ADVERTISEMENT

Auction Cars

zrile9

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2004
does anyone deal with them? if so, i am looking to find a good deal on a dodge ram.

Reactions: TSKHorn
Don't know how it is now, but I use to work at the auto auction in Nacogdoches back in the mid 80s. People would find a dealer and tell'em there was a truck/car they were interested in, offer the dealer a couple hundred bucks to buy it for them...

All I can say is be careful. You probably already know this but the auction is a place to buy someone's lease turnback or a car pieced together. If you have knowledge on what to look for in terms of the real condition of the vehicle then it could be good. Don't be lulled into a sense of security regarding the condition of the vehicle based on the disclosure at the auction. They have minimal guidelines. Sometimes it is in your favor but in most cases only the basic damage is disclosed.

Just one example, my neighbor knew a guy at an Austin area Ford dealer. He was working a deal and was told they had found him a truck at auction. Supposedly it had run through the green line (good condition). He came over one night about 9pm to ask me to inspect it. With 2 flashlights and about 40 minutes I found about at least $5,000 of damage (structural, not just body panels) that had been repaired.

You can go to the Auction a couple of days prior to the sale, and people use to be able to test drive...but I bet they yell ICE COLD on every vehicle. You will also have to buy a new set of tires and expect an empty gas tank.

Reactions: Mmlonghorn
ADVERTISEMENT