ADVERTISEMENT

Austin FC: Do you care?

Correct. That's my point. Soccer is like red hair or meatloaf; you either like it or you don't. I don't enjoy it. OP asked a question; I gave an answer. What I truly do not understand is why you aficionados feel so compelled to make converts out of the rest of us.

It's not about converting anyone. It's the Jim Rome "soccer is stupid" because it's "not American" and "it's hard to score" and "I just don't get it" take that so many people run with.

Now you be different but most people who actually go to a game come away with a different opinion than "I hate it even more now." It's almost like it's vindictive. Again you might be the exception to that but if you really played soccer and hated more afterwards then you're definitely in the minority. That's fine. Each sport is different. I enjoy almost all of them for what they are.

Also interesting you use the term aficionados like it's cigar smoking or scotch drinking. Man those baseball aficionados.... so heady....

Great saves by Stuver otherwise San Jose could have won this game by 3 or 4. Finishing remains a problem for this Austin team.

Yes, great saves by Stuver. Austin had their chances as well, but could not close the deal. At least they seemed more offensive last night versus always seeming to be defensive in the past few games.

No it won't. One of God's greatest anatomical gifts to man is the hand. You know, that whole thumb thing and all. To create a so-called sport that all but eliminates that, is just moronic to me. People said Oh you'll change when your kids play. I changed, I hated it even more.
You guys enjoy it, that's great, but save the sermonizing on what the rest of us are missing.

Cool man! Thanks for stopping by.

It's not about converting anyone. It's the Jim Rome "soccer is stupid" because it's "not American" and "it's hard to score" and "I just don't get it" take that so many people run with.

Now you be different but most people who actually go to a game come away with a different opinion than "I hate it even more now." It's almost like it's vindictive. Again you might be the exception to that but if you really played soccer and hated more afterwards then you're definitely in the minority. That's fine. Each sport is different. I enjoy almost all of them for what they are.

Add, "if our best athletes played, we'd dominate" to the list of dumbass takes.

Also, "communist" sport is another dreadful take. The only other sport that is as free flowing, expressive, creative and continuous is hockey. Basketball is close, until you get to the last 3 minutes of a game and then coaches call a hundred timeouts.

Can't think of anything more "communist" than the game of football. Coaches control 99% of what goes on, lol.

I started our my undergrad life at a small NAIA school. Became friends with the soccer coach. He had a passion for it that was infectious. There were few actual matches against other schools, but the team was dedicated, and practiced regularly. He invited me to come out, practice, see if I liked it. I'm not much of an athlete generally, but he thought my skills were well-suited to soccer. I gave it my best shot, in part because it was a learning experience, and in part because I did not want to let him down. Problem was I never enjoyed it. Never. Trust me, I gave it a fair shake; it just was not my cup of tea. If that puts me in some sort of minority, compared to the experiences of others, so be it.

You aren't stupid if you like it; neither are you stupid if you don't.

Reactions: LonghornMM
I started our my undergrad life at a small NAIA school. Became friends with the soccer coach. He had a passion for it that was infectious. There were few actual matches against other schools, but the team was dedicated, and practiced regularly. He invited me to come out, practice, see if I liked it. I'm not much of an athlete generally, but he thought my skills were well-suited to soccer. I gave it my best shot, in part because it was a learning experience, and in part because I did not want to let him down. Problem was I never enjoyed it. Never. Trust me, I gave it a fair shake; it just was not my cup of tea. If that puts me in some sort of minority, compared to the experiences of others, so be it.

You aren't stupid if you like it; neither are you stupid if you don't.

That's a legitimate take and yes I'd say you're in the minority based on what most people say. Cheers.

Reactions: NativeTex
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT