ADVERTISEMENT

Chavis NCAA rules violations?

utisdabomb12

Aug 12, 2013
From December 30 in the Music City Bowl where his late-game LSU defense collapsed once more while his bags were packed for Texas A&M, until February 13 when he supposedly officially became the savior of the worst defense in the SEC, exactly who and where was John Chavis?
Chavis claims he was a Nowhere Man sitting in his nowhere land making all his nowhere plans for nobody.
That's the former Tigers' defensive coordinator story and he's sticking to it. He's trying to not tap in to the millions he collected from LSU the last six seasons to pay the school's $400,000 contract buyout so he could become the toast of College Station.
He's trying to twist the calendar every way possible. First, he turned in his LSU resignation on Jan. 5 and his lawsuit against LSU claims his last day on the LSU payroll was Feb. 4.
Those dates give Chavis the required 30-day notice from LSU so he or Texas A&M don't have to pay the buyout. By not being off the LSU payroll until after Jan. 31, it would also prevent him or the Aggies from paying the buyout.
Yet, there are pictures of Chavis wearing Texas A&M gear while recruiting that hit the Internet Jan. 15 and Jan. 23. In the Jan. 23 photo, Chavis, dressed in a Texas A&M coaching pullover, is giving the camera two "thumbs up" while flanking Northeast Oklahoma Jr. College cornerback Justin Martin along with Aggies' defensive back coach Terry Joseph. Martin, ironically, ended up signing with Tennessee where Chavis was D-coordinator from 1995-2008 before coming to LSU.
The caption of the picture, which first appeared on a Facebook site called Juco Football Frenzy (which apparently no longer exists), reads, "Justin Martin was just visited by Texas A&M D Coord John Chavis & DB coach Terry Joseph."
Martin confirmed in another story to 247Sports that Chavis and Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin gave him their best sales pitch in his official visit to College Station.
Also in a Jan. 16 NOLA. com story, Hahnville linebacker Dwaine Thomas, who had committed to Louisiana-Lafayette, confirmed that he had scheduled a visit to Texas A&M after Chavis identified him as a prospect he wanted a closer look at. Thomas committed to A&M on his official visit and signed with the Aggies.
Consider all that, and the fact that NCAA rules state only full-time staff members are allowed to recruit.
So apply the rule to the picture and what Chavis is saying about not being on the A&M payroll until Feb. 13 and it screams RULES VIOLATION.
It seems pretty black and white. Or maroon and white.
And what was Texas A&M coach Kevin Sumlin and staff telling the defensive recruits they were chasing all through January until signing day? You can bet they were all chirping, "We've got John Chavis as our defensive coordinator, we're just waiting to announce it. Read the papers. He's not with LSU anymore. He's with us."
Chavis' lawsuit against LSU looks like it has as many holes as his third-down defense. He even included A&M in the lawsuit, because A&M promised him it would take care of any of his monetary contractual obligations to LSU.
LSU is countering Chavis' suit with a suit, saying he breached his contract, which had a year remaining, by talking with Texas A&M about the job vacancy without receiving permission.
Of course, lawyers will be lawyers. So LSU's legal team is piling on claiming the school is entitled to damages because Chavis' hasty exit hurt LSU's reputation. And if LSU doesn't receive the buyout, the lawyers want compensation on negative impact of ticket sales, potential loss of recruits, moving expenses for new LSU D-coordinator Kevin Steele from Alabama and attorneys' fee LSU paid to negotiate Steele's contract.
Is that all? What about throwing in gas money for new Tigers' defensive line coach Ed Orgeron to drive his Hummer from his Mandeville home to LSU to sign his contract ?
LSU fans might even get inspired to get in on the legal pettiness.
They should sue Chavis for the emotional distress they suffered last season watching Alabama drive 55 yards in 50 seconds for the game-tying field goal that allowed the Crimson Tide to win 20-13 in overtime.
Or maybe they can cite negligence of the Tigers' failure to stop the league's best read-option quarterbacks a year ago, such as Mississippi State's Dak Prescott and Auburn's Nick Marshall. They led the Bulldogs and Tigers to victories over LSU while sparking offenses that gained 570 and 566 yards respectively.
Or maybe they file for mental anguish watching LSU give up 449 yards and a game-winning field goal following a 71-yard drive by Notre Dame in the Music City Bowl.
After that loss, when Chavis met with the media postgame for the first time all season, he refused to talk about the A&M rumors. When asked one last time if he was going to be LSU's defensive coordinator next year, he replied, "You know, I said three or four times I wasn't going to talk about that. I want to be nice, you know, but at some point, I can be an ugly ass. . ."
Guess we've reached that point.

Link

Trying the case in the media before getting the case moved back to La. Is that really needed? Chavis could have an airtight case and still wouldn't win in front of a La. jury. Wonder if this is more setting the stage for adding on once the case is moved to La.

This is about as pointless as the Oklahoma St. handling of Wickline.

These schools need to move on and get over it.

Originally posted by AnimalMother:
This is about as pointless as the Oklahoma St. handling of Wickline.

These schools need to move on and get over it.
Why the change of tune? I thought y'all had this as a slam dunk for Chavis/no harm no foul. This post seems a little more on edge than everything I've read on here from Aggy fans.

As for the article, the writer seems a bit butt-hurt. But, If TAMU has his back they should have payed it and moved on. If his last day on the job was Feb 4th and he was not an official employee of TAMU when he was talking to these kids in January, he committed a recruiting violation. I don't see the win for Aggy in this.

This post was edited on 3/3 9:57 AM by TexExSpur

I'm not sure what you mean.

My point is that Okie Lite and LSU look cheap trying to haggle over 400-600K.

I guess there is butt hurt when a coach leaves for another school in the same conference.

Regardless, LSU feels like they are owed a buyout and so does Ok. St. so looks like a bunch of lawyers will make a lot of $$$ sorting it out.

LSU is coming after more than 400k if that article rings true.

No similarities in the end game.

OSU has a dig with Wickline, Texas isn't involved. The Wickline deal is comical because the verbiage used in his contract is broad and open to interpretation to the point that all he has to do is game plan and he is calling plays, they won't win.

The Chavis deal may very well lead to recruiting violations...

This post was edited on 3/3 10:09 AM by TexExSpur

While it's certainly funny, especially with the added recruiting violation component, I agree this all amounts to nothing other than a few laughs at aggy's expense. There are certainly no shortage of those. The supposed recruiting violation that occurred likely won't even register on the NCAA's radar, and if it does won't warrant anything other than a warning. Agree with the above the only true winners will be the lawyers.

I'm not sure what you mean.

I guess there is butt hurt when a coach leaves for another school in the same conference.

Regardless, LSU feels like they are owed a buyout and so does Ok. St. so looks like a bunch of lawyers will make a lot of $$$ sorting it out.
I guess there is butthurt when a coach is still employed and paid by one school yet is off recruiting for another that he doesn't work for at that point.... I would be pissed if I were LSU and a coach on the payroll was off recruiting illegally for another school in my own conference/division....

The $$ in this is going to take a back seat to the recruiting violations for aggys in the end.... but I think LSU still wins with the suit simply due to Chavis STILL being a paid employee yet doing what he was doing for a&m.... sounds like a serious breach of contract seeing as how he was still a university employee, even if he had put in his 30 day notice....

As for the Texas/Wickline deal - totally different situation/issue.. not sure why you even tried to compare the 2.........

As if recruiting violations matter anymore.

Either Chavis or ATM will likely end up paying some amount, but if you're looking for any type of sanctions for anything Chavis has done at ATM...well, expect those sanctions to be personally handed out by the tooth fairy and easter bunny.

Originally posted by drizzew:
As if recruiting violations matter anymore.

Either Chavis or ATM will likely end up paying some amount, but if you're looking for any type of sanctions for anything Chavis has done at ATM...well, expect those sanctions to be personally handed out by the tooth fairy and easter bunny.
While I agree with you that Chavis has about zero chance of winning this case. If he did, it would basically be an admission that he and aggy committed recruiting violation.

I am not sure you guys fully understand how SEC recruiting works, but I promise you that ever other member of the conference would call the NCAA and raise hell.

Actually, you aggys are the ones who are coming off "cheap" in this. The man was working for you in January. Pay the buyout, dishonest lightweights.

Actually, you aggys are the ones who are coming off "cheap" in this. The man was working for you in January. Pay the buyout, dishonest lightweights.

Yes but Texas isnt cheap for bailing out Wickline. LOL

But but but, of course he was calling the plays.

Well, actually maybe he was. How else can you explain scoring 10 pts or less in 5 games in this era of video game offensive stats.

Well, actually maybe he was. How else can you explain scoring 10 pts or less in 5 games in this era of video game offensive stats.
Nice dishonest deflection per usual. We don't owe money. You lying cheapskates do.

Teams actually dont owe the buyout, the coach does. The teams typically do pay the buyout.

Ultimately, TAMU will pay the buyout, if owed, not Chavis.

Just curious, why isnt UT cheap for not paying Wickline's buyout? OK. St. sued him, are you guys leaving him to hang out to dry?
This post was edited on 3/3 11:57 AM by AnimalMother

What exactly would the recruiting violation be? Something along the lines of A&M having an impermissible recruiter? Looks to me like they just tried to fudge the hire date to avoid the buy out. Would be funny if it resulted in recruiting violations but honestly it's a pretty weak argument.

Texas isn't contractually obligated to pay Wickline's buyout.

Can you provide any proof that he wasn't calling plays?

Yes. Wickline may be the worst playcaller in history, but it doesn't mean he wasn't calling plays
The difference in our cases is that Wickline argument does implicate him in recruiting violation. While Chavis is fully embracing his inner aggy by doing the exact opposite.

Aggy shouldn't pay this because it makes them look cheap. They should pay it because it makes them look stupid.

This post was edited on 3/3 12:34 PM by dj701919

Originally posted by horn01:
What exactly would the recruiting violation be? Something along the lines of A&M having an impermissible recruiter? Looks to me like they just tried to fudge the hire date to avoid the buy out. Would be funny if it resulted in recruiting violations but honestly it's a pretty weak argument.
Would you want to risk sanctions on a case that you have very little chance of winning? The rule says that you can't be employee by one school and recruit for another. You can spend about 30 seconds on Google and prove that Chavis was not only recruiting for aggy but had an office in their facility during January. Wouldn't that directly contradict his claim that he was still employed by LSU until February 4th and not an aggy employee until February 13th?

Originally posted by Scholz:
We don't owe money. You lying cheapskates do.
Ahem...it hasn't been determined one way or the other whether you owe money or not.

If it's discovered Wickline failed to call plays for Texas, you will owe money to OSU. As I understand it.

Originally posted by MiccoMacey:
Originally posted by Scholz:
We don't owe money. You lying cheapskates do.
Ahem...it hasn't been determined one way or the other whether you owe money or not.

If it's discovered Wickline failed to call plays for Texas, you will owe money to OSU. As I understand it.
I can't find anything that indicates that Texas is on the hook for Wickline's buyout. In addition, this case is going to center around OSU proving that Coach Wickline did not call a sufficient enough percentage of plays to meet the standard of playcalling duties. I am not sure what they plan to enter into evidence that could possibly provide as proof that Coach Wickline was not actively involved in calling plays.

How do you explain blowouts such as 59-0 or 77-0 in this "video game stats" era?>

That's incorrect Sooner. Texas is not even listed in the suit. If Wickline were to lose and Texas chose to cover his bill, that's completely up to Texas. The AD said they would not get involved.

How do you explain blowouts such as 59-0 or 77-0 in this "video game stats" era?>

All 5 of your games being held under 10 pts are far worse that being shutout by Bama on the road, specifically at home to BYU and BU.

Teams actually dont owe the buyout, the coach does. The teams typically do pay the buyout.

Ultimately, TAMU will pay the buyout, if owed, not Chavis.
That's correct because Chavis sued you. Great new employee.
laugh.r191677.gif

"All 5 of your games being held under 10 pts are far worse that being shutout by Bama on the road, specifically at home to BYU and BU. "

Did you watch ether of those games? The score was 6-0 at halftime against BYU, and I think Texas was actually winning at half time against Baylor. Bryce Petty admitted that Texas defense was the toughest one he had seen all year. The defense was on the field too long, and in both games, it eventually lead to the defense folding and a lopsided score. No one would argue that Texas offense was good this year, but neither game was the complete and utter start to finish domination that A&M suffered at the hands of Alabama. That was an embarrassment and a reminder how far away Aggie is from being competitive in their own division.

59-0 is far worse when your coach is in year three with several recruiting classes under his belt.... Hell, he got a raise got eight wins.

All 5 of your games being held under 10 pts are far worse that being shutout by Bama on the road, specifically at home to BYU and BU.
Are you on drugs? Alabama was beating you guys 45-0 at halftime. The could have easily scored 80+ on you guys. You had 2 drives that crossed the 50. We had more than that in the Arkansas game you love to talk about.

Originally posted by dj701919:

Are you on drugs?
No, he's just your normal, run of the mill aggy. So much dishonesty, bitterness, envy and delusion in that fanbase it's scary.

Ummm no.. being smashed by 8 TD's is FAR worse than any loss we had this year.... and you also didn't touch on the 77-0 game vs ou in this "video game stats era"....

but to save you some time... none of our games scoring under 10 points this year are anywhere near as bad as being blown out by 8-11 touchdowns.... especially when both of those blowouts could have been MUCH worse....

again, you suck at this troll thing.... maybe you should just go away while you can salvage some dignity..... lmao... yeah right.. an aggy troll with dignity... bwahahahahahaha

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT