ADVERTISEMENT

Chances in the SEC

hookem777

Dec 13, 2011
Hey guys, havent posted on here in awhile and hope everyone is doing well! Actually visting Austin for a concert in August. First time ive been back since school days in 07.

With that said who actually belives we can COMEPETE in the SEC. Not 7 win seasons with a upset here and there but actually compete for a championship? If you think we can, how long do you think it takes?

I was listening to a Pod cast about this and ill use a quote from that.." just because you can afford to be in the rich neighborhood, doesn't mean you should live there. Maybe you enjoy the smaller house and neighborhood but have some disposable income. Maybe some family vacations..some fun money..?

I hope we come in and compete. I hope our recruiting takes a much needed boost. I'm excited to get to play aggie again and trash talk about the on the field instead of the past. I'm excited about getting to play my wife's school Tennessee every now and then.

Im also stoked about this year in what MAY be our final year in the big 12..

Anyways hope to hear yalls thoughts, have a good rest of the offseason because football is here!!

Hook'em

Reactions: freeper
Depends on what we look like this year. If Sark does what I think he can do, Big 12 championship appearance, maybe even better, and recruiting will pickup, and we’ll be riding a big wave of momentum into the SEC.

If we still look like we have been, it could take a few years. I still wouldn’t count us out though. Remember when Nebraska was Alabama? Yeah we weren’t supposed to compete with them, either. All we did was take the first Big 12 championship from them, and proceed to own them until they ran away crying.

Depends on what we look like this year. If Sark does what I think he can do, Big 12 championship appearance, maybe even better, and recruiting will pickup, and we’ll be riding a big wave of momentum into the SEC.

If we still look like we have been, it could take a few years. I still wouldn’t count us out though. Remember when Nebraska was Alabama? Yeah we weren’t supposed to compete with them, either. All we did was take the first Big 12 championship from them, and proceed to own them until they ran away crying

Oh, and welcome back btw.
Thanks man!

Reactions: Metcalf #2

If we still look like we have been, it could take a few years. I still wouldn’t count us out though. Remember when Nebraska was Alabama? Yeah we weren’t supposed to compete with them, either. All we did was take the first Big 12 championship from them, and proceed to own them until they ran away crying.
Fair.

How we'll we do in the SEC early will depend on next year, and perhaps the year after. Mark my words, we will be in the SEC before 2025. There's too much money at stake for us not to be. Mickey mouse has set this in motion. It's done.

Brian Bosworth looks like a genius right now-- NCAA wise of course-- he hated them-' he said they were leaches and unjust-- I used to not be able to stand that dude-- but it turns out that he was right.

Reactions: hookem777
Fair.

How we'll we do in the SEC early will depend on next year, and perhaps the year after. Mark my words, we will be in the SEC before 2025. There's too much money at stake for us not to be. Mickey mouse has set this in motion. It's done.

Brian Bosworth looks like a genius right now-- NCAA wise of course-- he hated them-' he said they were leaches and unjust-- I used to not be able to stand that dude-- but it turns out that he was right.
i personally think this is our last year in the big 12. we will pay the fines and leave...to many years in the big12 we will lose recruits who KNOW the big12 is breaking up.

Fair.

Yeah my mindset is that we’re in SEC in 2022. I just don’t see us hanging around a dead league that long. Mickey, Minnie, hell maybe even Goofy won’t let happen. Too much money to be made on the other side of the fence. Might as well start making it.

I’m still not crazy about this move. Think it could be bad for college football. But, nothing I can do about it. Might as well strap up and see what happens. Sure will be interesting if nothing else.

Reactions: freeper
Metcalf, that is what I see as the #1 issue right now.......WILL we strap up and fight fire with fire or will we take that “holier than thou” high Road?

we ought to be the leader in this brave new NIL world on a level that leaves even Bama gasping for air, but for some damned reason we stumbled out of the gate.

Dust maker or dust eater.........our choice!

I think Texas will build fast in the SEC. It truly is built on the offensive and defensive lines first and works out from there. I honestly think Texas is more built right now for the SEC. I still think they are going to have to recruit a bit differently but Sark should know how to do that. OU is soft defensively and will need to recruit a different type of athlete all the way around. What they do works in the Big 12 but I don't think it will work WEEK TO WEEK. That is the one thing that neither program has had to do very much of. There is 1 game both OU and Texas have to play where they will line up against talent that is compared to theirs...each other. Everyone other team on your schedule has FAR less talent. The teams in the SEC will match you MOST weeks and have a shot to knock you off so you have to bring your A game. Texas and OU had some B or C games the past few years and were still able to win. That won't be the case moving forward. Again, both you will take your recruiting up a notch. I know both of you will think you recruit just fine right now, and you do. But you will be looking for different types of players. When Sumlin was at A&M he recruited well, but it was the wrong players,. I DO think Jimbo has built this the right way. He is really getting the players to compete.

I look forward to the games. This conference is packed with great games each week and you will enjoy that part. You don't get excited for KState, Kansas, West Virginia, Tech, Baylor, etc because they aren't as talented. You will go into stadiums now that the environment is crazy each week. I've been to every Big 12 venue and it isn't the same...not one of them. OU had the best environment in the Big 12 as far as home field. I do think A&M has done a lot the right way to start building much better, and I don't think it is the same as when we left. It will be fun to go at each other even more now, so football season will be much better. Welcome and I look forward to my Saturdays even more now.

It’s really hard to say. Let’s say we have to wait 4 years to get to the SEC, because as of right now that is the case. The SEC could look a lot different than it does today. Nick Saban will be 74. He still going to be at Alabama? Maybe, maybe not. If he is he will certainly be near the end.
Dan Mullen has been flirting with the NFL the last couple years. He’s going to be at Florida 4 years from now?

we know what the SEC is today…. A lot of unknowns what it will look like when we get there.

Texas is lagging in oline recruiting. I hear Xavier worthy and Kieland Robinson have another gear with elite speed so we have something we didn't have last year.

We will do very well in basketball and baseball first year. May be favorites to win the sec in those 2 in 2022. Overall we will win the most sec titles across all sports in year 1. How do I know? We just won the Directors Cup.

What they do works in the Big 12 but I don't think it will work WEEK TO WEEK.
BBA....all respect, as you seem to be a sane aggy which I mean as a compliment. This week to week deal you are referring to goes both ways.....are yall in the mighty secsecsec ready to defend ....week after week after week what OU and UT bring on offense as well as Bama? Do y'all think only having to play 3 tough teams a season is going to prepare you for what lays ahead? In the past you get at least 5 "cant possibly lose" games a year.I suspect that will now change. No more OOC creame puffs to fatten up on. I have no idea what the scheduling will be in the future, but I bet it gets tougher for ALL of us.

I agree that Bama and LSU will be tough. We will see what lies ahead together. Maybe we do well maybe we dont. Time will tell.....

Reactions: Belldozer1
Hey guys, havent posted on here in awhile and hope everyone is doing well! Actually visting Austin for a concert in August. First time ive been back since school days in 07.

With that said who actually belives we can COMEPETE in the SEC. Not 7 win seasons with a upset here and there but actually compete for a championship? If you think we can, how long do you think it takes?

I was listening to a Pod cast about this and ill use a quote from that.." just because you can afford to be in the rich neighborhood, doesn't mean you should live there. Maybe you enjoy the smaller house and neighborhood but have some disposable income. Maybe some family vacations..some fun money..?

I hope we come in and compete. I hope our recruiting takes a much needed boost. I'm excited to get to play aggie again and trash talk about the on the field instead of the past. I'm excited about getting to play my wife's school Tennessee every now and then.

Im also stoked about this year in what MAY be our final year in the big 12..

Anyways hope to hear yalls thoughts, have a good rest of the offseason because football is here!!

Hook'em
If Sarkisian doesn't work out for us it will be a disaster for us.

we are 2/7 against TCU and were 2/7 against OSU.

WV has a winning record against us

ISU could beat us for the 3rd year in a row. And speaking of ISU if they beat IA next month it will prove that ISU is for real and a genuine playoff contender. Btw they return like 96% of their offensive production and one of the best lb's in the country.

Although we blew them out last year KSU is always tough game

A lousy TT team scored 56 points against us last year

We had to kick a fg on the last play of the game to beat KS in Austin 2 years ago.

Finally were 2/6 against OK.

Sarkisian w/l % was no better than Herman's. If the Big XII is so lousy how come we only have 3 titles in 25 years? We will be at best a 7/8 win team in the SEC. We'll get blown out at least once a year. We mocked the cow college for going to the SEC and before that AR but we'll end up being no better than them AR, MO, and SC. Just getting a bigger paycheck.

Our bmd love to pound their chest like Tarzan and scream were TX! Were a national name! Everybody knows us! We have our own network! Let me tell you the truth about something. The lhn is no different than ND's contract with NBC it's done nothing for us on the fb field.

And if we get our ass kicked in fb when we go to the SEC we will deserve it and have no one but ourselves to blame. And ESPN and the SEC are not through raiding. Very soon they'll get tOSU and MI. Lastly this NIL is going to destroy college fb and everything that makes it so much better than the NFL. Why am I the only on here who's angered that Bryce Young and JT Tuimolau could get paid close to a million without playing a game.

TRUTH

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SPRR80

ISU could beat us for the 3rd year in a row. And speaking of ISU if they beat IA next month it will prove that ISU is for real and a genuine playoff contender. Btw they return like 96% of their offensive production and one of the best lb's in the country.

We had to kick a fg on the last play of the game to beat KS in Austin 2 years ago.

Sarkisian w/l % was no better than Herman's. If the Big XII is so lousy how come we only have 3 titles in 25 years? We will be at best a 7/8 win team in the SEC. We'll get blown out at least once a year. We mocked the cow college for going to the SEC and before that AR but we'll end up being no better than them AR, MO, and SC. Just getting a bigger paycheck.

Our bmd love to pound their chest like Tarzan and scream were TX! Were a national name! Everybody knows us! We have our own network! Let me tell you the truth about something. The lhn is no different than ND's contract with NBC it's done nothing for us on the fb field.

And if we get our ass kicked in fb when we go to the SEC we will deserve it and have no one but ourselves to blame for it. And ESPN and the SEC are not through raiding. Very soon they'll get tOSU and MI. Lastly this NIL is going to destroy college fb and everything that makes it so much better than the NFL. Why am I the only on here who's angered that Bryce Young and JT Tuimolau could get paid close to a million without playing a game.

TRUTH
You live on the west side of the san andreas fault?

• Haha
Reactions: GuaranteedFresh!
You live on the west side of the san andreas fault?
Is that all you got? And while OK has been to the playoffs 4x and lost a close game to GA, AL and LSU humiliated OK and could have 90 on them if they wanted. Oh and I forgot in the other one they got thumped by Clemson. I'm going to tell it like it is to you sooners. You're no different than RC Slocum's aggie teams at the end of the SWC nothing more than a good, but by no means great team in a lousy conference. And when you go against SEC defenses you sooners can kiss your 60 point 600 yard games goodbye.

You live on the west side side of the San Andreas fault? Is that all you got for trash taking? You need to get in another line of work. Ftr I live in Sacramento a considerable diatance east of the San Andreas Fault.

Is that all you got? And while OK has been to the playoffs 4x and lost a close game to GA, AL and LSU humiliated OK and could have 90 on them if they wanted. Oh and I forgot in the other one they got thumped by Clemson. I'm going to tell it like it is to you sooners. You're no different than RC Slocum's aggie teams at the end of the SWC nothing more than a good, but by no means great team in a lousy conference. And when you go against SEC defenses you sooners can kiss your 60 point 600 yard games goodbye.

You live on the west side side of the San Andreas fault? Is that all you got for trash taking? You need to get in another line of work. Ftr I live in Sacramento a considerable diatance east of the San Andreas Fault.
You aint been payin much attention son. Sooners are inline to knock it out of park in the sec today. You are right though, horns have a mountain to climb. Good luck. 😁

Just to throw this out there, having to bring our A game every week is nothing new. Every team in our conference has always treated us like their Super Bowl. I often said if aggy would play every game the way they played us, they would’ve been a national power long ago.

Reactions: ShowMeHorns
Checks last Cotton bowl game box score. Hmm, OU put 55 points and 685 yards on Florida? That can’t be right according to outthereincali.

Keep in mind both aggy and Mizzou’s best SEC seasons were with rosters built for the Big 12.

Last edited:
Just to throw this out there, having to bring our A game every week is nothing new. Every team in our conference has always treated us like their Super Bowl. I often said if aggy would play every game the way they played us, they would’ve been a national power long ago.
Agreed, but they don't have the talent to make it happen. Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, Florida and a pretty good Ole Miss team will ALL want to kick your ass as well will bring more talent with them then Ok State, TCU, Iowa St, and yes even OU. The last 3 years OU would have finished no higher than 5th in the SEC in recruiting and 2020 they would have finished 8th...in the SEC. Texas would have finished 6th, 6th and 3rd. The two of you go 1 and 2 in the Big 12 while the rest of the Big 12 finished outside of the top 20 most every year where many times there are 7-8 teams inside the top 20 in recruiting. That is why I'm saying week in and week out. You can't out talent people anymore. You have to outplay them, and it's a hell of a lot more physical than the Big 12 each week. I'm not putting A&M in any category, but I'm just telling you after being a part of it and watching each week it's a blood bath.

Agreed, but they don't have the talent to make it happen. Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, A&M, Florida and a pretty good Ole Miss team will ALL want to kick your ass as well will bring more talent with them then Ok State, TCU, Iowa St, and yes even OU. The last 3 years OU would have finished no higher than 5th in the SEC in recruiting and 2020 they would have finished 8th...in the SEC. Texas would have finished 6th, 6th and 3rd. The two of you go 1 and 2 in the Big 12 while the rest of the Big 12 finished outside of the top 20 most every year where many times there are 7-8 teams inside the top 20 in recruiting. That is why I'm saying week in and week out. You can't out talent people anymore. You have to outplay them, and it's a hell of a lot more physical than the Big 12 each week. I'm not putting A&M in any category, but I'm just telling you after being a part of it and watching each week it's a blood bath.
😁 Bloodbath for aggy. We don't need the history of the sec. Sooners are on the way.

Yeah but all those SEC teams won’t be circling us on the calendar like the Big 12 teams did. Most have their own big rivalries to worry about, and therefore won’t have time to save their best for Texas.

Reactions: JDCPAgolferHorn
I think Texas will build fast in the SEC. It truly is built on the offensive and defensive lines first and works out from there. I honestly think Texas is more built right now for the SEC. I still think they are going to have to recruit a bit differently but Sark should know how to do that. OU is soft defensively and will need to recruit a different type of athlete all the way around. What they do works in the Big 12 but I don't think it will work WEEK TO WEEK. That is the one thing that neither program has had to do very much of. There is 1 game both OU and Texas have to play where they will line up against talent that is compared to theirs...each other. Everyone other team on your schedule has FAR less talent. The teams in the SEC will match you MOST weeks and have a shot to knock you off so you have to bring your A game. Texas and OU had some B or C games the past few years and were still able to win. That won't be the case moving forward. Again, both you will take your recruiting up a notch. I know both of you will think you recruit just fine right now, and you do. But you will be looking for different types of players. When Sumlin was at A&M he recruited well, but it was the wrong players,. I DO think Jimbo has built this the right way. He is really getting the players to compete.

I look forward to the games. This conference is packed with great games each week and you will enjoy that part. You don't get excited for KState, Kansas, West Virginia, Tech, Baylor, etc because they aren't as talented. You will go into stadiums now that the environment is crazy each week. I've been to every Big 12 venue and it isn't the same...not one of them. OU had the best environment in the Big 12 as far as home field. I do think A&M has done a lot the right way to start building much better, and I don't think it is the same as when we left. It will be fun to go at each other even more now, so football season will be much better. Welcome and I look forward to my Saturdays even more now.
I'm predicting OU comes in and resumes spanking Aggie from the get go. You struggled mightily in the Big 12 and have struggled mightily in the SEC. Not all teams follow your business model. I don't recall that Florida defense being decimated when OU played them last year and they were soft as butter. Weren't they conference champs or something Chucklz

The DLs week in and week out will scare me. Sark is fully aware of what’s in store.

And if we get our ass kicked in fb when we go to the SEC we will deserve it and have no one but ourselves to blame. And ESPN and the SEC are not through raiding. Very soon they'll get tOSU and MI. Lastly this NIL is going to destroy college fb and everything that makes it so much better than the NFL. Why am I the only on here who's angered that Bryce Young and JT Tuimolau could get paid close to a million without playing a game.

TRUTH
Geez man. Your negativity and glass half empty post(s) are dripping with liberalism and wokeness bleeding over into a UT sports bulletin board.

You should check out “30 steps to become a professional life sucker”. You’d be president of the club.

TRUTH
Let me guess, winning and being better than other teams in your conference offends you?

ADVERTISEMENT