ADVERTISEMENT

Browns still searching for starting QB

madcow12

Jan 13, 2010
put the hate aside :) you are the GM...what do you do ? one more year ???

INDIANAPOLIS -- Despite an open acknowledgment that the Johnny Manziel, coach Mike Pettine said the organization is proud of the former Heisman Trophy winner for seeking treatment.

Pettine also admitted that Manziel might be facing serious issues that the Browns did not know about when they selected him in the first round of last year's draft.

"We had the same information everyone else in the league had," Pettine said. "It's easy to look back now and say, 'What did you miss?' You can interpret something a little bit differently now and it turns out to be a deeper-rooted thing than you thought."

Pettine, speaking Wednesday at the NFL scouting combine, confirmed an ESPN report that Manziel voluntarily entered treatment on Jan. 28 and wasn't forced by the team to do so.

"I just wanted to go visit him and see how he's doing, let him know that we're proud of him for the decision he made to go in," Pettine said. "Obviously he has our full support. ... He stepped up and said, 'I need help.'"

The Browns still don't have a firm idea when Manziel will return to the team, Pettine said, as treatment is a delicate process and can be lengthy.

The Browns are using the combine to evaluate quarterback options. The team isn't moving on from Manziel but clearly must address the position, either via free agency or the draft. Re-signing Brian Hoyer is among popular topics among Browns' brass, Pettine said.

"I'd be a lot more concerned if we had a game this Sunday," Pettine said.

Pettine isn't divulging the nature of his discussion with Manziel but points out, "He's in a much better place now than before he went in. He's very determined to come out of it in a much better way."

Manziel entered treatment to "figure out his value system," a source said on Feb. 3, suggesting Manziel knows the quarterback life and the Johnny Football persona can't co-exist. Manziel did not look ready to play in his two NFL starts, completing 13-of-26 passes for 112 yards and two interceptions.

Asked about Manziel's tipping point, Pettine said that's difficult to pinpoint but acknowledged Manziel struggled after hurting his hamstring in Week 16, leading to a missed treatment session the next week after a night of partying and posting several offseason pictures on Instagram from evenings out in Aspen, Houston and Miami.

"As we were getting into discussions on each player at the end of the year and the best path moving forward, he decided to put himself in," Pettine said. "I'm sure something occurred. I personally don't know what that exact point was."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12343751/cleveland-browns-unsure-johnny-manziel-future-seeking-starting-qb-mike-pettine-says

I still feel bad for the guy. I can easily see how getting ignored by your dream school, and having to settle for aggy can lead to all these personal problems.

Originally posted by Metcalf #2:
I still feel bad for the guy. I can easily see how getting ignored by your dream school, and having to settle for aggy can lead to all these personal problems.
Meh, he had originally settled on Oregon. He'd have been better off sticking with them. I do feel bad for him to go to the Browns. No one deserves that. Even the most immature F ups don't deserve being mired with the Cleveland Browns.

That being said, he should be working hard to lift that franchise and its players like Josh Gordon up......not dragging them down at parties.

he did nothing on the field last season for any team to absorb that contract. His off the field problems make it nearly impossible for a team to trade for him. Next season is do or die for the guy but good god, trying to prove yourself in Cleveland is nearly impossible.

1999 - Tim Couch (1-1) McNabb was taken 1 pick later
2000 - Spergon Wynn (6-17) Tom Brady was taken 16 picks later
2004 - Luke McCown (4-10) not much to say...took a flyer on a 4th round...the other two before didn't work
2005 - Charlie Frye (3-3) Kyle Orton was taken 3 picks after the Browns 4th round pick
2007 - Brady Quinn (1-22) panicked...two years after spending a 3rd and a 4th on a QB
2010 - Colt McCoy (3-21) same as 2004
2012 - Brandon Weeden (1-22) just a terrible pick...just terrible. An already aged QB with a good arm...Wilson/Foles/Cousins all 3rd and 4th round
2014 - Johnny Manziel (1-22) another panick pick...3rd times a charm for having the 22nd pick in the first round...panick, nothing else. Teddy Bridgewater is who I slotted for them and they passed. I was in the minority that thought Bridgewater was the best QB spec in this '14 draft...this might be one time (out of a million) that I could be right...

Hindsight is 20/20, but do the Browns (1) know what to look for or (2) do they even value the position?

Sheesh

Originally posted by weevilcatch:
1999 - Tim Couch (1-1) McNabb was taken 1 pick later
2000 - Spergon Wynn (6-17) Tom Brady was taken 16 picks later
2004 - Luke McCown (4-10) not much to say...took a flyer on a 4th round...the other two before didn't work
2005 - Charlie Frye (3-3) Kyle Orton was taken 3 picks after the Browns 4th round pick
2007 - Brady Quinn (1-22) panicked...two years after spending a 3rd and a 4th on a QB
2010 - Colt McCoy (3-21) same as 2004
2012 - Brandon Weeden (1-22) just a terrible pick...just terrible. An already aged QB with a good arm...Wilson/Foles/Cousins all 3rd and 4th round
2014 - Johnny Manziel (1-22) another panick pick...3rd times a charm for having the 22nd pick in the first round...panick, nothing else. Teddy Bridgewater is who I slotted for them and they passed. I was in the minority that thought Bridgewater was the best QB spec in this '14 draft...this might be one time (out of a million) that I could be right...

Hindsight is 20/20, but do the Browns (1) know what to look for or (2) do they even value the position?

Sheesh
6th offensive Coordinator in 6years... 13th in 17 years... 8th head coach since 1999. I mean... who can win like that?

Link

edit: added link
This post was edited on 2/19 1:56 PM by HornsUp128

At this point they're pot committed, pardon the pun. I'd put him on the field and see what happens. He either plays himself out of a job and you're no different than everyone else who missed on a pick due to misevaluation of potential, or he wins and you're a hero. The only way you look like a complete ass is by letting his shenanigans keep him off the field. Start covering shit up and play him.

ADVERTISEMENT