ADVERTISEMENT

Chavis recruiting ability

utisdabomb12

Aug 12, 2013
Who has he landed at A&M?

He landed Dwaine Thomas who had offers from the likes of Arkansas State, Louisiana Monroe, Louisiana Monroe, Mcneese State. His only two decent offers were OU and Texas Tech (OU offered late in the game because they needed a LB).

I guess you can say he helped land Mack, but it sounds like Mack was headed to A&M regardless of who the DC was.

Meanwhile at LSU they aren't skipping a beat without Chavis. They've landed Chatman, Smith, Key, and Jackson just off the top of my head.

Originally posted by utisdabomb12:
Who has he landed at A&M?

He landed Dwaine Thomas who had offers from the likes of Arkansas State, Louisiana Monroe, Louisiana Monroe, Mcneese State. His only two decent offers were OU and Texas Tech (OU offered late in the game because they needed a LB).

I guess you can say he helped land Mack, but it sounds like Mack was headed to A&M regardless of who the DC was.

Meanwhile at LSU they aren't skipping a beat without Chavis. They've landed Chatman, Smith, Key, and Jackson just off the top of my head.
Unless Chavis makes Aggy known for defense, it will never change! Daylon Mack was the #WRTS bell cow for Christ sakes! It would have been really odd for him to go anywhere other than Aggy. The Chavis hire didn't do anything for them closing out the recruiting cycle!

This post was edited on 2/24 1:10 PM by TexExSpur

yes, they have coaching problems there, but the biggest concern for any aggie fan should be the culture that sumlin has instilled . He is every bit the mack brown of the SEC and they have had the benefit of some solid classes the last few years. Research who has left, hell, look at the QB's that have bailed. Dj's and cutting practice for movies is a great idea, keep it up.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

Brick was his recruiter when he was tearing it up at LSU. Chavis is not known for being a strong recruiter. Maybe the barbershop will help him out.

The most telling thing about Thomas IMO is that he did NOT get an offer from LSU while Chavis was there. Not only did Chavis not flip a single recruit from LSU, as all the Aggies imagined he would, he eventually resorted to offering kids who he never would have at LSU.

I understand that the linebacker situation was better at LSU than A&M, and that who Chavis offered at each school was relative to need, but Chavis didn't bring in a single exciting prospect.

Its not purely bias, I really think that A&M window of recruiting dominance is over. The rode the JFB hype wave as long as they possibly could, but the shine is gone, and now they are selling SEC! as hard as they can and praying that Strong can't turn it around this year.

You guys just keep singing that same old song until the music stops first week of actual football. A&M will be whipping up on a ranked Arizona State while this board melts down about getting pushed around by the Golden Domers. Chavis defense has the beef up front to make his impact felt. Once recruits see the actual results it's game over, and you know it.

Originally posted by TexasSizedFun:
You guys just keep singing that same old song until the music stops first week of actual football. A&M will be whipping up on a ranked Arizona State while this board melts down about getting pushed around by the Golden Domers. Chavis defense has the beef up front to make his impact felt. Once recruits see the actual results it's game over, and you know it.

Put the crack pipe down!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

It's funny Bomb is asking this question when Chavis has only been at A&M a couple of months.

"It's funny Bomb is asking this question when Chavis has only been at A&M a couple of months."

Oh wait....you guys use head to head statistics from when Strong was only on the job for a month, but we can't do the same thing with Chavis. Go figure.

"It's funny Bomb is asking this question when Chavis has only been at A&M a couple of months."

Oh wait....you guys use head to head statistics from when Strong was only on the job for a month, but we can't do the same thing with Chavis. Go figure.
He got Daylon Mack when Texas thought they had him in the bag. Go figure. Mack even stated Chavis was a big factor on him recommitting to A&M. Go figure.

His hire did nothing to help them close out the recruiting class! I'll make a bold prediction... His final stop yields nothing special on his list of achievments! Daylon wasn't a win, he was a recommit that was the bell cow whom nearly followed MJ to Texas. Thank God he decided to stand on his own two feet...

This post was edited on 2/24 10:44 PM by TexExSpur

In fairness, Chavis was why Mack went back to A&M. No Chavis == no Mack. Now with that said, you would have expected him to at least pull one kid along with him that wasn't an A&M lean from the get go. That didn't happen and an honest aggy will admit they were looking for me.

Reality is both teams had a great class. Murray is the wild card for them. If he doesn't come on down to CS, the aggs are woefully short on experience at QB. Course until proven different so are we.

Chavis brought in zero linebackers and secondary to CS, AZ State is going to shred the middle of the field. Not sure why you are bragging about that game.

"Once recruits see the actual results it's game over, and you know it."

Yep thats exactly what we are counting on. A&M is progressively getting worse under Sumlin. Every year since the Cotton Bowl year (read: height of A&M success) the overall record has gotten worse, and the conference standing has never been anything but mediocre. A&M's 2015 recruiting class fell in relation to its 2014 recruiting class, fell in relation to Texas' 2015 recruiting class, and fell in relation to its 2015 conference competition. The writing is on the wall. Recruits have taken notice that despite the hype of the last few years, A&M is an average team, and, well, its still A&M.

If Mack is SO good that he makes up for liabilities all over the field on defense, well, hats off to Chavis for figuring out how to make that work, but I'm not buying it.

You guys just keep singing that same old song until the music stops first week of actual football.
Thanks, I need a laugh this morning.
laugh.r191677.gif
Nice projection, aggy. You just described every offseason since I've been alive from your fanbase. Talk tough in the offseason (I'm sure you'll be the odds on favorite to go to the playoffs by August) until, you know, you actually have to play football games and then the losses start piling up. Wash, rinse, repeat...

Are there any honest aggys out there? Real question.

If the problem at A&M is the culture Sumlin has created, then it doesn't really matter who they recruit. I don't think Chavis is the guy that's going to reverse the culture. I think someone like Muschamp could do that, but not Chavis.

If you think aggy's defense is just an issue of poor coaching, Chavis will help, but he likely won't ever make the recruiting impact to keep them close to the other SEC powers. I still think it's too early to write off his recruiting ability. He didn't have the impact that aggy's hoped for, but it's still really early.

It is indeed early, but Aggies brought this on themselves. They talked (and are still talking) as if getting Chavis was the greatest coaching steal of all time. They predicted all kinds of things as being automatic, including Chavis having his pick of LSU commits, and bringing whoever he wanted from the LSU staff with him to A&M. When the smoke finally cleared on the NSD, I can't tell you how many times I saw the words "doesn't matter we got Chavis" or some statement about how Chavis was the best recruit in the nation. They built this guy up and like he was a game changer, and while its still early, the results look a lot less dramatic than what was advertised.

Guess nobody told that 5-star safety Saivion Smith from Florida who just committed to LSU that Chavis was the man and now he's gone.

Originally posted by horn01:
It is indeed early, but Aggies brought this on themselves. They talked (and are still talking) as if getting Chavis was the greatest coaching steal of all time. They predicted all kinds of things as being automatic, including Chavis having his pick of LSU commits, and bringing whoever he wanted from the LSU staff with him to A&M. When the smoke finally cleared on the NSD, I can't tell you how many times I saw the words "doesn't matter we got Chavis" or some statement about how Chavis was the best recruit in the nation. They built this guy up and like he was a game changer, and while its still early, the results look a lot less dramatic than what was advertised.
From what they were claiming, considering the reports that Malik was going to flip despite already enrolled and practicing with at UT, they definitely brought it on themselves.

Originally posted by bubba2023:

From what they were claiming, considering the reports that Malik was going to flip despite already enrolled and practicing with at UT, they definitely brought it on themselves.
They had the same sort of delusion with Kris Boyd after he had committed to us as well. Has he flipped yet?
laugh.r191677.gif

The Kris Boyd obsession was truly bizarre. It wasn't just Aggie fans, it was aggie sports writers (Liucci and Hamm), and unfortunately, other so called recruiting analysts picked up on their bullsht stories and ran with them.

By my count Boyd had to commit to Texas three times in five days. He committed to Texas on a Friday, in Austin, on TV, and aggies ran with stories that he was on the phone with Sumlin on the way to Austin, that he changed his mind on the way to Austin, etc etc. All stories made up so that aggies could feel better about the momentum they were losing.

By the following Monday, the rumors were getting so loud (all started by Liucci) that he was going to flip to A&M, that he felt the need to come out on twitter and say he was still committed to Texas. After he wrote that, Liucci wrote a couple of additional stories saying his information was accurate, that Boyd was wavering, and that he still expected him to be a NSD flip.

So once again, on NSD, there were a lot of eyes on Kris Boyd who had committed then reaffirmed his commitment to Texas twice in less than a week preceding signing day. There were still so many aggies convinced that he was going to flip to A&M, that the kid felt the need to wish Aggies well after he signed with Texas.

Talk all you want about Ketch and his supposed star bumps for Texas recruits...that was about the lowest I've seen a reporter and his idiot followers go over a recruit. The kid couldn't say he was committing to Texas enough times, TexAgs was going to deny the words out of the recruits mouth and claim they knew something. Its as if they thought if they wrote it enough, Boyd would have no choice but to flip.

The Kris Boyd obsession was 10X worse than the Malik obsession. Some of the tweets aggys were sending at Boyd were down right pathetic.

Don't know how well CJC will recruit at A&M but in LSU's most recent class he is not listed as the lead or co-recruiter on a single player. I do know, based on past results, that Ed Orgeron and Kevin Steele can recruit circles around John "Choke" Chavis.

"Oh wait....you guys use head to head statistics from when Strong was only on the job for a month, but we can't do the same thing with Chavis. Go figure. "

We can still do the head to head with Strong and Sumlin if you like.

To answer the question of what has Chavis done, we won't know until football starts. Most kids are going to be a wait and see approach. If Chavis has this defense even in the top 50 recruits will take notice. Chavis will have elite talent on the defensive line, but that's about it. I think his schemes will help other players play at a higher level which will improve team defense, but his recruiting will be felt in 2016. If Chavis shows it on the field things will get really good for the A&M D.

I think A&M is quite a bit further away from being an elite and competitive SEC team than a top 50 defense. I do think Chavis was a good hire, but in order for him to be the game changer Aggies were crowing about, he is going to have to get the most of the players on campus AND recruit well. (The same can be said for Watson and crew...they can't just hope to have a mediocre offense and be a contender)

The delusion of aggys is always the best. I've been hearing about " how they've turned things around", "how next year will be the year", "how a title is a coming" since I've been alive.

Aggys are the definition of empty rhetoric. You guys all talk a big game but at the end of the day you haven't won jack.

Sumlin is the problem. 7 years a head coach. One recruit drafted. And that was a juco transfer.

Chavis went to Aggy because he's ready to retire and get paid. He won't be out recruiting.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

And you could be right about his last gig to get paid. For me, I'd always like to get a young hungry DC with a LOT of energy. You can't blame A&M though for going out to find as good of a defensive coach as Chavis. He's won a NC at both Tennessee and LSU. His defensive units have always been top 15 units. Chavis was in homes with several kids the last few days. He was in the homes of many kids that weren't even on radar. He may or may not be the answer, but you need to get back on the map on the defensive side of the ball to then attract the elite. Chavis was the best available for A&M, so for that I'm glad they were aggresive to go and get him.

Care to bet on that? I have a feeling Arizona State will be mudholing the aggys by halftime.....

There is a reason aggy always plays cupcakes in OOC - its because they cant beat any real team with a pulse and Arizona State is going to use this game as a statement to the sec that they are over rated and no longer king of the mountain,,,

Aggys lose you go away forever from OB... aggys win I wont ever post on an aggy site again in my life... although in this bet I win either way... lol.

ADVERTISEMENT