ADVERTISEMENT

Availability of tickets to a football game

l.todd

Dec 21, 2004
I live in Maryland and have a group of 8 guys visiting Austin in Sept. for golf/distillery tours/barbecue and possibly a Longhorn football game. One of the guys asked me how difficult it is to get tix. I told him I would check. We haven't set a date yet, but looking at Sept., there are 3 possibles: 9/12 Rice, 9/19 Cal and 9/26 Ok. St. I am guessing the Ok. St. game would be the toughest. Any thoughts on availability and what I can expect to pay? also, any thoughts on whether any of the 3 might be a night game? TIA.

Tickets are always going to be available for a 100,000K seat stadium on the secondary market. Stub Hub is a good place to start. The tickets vary a great deal in price depending on where you want to sit. Either way for 8 tickets together (or even 4 and 4) its going to be pricy. The face value of regular tickets (not student tickets, not season tickets) the last time I checked was $85 and it goes up from there.

I've lived out of state since 1998. I travel back to ATX for a minimum of 2 and as many as 5 games per season. I try to hit all the big games in ATX. I've never had a problem getting seats.

If you want to sit next to one another guaranteed then you have to go through a broker and you will pay.

If you don't mind splitting up into two or more groups then there will be a ton of opportunity to buy at a tailgate or from a scalper outside the stadium at a greatly reduced price....greatly. I don't remember the last time I paid face value for a ticket to DKRTMS for a game. I have friends that tailgate and almost always someone shows up at the tailgate trying to offload some and usually several people do. Sometimes they will give them away to a person in burnt orange.

Make plans to come to a tailgate or Sholz a few hours in advance and you'll easily find tix.

Originally posted by horn01:
Tickets are always going to be available for a 100,000K seat stadium on the secondary market. Stub Hub is a good place to start. The tickets vary a great deal in price depending on where you want to sit. Either way for 8 tickets together (or even 4 and 4) its going to be pricy. The face value of regular tickets (not student tickets, not season tickets) the last time I checked was $85 and it goes up from there.

I had great seats for the WVU game in the endzone section and the tix were $50 a pop.... still pricey but not too bad, and I had a great view.

To be clear, tickets can be obtained on the secondary market for cheaper than face value. However, if you are going with a group that wants to sit together, it might be difficult to get them at a discount

Originally posted by horn01:
To be clear, tickets can be obtained on the secondary market for cheaper than face value. However, if you are going with a group that wants to sit together, it might be difficult to get them at a discount
Absolutely.

Shoot for the Ok St game if you plan on golfing too unless you like golfing in high 90s.

ADVERTISEMENT