ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 seems to be

Hookedonit

Mar 21, 2018
Becoming a bit more defensive minded. Teams are focusing a bit towards playing some defense rather than all out shootouts like previous years.Its kinda like Sec is becoming like the old Big 12 and the Big 12 is moving toward Sec style of lower scores. Never seemed possible in my humble opinion.

I think BIG12 QB's were just down this year. SEC is definitely becoming a more wide open offensive league. The rules are pushing everybody that way. When the OT's can hold, they let offensive lineman down field, corners can't grab receivers, and receivers are protected from hits over the middle, it only makes sense to spread it out and throw.

So weird that giving up 30 versus a good team is now solid defense. I kinda hate it.

I think BIG12 QB's were just down this year. SEC is definitely becoming a more wide open offensive league. The rules are pushing everybody that way. When the OT's can hold, they let offensive lineman down field, corners can't grab receivers, and receivers are protected from hits over the middle, it only makes sense to spread it out and throw.

So weird that giving up 30 versus a good team is now solid defense. I kinda hate it.

I've seen plenty of corners get away with holding.

Other than that, I agree with everything you just said

…..and on Brainiacs they are talking up the "compressed formations" we used against Utah and how well they work to neutralize defenses.....So....the HUNH is working with spread offenses and when we get used to that, they talk about the "new" compressed offenses.

Hey, I just watch on TV. I need Coachemup to explain all this to me. Is it just a case of everything old is new again?

…..and on Brainiacs they are talking up the "compressed formations" we used against Utah and how well they work to neutralize defenses.....So....the HUNH is working with spread offenses and when we get used to that, they talk about the "new" compressed offenses.

Hey, I just watch on TV. I need Coachemup to explain all this to me. Is it just a case of everything old is new again?
The universe is simultaneously expanding and contracting.

Does that help you understand it better.

"Compressed" is still 11 (1 RB and 1 TE) and 12 (1RB and 2 TE) personnel but all of the players are inside the numbers. It can help with blocking angles and it can also help slot guys get a free release.

Like Speedstrength said above compressed is just a way of saying a formation is "tighter" together and inside the numbers just off the o-line. Usually the personnel will stay the same, unless the compressed formation is a certain package. Some common formations would be Doubles tight, trips tight or bunch, tre tight, etc. Why you do this is to typically get teams to check into some sort of coverage depending on how you line up formation wise and now you can scheme up better 1v1 matchups for your playmakers. Defense's usually check into the same coverage for certain formations they rarely see, unless they scheme up differently week to week. Empty check Cover 2, Quads check Cover 3, tight check Cover 2 or 3 depending on formation. This makes it easier on the defense, especially the Db's to get lined up. Alignment comes first, you can disguise and trick things up later. Sorry I kinda rambled and gave you the offense and defense perspective lol.

It’s a crazy beginning to the 2020 football year with Aranda going to Baylor and Leach headed to the SECSEC. The spead, hunh, uptempo has infiltrated all of CFB. How the hell LSU discovered the forward pass, had a hell of an offense and won a NC all in the same year is beyond me but I’ll be there pointing and laughing when they crash and burn this year.

Like Speedstrength said above compressed is just a way of saying a formation is "tighter" together and inside the numbers just off the o-line. Usually the personnel will stay the same, unless the compressed formation is a certain package. Some common formations would be Doubles tight, trips tight or bunch, tre tight, etc. Why you do this is to typically get teams to check into some sort of coverage depending on how you line up formation wise and now you can scheme up better 1v1 matchups for your playmakers. Defense's usually check into the same coverage for certain formations they rarely see, unless they scheme up differently week to week. Empty check Cover 2, Quads check Cover 3, tight check Cover 2 or 3 depending on formation. This makes it easier on the defense, especially the Db's to get lined up. Alignment comes first, you can disguise and trick things up later. Sorry I kinda rambled and gave you the offense and defense perspective lol.
And you didn't even bother going into cover 6 and cover 8. You're slipping, man. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT