ADVERTISEMENT

Calls for Death Penalty at North Carolina?

Death Penalty for UNC basketball? Hilarious! That would be like the NFL saying the Cowboys can't play one year, or the NBA saying the Lakers or Knicks can't play. This will NEVER happen. Sanctions and scholarship limits, possibly (maybe even likely) but never the death penalty.

Reactions: diadevic and westx
I've said this before and I'll say it again I'm against the death penalty. When the NCAA gave the death penalty to SMU fb in 1987 they realized that it was to severe and they will never do it again. It took SMU fb at least 20 years to recover from it. It affects the university completely and it would also do damage to the ACC. SMU's death penalty was the beginning of the end for the SWC. You don't have to go that far.

Expect a slap on the wrist. UNC is basketball royalty, and money means more than morality for the NCAA.

Nothing is going to happen to men's basketball. The no show classes were run through an academic unit not athletics. Non student athletes were enrolled in the classes. Cant get them on an impermissible benefits for that one. The only NCAA violations that have occurred are with women's basketball. They had academic support staff writing papers and changing grades.

Nothing is going to happen to men's basketball. The no show classes were run through an academic unit not athletics. Non student athletes were enrolled in the classes. Cant get them on an impermissible benefits for that one. The only NCAA violations that have occurred are with women's basketball. They had academic support staff writing papers and changing grades.
That's how I see it as well. If regular students were in these classes to I don't see how you can punish the basketball team. We can argue weather it's right or ethical but nothing you can punish the team for. I could see maybe a fine for the university but that's about it.

Is this really just about the rift in the ACC? Maryland bolts the conference, and then their President takes an unprecedented shot at a former rival? Maybe wishful thinking, but does this show that the divide between football schools (FSU, Clemson, Ga.Tech) vs. BBall (UNC and Duke) is real? I have no confidence in our conference leadership, but go make something happen!

I don't mean to highjack the thread, but something about you mentioning women's bb at UNC. I don't know if there has ever been a real scandal concerning women's athletics. I've always had the impression that the graduation rates among female athletes was outstanding. I've never heard of recruiting scandals either. Be interesting to see how this scandal involving women's bb at UNC plays out.

Women's college athletics probably haven't had many scandals because nobody cares whether they win or lose. They just have to satisfy Title IX. They have succeeded in destroying minor men's sports at the college level.

Wait, Marcus Camby taking money from an agent and Derrick Rose cheating on his SAT in HS is worse than 20+ years of institutionalized academic fraud to keep over 1000 athletes eligible?
Every place Calipari worked ended up on probation. You cited 2 examples. I have a feeling there are many more. Where did you get the 1000 number?

Every place Calipari worked ended up on probation. You cited 2 examples. I have a feeling there are many more. Where did you get the 1000 number?
The 1000 came from the Wanstien report. It went on for over 20 years, how many players did you think it would be.

Oh and UMass wasn't put on probation, they just had to vacate games Camby played in after he took money from an agent. Where do you get your every place number?

This is why UNC will skate, the average fan cares more about their bias than they do UNC cheating. You seriously think 1 player taking money from an agent and 1 player cheating on his SAT is worse than verified, admitted to, 2 decades of academic fraud. That's OK but you better not cheat on your college entrance exam in HS.

Reactions: pharm727
The 1000 came from the Wanstien report. It went on for over 20 years, how many players did you think it would be.

Oh and UMass wasn't put on probation, they just had to vacate games Camby played in after he took money from an agent. Where do you get your every place number?

This is why UNC will skate, the average fan cares more about their bias than they do UNC cheating. You seriously think 1 player taking money from an agent and 1 player cheating on his SAT is worse than verified, admitted to, 2 decades of academic fraud. That's OK but you better not cheat on your college entrance exam in HS.

For example, in 1996, a 35-2 University of Massachusetts team coached by John Calipari made it all the way to the Final Four. A year later, because of a tangled scandal involving Marcus Camby, jewelry, and hookers, the NCAA stripped UMass of its tournament victories, forced the school to pay back $151,617 in tournament revenues, and expunged the team's accomplishments from the official record book. Then, in 2008, a 38-2 Memphis team coached by John Calipari made it all the way to the championship game. A year later, because of a tangled scandal involving papier-mâché SAT scores, the NCAA stripped Memphis of its tournament victories, forced the school to pay back more than $500,000 in tournament revenues, and expunged the team's accomplishments from the official record book

Forgive me for equating repayment of over $650K, forfeiture of two Final 4 appearance, and forfeiture of over 70 victories with probation. You got me there. So let me rephrase - every place that Calipari has been head coach has finished with ZERO recognized wins and FORFEITED all tournament revenue in Calipari's final year. Every. Single. Place. I have no doubt that he is sleaziest, most corrupt coach in all of sport, and there aren't just "two" incidences.

In no way am I excusing UNC - I'm the one who originated this thread!

For example, in 1996, a 35-2 University of Massachusetts team coached by John Calipari made it all the way to the Final Four. A year later, because of a tangled scandal involving Marcus Camby, jewelry, and hookers, the NCAA stripped UMass of its tournament victories, forced the school to pay back $151,617 in tournament revenues, and expunged the team's accomplishments from the official record book. Then, in 2008, a 38-2 Memphis team coached by John Calipari made it all the way to the championship game. A year later, because of a tangled scandal involving papier-mâché SAT scores, the NCAA stripped Memphis of its tournament victories, forced the school to pay back more than $500,000 in tournament revenues, and expunged the team's accomplishments from the official record book

Forgive me for equating repayment of over $650K, forfeiture of two Final 4 appearance, and forfeiture of over 70 victories with probation. You got me there. So let me rephrase - every place that Calipari has been head coach has finished with ZERO recognized wins and FORFEITED all tournament revenue in Calipari's final year. Every. Single. Place. I have no doubt that he is sleaziest, most corrupt coach in all of sport, and there aren't just "two" incidences.

In no way am I excusing UNC - I'm the one who originated this thread!
They vacated games and forfeited money because Marcus Camby took money from an agent and Derrick Rose cheated on his SAT. If you think that is worse than a school organizing and pushing athletes into fake classes that they created for over 20 years, we'll I guess we're just gonna have to agree to disagree.

So every single place has been UMass and Memphis and due to Camby taking money from an agent and Rose's SAT. What are the other incidences? You seem to be very vague about everything. What did Calipari specifically do? How is whatever that is worse than 20+ years of institutionalized academic fraud?

Last edited:
Reactions: pharm727
UK has not been put on probation for Coach Cal, your statement that every school he has coached at has been put on probation is incorrect. What does coach Cal have to do with UNC's academic corruption, why even try to compare the two?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT