ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball recruiting

On Wednesday, Texas coaches were in Las Vegas at the Tarkanian Classic watching 2017 prospects like Jarred Vanderbilt, Charles O’Bannon, Jr., Troy Brown, Billy Preston, and P.J. Washington. Washington, a 6-7 wing/forward from Findlay Prep (Henderson, Nevada; originally from Texas) was one of Texas’ first 2017 offers and is its top priority at the position. We checked in with Washington’s father, Paul, to see how he’s progressing, what they thought of Texas’ play this season, and recruiting.

“He went 2-for-3 from three last night,” said Mr. Washington. “Trying to get more versatile. Every college that’s recruiting P.J. says he’s a three. He can do both. We’re doing a lot of skill-development; mid-range and deep shooting.”

Washington said he caught Texas’ game against North Carolina, and liked what he saw.

“They looked good. It’s going to take a minute,” he said. “I like what he’s (Shaka Smart) doing.”

As for recruiting, Washington listed off most of the same schools that he’s mentioned in the past as top teams that are coming after his son the most.

“We hear from Kentucky, Cal, Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA, Arizona and Michigan State. Those are probably the top,” he said. “We took a visit to Arizona [recently].”

Washington, rated as the No. 27 prospect overall, said that during the Arizona visit the Wildcats brought up the idea of P.J. reclassifying to the 2016 class. Doesn’t sound like that’s an option.

“Why would we do that? That’s what’s best for them not what’s best for P.J.”

As for any sort of timetable, it doesn’t sound like Washington, who visited Texas during the summer, will take the amount of time to decide that most prospects do.

“He’s taking his ACT in February. We’ll start visits after that. He wants to make it sooner rather than later,” stated Washington.

From what we’ve heard, the three schools standing out the most right now for Washington, this comes from someone else and not his father, are Arizona, Kentucky, and Texas. Kentucky hasn’t offered yet. (McComas)

While Washington is a top priority for Texas at one spot, Oak Hill Academy (Mouth of Wilson, Virginia) point guard Matt Coleman is clearly a top target for the Longhorns at the point guard spot. Coleman, who is rated as the No. 29 player overall in the 2017 Rivals150.

Coleman said he caught the end of Texas’ win over North Carolina, and thought it was a statement made by Smart, who has been recruiting and known the Virginia native for years.

“That’s big! Caught the eyes of a lot of people,” texted Coleman. “Shows what he’s capable of.”

Coleman listed off the following schools as ones consistently reaching out and recruiting him hard: Arizona, Texas, Ohio State, Virginia, NC State, Alabama, Louisville, Florida and Arizona State.

The 6-2 point guard visited Texas during the summer. (McComas)

Rivals.com analyst Eric Bossi was at the Tarkanian Classic, and caught up briefly with Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas, Nevada) guard Charles O’Bannon, Jr. The nation’s No. 44 prospect overall is planning on taking an unofficial visit to Texas in January. (McComas)

On Monday, Hutchinson Community College (Hutchinson, Kansas) sophomore wing Bashir Ahmed arrived for his official visit at Texas, and returned back home after Tuesday night’s game. We checked in with Hutchinson C.C. head coach Steve Eck, who was unable to offer any info (hadn’t talked to Ahmed; didn’t know anything about a possible timetable for a decision; told us he’d have to ask Ahmed in order for his number to be given out).

However, a source indicated that Texas is definitely in this one after the official visit, and that the reported target date for a decision, end of December, is a possibility for the Bronx, New York native. If the Longhorns really turn up the heat and push hard the rest of the way, they will be a legit factor, although most believe that hometown St. John’s is in the driver’s seat. (McComas)

HOOPS

By: Tim Preston

Texas gaining the commitment of five star combo guard Andrew Jones was a big coup this week, but it doesn’t signal a break for the staff.

Coach Smart and his program welcomed the top JUCO recruit in the country on Monday when Bashir Ahmed (a 6’7” wing from Hutchinson Community College) visited (more on that visit later) then, later in the week, had a chance to go see 2017 prospects PJ Washington, Charles O’Bannon Jr and Jarred Vanderbilt (among others) in Las Vegas at the Tarkanian Classic.

While it’s likely the 2016 class for Coach Smart will include five or six, 2017 is likely to be a smaller group (three, possibly four) meaning the staff will be a little more selective and is shooting for high level prospects. Vanderbilt (small forward), Washington (combo forward), O’Bannon (shooting guard) and guys like Trae Young and Matt Coleman (both point guards) all make up positions of need for the Longhorns (especially if Texas is able to add one or two more bigs in this class).

Landing a player like Jones earlier this week provides instant credibility for the staff as they can hold their heads up high and hang their hat on that early recruiting win against teams like Arizona and Louisville.

So, having Jones jump on board is huge because he’s awesome, but also because it’s important for the staff to be able to point to recruiting success when they are working with other recruits.

Which leads us back to Ahmed. The Bronx native is considered by many to be favoring St. John’s because of the local connection, but Cincinnati is also in the mix, as is Texas.

A source close to the program spoke with Inside Texas this week about the visit.

“It wasn’t the same experience as (Andrew Jones) got over the weekend when he watched us beat (North Carolina),” the source said. “But it was still a good experience for him. Sometimes you wonder about bringing in recruits at the same time so that they can bond but I think having Bashir come by himself was the right move.”

As a JUCO player, he’s not necessarily looking for the same things as a high school senior would.

“He seemed very mature and thoughtful when I was around him,” the source said. “He had questions about the dorms and academic support. He seemed to be feeling out the university as a life-move not just basketball. And I think the staff did a great job with him.”

Will that be enough to get him to come to Texas?

“He had a great time,” the source said. “I can tell you that. Will that be enough to turn away a place closer to him when he’s already been in rural Kansas the last two years? I can’t tell you that.”

Regardless, the visit going well is another in a line of positive signs for the Longhorns (as is Coach Smart throwing his hat in the ring with top JUCO players in the first place).

The Longhorns travel to Stanford to play the Cardinal late Saturday night (10:30 tipoff). It’ll be a late evening, but Coach Smart was putting in work all week long.

The team needs some big man help because next year will be bad with losing Cam, Ibeh and Conner. I like the 3 new kids but add O'Bannon, Vanderbilt and Washington. That would be a top 5 class of 6 players. I would be very please.

When Texas toppled Vanderbilt with relative ease last Saturday, a key recruit for the Longhorn was in attendance – 2017 Bishop Gorman (Las Vegas, Nevada) shooting guard Charles “Chuck” O’Bannon Jr. We haven’t been able to connect with O’Bannon yet (he has a game tonight before traveling to California for a game this weekend), but we did catch up briefly with Las Vegas Prospects Director Anthony Brown.

“He enjoyed the game and the style of play and the energy and everything was good,” said Brown about O’Bannon at the Texas game.

When asked what it was like for O’Bannon talking to and being around Shaka Smart in his element down in Austin and what O’Bannon had to say about those meetings with Smart, Brown responded “can anyone say a bad thing about Shaka right now?” with a laugh before adding that what he heard was “super positive.”

Brown added that Texas made it well-known how much it wants O’Bannon, who is currently rated as the No. 44 prospect overall in the 2017 Rivals150, but should probably make a noticeable rise in the updated rankings.

As for the style, O’Bannon, a 6-6 scoring machine, left thinking it was a fit.

“It fits his style – get up-and-down and play fast-paced,” said Brown.

Right now, O’Bannon is focusing on trying to win a state title. He’s averaging 20.8 points per game. (McComas)

Anybody have the text of 247's story on Jarrett Allen from a couple of days ago? It opens, "Texas is really starting to make an impression on Jarrett Allen."

Sure would like to read that. Nothing on the shag that I could find.

Jarrett Allen
orange_house.jpg

I hope he plays with more intensity than he did in the high school game I saw. Of course, he didn't have to play too hard to dominate.

Six new crystal balls predicting Allen to Texas over the last two days, including one from a Jayhawks 247 writer.

One new crystal ball predicting former Cal commitment and 6'4" SG Tyson Jolly of OKC to Texas to add to the other two predictions for Texas from a little over a week ago.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Scholz, I'm reposting the recruiting info you posted on another thread just to help keep this thread alive and to have all the info in one place:

For a while, there’s been a lot of chatter that St. Stephen’s (Austin) five-star big man Jarrett Allen would be announcing his commitment at the McDonald’s All-American Game. From what we heard this week, that’s not likely to happen anymore. Of course, those involved in the television part of the game will try to encourage those uncommitted players to make a decision, so it’s not completely out of the realm of possibility. Plus, predicting what Allen is going to do isn’t exactly easy. But as of today, it would be a surprise if he announced March 30th in Chicago.

Is that bad news for Texas? We don’t believe so, and haven’t heard that. Houston and Texas are still the teams we hear most in Allen’s recruitment. However, when this recruitment leads to a decision remains to be seen. (McComas)

Nothing really new to report regarding Texas assistant coach David Cason and the open UTSA head coaching position. According to a source, Cason was one of a few coaches that UTSA reached out to and communicated with late last week. But there hasn’t been much movement since then. (McComas)

With tons of players now making their intentions known that they want to transfer, and receiving releases, the Longhorns are evaluating options among the released transfer list, along with JUCO prospects and high school players. That’s not surprising because Texas has so many scholarships and playing time available, but this is the time of year where the transfer action starts to really happen.

News today out of N.C. State included the announced transfers of Cody and Caleb Martin. The twin brothers are sophomores and 6-7 wings that attended Oak Hill Academy in Virginia, and there was some chatter they’d have interest in Texas since VCU has been listed as a school that recruited the twins out of high school, and because they attended high school in Virginia. From what we’ve heard, don’t expect the Longhorns to get involved there.

Texas isn’t going to be in a rush to try to add a player until it does its homework and knows for certain that player fits, but you can bet it’s doing a ton of homework right now. (McComas)

Rivals.com’s Eric Bossi reported earlier this week that Elev8 Sports (Delray Beach, Florida by way of Putnam, Oklahoma) four-star shooting guard Tyson Jolly received his full release from Cal. Cal fired the assistant coach that recruited the 6-4 guard, and that played a big role in Jolly asking out of his release.

Will Texas pursue Jolly? We’ll see. The Longhorns already have commitments/signatures from two guards and have a lot on campus as well. However, Jolly does have some size and is regarded as someone that could defend well, which is something Texas could use more of.

“He is a tough guard who can attack the basket, keep defenders honest with his jump shooting and he is a very good athlete,” Bossi wrote about Jolly earlier this week in a column.

Texas will evaluate Jolly, and then either really turn up the heat or not. If the Longhorns do decide to heavily pursue the four-star guard, they’d definitely be one of the teams to beat. (McComas)

Reactions: Scholz
Now that a trip to the Windy City is in the rearview mirror, here’s a quick summary of what went down if you missed all of our reports this week from Chicago at the McDonald’s All-American events:

1) Look for Jarrett Allen to really start focusing on recruiting after he participates in the Nike Hoop Summit. The Hoop Summit, April 9th, is a pretty big deal and is basically a collection of the best USA players versus a roster of the best international players.

Once that’s done, Allen will start to really focus on recruiting. That being said, don’t think he hasn’t really focused on it some already. Although he’s a guy that really doesn’t like to discuss recruiting a ton publicly and spend time on it in that manner, after talking with him for about 15 minutes one-on-one I can assure you he’s thought about schools in heavy detail. He struck me as a deep thinker that’s really taken some time to examine things in a basketball and personality sense.

What’s going to matter to him the most? Relationship with a head coach and big man usage; specifically, he wants to play somewhere that offers that “home” feel and a head coach that will have a close relationship with him in college instead of just an assistant coach.

2) As for the kind of talent Allen is, he’s elite. But he’s not one-and-done elite. That’s not a knock, and there aren’t many of those prospects at all in a given cycle. Allen’s game and body right now suggest that he’s a multi-year college player, but he’s someone that as a junior could be All-American good. He’s smart; knows how to get to the right places on the floor on offense and defense; is very active with a good motor and uses his length and high-quality instincts; has legit skill and some intriguing mid-range touch; can really run the floor; and he’s a total team player.

Although I don’t think their games are the same, he’s someone I could see making a Brice Johnson-esque rise – flashes of brilliance and overall solid play as a freshman (but with way more minutes depending on where he goes), all-conference good as a sophomore, All-American good as a junior.

The chatter in Chicago regarding Allen’s recruitment was the same that we’ve mentioned before: Texas and Houston with other schools like Notre Dame and Kansas on the outside looking in, and the parents could be considered a burnt orange shade when it comes to its view.

3) Andrew Jones played just seven minutes – chalk that one up to an irresponsible coaching staff – in the McDonald’s All-American, but had two good practices and a solid scrimmage. The 6-4 Texas commitment was a willing, active defender that used his length to create issues, was dynamite in the pick-and-roll, and attacked with confidence. Basically, he belonged.

A couple things Jones mentioned aren’t that big of a surprise: He was recruiting Allen in Chicago, and he thinks Texas will play faster next season with the phase “showtime” being thrown out.

4) Reporters aren’t the only people at the McDonald’s All-American practices and game. NBA scouts and front office members were there in full force as well. After bumping in to a couple – keep in mind this is a small sample size – it sounded like junior point guard Isaiah Taylor is a fringe second-round pick, at least according to a couple of teams. The saying goes that it only takes one team to fall in love, so there’s no doubt he could be viewed differently by a couple teams. However, the people I talked to found Taylor intriguing, but not a strong enough prospect that would be drafted. Again, that’s just a couple views.

5) A lot of people had some positive things to say about Shaka Smart.

OB War Room:

This weekend, the Longhorns have a chance to make a huge impression on a potential big piece to the future hoops puzzle.

Tulane big man Dylan Osetkowski is visiting Texas this weekend. We actually caught him in the New Orleans airport today before he flew out to Austin. Originally from Junipero Serra High School in California, the 6-8 sophomore, who still has a redshirt year to use as a transfer, was one of the best frontcourt players in the AAC last season. A skilled player that can excel both inside and outside, Osetkowski is looking to find out more about how Texas is planning on using him. But that conversation already started.

“I really just want to get a better a feel for how they’re going to use me,” Osetkowski said. “Coach Smart came down and met with me along with coach (Darrin) Horn. I had a good to talk with them.”

Having covered Smart for a year now, it’s clear the Texas head coach is organized. During a press conference late in the season, an alarm went off on his phone to let him know to call a recruit. That’s just an example of the things Smart will do to stay on top of his game. So, it wasn’t a surprise to hear Osetkowski, who has been granted a full release by Tulane, mention that the Texas coaches arrived with their research on him.

“Definitely very impressed,” he said about Smart. “He had come with a whole folder with stuff about me – notes on conversations between us, between coaches at Tulane, coaches in the AAC, definitely did his research. Not just stuff about basketball. About my parents and stuff too.”

Speaking of Osetkowski’s parents, they’ll accompany him on the trip to Texas.

Back to how the 6-8 big man’s skill and ability would translate. Osetkowski’s rebounding rates in the AAC were terrific. He finished 18th in offensive rebounding rate and fifth in defensive rebounding rate. But he’s not just a rebounder. Osetkowski displays impressive skill as a passer, can put the ball on the floor, has some back-to-the-basket moves and could be a high-usage player in an offense.

“They talked about trying to work the ball through me – utilizing my skill set of passing, shooting, be able to go down low, put it on the floor. Being a key cog in their offense. Being an all-around threat,” he said.

The next question you’re probably asking is can he shoot the three? That ability is in there somewhere. Over his career, Osetkowski is a 31.6 percent shooter from beyond the arc on just 56 attempts. However, he shot 71.2 percent at the free throw line in conference play, and displays nice touch.

“Yeah, they definitely talked about that,” he said about Texas and him shooting the three. “Definitely was one of the key things wherever I go is making that a consistent thing – making that a consistent part of my game.”

As for the other schools recruiting Osetkowski, he has a visit planned next weekend to Arizona. He has three visits to use total, but hasn’t planned another one besides those two, and sources have indicated it’s a Texas-Arizona battle right now. Osetkowski didn’t seem to duck that either.

“Umm… not saying I don’t want to,” said Osetkowski about using that third visit. “But definitely hoping these two visits really [help me] see what the right school is and my fit.”

Osetkowski also listed Oklahoma, Maryland, Baylor, Marquette and “more schools” that have reached out. He also said he “hasn’t heard a negative yet” about Texas but that he wants to do some more of his own research as well like seeing the facilities, meeting players and the rest of the staff, and more. Oh, and Osetkowski, who attended one of the football powers in California, specially mentioned he’s really looking forward to seeing the Texas football stadium as well.

After talking to Osetkowski at length, I didn’t get the impression this recruitment was going to drag out.

“If these go well, if one of these schools are the right fit, go with them,” he said about a timetable. “I want to make sure I get this right. Soon as possible, but if it does drag out that’s okay. If Texas is the place, we’ll (he and his parents) be able to see.

Oh, and Osetkowski also said Smart brought up BBQ. (McComas)

As we mentioned earlier, Shaka Smart and Mike Morrell spent the day in Virginia at Oak Hill Academy seeing four-star 2017 point guard Matt Coleman. That doesn’t come as a surprise, but speaks to just how much Texas wants Coleman. There’s no doubt that Coleman, right now, is the point guard target for the Longhorns.

Another name to keep an eye on is 2017 wing Galen Alexander (Lafayette Christian Academy; Lafayette, Louisiana). Heard that Texas assistant David Cason saw him today. The Longhorns haven’t offered the 6-6 Alexander, who is No. 58 in the 2017 Rivals150, but there’s a chance that comes eventually. He’s running with the new Nike Mo Williams team called RM5 Elite.

Texas fans will also want to follow the Nike Houston Hoops team, which includes Texas targets Jarred Vanderbilt (offer), R.J. Nembhard (offer), 2018 Jaedon LeDee (offer), Jay Jay Chandler, Royce Hamm (offer), Isiah Jasey, and 2018 Matthew Mayer (offer). It’s safe to say that team is loaded. (McComas)

A lot of y’all asked today about the status of sophomore-to-be Tevin Mack in reference to a report about him possibly transferring.

From what we heard, Mack has been participating in workouts like the rest of the team, and one source said “he’s not leaving.”

There are a lot of reasons why the transfer list eclipses 500 total around college basketball each year, and one is at this time of the year, those outside voices around a player can get louder about this here or that there. We’ll continue to keep our ears open, but that’s what we heard today about Mack.

The Texas staff spent years recruiting Mack, and had to win his signature not once but twice after he was released from VCU to go to play for Shaka Smart at Texas. He figures to be a key part of what Texas does next season. (McComas)

Chris Hummer's basketball recruiting notes (from a few days ago)

Texas has multiple roster spots to fill this offseason as a part of either the 2016 class or in the grad transfer market. Here’s what I’ve picked up – through digging, sources and some social media reports – recently about that process for the Longhorns.

2016 Players

- Jarrett Allen is participating in the Nike Hoops Summit (2 p.m. Saturday, ESPN2) this week. After that it’s expected he’ll start to really ponder his decision. I don’t expect it to drag out too long into the signing period, but I wouldn’t be shocked if he took a few more visits. I still like Texas’ chances based on everything I’ve gathered. Houston is still a serious contender, however.

- As for former California basketball signee Tyson Jolly, I haven’t been able to track much down. Texas went by to see him about a week and a half ago, and I would not be surprised to see him visit soon.

- It’s wait and see when it comes to Clevon Brown. The Vanderbilt signee is going to try and get to know new coach Bryce Drew before making any kind of decision about backing out of his LOI. Initially, Brown did not know much about Drew. Texas was in Brown’s final two schools before he selected Vandy. A rangy 6-foot-8 wing, Brown is ideal for what Texas is looking for. Something to keep in mind, Brown is at his best in an up-and-down system. Drew played at a rather slow pace while coaching the Crusaders.

- Curtis Hayward II did not set up an official visit to Texas before the dead period. He does not yet hold an offer, but if someone like Jolly or a grad transfer doesn’t work out, I expect Texas to look back his way. Unless Hayward is wowed on a visit over the next few weeks, I expect him to take a wait-and-see approach the next month.

Potential Transfers

- Tulane transfer Dylan Osetkowski is visiting Texas this weekend. The 6-foot-8, 245-pound sophomore would have to sit out a year wherever he transferred to. Arizona is another big player for Osetkowski. The San Diego native averaged 11.3 points and 8.3 rebounds last season.

- As far as grad transfers go, expect Texas to reach out to – in some cases it already has – or at least kick the tires on Katin Reinhardt from USC, L.G. Gill from Duquesne and Alec Peters from Valparaiso. Reinhardt is a 6-foot-6, 220-pound redshirt junior who averaged 11.4 points and 2.8 assists per game while shooting 37 percent from behind the arc. Gill is a 6-foot-8, 220-pound forward from Virginia that the staff is already quite familiar with from its time at VCU. He averaged 10.1 points, 6.5 rebounds and 30 minutes per game this past season. Peters has not yet announced the intention to transfer from Valpo, but with Drew headed to Vanderbilt, it would not be a surprise to see him do so. If that happens, I expect Texas to reach out. He averaged 18.4 points, 8.5 rebounds and shot 44 percent from behind the arc last season. Simply, the 6-foot-9, 230-pound forward was one of the best players in college basketball last season, and he’d be one of the most sought after transfers on the market.

- I haven’t heard or seen anything linking the two, but Washington State big man Valentine Izunda is a graduate transfer. He originally signed with Houston, and he’s from the area. A big and athletic forward, it would make sense for the Longhorns to take a look.

- In terms of non-grad transfers, Arizona freshman guard Justin Simon is a name that’s been put out there on social media with a link to Texas. The 6-foot-5, 200-pound wing averaged 2.3 points and 1.2 rebounds in 7.5 minutes per game last year. Out of high school, 247Sports ranked him as the nation’s No. 33 overall recruit. He would have to sit out a year. Another name to watch out for is Derrick Griffin from Texas Southern. He was an Honorable Mention All-American last season and played for Houston Hoops in AAU.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Is that the same Derrick Griffin that was supposed to play football at Texas ATM?

IT notes (also a few days old)

It’s the silly season of college basketball recruiting. The dead period that lasts throughout the tournament ended yesterday…the spring signing period begins next Wednesday…the elite level all-star games are almost done (Hoops Summit is taking place right now and the Jordan Brand Classic is next Friday)…the coaching carousel has been spinning for a bit and those jobs are starting to come into clearer view…spring finals are just around the corner (meaning transfers are making themselves known)…grad transfers are also letting their intentions be known to the world…underclassmen have to declare for the draft by April 24…

There’s a lot going on.

The Texas Basketball program, for its part, is fully entrenched in pretty much all of the above.

So, let’s get to what Inside Texas knows at this point.

The Dead Period is Over:

Texas head coach Shaka Smart and assistant coach Mike Morrell were in Virginia yesterday visiting point guard Matt Coleman from Oak Hill Academy. The senior-to-be point guard has been a Shaka Smart recruit for almost three years now and the fact that Shaka could have been anywhere, visiting any recruit he wanted and he chose to go see Coleman should be a great indicator of how important he is to the program.

It’s not a surprise.

Coleman is a true point guard and one of the most dynamic playmakers in the country.

The 2017 recruiting class promises to be a strong one with the Longhorns squarely in the mix for a number of high level prospects, but it is worth noting that Shaka visited a 6-foot-0 point guard from Virginia.

Texas is squarely in the mix for Coleman.

Spring Signing Period Starts Wednesday:

Jarrett Allen is at the Nike Hoops Summit in Portland (Shaka’s been there as well). As has been the case for almost an entire year, the speculation around the five-star power forward is just that…speculation.

The word on the street has been pro-Texas for awhile (and remains so), but the rubber is pretty close to hitting the road and it will be interesting to see how Allen handles the last few weeks of his courtship by essentially any major college he would choose.

Information that Houston is looking to hire his AAU coach isn’t brand new, but that it’s being brought up at this point speaks to the kind of recruit Jarrett is.

The information I continue to hear points to him ending up in Austin, but this is a recruitment which embodies the “won’t be done until it’s done” nature of recruiting.

The Coaching Carousel Spins:

The Eyes of Texas took a turn to the Northeast this week as the collective basketball minds in Nashville decided to hire Bryce Drew to replace Kevin Stallings at Vanderbilt.

Drew is coming off an NIT Final run with Valparaiso and is considered a hot name in the coaching community.

Hot enough to keep San Antonio forward Clevon Brown from asking for his release from the Commodores and looking around?

Well…

The latest I’ve heard is that a Brown request could come down as early as the beginning of next week. If that’s the case, look for Texas to be a major player right away for the burgeoning athlete from just down I-35.

Normal Transfer Market:

Texas is set to host 6-foot-8 Tulane transfer Dylan Osetkowski this weekend as the Horns attempt to make a big impression on the skilled forward who would have two years of eligibility left after sitting out the 2016-17 season.

A source checked in with Inside Texas about the prep work for the San Diego native’s arrival.

“(Dylan’s) a well put together kid in every way,” the source said. “We think he’s got bigger upside than he’s already shown, and he’s had two great years in a big-time conference already. We see him in a (departing Baylor senior Taurean) Prince mold for us with his ability to pass, shoot and rebound. Plus he’d be the best forward we have at putting it on the deck from day one.”

Obviously, he’s a guy the staff is excited about. Now they’ll just have to sell him and his parents on that this weekend.

Arizona is the main competition right now, and it’s tough to deny how good of a fit Dylan would be under Sean Miller’s system.

Texas will have their shot, which is all they can ask for.

Grad Transfer Market:

While names are popping up from out of the woodwork regarding grad transfers, and while Texas is definitely hoping to land at least one during this spring season, there’s nothing of real substance to report at this time.

There are possibilities…Katin Reinhardt of USC (a shooting guard Texas recruited out of high school…Alec Peters (the Valparaiso forward who has declared for the draft without an agent now that Drew has left for Vandy)…LG Gill from Duquesne (another forward to would fit the combo bill in the frontcourt)..

But until any of these guys set up a visit to Austin, there’s not much other than rumors/hopes.

When there’s more to talk about, we’ll have your back.

A Declaration of Our Own:

As was reported by Justin yesterday, Texas’ junior point guard Isaiah Taylor declared for the NBA Draft.

This was expected and is the right decision for Taylor as the new system for college players where they can participate in the Combine and an NBA workout is designed to be utilized by fringe draft players (of which, Taylor is one).

As of now he has not hired an agent but the text I received last night was as simple as it was straightforward.

“We expect him to stay in the draft."

A Declaration of Our Own:

As was reported by Justin yesterday, Texas’ junior point guard Isaiah Taylor declared for the NBA Draft.

This was expected and is the right decision for Taylor as the new system for college players where they can participate in the Combine and an NBA workout is designed to be utilized by fringe draft players (of which, Taylor is one).

As of now he has not hired an agent but the text I received last night was as simple as it was straightforward.

“We expect him to stay in the draft."
Open Letter from a fan that watches way too much college and pro basketball, but has no coaching experience. DON'T DO IT ISAIAH!

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Open Letter from a fan that watches way too much college and pro basketball, but has no coaching experience. DON'T DO IT ISAIAH!

Well I have some youth bball coaching experience. And I know for a fact that I personally believe that I would rather see Taylor in burnt orange next year than on some NBA team. Take it from a coach, stay one more year Isaiah. You can never get your college years back (unless you punch a girl in the face and Stoops will give you an xfer schollie)

Reactions: diadevic
ADVERTISEMENT