has some big shoes to fill. IMHO, not sure why the attraction to the NFL experience. seems like the next big thing in college athletics is the cross-section of the NCAA, compensating athletes and the potential impact on the fundamental structure of college football. that's a writer with a background in not just football, but the NCAA, some amount of legal background, and perhaps even state politics. quite a combo...
a. I feel like the college media market is full of soft folks that don't really want to compete win.
b. This is a very competitive market and I want someone that has truly competed in truly competitive situations... and won.
c. Landing a world-class reporter is the most important thing that we do. I don't believe there are a lot of world-class options in the college game.
d. It's not the end all, be all, but I tend to think bigger than most in these situations.

Good luck to Chip and to you, Ketch, in the hire.

Whoever it is, if s/he is good, won't last long. Great reporters are few and far between, and they tend to be in high demand and move about frequently (unless they land a Sports Illustrated gig or something similar). As a Boston sports fan, I have long been a fan of Bob Ryan, Dan Shaughnessy, and the best of them all, Peter Gammons. Growing up listening to Curt Gowdy (Cowboy at the Mike) and reading these guys spoiled me. I wouldn't put Chip in their rarified air just yet, but he's on his way, IMO.

Hook 'em!!!

Wow, I've been busy and just saw this.

Massive loss. Chip's articles were the best thing about this site.

Ketch, as a suggestion - and I'm sure you're covering all your bases - you need to replace a great sports news reporter with a great sports news reporter. The recruiting guys here are great at what they do, but not everyone is here for recruiting. Chip covered everything that was not recruiting, and he did it brilliantly and always with a sense of humor. He will be very difficult to replace. People with sources like Chip had don't grow on threes.

Spare no expense in finding a replacement, or the light from this shining beacon in the industry will be significantly diminished, and subscriptions will suffer, IMO.

I have never been a multiple site guy, but I will have to check out Scout.com and see what Chip has cooking up over there. Glad to see that Chip will continue to do his radio show, which I listen to every morning.

Originally posted by Copperhead Road:

Ketch, as a suggestion - and I'm sure you're covering all your bases - you need to replace a great sports news reporter with a great sports news reporter. The recruiting guys here are great at what they do, but not everyone is here for recruiting. Chip covered everything that was not recruiting, and he did it brilliantly and always with a sense of humor. He will be very difficult to replace. People with sources like Chip had don't grow on threes.

Spare no expense in finding a replacement, or the light from this shining beacon in the industry will be significantly diminished, and subscriptions will suffer, IMO.

I have never been a multiple site guy, but I will have to check out Scout.com and see what Chip has cooking up over there. Glad to see that Chip will continue to do his radio show, which I listen to every morning.
A few random thoughts...

a. Chip did outstanding work for us. Day-in and day-out, I'll stick up for the other content on the site and say that our work stands up to any comparison. For instance, I'll take my 10 Thoughts From the Weekend and hold it up for comparison to any writer's work in the entire nation. It does roughly 2X the traffic of other columns on the site every week. I think McComas' Wednesday column can stand up to just about anyone's in the nation.

b. I will hire a great sports news reporter. You guys under estimate the attraction to this job. I have had two nationally known reporters from SI talk to me about the job in the last week. One is a guy I consider to be perhaps the best young reporter in the sports media industry. Neither will be the person that fills the role for a couple of different reasons, but both openly believe it is one of the elite positions in college sports media.

c. Orangebloods continues to have great sources. We were breaking major stories before Chip arrived and we will break them afterwards. The combination was great because it matched up the two biggest story breakers together.

d. I feel underestimated, as if I'm not one of the elite people in this business, myself. Suddenly, I am thirsty for milkshakes.

Let's go play ball.

This post was edited on 4/24 9:32 AM by Ketchum

Originally posted by Ketchum:
Originally posted by Copperhead Road:

A few random thoughts...

a. Chip did outstanding work for us. Day-in and day-out, I'll stick up for the other content on the site and say that our work stands up to any comparison. For instance, I'll take my 10 Thoughts From the Weekend and hold it up for comparison to any writer's work in the entire nation. It does roughly 2X the traffic of other columns on the site every week. I think McComas' Wednesday column can stand up to just about anyone's in the nation.

b. I will hire a great sports news reporter. You guys under estimate the attraction to this job. I have had two nationally known reporters from SI talk to me about the job in the last week. One is a guy I consider to be perhaps the best young reporter in the sports media industry. Neither will be the person that fills the role for a couple of different reasons, but both openly believe it is one of the elite positions in college sports media.

c. Orangebloods continues to have great sources. We were breaking major stories before Chip arrived and we will break them afterwards. The combination was great because it matched up the two biggest story breakers together.

d. I feel underestimated, as if I'm not one of the elite people in this business, myself. Suddenly, I am thirsty for milkshakes.

Let's go play ball.

This post was edited on 4/24 9:32 AM by Ketchum
Ketch, I looked you up on 247. As a journalist, they've got you as a 5.6 3 Star performer. They note you and Orangebloods have an imposing mainframe, but think you lack the explosiveness and have a tendency to take plays off. I really think 2014 will give you a chance to prove yourself and your stock can certainly rise during summer camps, but right now you are just not Sumlin good. No offense, but #Nosir
wink.r191677.gif

Good luck, Chip! You will be sorely missed. I can't believe it's been 6 years...seems just like yesterday Ketch broke the news.

Didn't read the thread, but I'm glad. Do not like his style, and strongly feel like he is a "maker" of news. Not a reporter. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm glad the move is being made. Although now FSFW will be borderline unwatchable for me so that stinks. Lol.

Didn't read the thread, but I'm glad. Do not like his style, and strongly feel like he is a "maker" of news. Not a reporter. I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I'm glad the move is being made. Although now FSFW will be borderline unwatchable for me so that stinks. Lol.

f7FdEdG.jpg

As a bit of a hopeless romantic, I've always subscribed to the Lord Alfred Tennyson idea that "'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all." It's an idea that I have embraced in all facets of my life because it embraces the thirst for truly living life rather than living in fear of it.

The reality is that few things in life forever remain the same and if you can't accept the uncontrollable events that can sometimes dictate our losing things that we hold dear to our hearts, fear can be an overwhelming controlling emotion. When it comes to interacting with the people in my life that I truly cherish, my goal is to be the kind of person that brings positive energy and support at all times, with nothing but their best interests at heart at all times.

I want to be a supporter of their dreams. I want to be the steady shoulder for them to lean on that helps remind them that inaction of pursuing dreams out of fear is actually the worst kind of action of all. Those inactions can haunt a man's dreams and lead to a life of what-ifs and emotions that torture the soul. If I can ever lend a helpful hand in making those pursued dreams come true, what kind of friend would I be if I failed to do so?

It's with that last thought in mind that I report with both personal sadness, yet genuine excitement for a very close friend that Chip Brown will be leaving Orangebloods.com at the end of this week and joining Fox Sports/Scout.com so that he can further pursue dreams in this business that haven't yet been realized.

The bottom line is that a unique opportunity presented itself for Chip, an opportunity that allows for him to tackle quests in this industry that are important to him and perhaps can't be conquered within his current role at OB. Perhaps the greatest compliment I'll ever receive as it relates to the brotherhood within the OB staff is that Chip spent so much time over the last month wondering whether this tremendous opportunity was worth moving away from a place he loves and has helped build.

As I told him on the night his departure became somewhat official last week, it was hard to feel disappointment with the situation because of what the deal could potentially mean for him down the road. Over the last six years, I've always felt like we've had a Dream Team of Orangebloods staff members and our partnership has helped grow Orangebloods into one of the nation's leaders in this industry. When Chip arrived at Orangebloods in 2008, we were already the No.1 site in the industry in terms of subscribers, but his presence has helped us grow into the type of brand that is known nationally.

I'll forever love Chip for the blood, sweat and loss of insanity that he gave up to help make us what we've become over the years. It's that love that makes this a very unique situation as far as goodbyes are concerned, but this ultimately came down to Chip living. Or l-i-v-i-n if you will. Hopefully, you'll help me in wishing him well in this new adventure and while he'll once again become a piece of the competition, he'll forever be Orangebloods family.

Also, it's incredibly important that you know my personal commitment is to replace quality with absolute quality as we look at add new Orangebloods piece to the puzzle with Chip's departure. Over the course of the last week and a half, I've had discussions with a number of the nation's top college and NFL reporters about our vacancy and the response I've already received has not only been exciting, but it confirms that Chip's work over the last six years has helped create one of the top positions in the industry. My expectations are that it will take another couple of weeks to complete the recruitment/interviewing process, but the goal is that we'll have an announcement by the middle of May at the latest and the hope is you guys will be excited about our new addition to the OB family.

That being said, today and the rest of this week needs to be about sending Chip away in style and with absolute honor. He means too much to us all to allow the moment to be anything else.

My friend, be well and live well. Nothing but love, my man.

gk
Good stuff, didn’t know his relay with you 🙃

ADVERTISEMENT