ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard to Texas

I’m looking for him to hit the transfer portal and juncos heavily, at least the first year.

Maybe he will turn his game around
I agree. Heppa seems like a very coachable non-attitude type guy. I have seen him interviewed a few times. I could be wrong, but that is the sense I get. It may seem counter intuitive, but these kids want and need discipline. Discipline allows for trust to develop between a team. Unfortunately, Jones was by far the most undisciplined guy we had. I remember one particular game where we were winning by 12 or 14 points with only 5-6 minutes left in the game (more or less). Well, you would think that they would bring the ball down, set up the offense and use some clock until a good open shot presents itself. Texas had a good defensive stand and got the rebound, then kicked out to Jones. He took the ball straight down the court and jacked up a 3 (missed) using up maybe 2-3 seconds. The other team rebounded....Jones was the worst offender, but others would do it on a smaller scale.

I’m looking for him to hit the transfer portal and juncos heavily, at least the first year.

Yep, he runs a tough practice so the cry babies may want to go to Marquette. It's going to be a different team. I can't wait to see what he can do here. His teams are going to be nails one defense with outside sharpshooters like Maclung. I don't think he will have many one and done players. This team will be more like Gonzaga than Kentucky.

I took a peak on the UNC rivals' free board just to see their reaction to the Roy Williams news. The sentiment I got was:
1) Brad Stevens
2) Billy Donavon
3) Wes Miller
4) Chris Beard (before the news broke that Texas got their man)
5) Oats or Musselman

There was a rumor that was not well received on the forum that UNC may hire Hubert Davis from within the program.

I took a peak on the UNC rivals' free board just to see their reaction to the Roy Williams news. The sentiment I got was:
1) Brad Stevens
2) Billy Donavon
3) Wes Miller
4) Chris Beard (before the news broke that Texas got their man)
5) Oats or Musselman

There was a rumor that was not well received on the forum that UNC may hire Hubert Davis from within the program.

However it shakes out, I just hope our strange but welcome recent tradition of absolutely owning UNC in basketball continues under Beard.

However it shakes out, I just hope our strange but welcome recent tradition of absolutely owning UNC in basketball continues under Beard.
To me, I am thinking they should do what they have to do to get Stevens. I can see this hire for UNC being analogous to Alabama going after and getting Saban.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Beard putting together a hell of a staff so far.
Chris Ogden coming back
Ulric maligi- one of his top assistants at tech and reputation as a great recruiter coming on board

To me, I am thinking they should do what they have to do to get Stevens. I can see this hire for UNC being analogous to Alabama going after and getting Saban.
Agree. UNC just seems, however, like a place that will go out of its way to hire someone with a Tarheel connection . . . Hubert David, Stackhouse, or someone else of that ilk regardless of who should be hired. Should be interesting.
Just happy we have our guy.

Did anyone else see the press conference with Beard? What a hell of a press conference got me fired up and many others as well! We made the right hire!

Hook 'Em
He will do a good job here. He’s putting together a hell of a staff and it sounds like some more alums may be a part of the staff. I’d bet on Kenton Paulino coming on board

Reactions: RoboCocks21
Somebodies jealous!

Now that he’s departed Lubbock for Austin, we can safely say that the rhetoric Chris Beard spewed over the last five years was nothing but malarkey.
Move over Tommy Tuberville. There’s a new most hated former Texas Tech coach in West Texas, Chris Beard.

https://wreckemred.com/2021/04/02/texas-tech-basketball-chris-beard-proved-nothing-fraud/
You could tell that leaving tech was hard for him, but I think he knew that this was probably his only shot at the Texas job

That would be good for them. The big 12 will stay the best conference in college basketball.
Yeah. The coaches in the big 12. It’s amazing. We will see who tech is able to get. The North Texas guy would be a strong get for them.

Texas should do it. It would be a nice treat for the city of Abilene. I remember when Texas came to El Paso to play UTEP. The radio talk shows and sports news were very complementary of Mack for coming to El Paso. Most of the time P5 schools only host schools like UTEP and don't do a home and home. It was pretty festive for the whole city all week long. It was pretty special for the city.

Sounds like a rerun about David McWilliams...Hope Beard didn't have a house to sell, History does repeat itself.....

Somebodies jealous!

Now that he’s departed Lubbock for Austin, we can safely say that the rhetoric Chris Beard spewed over the last five years was nothing but malarkey.
Move over Tommy Tuberville. There’s a new most hated former Texas Tech coach in West Texas, Chris Beard.

https://wreckemred.com/2021
Somebodies jealous!

https://wreckemred.com/2021/04/02/texas-tech-basketball-chris-beard-proved-nothing-fraud/
Wow....... that read like a letter from a girl that I'd given a tonk in the tradesman's entrance and never called her back.

Reactions: WRLHookem
Rumor is Beard is trying to get Rodney Terry to come back to Texas as an assistant. Currently he’s the HC at UTEP

Reactions: RoboCocks21
Rumor is Beard is trying to get Rodney Terry to come back to Texas as an assistant. Currently he’s the HC at UTEP
Rodney Terry has been here for 3 years and things just haven't clicked. HIs record is under .500 and key players have transferred out the last couple of years. Then again, UTEP hasn't been good in basketball for quite some time. People here still like Terry, but his contract will probably be allowed to run out in a couple of years. Looks like he makes $700k, but he accepted a pandemic pay cut to $500k.

Rodney Terry has been here for 3 years and things just haven't clicked. HIs record is under .500 and key players have transferred out the last couple of years. Then again, UTEP hasn't been good in basketball for quite some time. People here still like Terry, but his contract will probably be allowed to run out in a couple of years. Looks like he makes $700k, but he accepted a pandemic pay cut to $500k.
Jeff Goodman is reporting Terry is leaving UTEP to join Beard’s staff in Austin. Beard is putting together a hell of a staff

Looks like Mark Adams is taking over for beard he was his top assistant. Looks like Tech don't have the funds to money whip anyone.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT