ADVERTISEMENT

Best Brisket I’ve had

My family owns an oil company in South Texas. 35 years ago my Dad's employees built him a barrel pit. Inch and a half thick. 12 feel long. Smoke stack, fire box, trailer mounted, the works for 1986. Built it like a fvcking tank. Double axel. I get that bad boy hot and it STAYS hot. Some of the best meals I've ever cooked in my life are on that pit. I've done a whole piglet, stitched up with an apple in his mouth. Briskets by the tonne. Pheasant like you wouldn't believe. Quail that literally makes folks faint. Dove poppers by the thousands. Steaks of every cut--- Every size. Cabrito, racks of lamb. Mountain oysters. And chingos of fajitas. But what I REALLY love smoking, is shell fish. Whole crabs and lobsters, especially king crabs. My dear God in heaven. Now my mom, she loves the 12 count Goliath prawn smoked over that sucker with lemon and garlic butter. My mother will knock you smooth the fvck out if you touch her shrimp or prawn without her say so. I was cooking them one weekend and I pulled one off the grill, popped its head off to test it, and she saw me do it through the kitchen window..... she shot me the death ray eye. Those were HER prawn. I'm lucky to be alive.
Were going to need you at a game with samples of all the above. Have friends in Georgia that have hunting plantations and man are the Dove poppers good. I'm sure your mother is a wonderful person but leave her at the house and bring the shrimp.. Definitely going to have to make this happen at some point.

Reactions: Belldozer1
If you like sweetbreads and are ever Chukar hunting in Winnemucca, NV, try the Martin Hotel. Basque style food, you sure as hell won't leave hungry and the sweetbreads are fantastic. Served up with the best French fries you'll have that side of the Rockies and fresh bread right out of their ovens. Bottomless beans and all the sides.....

First of all, you Traegar guys are traitors. I know, I know, it makes it impossible to fvck up the meat.

But I grew up cooking meat over mesquite wood. That was how daddy taught me. For Thanksgiving last year I made 2 inch porterhouses over mesquite wood at my little brother's house. I just can't do it any other way. You gotta stand there over the meat, pay exacting attention to it, turn it at the right times, let that smoke burn your eyes-- you gotta earn it.

I just can't "set it and forget it".

I grew up the same way with being from West Texas like you. My dad used to make some chicken on the pit that my family still talks about till this day. I use to go out with him and his nephew to get leńa (mesquite). I would see them cook, but I was a kid and just wanted to run around and play. Trust me I have got the burning in my eyes and staying with the meat you wouldn't believe it, but the traegar is the same way. Oh and I only use mesquite pellets.

My uncle has also tried to teach me to cook as well, but he is in Odessa and we would only see them on holidays and he has a bad A$$ customized pit on a trailer. He use to go and compete alot and he would win some and fair well in others. He has now got a pellet grill and he is in love and has told me he is done cooking on other pits. He has more time to sit back and relax and drink more beer now and no more long nights.

Are you having to trim the brisket? Cause ill tell you with the wagyu I just prep that sucker and stuck it on the grill no fat trimming for me.
I've got to ask, how much is a wagyu full packer brisket going for now? Last I looked at briskets, prime was in the $55-$65 range.

Oh and for the record, post oak kicks mesquite square in the nuts for bbqing. Mesquite burns too fast and too hot unless you've soaked it in water/apple juice. Even then, I'd only use it in small chunks or chips for the 1st hr of smoke flavor. Who wants to fight?

I've had it. Not bad. Go out to SisterDale to Blackboard BBQ and have the Wagyu brisket. It isn't fair.
Interesting. I've put into the guadalupe under the bridge in sisterdale to run all the way down to 281 many times and have never tried blackboard.
We'll check them out early next spring for sure.
Thanks for the recommendation.

I've got to ask, how much is a wagyu full packer brisket going for now? Last I looked at briskets, prime was in the $55-$65 range.

Oh and for the record, post oak kicks mesquite square in the nuts for bbqing. Mesquite burns too fast and too hot unless you've soaked it in water/apple juice. Even then, I'd only use it in small chunks or chips for the 1st hr of smoke flavor. Who wants to fight?
American Wagyu brisket will cost you around $8+ an lb right now. I’ll stick with Prime for that price.

As far as wood yes I agree with PO for smoking BUT I have smoked with Mesquite it’s really not that bad I just prefer the lighter smoke. Hickory is also good.

I smoke on a Pitts and Spitts and currently waiting on a WorkHorse Pit to be delivered. I don’t do pellets it just doesn’t seem right.

Last edited:
Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
If you’re in Houston my places for BBQ are Cork Screw, Tejas Chocolate, Feges, Truth (I know), and The Pitroom.

Last edited:

“Touch deez or suck on deez.” You’re right on mesquite but I have to have that mesquite flavor. If I’m using my EGG I do just use the chunks with lump charcoal

Last edited:
American Wagyu brisket will cost you around $8+ an lb right now. I’ll stick with Prime for that price.

As far as wood yes I agree with PO for smoking BUT I have smoked with Mesquite it’s really not that bad I just prefer the lighter smoke. Hickory is also good.

I smoke on a Pitts and Spitts and currently waiting on a WorkHorse Pit to be delivered. I don’t do pellets it just doesn’t seem right.
Ahh so you’ve got a little money into that pit. I’ve just got a Lyfe Tyme and an Egg.

Ahh so you’ve got a little money into that pit. I’ve just got a Lyfe Tyme and an Egg.
It’s been in the family for some time now. We’ve maintained it through the years. It does the job but I’m in need of a new one. I’ve grilled on an Egg but never smoked on one. I do like them they keep heat in really well.

You must have fallen out of your tree hide this morning and hit your head...... it's not cold outside so I know your little toes weren't frozen. Did you slip? You getting not so sure footed in your old age? Poor guy. Because it sounded like you muttered something something about "post oak" and I just wanted to make sure you hadn't knocked yourself down queer street while getting ready for deer season.

Reactions: StrangerHorn

The one I had bought was 10 lbs and around $60

You must have fallen out of your tree hide this morning and hit your head...... it's not cold outside so I know your little toes weren't frozen. Did you slip? You getting not so sure footed in your old age? Poor guy. Because it sounded like you muttered something something about "post oak" and I just wanted to make sure you hadn't knocked yourself down queer street while getting ready for deer season.
Look here young grasshoppa if you're still smoking for flavor after 3hrs, you done fvcked it up. Mesquite for smoke, PO for even heat, predictability, & light flavor profile.

I agree with you on not using mesquite. I does burn too hot. My preferred wood for smoking in order is pecan, hickory and oak. I have a Lyfe Tyme smoker and also use a 26" Weber grill.

Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
I agree with you on not using mesquite. I does burn too hot. My preferred wood for smoking in order is pecan, hickory and oak. I have a Lyfe Tyme smoker and also use a 26" Weber grill.
If I'm going for a traditional Texas style it's post oak, salt & pepper, done. Other times I do like to add a mix of pecan and applewood chips.

I use an old new braunfels offset for a few hours of smoke then transfer to a pellet grill for consistant temp & worry free beer drinking. You can finish brisket in an oven as well but the house will smell like a bonfire and I don't think the bark gets to my liking.
Heavy smoke the entire cook makes it too strong imo.

If I'm going for a traditional Texas style it's post oak, salt & pepper, done. Other times I do like to add a mix of pecan and applewood chips.

I use an old new braunfels offset for a few hours of smoke then transfer to a pellet grill for consistant temp & worry free beer drinking. You can finish brisket in an oven as well but the house will smell like a bonfire and I don't think the bark gets to my liking.
Heavy smoke the entire cook makes it too strong imo.
Yep, you can definitely get too much smoke, especially with mesquite. I use an offset similar to a lyfetyme and use B&B oak lump charcoal for the heat supply and add one or two fist sized chunks of wood (either oak, pecan, or mesquite) for the smoke flavor. I do that for a few hours and then stop adding the wood chunks and only use the charcoal the rest of the way. Turns out with the right amount of smoke.

I agree that you can get too much smoke. When I do a brisket, I season it liberally with kosher salt, course ground black pepper and garlic powder. Put in on the smoker at 225F for about four hours and then wrap it in foil and finish cooking it in the oven for about another four to five hours. There is no need to continue it on the smoker wrapped in foil, as the smoke can't get through the foil. By putting the brisket in the oven, you have consistent, low heat that is controlled and you don't have to maintain the fire like you do on the pit/smoker. It is ridiculously tender and delicious!

I agree that you can get too much smoke. When I do a brisket, I season it liberally with kosher salt, course ground black pepper and garlic powder. Put in on the smoker at 225F for about four hours and then wrap it in foil and finish cooking it in the oven for about another four to five hours. There is no need to continue it on the smoker wrapped in foil, as the smoke can't get through the foil. By putting the brisket in the oven, you have consistent, low heat that is controlled and you don't have to maintain the fire like you do on the pit/smoker. It is ridiculously tender and delicious!
I can't tell you how many briskets I have cooked just like this that have turned out better than any brisket I have had at restaurants.

Went to a dinner party in New York years ago. Business related. Hosts were Jewish people. 4 story brownstone with a roof terrace. Jewish dude said he made the best brisket on the planet. Smoked it up on the roof for 3 hours then popped it in the oven.

Straight roast beef. I had one piece. I don't know how y'all do the oven part.

I do something similar but I smoke it until 165 then wrap in butcher until probe tender. Then rest until about 150 then keep it at 150 for up to 8hrs. The juices and tenderness are unreal. My brother in law hates brisket said he’s never had it that good until the day he ate mine. Even the flat is moist. I don’t like wasting wood so the oven is my friend. I use the left over trimmings for burgers and those come out delicious as well.

Reactions: LonghornMM
Went to a dinner party in New York years ago. Business related. Hosts were Jewish people. 4 story brownstone with a roof terrace. Jewish dude said he made the best brisket on the planet. Smoked it up on the roof for 3 hours then popped it in the oven.

Because you get plenty of smoky flavor with four hours on the pit. Beyond that is pointless. The key to making a great brisket is low and slow. I do a total of about eight hours. Four on the smoker and finish it wrapped in the oven. Most people wrap their brisket with foil after about four hours and leave it on the pit. There's no point. The smoke doesn't get through the foil. Clob, you should try the oven thing. Once you do, you'll see what I'm talking about.

Because you get plenty of smoky flavor with four hours on the pit. Beyond that is pointless. The key to making a great brisket is low and slow. I do a total of about eight hours. Four on the smoker and finish it wrapped in the oven. Most people wrap their brisket with foil after about four hours and leave it on the pit. There's no point. The smoke doesn't get through the foil. Clob, you should try the oven thing. Once you do, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Yeah if you are gonna wrap in foil (Texas crutch) and put it back on the smoker you are truly wasting wood. Ultimately 4-6 hrs is enough smoke but to each their own. I also don’t usually have the time to spend 10-12 hrs smoking a brisket on a stick burner. The point is to have enough bark, smoke, tenderness and moisture on/in the brisket.

You get all the smoke flavor you need in 4 hours. The only thing you don't get in the oven is the bark and smoke ring. Other than that it tastes the exact same to me.

You get all the smoke flavor you need in 4 hours. The only thing you don't get in the oven is the bark and smoke ring. Other than that it tastes the exact same to me.
If you smoke until 165 the bark should set. Believe me even if you put it in the oven after the smoker the bark will form. Obviously this is with butcher I don’t know about foil. I’ve done atleast 8-9 briskets in the oven after 165deg and they all have a bark and smoke ring. Now all oven cooked then yes no bark and no smoke ring but what Texan would do that!
Here’s mine two different briskets.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoookem722
If you smoke until 165 the bark should set. Believe me even if you put it in the oven after the smoker the bark will form. Obviously this is with butcher I don’t know about foil. I’ve done atleast 8-9 briskets in the oven after 165deg and they all have a bark and smoke ring. Now all oven cooked then yes no bark and no smoke ring but what Texan would do that!
I guess I should have clarified you don't get the same amount of bark and smoke ring as you would on the smoker for the full time. At least mine never did.

No bark and no smoke ring is nothing more than a roast. Don’t ask me how I know that

Reactions: LongfellowDrew
What temp in the oven you using? 250?

ADVERTISEMENT