ADVERTISEMENT

BJ Foster Commits at 3pm

He is in.

C5dGW6rVMAA4XZh

Sterns, Overshown and Foster. On paper, it could be the best safety group ever signed. Hoping they all pan out like we think they will.

Kids say and do the darndest things. And they make decisions about their collegiate futures for all kinds of reasons. In the case of the nation’s top safety prospect, one of the big reasons may have to do with in-mouth jewelry for a white middle-aged football coach.

As one of the salient details from this 247 Sports piece detailing five-star Angleton (Texas) safety prospect BJ Foster’s commitment to surging in-state power Texas, we learned that new Texas head football coach Tom Herman allegedly pledged to a group of top in-state recruits that he would purchase a gold grill with the message “Revolution18” if Texas finishes with the nation’s top-ranked recruiting class.

He has them up to No. 4, and the Horns aren’t done yet.

Don’t think for a second that the grill is a simple throwaway distraction in the recruiting process, either. While a number of Texas’ top current recruits — including Foster, Caden Sterns, Justin Watkins and quarterbacks Cameron Rising and Casey Thompson — are coming to Austin to play for Herman, a group of them are definitely also motivated by trying to make him look foolish. It’s what teenagers do. And they know there’s no way to make a bearded, Mensa-approved white football coach than making him don a diamond-encrusted golden mouthpiece.

Tom Herman has made another grill bet https://t.co/pJD0QOiWTR pic.twitter.com/i04fgNYdem

— 247Sports (@247Sports) June 5, 2017

Don’t believe us? Remember: This has worked for Herman before. Or just listen to Foster. He mentioned the grill practically right away.

“I’m going to recruit Brennan Eagles,” Foster said. “I’ve been talking to him. D’shawn Jamison, too. We’re coming for that No. 1 class. Coach Herman’s grill would be sweet.”

Coach Herman’s grill would be sweet for the coach himself, too, particularly if it helps him land the nation’s top recruiting class in his first full cycle on the job.

I think you mean LB, or Sterns to corner which is supposedly what the staff sold him on. No way Overshown plays corner.
Nope, I think he ends up at corner. He is big but has speed and athleticism.

He's not playing safety at Texas.

DBU baby. Kid is a monster and he ain't the only monster DB in this class. This is going to be a crazy BAMF class and TH is way ahead of schedule

There is a tradition of greatness at the position of safety at the University of Texas. Those days are coming back.

ADVERTISEMENT