ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball recruiting

I understand that for sure 1 and maybe THREE 5* guys are visiting this weekend, one for the second time.Shaka seems to be doing all the right things so far. He apparantly hit a home run at the HS coaches conference by bringing his entire staff and really trying to build relationships with the HS coaches. I will put the link to that story, but I cant remember where I saw it.....we might be about to get REAL happy around here.

Reactions: HornosaurusRex

This might be someone we are interested in. Looks like Memphis is denying the transfer request though, might get messy.

Some basketball updates.

1-Looks like we have a great chance to land Javin Delaurier (#40 player in the country). Quite a few crystal balls in our favor this week from some big names like Jerry Meyer.

2-Really positive updates on Jarrett Allen (#19 player in the country). Looks like it will take a lot of work to get him out of Austin.

3-We offered Wenyen Gabriel. Love this guy's film, I've been high on him for a good bit. Glad he showed up at the Adidas camp to get on our radar.

Jacob Young is playing really well at this Adidas tournament.

He just dropped 44 points.

a 6'11'' guy that can dribble will always get all the offers he can handle.

De'Ron Davis has Texas, Arizona and Indiana as his top 3.

PF and #41 composite player in the country.

In other news, this '16 recruiting class might be the best class of all time in basketball. So much talent. Unreal really.

Reactions: RoboCocks21
Texas got an absolute steal in Jacob Young.

He dropped 34 today in the first half of an AAU game. Hit 6 3s in the first 5 minutes of the game.

Jarrett Allen visited this weekend. Considered a big Longhorn lean. That would be a huge get for Shaka.

Per 247:
Texas has reeled in a big one.

James Banks, a 6-foot-10, 230-pound center from La Porte, Indiana committed to the Texas Longhorns on Thursday morning to become the second commitment in Texas’ 2016 class along with point guard Jacob Young.

Banks, a rangy big who can play inside and out, committed to Texas in large part because of first-year head coach Shaka Smart. The two had built a strong relationship over the recruiting process, and Banks felt like Texas was the place for him to be.

“Coach Smart and his staff were genuine throughout the recruiting process about wanting to coach me, mentor me and make me better,” Banks said. “He mentioned that they cared about me, and that was a big thing along with great academics and basketball, and it’s a great opportunity at every aspect.”

There is plenty of talent for Texas' coaches to mold with Banks. The big man has only been playing hoops for a few seasons, and he felt Texas was a place where he could really improve as a prospect.

"I felt like it was a place I’d be able to be myself as a kid," Banks said. "I got to know the players, and I saw it as a place I could develop.”

Banks, a four-star center, is rated as the No. 56 player nationally and the No. 5 center in the 2016 class, according to the 247Sports Composite. He picked Texas over offers from Vanderbilt, Auburn and Georgetown among others.

With a new staff on board, Banks said he feels good about the direction of Texas' program over the next few years. In fact, if the Longhorns end up reeling in good recruiting classes in the 2016 and 2017 cycles, he wants nothing less than titles.

“I expect nothing less than the best," Banks said. "They’ll have a great recruiting class this year and the next year. We’ll win a championship.”

Texas landing a commitment from four-star La Lumiere School (La Porte, Indiana via Atlanta) center James Banks is obviously big news for Texas. The Longhorns, who will have at least six scholarships to use for the 2016 class, if they choose to use all of them, needed to land a commitment, and needed to get a big man in the mix. Banks is just what the doctor ordered.

Like we mentioned on the board today, the commitment of Banks has nothing to do with top target and five-star St. Stephens (Austin) big man Jarrett Allen. Banks is a five. Texas is recruiting Allen as a four.

In fact, from what we’ve heard Allen is the target at the four. Basically, no one else. Texas made a push for four-star Overland, Colorado power forward De'Ron Davis in July, and made Davis’ top three… which then turned into a top six. Barring an unexpected change, you can cross Davis off the list of Texas targets.

It’s unclear when Allen will eventually decide, but he’s just now beginning the official visit process (Notre Dame this weekend) in October, and the first signing period is a month away. So, it would make sense for him to probably be a player that doesn’t sign during the first period. That’s not bad news for Texas, who, until this upcoming visit, was the only school to get him on campus for a visit so far.

Speaking of waiting, Andrew Jones appears headed towards a spring signature as well. We reached out to both Andrew and his father recently with no luck, but the discussions behind the scenes alludes to an eventual shortened list. Right now, the list includes Arizona, Louisville, Texas, Baylor, SMU, Texas A&M and Oklahoma State. The teams that are associated the most with Jones currently are Texas, Arizona, Louisville and SMU to a lesser extent.

The commitment of Banks gives Texas some flexibility - because a good prospect is locked up at a vital position - and momentum. But you’re probably going to have to wait until the spring to see some significant action in regards to the class really filling up. And that’s not a bad thing. (McComas)

Checked in with Texas’ other 2016 commitment, Yates (Houston) combo guard Jacob Young, who informed me that he’s scheduled his official visit to Texas for the weekend of October 24th. In his second preseason game of his career, Young’s older brother Joseph scored 18 points for the Pacers. (McComas)

The Longhorns are now a week into official workouts before the upcoming hoops season. Had brief conversations with a couple of people who both mentioned the word “progress”; that’s what Texas wants to see right now in these early practices, and it is seeing that. (McComas)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT