ADVERTISEMENT

Bad stuff brewing with Maryland's football program

westx

Dec 6, 2009
I wasn't aware of all of this, but, Maryland's program is in shambles. Complaints about coach abuse including the head coach Durkin and his strength and conditioning coach. They even had a player die in May after a team workout ( I also didn't know they were allowed team workouts in May?). I guess this will take over the narrative of the game when we match up in 3 weeks.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/24342005/undefined

If you watch their practice today on the Big Ten Channel they look like a soft team.

Not saying that the strength coach and Durkin are right in their tactics but that school needed a culture change.
Definitely needs one now.

Truthfully I think they have quit already
The article mentions current players so that means people on the inside are trying to get their coach fire.

Wow. Where has this story been? You'd think a player dying would've been big news.

That is kind of what it sounds like to me too.

They have a lot of talent and are sitting on a lot of talent in their area.
I was surprise last year that they could match up athletically with UT.
The guy who created Under Armour has given them a lot of money and facilitated their move to the B1G.

I think the right coach could build a national power there.

I am still expecting a decent game with Texas winning

Last edited:
Plus the fact that Maryland returning the same guys on offense plus the good ones that was injured last year and could not play which were better than the ones that did, but, they are lacking on defense and need work but, we are Texas and the D gonna be ready even if they are spotty, and that Heart thing sometimes make people be better than they really are and that's the thing that motivates, to go thinking we gonna walk in like a thief in the night, night be disastrous for us, we just need to go play our game and kick there asses plain and simple, cause everyone gets ready for Texas, we learned that on the Kansas game,,LOL

The deal about Maryland comes from my cousin in Tacoma Park , who is a big fan of Maryland Terps

Hook'em

Wow. Where has this story been? You'd think a player dying would've been big news.
Well, the kid allegedly had an undiagnosed heart issue. Think about who Maryland's biggest donor is..... AND consider that all the players are screened by the Maryland school of medicine--- and this is one of the oldest (4th oldest medical school in America, I believe) and most prestigious medical schools in the country. Guess what they are known for??

Cardiac medicine.

So ya..... a football player died of a heart condition that went undiagnosed by one of the most elite cardiac institutes in America...... (not a good look).

Well, the kid allegedly had an undiagnosed heart issue. Think about who Maryland's biggest donor is..... AND consider that all the players are screened by the Maryland school of medicine--- and this is one of the oldest (4th oldest medical school in America, I believe) and most prestigious medical schools in the country. Guess what they are known for??

Cardiac medicine.

So ya..... a football player died of a heart condition that went undiagnosed by one of the most elite cardiac institutes in America...... (not a good look).
I can't understand why it took almost an hour to call 911. Not all seizures require emergency room attention, but, damn, somebody that doesn't have a history of seizures and post physical exhaustion? That is a no brainer. I feel for the parents because it could have probably been avoided. The article did state that they are lawyered up and the internal investigation will be disclosed on Sept 15.

Yeah it seems to me, if all this we're hearing is true, there could be criminal charges brought against some coaches.

"Drag his ass across the field", and then let an hour go by without even thinking, "damn, this could actuallly be serious". Smh. Like clob said, not a good look at all.

Reactions: FlourBluffHorn
And his death may give the old win one for Gipper syndrome and they dedicate Their 1st game or season to him, which would put a little more steam in them. Lotta factors going on right now for them to win

Hook'em

Maryland is a trap game. They won last year so why shouldn't they win again? We have a lot of new parts and if they can get up early, they can win. We could be 2-2 after the first 4 games. I still think we win 8 even at 2-2 after 4.

The bulk of the coaching staff has been put on administrative leave.

I read that the player had a temperature of 106 F. This could be malignant hyperthermia, a rare genetic defect. No cheap screening test, very unpredictable.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I read that the player had a temperature of 106 F. This could be malignant hyperthermia, a rare genetic defect. No cheap screening test, very unpredictable.
As a ward of the program, players should be thoroughly screened.

I can tell you through experience, Texas did such a detailed examination of me that they knew my SLEEP patterns. Ya, you heard me..... I had to go to a sleep study as a freshman. They hooked all these wires up to my head (looked like a cyborg) and I was told to go to sleep.

Yes, it costs money..... but Maryland, as a state funded institution and home to a brilliant medical school, has the means and facilities to run these screenings. No excuse why they didn't.

I agree, Maryland's staff may be fvcked.

ADVERTISEMENT