ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 trending up

KStateFootball82

Jan 8, 2017
Several reasons but to name a Few:

-record revenue by conference booked in 2017

-beat postseason record of all conferences over last two years

-Red River will carry national implications again a la 2000’s for next 10-15 years under Herman and Riley

-overall talent level trending back up: OU hasn’t had 3 straight top ten classes since 2002-2004, doing it again here 2017-2019 (2019 already a lock for one). Texas put in a top 5 class for the first time since at least 2013 under Mack. Prob 2000’s. TCU, Baylor, Pokes, and WVU all averaging top 30 classes. Draft picks were well better in 2018 than 2017. Will continue to trend to 25-30 annually for next few years.

-competing in the playoff with OU and now TCU, WVA, Texas, Okie State, K-State all can get there in any given year beside just OU.

More to come.

Another kstate-r eh. I bet you don't get down like 12345cat does.

Good post agree on all counts

-Red River will carry national implications again a la 2000’s for next 10-15 years under Herman and Riley

-overall talent level trending back up: OU hasn’t had 3 straight top ten classes since 2002-2004, doing it again here 2017-2019 (2019 already a lock for one). Texas put in a top 5 class for the first time since at least 2013 under Mack. Prob 2000’s. TCU, Baylor, Pokes, and WVU all averaging top 30 classes. Draft picks were well better in 2018 than 2017. Will continue to trend to 25-30 annually for next few years.

-competing in the playoff with OU and now TCU, WVA, Texas, Okie State, K-State all can get there in any given year beside just OU.

More to come.

Good post, agree on most counts. Riley and Herman are not gaurantees but look promising. The Big 12 is one of only two conferences with two blue bloods (Big 10 the other) and needs to get Texas back at full strength ASAP. It’s simply matter of a rising tide lifting all boats.

Reactions: outhereincali

Good post agree on all counts

More to come.

Good post, agree on most counts. Riley and Herman are not gaurantees but look promising. The Big 12 is one of only two conferences with two blue bloods (Big 10 the other) and needs to get Texas back at full strength ASAP. It’s simply matter of a rising tide lifting all boats.

No doubt. Texas being down has killed us 100%. TCU and Baylor being good 2013-2015 was great and all (TCU was the best team in the land in 2014) But it’s not Texas or Oklahoma. Your blue bloods go as your conference goes and vice versa.

But the pain is over. Herman will get at least 9 this year. Maybe more.

No doubt. Texas being down has killed us 100%. TCU and Baylor being good 2013-2015 was great and all (TCU was the best team in the land in 2014) But it’s not Texas or Oklahoma. Your blue bloods go as your conference goes and vice versa.

Not that on the field results matter, but Baylor did beat TCU in 2014.

Not that on the field results matter, but Baylor did beat TCU in 2014.

TCU lost at top 5 Baylor blowing a Q4 lead. I think if you’re going to lose 1 game that’s pretty excusable.

TCU stomped their OOC in Minnesota and ran table on most other teams all year. And played defense. Plus had the best 1-2 in the country in Boykin and Dotson. A low down dirty shame.

More to come.

You're right about Riley and Herman being up and comers among the new coaches. But I would liketo mention two more new coaches in the Big XII.

Even though Baylor went 1/11 I think Matt Rhule can get the job done at Baylor. People talk about Tom Herman having to change the culture at Texas. But that culture change is nowhere near as bad as what Ruhle has to do at Baylor. And when you consider that they were 1/11 they had a great class a top 25 class. And that was a higher ranked class than anything Briles had. Don't write him off.

But the young coach on the rise that Big XII fans should pay attention to is Matt Campbell at ISU. They beat the top two teams in the Big XII last year and finished 7/5 and won the Liberty Bowl. Apparently they are upgrading their facilities because they have the third biggest stadium in the Big XII 61,000 to be exact. Watch this young man. If ISU can keep him he could become the Bill Snyder of ISU. Watch them when they play IA on 9/8.

Thanks for the thread.

Last edited:
We know that. Does not change TCU being the best team in the country that year
Better than Zek Elliott, Joey Bosa, and Urban's boys? Really think they win that one? Especially with JT Barrett out of the way.

Ohio State had 17 guys drafted in 2015 & 2016, including 5 1st rounders & 3 2nd rounders. TCU had 7 drafted over the same period, with 1 1st rounder & no second rounders.
TCU had a nice squad, but people who are paid to know didn't see the talent as similar.
I know talent isn't everything, but it is the most important thing.

Better than Zek Elliott, Joey Bosa, and Urban's boys? Really think they win that one? Especially with JT Barrett out of the way.

Ohio State had 17 guys drafted in 2015 & 2016, including 5 1st rounders & 3 2nd rounders. TCU had 7 drafted over the same period, with 1 1st rounder & no second rounders.
TCU had a nice squad, but people who are paid to know didn't see the talent as similar.

Would have been a good game. But individual prospects don't win games, teams do. I didn't see a team like TCU all year. And all that talent at OSU got their asses kicked on their home field that season by a weak VT team.

Reactions: KStateFootball82

Would have been a good game. But individual prospects don't win games, teams do. I didn't see a team like TCU all year. And all that talent at OSU got their asses kicked on their home field that season by a weak VT team.

THIS. TCU was the best team in the land that year and will go to my grave believing it.

61-58. Not that on the field results matter.
61 - 58 is kinda the problem. Many people don't respect those kind of games/teams. Worse than losing to me, elite teams don't give up 60+ points. It was barely tackle football, as no one ever got tackled.

Then not having much NFL talent on top of that... I'd take OSU over TCU (assuming TJ Barrett is hurt or benched).

nebraska was the best team in 96, but roll left
k-state was the best team in 98 but they gagged against aggy
Texas was the 2nd best team in 01 but chris simms

on and on it goes. you have to be lucky to win the natty. don't say saban eschews luck because colt mccoy, rematches only being okay when it's secsec, and getting a playoff spot without winning the division. he took advantage of those situations, but all of those required some luck along the way.

Reactions: diadevic
The problem was 61, not 3.
I understand your point, but it is highly misplaced.

This TCU "barely tackle" football team held Ole Miss, the 2nd best team in the vaunted SEC, to three embarrassing points in the Peach Bowl. Three. On a 4th quarter gutless field goal while losing 42-0. BTW - an Ole miss team stacked with NFL talent. Baylor put 61 on a great TCU team, because the BU offense was great enough to put 61 on a great TCU team. BU had its deficiencies on D, but don't disrespect that offense. I'm not sure college football will ever see such high powered, balanced display again.

Negative. a$m gets 100 hung on them at bailor that year.
They would have kicked our ass for sure. Probably scored 60 or 70 points on us too. Of course our defense wasn't any good.
That is not the same thing as beating Alabama and Ohio State in the playoffs.

nebraska was the best team in 96, but roll left
k-state was the best team in 98 but they gagged against aggy
Texas was the 2nd best team in 01 but chris simms

on and on it goes. you have to be lucky to win the natty. don't say saban eschews luck because colt mccoy, rematches only being okay when it's secsec, and getting a playoff spot without winning the division. he took advantage of those situations, but all of those required some luck along the way.

Our 98 team probably was a top 5-6 Big 12 team since inception period, up there with NU 97, Texas 05/09, OU 2000/2003, TCU 2014, etc. had the best player in the country under center (Mike Bishop) and he fumbles AFTER getting the first down to lock up the game and a trip to the national championship. It was the most K-State move of all time tho in the same light.

I'm reading these posts and I'm trying to decide if I'm truly awake yet........ or not.....

For the Big XII to become respected, and relevant again Texas must return to it's place among the elite. It's not complicated. I'm forced to admit that OK has done their part. It's early but I think Tom Herman can get the job done. There are young and upcoming bright coaches in the Big XII not just Herman. Guys that will bring defensive fb back to the Big XII.

But it has to start with Texas.
I'm reading these posts and I'm trying to decide if I'm truly awake yet........ or not.....

Reactions: LonghornMM
For the Big XII to become respected, and relevant again Texas must return to it's place among the elite. It's not complicated. I'm forced to admit that OK has done their part. It's early but I think Tom Herman can get the job done. There are young and upcoming bright coaches in the Big XII not just Herman. Guys that will bring defensive fb back to the Big XII.

But it has to start with Texas.

Nailed it. And everyone in the XII says the same thing. Texas at 9-12 wins a year like under Mack, the whole perfection changes instantly. It will happen this year

ADVERTISEMENT