ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard to Texas

am i mature enough to realize that if he's the best player, and is transferring, that he is probably not...mmmm... let's say, a leader... or mature... or in any way resembling an adult? yeah. yeah i am.

buzz is a good coach. sometimes intense. but if BUZZ is hard to take, then beard ain't gonna be the answer for him.

unless he's doing the aau college experience and team-hopping to play with his buddies.

Christian Bishop transfer from creighton has committed to Texas. Arguably the best player in the portal Beard got him over Kansas. Huge pickup.

I am pleasantly surprised by this. Given the proximity of his hometown to Kansas, I thought he would go there.....

I am pleasantly surprised by this. Given the proximity of his hometown to Kansas, I thought he would go there.....
I thought he would as well. This one wasn’t even on my radar. I saw Texas was in his final 4, but I assumed Kansas was probably the favorite.

am i mature enough to realize that if he's the best player, and is transferring, that he is probably not...mmmm... let's say, a leader... or mature... or in any way resembling an adult? yeah. yeah i am.

buzz is a good coach. sometimes intense. but if BUZZ is hard to take, then beard ain't gonna be the answer for him.

unless he's doing the aau college experience and team-hopping to play with his buddies.

Feel the same way about Timmy Allen? Or (potentially) Dylan Disu? Maybe these guys (and the aggy) just want to be on teams that don't completely suck. Or do you have specific negative info on Miller?

Anyway, without bringing in some very good transfers, Texas next year was basically going to be the Jarrett Allen team without Jarrett Allen -- at best. Whatever transferring may or may not indicate about a given player's character -- and I'm not convinced that it's a reliable indicator of anything -- I'm glad we're taking our chances. I'm not up for another 20-plus-loss waste of a season.

Basketball may be better than football at Texas for some time. I don't think the football team is going to be that great.

Feel the same way about Timmy Allen? Or (potentially) Dylan Disu? Maybe these guys (and the aggy) just want to be on teams that don't completely suck. Or do you have specific negative info on Miller?

Anyway, without bringing in some very good transfers, Texas next year was basically going to be the Jarrett Allen team without Jarrett Allen -- at best. Whatever transferring may or may not indicate about a given player's character -- and I'm not convinced that it's a reliable indicator of anything -- I'm glad we're taking our chances. I'm not up for another 20-plus-loss waste of a season.
no specific info

Basketball may be better than football at Texas for some time. I don't think the football team is going to be that great.
It’s easier to build a solid program in basketball. A couple studs and 4-5 decent guys you can get to the sweet 16. Not really that way in football. With that said though I think we have the right guys running both programs and will be a power house athletic program again soon

Boom! F***ing HUGE pickup from the portal!

6'9" PF who led the SEC in rebounding. Can score too. Averaged 15 points (49.2% on FGs) and 9.2 rebounds at Vandy last season. Shot 37% on threes.

Beard is about to create a monster! Yes he got players at Tech but I don't think he can grab them like he can here!

Beard is about to create a monster! Yes he got players at Tech but I don't think he can grab them like he can here!
I agree this is a huge pickup. I agree beard will be able to get players at Texas he couldn’t get at Tech. I think that’s why he took the job. Getting players at Texas has never been an issue, or at least hasn’t been for several years. I could make a nice NBA team out of Texas guys from the last 20 years or so

Reactions: RoboCocks21
I agree this is a huge pickup. I agree beard will be able to get players at Texas he couldn’t get at Tech. I think that’s why he took the job. Getting players at Texas has never been an issue, or at least hasn’t been for several years. I could make a nice NBA team out of Texas guys from the last 20 years or so
No other school could top Aldridge and Durant at forwards - that's pretty tough.

Anyone know if Greg Brown is coming back or not? Has he announced and I just missed it?

From Gerry H.: “Just had a person plugged into the AAU scene in the Houston area predict Sahvir Wheeler would end up at Texas. We shall see if that pans out.”

And Courtney Ramey’s announcement:

Beard is bringing in some impressive transfers. He knows that is the future of college basketball. No more one and done prospects. The transfer portal is the equivalent of college free agency. With his ability to identify talent and understand how to utilize that talent as part of a group, he can quickly build the type of team that he envisions. He's got some studs in this transfer group along with some solid players who understand their role on the team. Next year's team has gone from battling for the cellar to legit Big 12 contenders especially if he can convince Greg Brown to stay one more year. I would love to see what this staff can do with Greg Brown.

Beard is bringing in some impressive transfers. He knows that is the future of college basketball. No more one and done prospects. The transfer portal is the equivalent of college free agency. With his ability to identify talent and understand how to utilize that talent as part of a group, he can quickly build the type of team that he envisions. He's got some studs in this transfer group along with some solid players who understand their role on the team. Next year's team has gone from battling for the cellar to legit Big 12 contenders especially if he can convince Greg Brown to stay one more year. I would love to see what this staff can do with Greg Brown.
I'm not sold on Greg Brown, but the rest of your post is on point. Skip the freshman growing pains, projections of ability, etc., and go straight to a (semi) finished product. And with the changing game, there is no longer a stigma for the transfer of being a malcontent/problem. It will be interesting to see how the Coach K's and Calipari's respond to this.

Reactions: Drtxhorn
IT

Inside Texas continues to believe Coastal Carolina guard DeVante Jones will pick Michigan over Texas, Texas Tech, and Memphis.

IT also believes Georgia transfer Sahvir Wheeler and Texas aren't going to end up being a fit due to Wheeler and his circle‘s expectations of overall minutes and differing opinions on his post-college talent level.

The Texas staff has two or three more irons in the fire at guard.

IT

Inside Texas continues to believe Coastal Carolina guard DeVante Jones will pick Michigan over Texas, Texas Tech, and Memphis.

IT also believes Georgia transfer Sahvir Wheeler and Texas aren't going to end up being a fit due to Wheeler and his circle‘s expectations of overall minutes and differing opinions on his post-college talent level.

The Texas staff has two or three more irons in the fire at guard.
"aren't going to end up being a fit due to Wheeler and his circle‘s expectations of overall minutes".....
Well, bye.......

I think Beard just needs to tune out the noise for now. Focus on building a team. Realize that fans fans have zero expectations for year one. I'm betting there will be limited expectations for year two as well. Just build your team.

I think Beard just needs to tune out the noise for now. Focus on building a team. Realize that fans fans have zero expectations for year one. I'm betting there will be limited expectations for year two as well. Just build your team.
Now do Sark.

They already have Texas ranked number 20 with the guys that Beard is getting. They are already also talking about competing for a Big 12 title in the first year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT