ADVERTISEMENT

Any good non-mainstream movie recs?

westx

Dec 6, 2009
It will be pretty boring for a while. I guess it is time to catch up on some movie watching. Does anybody have recommendations on movies? I watched Knives Out last week and it was really good-murder with comedy. I do want to watch some old classic movies, but, I also have to pick somewhat current movies to watch with my youngest son (14yo). Maybe I will start Walking Dead and binge watch since everybody likes that one.

My recs
-If you have never seen Office Space, that is a good 90s cult classic.

-Downfall: This is a very good movie about Hitler's last days in the bunker. It seemed to me to be very real as if were exactly how it happened.

-Jack Black in either "Shallow Hal" or "School of Rock" light and funny especially if you have young kids

Reactions: freeper
If ya got Amazon Prime try the Man in the High Castle mini series, me and the wifes been watching and just can;t let go..its about if we had lost WW2, the Nazis took over the East Coast and the Japs took over the California States and their is a Neutral Zone in between, kit will keep ya going!

My wife watch ed Lady and The Tramp on Prime with the Great Great Grand babies and they was glued to the TV

The Walking Dead is definitely a good series for the first 8 seasons, but lately has become to predictable.
I’ve been watching Two and a half men. Hilarious.
Charlie Sheen version much better.

Downfall: This is a very good movie about Hitler's last days in the bunker. It seemed to me to be very real as if were exactly how it happened.

"Downfall" is pretty faithful historically.

If you want some good viewing, "Vikings" is a great series. Long on great characters and historical flavor, short on historical accuracy. But hey, you're looking to entertain yourself.

I can always watch "Dazed and Confused" or "The Big Lebowski" again. Or just about any World War II movie....

Just got thru with some oldies, Strategic Air Command with James Stewart and the 442 in Go For Broke with Van Jonson, I am watching Run Silent, Run Deep! right now

Reactions: freeper
It will be pretty boring for a while. I guess it is time to catch up on some movie watching. Does anybody have recommendations on movies? I watched Knives Out last week and it was really good-murder with comedy. I do want to watch some old classic movies, but, I also have to pick somewhat current movies to watch with my youngest son (14yo). Maybe I will start Walking Dead and binge watch since everybody likes that one.

My recs
-If you have never seen Office Space, that is a good 90s cult classic.

-Downfall: This is a very good movie about Hitler's last days in the bunker. It seemed to me to be very real as if were exactly how it happened.

-Jack Black in either "Shallow Hal" or "School of Rock" light and funny especially if you have young kids

I thought Downfall and Office Space were great as well. At the end of Downfall there was a scene where Hitler goes on a rant. Well they've turned that scene into multiple videos such as Hitler reacts to a&m losing to Texas, or Texas beating out a&m on signing Malik Jefferson. All you gotta do is go to YouTube and type Hitler reacts to..... If you havent seen these you're missing out. Downfall was one of the best indie, foreign films I've ever seen.

I thought Jack Black best movie was Saving Silverman. And he had a scene in Anchorman that was hilarious. I loved Will Farrell in the other guys. I saw Dodgeball.

But what you guys need to get is Netflix. Great movies and especially good documentaries. I highly reccomend Medal of Honor.

I thought Downfall and Office Space were great as well. At the end of Downfall there was a scene where Hitler goes on a rant. Well they've turned that scene into multiple videos such as Hitler reacts to a&m losing to Texas, or Texas beating out a&m on signing Malik Jefferson. All you gotta do is go to YouTube and type Hitler reacts to..... If you havent seen these you're missing out. Downfall was one of the best indie, foreign films I've ever seen.

I thought Jack Black best movie was Saving Silverman. And he had a scene in Anchorman that was hilarious. I loved Will Farrell in the other guys. I saw Dodgeball.

But what you guys need to get is Netflix. Great movies and especially good documentaries. I highly reccomend Medal of Honor.
Jack black's best movie was tropic thunder. Hands down. Not even close. Probably Robert Downey Jr's best roll as well.

Reactions: StrangerHorn
I got Fire stick, I got Infinity app to where I get 2000 channels and 80 , and all the Pro channels for 30 a month Premium channels included..F Sprectrum and Sat TV

Just had a Duke Marathon with Rio Bravo, McClintock, and Red River. I think tomorrow I'm going to do it again with the Military collection, Green Berets, Fighting SeeBeas and the Flying Tigers.

Just got thru with some oldies, Strategic Air Command with James Stewart and the 442 in Go For Broke with Van Jonson, I am watching Run Silent, Run Deep! right now
Love every one of those movies Stranger. I just watched Run Silent Run Deep the other day for the first time in years. You notice how they actually did very little running deep?

After watching it again I felt very bakatare!! for never noticing that before...

Just had a Duke Marathon with Rio Bravo, McClintock, and Red River. I think tomorrow I'm going to do it again with the Military collection, Green Berets, Fighting SeeBeas and the Flying Tigers.
Great list, but how do you leave out The Searchers. Easily the greatest western ever made....

Jack black's best movie was tropic thunder. Hands down. Not even close. Probably Robert Downey Jr's best roll as well.
Tropic Thunder was definitely good. The awkward Tom Cruise dance is golden. But, I have to disagree that it is Jack Black's best. I still love Nacho Libre.

Great list, but how do you leave out The Searchers. Easily the greatest western ever made....

Some people in this forum know this, but that movie was taken from the account of my family. I am related to the people portrayed in that movie. The real story was pretty ugly.
My 4th great grandfather Luther Plummer was married to Rachael Parker Plummer. The Fort Parker Massacre was the basis for the movie and the search John Parker and Luther Plummer were doing for those taken as slaves. Rachael Plummer was both pregnant and had an 18 month old son, both were murdered by the Comanches. She was a slave for 5 years. When she was finally retrieved she lived with her family for about a year before she died. She told her story and that account was where the Searchers came from.

HwfAzNS.jpg

Reactions: Belldozer1
Some people in this forum know this, but that movie was taken from the account of my family. I am related to the people portrayed in that movie. The real story was pretty ugly.
My 4th great grandfather Luther Plummer was married to Rachael Parker Plummer. The Fort Parker Massacre was the basis for the movie and the search John Parker and Luther Plummer were doing for those taken as slaves. Rachael Plummer was both pregnant and had an 18 month old son, both were murdered by the Comanches. She was a slave for 5 years. When she was finally retrieved she lived with her family for about a year before she died. She told her story and that account was where the Searchers came from.
No sh!t?

I did not know that....thanks for sharing SoW.... you have some amazing history in your family. This is one of the reasons I love this forum. Although I might not post a lot, I am always learning things from the OB family....

John Parker was one of the Original 300, Luther Plummer was a tag along with the Parkers when he married Rachael Parker. I have a letter written by Luther Plummer to Stephan F Austin requesting a land grant when he arrived with the Parkers.

Fort Parker Massacre was a sad situation. One of Rachael Parker's cousins Cynthia Parker was also captured and she was raised by Comanches and married the Chief, her son Quanah Parker became the greatest Comanche leader. He actually lived for a time with the Parkers as he learned white culture. From that experience he became a very good business man.

The Emperor’s Club with Kevin Kline and Emile Hirsch was A Dead Poet Society setting with a moral twist

So I'm a little down decided to pick myself up with a Mel Brooks night. Young Frankenstein, History of the World Part 1, and Blazin Saddles.

If that doesn't pick me up the only thing left is Clob's gummy bears.

uh.....I wouldn't accecpt anything gummy from Clob….

ADVERTISEMENT