ADVERTISEMENT

Chavis recruiting ability

Originally posted by Black_SoxAg:

We can still do the head to head with Strong and Sumlin if you like.
No we can't because you aggys are absolutely delusional and dishonest on that point at well. But go ahead and point to a bunch of guys that Mack Brown offered and Charlie Strong didn't want as a "H2H" win (ie slow ass terrible O linemen Lanfear and Elbert, etc.). Or saying Jerrod Heard (and many others like him) weren't H2H wins for us even though you guys were "calling him more than any other school in the country" per his high school coach. That's really honest. But hang onto DJ Rumlin playing that pathetic game if it helps you sleep at night, aggy. UT had the consensus better class this year.

This post was edited on 2/26 9:18 AM by Scholz

And you could be right about his last gig to get paid. For me, I'd always like to get a young hungry DC with a LOT of energy. You can't blame A&M though for going out to find as good of a defensive coach as Chavis. He's won a NC at both Tennessee and LSU. His defensive units have always been top 15 units. Chavis was in homes with several kids the last few days. He was in the homes of many kids that weren't even on radar. He may or may not be the answer, but you need to get back on the map on the defensive side of the ball to then attract the elite. Chavis was the best available for A&M, so for that I'm glad they were aggresive to go and get him.
He is right! It is a guaranteed contract.... Final destination mode.

Aggie has been playing this head to head record the same way Mack did in his best years...he rarely offered kids that he didn't already know were going to commit. The vast majority of his recruits committed instantly when they were offered, many on junior days.

Its very easy to claim a great offer/commit ratio that way, and easy to claim you are winning "head to head" battles with any other coach. Strong has taken more of a shotgun approach, but he got four very public checks in the win column with Jefferson, McNeal, Boyd, and Hill, primarily because of Aggie sports writers insistence that all these guys were going to A&M. I'd also say Sumlin's fight to hold on to Murray was actually a big loss in terms of perception, as it opened a lot of eyes to turmoil within the program.

Originally posted by mikej042002:

Originally posted by utisdabomb12:
"It's funny Bomb is asking this question when Chavis has only been at A&M a couple of months."

Oh wait....you guys use head to head statistics from when Strong was only on the job for a month, but we can't do the same thing with Chavis. Go figure.
He got Daylon Mack when Texas thought they had him in the bag. Go figure. Mack even stated Chavis was a big factor on him recommitting to A&M. Go figure.
I see you dodged that main point of this post by ignoring that damn near EVERY aggy alive WAS using the H2H against Strong when he had been here under a month.. and crowed about it.... and even started that WRTS garbage..... yet you cry about it when the same thing is done in regards to one of your own coaches... interesting.... then again we know that honor, integrity, honesty etc are not things that aggys hold truly dear... like tying up sheep, visiting the ole glory hole or manufacturing false "championships" to plaster on the side of your stadium and in your arenas.

"He is right! It is a guaranteed contract.... Final destination mode."

So you think A&M is stupid for hiring what EVERYONE would consider a top 3 DC? People like Chavis have big egos and I can't imagine a guy like that coming to A&M and having the mindset of he really doesn't care if they suck. Think what it does to his legacy if he takes a team that is 106th nationally in defense and turns it around. You wanted Saban. Would you say that he was just coming to Texas for a payday? No, I'm pretty sure you would have been thrilled to land one of the premier coaches in football.

So you think A&M is stupid for hiring what EVERYONE would consider a top 3 DC? People like Chavis have big egos and I can't imagine a guy like that coming to A&M and having the mindset of he really doesn't care if they suck. Think what it does to his legacy if he takes a team that is 106th nationally in defense and turns it around. You wanted Saban. Would you say that he was just coming to Texas for a payday? No, I'm pretty sure you would have been thrilled to land one of the premier coaches in football.

Everyone huh?.... What was the LSU counter offer to keep him at LSU? It must have been pretty good since everybody thinks he is a top 3 DC....... and if he is already on your staff, logic dictates that you do anything you can to retain him.......

First of all, I don't think he was a slam dunk hire and my wife is an LSU kitten! Coach BOOM would have been a slam dunk and helped change the culture.

I think he was a good hire, I think he jumped on a guaranteed contract. TAMU is now tied up in Sumlin and Chavis for the foreseeable future... You had better hope he comes out guns a blazing! Y'all will probably be thrilled if he gifts you a top 50 D and I think that is plausible. I don't think y'all have the type of players LSU has nor do I think y'all have the type of position coaches that LSU has. I don't think he makes a significant difference in 2015, but they should get better.

Personally, I think TAMU's woes on defense are systemic. If Sumlin moves towards the ground game as he did in the bowl game and he is successful, the D will be better, regardless of who the DC is.

I was never on the Saban wagon and laugh at everyone who brings him up. I'm happy with Strong, but, honestly... I was pulling for a steal from Stanford even though I doubted he would leave.

This post was edited on 2/26 2:38 PM by TexExSpur

Originally posted by LonghornSoldier:

Everyone huh?.... What was the LSU counter offer to keep him at LSU? It must have been pretty good since everybody thinks he is a top 3 DC....... and if he is already on your staff, logic dictates that you do anything you can to retain him.......
30K, they were ready to cut bait.

"I think he jumped on a guaranteed contract."

Aggies want this kept hush/hush. Their version of the story is that Sumlin is a genius salesman. What really happened is that LSU offered the guy a slap in the face contract...no raise, and the extension was tied to Miles staying at LSU.

So A&M stepped in and offered him a guaranteed contract and about a 75% pay increase over what LSU was offering. If you are Chavis, you are nearing the end of your career, at this point a HC gig is not going to happen, and LSU is basically telling you we don't want to be tied to you anymore.

Does that mean Chavis is going to phone it in at A&M and collect his pay check. No, it doesn't, but it does put into perspective where the man is at in his career and how other programs viewed giving him a large contract.

So you think A&M is stupid for hiring what EVERYONE would consider a top 3 DC?
Man, you aggys really need to open a window in your echo chamber. You guys can convince yourselves of a lot of hyperbole.
laugh.r191677.gif

"So you think A&M is stupid for hiring what EVERYONE would consider a top 3 DC?"

LSU didn't think he was worth top 3 DC money, which is why they didn't pay him.

You gave him top 3 DC money but you guys were desperate. You overpaid a guy with the nickname "3rd and Chavis" and a guy that doesn't recruit at all.

This post was edited on 2/26 3:27 PM by utisdabomb12

Just like they gave DJ Rumlin $5 mil per. Doesn't mean he deserves that kind of jack. Far from it, he's never won a damn thing as a HC. They're desperate.

LSU really didn't put up much of a fight to try and keep him. Maybe if this were five or six years ago Chavis would be considered a top 3 DC but now his defenses give up a lot of points to good offenses, see MSU, Wisconsin, Auburn, Florida and Notre Dame.

Originally posted by Scholz:

Man, you aggys really need to open a window in your echo chamber. You guys can convince yourselves of a lot of hyperbole.
laugh.r191677.gif

Seriously. I don't know if you could find one HC or DC or person associated with CFB that thinks Chavis is a top 3 DC.

Originally posted by jsto60:

Originally posted by Scholz:

laugh.r191677.gif

Seriously. I don't know if you could find one HC or DC or person associated with CFB that thinks Chavis is a top 3 DC.
I remember hearing this before he was hired at a&m.....googled 3rd and chavis and
3dgrin.r191677.gif

https://www.google.com/search?q=3rd+and+chavis&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&gws_rd=ssl

My LSU buddy wanted him gone for years.

Compared him to the defensive version of Greg Davis. Good enough to be frustrating, but not LSU good enough.

I think he is better than what they had, I just don't think he is an instant game changer. I don't think A&M is suddenly an SEC title contender, and I don't think D recruits are suddenly going to flock to A&M.

Originally posted by horn01:
I think he is better than what they had, I just don't think he is an instant game changer. I don't think A&M is suddenly an SEC title contender, and I don't think D recruits are suddenly going to flock to A&M.
I think the only guy a&m flipped was a latech guy. so he was not the instant star they expected.

One of the big reasons Chavis was successful at LSU is because his assistants recruited elite players on the DL, LB and in the secondary.

A&M has recruited well on the DL, but they aren't anywhere close to the talent level LSU has had at LB and in the secondary.

Much of LSU's success has been predicated on a dominant secondary. You can do a lot of things defensively when you can leave CBs on an island. That option isn't going to be available at A&M for at least 2 or 3 years.

" since I've been alive " All thirteen years!

Hey, never did hear, did you pass 8th grade or are you going to have to get held back again?

"Hey, never did hear, did you pass 8th grade or are you going to have to get held back again?"

Wow, good one.

I agree Chavis was a good hire. Especially for Aggie.

But he also isn't some God-send they are making him out to be. Nor will that really even matter. The great part about his hire (other than them over paying him) is he might help win a game or two. Which could help keep Sumlin around longer. Which is good for everyone else, since that guy is a fraud.

Meanwhile, they should have kept Sherm. Or RC for that matter.

Originally posted by utisdabomb12:
"So you think A&M is stupid for hiring what EVERYONE would consider a top 3 DC?"

LSU didn't think he was worth top 3 DC money, which is why they didn't pay him.

You gave him top 3 DC money but you guys were desperate. You overpaid a guy with the nickname "3rd and Chavis" and a guy that doesn't recruit at all.

This post was edited on 2/26 3:27 PM by utisdabomb12
This is a Flat out Lie. Don't make me show you the truth... Screw it, click the link. As of 2014, he was the 3rd highest paid DC behind Foster and Smart. Obviously they felt he was worth top 3 DC money, because that's what they were giving him.

"This is a Flat out Lie. Don't make me show you the truth... Screw it, click the link. As of 2014, he was the 3rd highest paid DC behind Foster and Smart. Obviously they felt he was worth top 3 DC money, because that's what they were giving him."

Again, you are incorrect. LSU only wanted to pay Chavis about $1.33 million.

Muschamp makes $1.7 million. Smart made $1.35 last year and I think he got a bump coming into this year. Venables makes $1.35 million with all types of crazy bonuses in his contract.

So no, LSU didn't think he was worth "top 3 DC money".

Originally posted by jsto60:
I agree Chavis was a good hire. Especially for Aggie.

But he also isn't some God-send they are making him out to be. Nor will that really even matter. The great part about his hire (other than them over paying him) is he might help win a game or two. Which could help keep Sumlin around longer. Which is good for everyone else, since that guy is a fraud.

Meanwhile, they should have kept Sherm. Or RC for that matter.
No way they should have kept Sherman. Even in hindsight you don't keep him. You hire someone other than Sumlin, but you certainly don't keep Sherman. He couldn't coach for crap. Great talent evaluator though, but terrible coach. Sumlin is definitely not the answer, but they would be in a worse spot today if Sherman was coaching the team.

Originally posted by Homesick Aggie:
" since I've been alive " All thirteen years!

Hey, never did hear, did you pass 8th grade or are you going to have to get held back again?
I assume this was directed at my previous post since you're not smart enough to link the quote. And I see you didn't address the point (you can't) but instead chose to attack the messenger. It's OK though. Go ahead and talk tough now while you still can before the games start.
laugh.r191677.gif

"You just described every offseason since I've been alive from your fanbase. Talk tough in the offseason (I'm sure you'll be the odds on favorite to go to the playoffs by August) until, you know, you actually have to play football games and then the losses start piling up. Wash, rinse, repeat..."

This post was edited on 2/27 11:06 AM by Scholz

'You just described every offseason since I've been alive from your fanbase."

The funny thing here is that anyone who is 74 or younger has never seen A&M do anything but underachieve. Bear Bryant got the hell out of there with some interesting comments about what A&M really is compared to what Aggies think A&M is.

Of course they think every year is NEXT year. Even as they are watching their record get worse, their recruiting slide in relation to the conference competition and Texas, and the national media put them back into the also-ran category, they are crowing about a new DC as the guy thats going to put them in the national championship game.

ADVERTISEMENT