ADVERTISEMENT

Best Brisket I’ve had

This particular brisket breakfast taco at Valentina's was featured on a BBQuest show on Hulu that I watched a few days ago. It's a show worth catching - the hosts review Texas BBQ joints across the state.

Reactions: Belldozer1
Sounds like a rip off. I can get one at my HEB for about $2.99/lb plus beer and charcoal.
That's actually not to bad of a price right now for cooked brisket. I pay close to 30.00 a pound at Heim in Ft. Worth and it's worth every penny. Some of the best brisket I have ever had. Takes a lot of man hours to prepare a brisket or any bbq for that matter. I don't mind paying for it every now and then.

$11/TACO? OR $11/3 tacos with beans and rice? That $11ea wouldn't go over to well in El Paso town.
$11 taco. Whole slice brisket, bacon, fried egg, beans, potato, all in one taco. That brisket was damn good

Have you tried Coronado's bbq? On 725 just north of County Line. Brisket very good, pork ribs are the best I've ever had. Only open Fri-Sun, 11 til he sells out.

That's actually not to bad of a price right now for cooked brisket. I pay close to 30.00 a pound at Heim in Ft. Worth and it's worth every penny. Some of the best brisket I have ever had. Takes a lot of man hours to prepare a brisket or any bbq for that matter. I don't mind paying for it every now and then.
I know. I'm just stuck in the old days when brisket was the cheap cut of meat no one else wanted. It was served at every family reunion, wedding, baptism, birthday party, fundraiser, and anywhere else people wanted to feed a bunch of people for cheap. How times have changed.

I've had it. Not bad. Go out to SisterDale to Blackboard BBQ and have the Wagyu brisket. It isn't fair.
NOW you tell me? Just drove through there last weekend....gonna have to find the time to get back out that way to try it....

NOW you tell me? Just drove through there last weekend....gonna have to find the time to get back out that way to try it....
Sisterdale is like 35 minutes from Kerrville. That ain't much of a drive. Just Google mapped it. From downtown Kerrville to blackboard bbq is 31 miles, 34 minutes travel time. You got zero excuses.

Sisterdale is like 35 minutes from Kerrville. That ain't much of a drive. Just Google mapped it. From downtown Kerrville to blackboard bbq is 31 miles, 34 minutes travel time. You got zero excuses.
Bu....buh.....but....I was uh....just about to start my vegan, tofu, pescatarian diet.....

and since we're on a food thread. Had a student try to claim the other day, that a vegetarian taco was perfectly acceptable under certain circumstances....my response was that the only acceptable circumstance was that there was no meat....in which case someone better get off their ass and kill something....

I've had it. Not bad. Go out to SisterDale to Blackboard BBQ and have the Wagyu brisket. It isn't fair.
I got a traegar for my birthday this year and for Easter made my first brisket ever. I decided to spend a little money and get wagyu. Let me tell you I surprised my self for my first time and I can't believe the way it came out. Wagyu is just on another level.

I was going to post this in my first post but I didn't want to break the message board. I will be getting this soon. Actually I think they sell the burgers at a different location now called Cash Cow burgers.
TGC2K4r.png

Reactions: RoboCocks21
I got a traegar for my birthday this year and for Easter made my first brisket ever. I decided to spend a little money and get wagyu. Let me tell you I surprised my self for my first time and I can't believe the way it came out. Wagyu is just on another level.
First of all, you Traegar guys are traitors. I know, I know, it makes it impossible to fvck up the meat.

But I grew up cooking meat over mesquite wood. That was how daddy taught me. For Thanksgiving last year I made 2 inch porterhouses over mesquite wood at my little brother's house. I just can't do it any other way. You gotta stand there over the meat, pay exacting attention to it, turn it at the right times, let that smoke burn your eyes-- you gotta earn it.

I just can't "set it and forget it".

On another level money wise...I can take a cheap brisket and turn that thing around and you would never know it did't cost a lot of bucks...its all about how ya cook it

First of all, you Traegar guys are traitors. I know, I know, it makes it impossible to fvck up the meat.

But I grew up cooking meat over mesquite wood. That was how daddy taught me. For Thanksgiving last year I made 2 inch porterhouses over mesquite wood at my little brother's house. I just can't do it any other way. You gotta stand there over the meat, pay exacting attention to it, turn it at the right times, let that smoke burn your eyes-- you gotta earn it.

I just can't "set it and forget it".
I have to agree but I do own a Green Egg in addition to my regular steel pit. Heck I know there are alot of theory and preferences but I cook everything over mesquite wood or mesquite lump charcoal

I have to agree but I do own a Green Egg in addition to my regular steel pit. Heck I know there are alot of theory and preferences but I cook everything over mesquite wood or mesquite lump charcoal
I got my fourth barrel pit from HEB and i can cook the shit outa anything better than a 300 pit..its all about cooking..and if you know what ya doing..I u sally cook 4 at a time just start smoking them and then build fire up and forget them until morning...let them go all night about 250 all night

I got my fourth barrel pit from HEB and i can cook the shit outa anything better than a 300 pit..its all about cooking..and if you know what ya doing..I u sally cook 4 at a time just start smoking them and then build fire up and forget them until morning...let them go all night about 250 all night
My family owns an oil company in South Texas. 35 years ago my Dad's employees built him a barrel pit. Inch and a half thick. 12 feel long. Smoke stack, fire box, trailer mounted, the works for 1986. Built it like a fvcking tank. Double axel. I get that bad boy hot and it STAYS hot. Some of the best meals I've ever cooked in my life are on that pit. I've done a whole piglet, stitched up with an apple in his mouth. Briskets by the tonne. Pheasant like you wouldn't believe. Quail that literally makes folks faint. Dove poppers by the thousands. Steaks of every cut--- Every size. Cabrito, racks of lamb. Mountain oysters. And chingos of fajitas. But what I REALLY love smoking, is shell fish. Whole crabs and lobsters, especially king crabs. My dear God in heaven. Now my mom, she loves the 12 count Goliath prawn smoked over that sucker with lemon and garlic butter. My mother will knock you smooth the fvck out if you touch her shrimp or prawn without her say so. I was cooking them one weekend and I pulled one off the grill, popped its head off to test it, and she saw me do it through the kitchen window..... she shot me the death ray eye. Those were HER prawn. I'm lucky to be alive.

Valentinas smokes with mesquite very Tex Mex BBQ. If you’re ever in Seguin hit up Burnt Bean. On Sundays he does mojellas which isn’t normally on any BBQ menu.

if you’re getting brisket for $2.99 that’s a deal I can’t find it under $3.46 an lb and Prime is closer to $5.00. I’ve been smoking for 20 years and these beef prices are stupid.

Valentinas smokes with mesquite very Tex Mex BBQ. If you’re ever in Seguin hit up Burnt Bean. On Sundays he does mojellas which isn’t normally on any BBQ menu.

if you’re getting brisket for $2.99 that’s a deal I can’t find it under $3.46 an lb and Prime is closer to $5.00. I’ve been smoking for 20 years and these beef prices are stupid.
Maaaaaan..... sweet breads gotta be done perfect--- or they taste like piss.

Highly recommend Burnt Bean in Seguin. BBQ is incredible and you can't leave without trying the mojellas. Just freaking unbelievable! My mother used to make them every Sunday as a kid. Love the taste but damn that smell when it's being prepped will knock you out cold! I used to tease buddies from UT I would bring over to visit for some Sunday Tex Mex and tell them that we're having sweetbread tacos. They would look me real funny when they saw it wasn't a cinnamon roll or something. That look on their face would always make me laugh.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT