ADVERTISEMENT

BYU.....very very big game for Mack

tex-n-chgo

"Don't throw darts when u got no glass n ur house"
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Chicago
Another one of the "forks in the road" sorta game....MB cannot afford to lose this game...no way/no how. Forget all the other noise IMO...every single game leading up to OU are super critical for him and keeping the wolves at bay...he knows it as well as we do. OU speaks for itself, but he really needs to take an unbeaten team to Dallas...in a very very big way.

Interesting level of pressure cuz it's huge on the HC.

Originally posted by tex-n-chgo:
Another one of the "forks in the road" sorta game....MB cannot afford to lose this game...no way/no how. Forget all the other noise IMO...every single game leading up to OU are super critical for him and keeping the wolves at bay...he knows it as well as we do. OU speaks for itself, but he really needs to take an unbeaten team to Dallas...in a very very big way.

Agree, he needs to win them all leading up to OU and take care of business in Dallas, no excuses!

How can this game make or break our season, so what if OU loses before we
play them, does it mean that when they play us means nothing ? Stupid post.

Texas is going to kick the dog sh!t out of BYU. I wouldn't even be worried about this game.

I think every game is critical for Mack but from the way it sounds he will be back no matter what unless the wheels fall of like back in 2010.

I see where you are coming from but it's sad that a game against BYU is a very, very big game.

Let's be honest, if BYU is a very, very big game, then every game is a very, very big game.

I would not wager on MBTF if he loses to OU...not to mention a Baylor or TCU....pressure will be beyond belief. Needs a Conference Championship this year IMO...regardless of how brazen he appears to be. Pressure cooker whether he acts like it is or not.

Yeh, unfortunately everything is about Mack. Mack undoubtedly agrees with that. Isn't it amazing that it's hard to have confidence against a team that just lost to freaking Virginia when you are The University of Texas. speaks for itself.....

Mack looked stunned at halftime Saturday night.
This post was edited on 9/3 3:47 PM by skylakehorn

Under any other AD I would agree with you guys. But with DD as Mack's AD, no worry. Mack's feeling no pressure at all except self imposed. He knows he can lose a game before OU then to OU and still is bullet proof. Even a loss to Baylor or TCU and he's not going anywhere. Ain't nepotism great.

Beyond the agony of seeing losses to an Ole Miss, OU and Baylor or TCU.....MBTF loses any of that combination and he's toast...period.

DD ain't saving that ship fellas....take that to the bank and if he tried, he'd be shot just as quickly as MB.

Very very big game? Every game is a big game. "Fork in the road"? Gimme a break.

Originally posted by skylakehorn:

Yeh, unfortunately everything is about Mack. Mack undoubtedly agrees with that. Isn't it amazing that it's hard to have confidence against a team that just lost to freaking Virginia when you are The University of Texas. speaks for itself.....

I wouldn't put a lot into that loss to Virginia. It was in a pouring rainstorm and neither team could throw the ball. I'm not sure how good BYU is yet. They will be better than we think...

Originally posted by sharphorn:

How can this game make or break our season, so what if OU loses before we
play them, does it mean that when they play us means nothing ? Stupid post.
If Mack Brown has BCS hopes, he's not making the BCS losing to freaking BYU.

It's a very relevant post.

When Texas wins by 2-3 touchdowns the next game will be "the biggest ever" for Mack. Check back at the end of the year
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

I think it's a big game for Texas, but every game this season is big for the Horns. I don't think it's a big game for Mack. He's getting his paycheck no matter what. The 5-6 boosters holding the football program hostage still have several more goalpost moves in their pockets before we reach games that are "big for Mack" in terms of regular season record.

Lose to BYU somehow? Now it's really about Ole Miss. Beat BYU and lose to Ole Miss? Now it's really about beating OU. Lose to some combination of those three (even if one is OU), it's really about winning ten games. Only win 8 games, it's really about winning a bowl game. So, while I hope I'm wrong, I don't see any situation that's big for Mack in terms of finally being held accountable unless Texas somehow goes 7-6 / 8-5 and loses a bowl game, which I really don't think is realistic barring a serious rash of injuries at QB or something. Maybe it happens, but I hope not.

Based on that logic, the NMSU game was just as big or bigger.

Originally posted by bcroberts:
I see where you are coming from but it's sad that a game against BYU is a very, very big game.

Let's be honest, if BYU is a very, very big game, then every game is a very, very big game.

Every game IS a very, very big game.

No, you speak for yourself.

Let's be fair, there is a ton of reason to feel very confident Texas will whip BYU, and if you can't be excited about the play of the team in week 1, and acknowledge they have a chance to be very good, that's fine.

However, the simple fact that BYU lost to Virginia should give you confidence, and if it doesn't let's face it...you're not being objective in your analysis.

TBYU and Ole Miss have a 5% chance of beating Texas. I'm not sure why the entire offseason posters have been worried about this game. It's a nice warmup game, but nothing more.

Originally posted by 1JTB6806:

Let's be fair, there is a ton of reason to feel very confident Texas will whip BYU, and if you can't be excited about the play of the team in week 1, and acknowledge they have a chance to be very good, that's fine.

However, the simple fact that BYU lost to Virginia should give you confidence, and if it doesn't let's face it...you're not being objective in your analysis.
I could understand this sentiment had texas spread out their performance over 60 minutes instead of only 32 minutes.

So when you say being confident about their play, are you talking first half play or second half play. And if you don't understand that any good feeling you might get from the second half should clearly be moderated by the fact we VERY nearly went into halftime down 7 -0 against one of the worst teams in all of college football last year.

Sorry. I can take nothing from game 1. Either we suck or we are great. Or both. Again, nothing can be taken.

Play a complete game guys.

I agree that this game is huge for Mack. I think all of them up to OSU are huge for him this year. I hope the kids don't think of it that way.

Originally posted by chastok:
Originally posted by 1JTB6806:

I could understand this sentiment had texas spread out their performance over 60 minutes instead of only 32 minutes.

So when you say being confident about their play, are you talking first half play or second half play. And if you don't understand that any good feeling you might get from the second half should clearly be moderated by the fact we VERY nearly went into halftime down 7 -0 against one of the worst teams in all of college football last year.

Sorry. I can take nothing from game 1. Either we suck or we are great. Or both. Again, nothing can be taken.

Play a complete game guys.
The offense shouldn't be a concern for anyone in 2013 & their 3 turnovers were the cause for only being up 14-7 at half. The defense, the biggest question mark coming in to the year, played well for the whole game. You're right, it was just NMSU, but the D definitely looked better than last year.

And again, BYU lost to Virginia & I don't care what the weather was...they both played in it.

This is all just as important for Major. If he helps lead them back he'll be the favorite to take over. If the rebuilding project misses the mark Major will have to take a job elsewhere IMO.

All games are important, but no game by itself is critical.

A lot of people keep saying that the OU game is a game we NEED to win, but the reality is that Mack loses to OU but wins every other game en route to a BCS bowl game, this season will meet or exceed expectations.

I think there are very few people who think we are a title caliber team this year. We could be one, but I don't think we are Alabama, where it's almost assumed that we should have a shot at a title.

This Texas team has enough slack to lose 1, maybe 2 games and have no one get fired. No matter what game.

I think we will be favored in every game we play this season, but I don't think we're good enough to not slip up at least once.

Originally posted by DizzG:
When Texas wins by 2-3 touchdowns the next game will be "the biggest ever" for Mack. Check back at the end of the year

And when he gets destroyed by OU, Dizz will be here to tell us to take it in the face again. Haters we will be.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by PBR_StreetGang:
I think it's a big game for Texas, but every game this season is big for the Horns. I don't think it's a big game for Mack. He's getting his paycheck no matter what.
Sure he's getting his paycheck no matter what. It's called a contract. Every college football coach in America has one and because they do, they're all getting paychecks for coaching this week too.

As has been posted, every game is big this year. Indeed, all indications are that if we do not win the conference this year and beat OU, he is gone.

Originally posted by viejid:

A lot of people keep saying that the OU game is a game we NEED to win, but the reality is that Mack loses to OU but wins every other game en route to a BCS bowl game, this season will meet or exceed expectations.

I think there are very few people who think we are a title caliber team this year. We could be one, but I don't think we are Alabama, where it's almost assumed that we should have a shot at a title.

This Texas team has enough slack to lose 1, maybe 2 games and have no one get fired. No matter what game.

I think we will be favored in every game we play this season, but I don't think we're good enough to not slip up at least once.
Well said.

Originally posted by viejid:
I disagree. If Mack loses to an underdog, that's probably the season and maybe his job.

Are we to assume a loss in Provo wouldn't be viewed as critical all the way around?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT