ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard to Texas

I don't know if he is projected as an NBA player, but by the end of last season he was a force. Keeping him on campus for another year would be huge development.
I don’t know that he really fits in today’s NBA game as anymore than a rotational player. If I had to guess he’s a 2nd round/undrafted guy.

I realize that no one is thinking about Texas basketball right now, but Beard & Co. just landed another HUGE pickup from the portal in former four-star recruit and UMass center Tre Mitchell.

Averaged 18.8 ppg on 52% shooting and 7.2 rebounds last season as a true sophomore. Shot 38% from three and 77% from the line as well.

Last edited:
I realize that no one is thinking about Texas basketball right now, but Beard & Co. just landed another HUGE pickup from the portal in former four-star recruit and UMass center Tre Mitchell.

The big man averaged 18.8 ppg on 51% shooting and 7.2 rebounds last season as a true sophomore.

This is a huge pickup. He’s not a one-and-done guy and he’s an upper class man. He’s had 2 full years to develop.

Reactions: freeper and westx
Looks like Jericho Sims signs with Klutch Sports ahead of NBA draft. He will not be coming back.

But looks like we have another transfer in the fold Dawson Garcia out of Marquette 6'11 forward. Could land at Texas but we will see.

But looks like we have another transfer in the fold Dawson Garcia out of Marquette 6'11 forward. Could land at Texas but we will see.
Good for him. Tall centers don't do well in Shaka's system. On the other hand, if he is one of those 6'11 guys that likes to shoot 3 pointers, then he should stay with Shaka.

Looks like Jericho Sims signs with Klutch Sports ahead of NBA draft. He will not be coming back.

Garcia would be an interesting pick up. #4 PF out of high school with offers from everyone. MN guy so he stayed in the region at Marquette.

Good for him. Tall centers don't do well in Shaka's system. On the other hand, if he is one of those 6'11 guys that likes to shoot 3 pointers, then he should stay with Shaka.
Not sure that’s accurate. Most centers in college are still developing and because they are one and done a lot you’ll never see the best of them in college. Unless they are a freak of nature like Anthony Davis. A lot of coaches are getting away from recruiting big guys because of that.

Two more HUGE commitments for Beard & Co. this afternoon.

The Portal Pimp grabs the top remaining transfer in Minnesota guard Marcus Carr and solves the issue of who will be next year’s lead guard.

About five minutes later, Texas lands 2022 4-star/5-star PG Arterio Morris out of Dallas Kimball.

Last edited:
Good Lord!!! Chris Beard is putting in work!

In the span of a couple months, we went from having one of the weakest Texas BB teams in history to one of the favorites to win a national championship. Hopefully, all this talent finds a way to quickly come together and excel as a unit. The depth of this roster is unreal but we still lack one or two dead-eye shooters to keep the floor spread. Beard will need to find a way to develop strengths within the roster - that's his strength as a coach and a big reason top recruits are drawn to him.

On the NBA Draft front, look for Kai Jones to be selected in the late lottery to mid-teens (10-16 range). Also, Greg Brown has had terrible workouts for NBA teams. Don't be surprised to see him slip completely out of the 1st round and deep into the 2nd round. He's a freak athlete but he can't shoot, doesn't create for others, is a weak defender and a below average ball handler. His dunks are awesome to watch and he can run like a deer which is great but you need to bring a lot more than that to be an NBA player. He's extremely raw as an NBA prospect and will need to spend 1-2 years developing in the G League if he's drafted in the 2nd round. His upside is very high but he's a typical boom or bust prospect like so many other guys who declare early. He would've definitely benefited from another year or two in college.

On the other hand, Jericho Sims has been outstanding in all of his workouts and is quickly rising on teams' draft boards. Don't be surprised to see him sneak into the end of the 1st round. If not, he's definitely getting drafted somewhere around the middle of the 2nd round. I see him getting drafted before Greg Brown. He's showing good feet and mobility for a Center/PF. He's showing teams good defensive awareness and ability to guard all 5 positions with his size and mobility. He also registered the 3rd highest vertical in the history of the NBA Combine at 44.5 inches, That's insane for someone who is 6'10". He has no offensive game but teams are looking at him for his versatility to guard all positions and to be a rim runner on pick and rolls with an easy lob finish. His conversion rate on pick and rolls was the highest in the NCAA his senior year. His work ethic and maturity are also impressing teams. He's an excellent example of how staying in school all 4 years benefits your development as a player. He's NBA ready now and is highly likely to be on some team's roster.

Reactions: freeper and westx
Also, Greg Brown has had terrible workouts for NBA teams. Don't be surprised to see him slip completely out of the 1st round and deep into the 2nd round. He's a freak athlete but he can't shoot, doesn't create for others, is a weak defender and a below average ball handler.
Spot on. He needs at least one year of good disciplined coaching. I will be pulling for him. Hopefully, he won't get lost in the noise of where he thinks he should. be versus where he really is.

Reactions: freeper
Greg Brown made a big mistake. He should've watched the arc of Jericho Sim's collegiate career. Good luck to him.

Reactions: westx
Chris Beard is really impressing me. The thing I like the most is he’s building the team around Guards. The mistake Shaka made IMO is that he built around big guys. The problem with that is big guys take time to develop usually, and most of them end up being one and done so you don’t really get the benefit of them. Beard isn’t making that error .

Chris Beard is really impressing me. The thing I like the most is he’s building the team around Guards. The mistake Shaka made IMO is that he built around big guys. The problem with that is big guys take time to develop usually, and most of them end up being one and done so you don’t really get the benefit of them. Beard isn’t making that error .
Shaka built his team around bigs and then ran an offense that shot 3 pointers on 90% of possessions. Never understood that.

Shaka built his team around bigs and then ran an offense that shot 3 pointers on 90% of possessions. Never understood that.
But he did that because the bigs didn’t really have an offensive game. Which is why in the one and done era I wouldn’t really recruit bigs. The offensive game is usually the last thing to come for a big man and it usually takes a couple years.

Reactions: DHHorn
Greg Brown and Sims were both drafted as well.

Texas ties for the most players drafted this year, and yet Deepak Chopra Lite couldn’t lead his team to a win over a glorified seminary in the tournament.

Ah well, I’ll love you forever, ACU. You too, Marquette, you poor, dumb bastards. Bless your asses from here to kingdom come.

Greg Brown and Sims were both drafted as well.

Texas ties for the most players drafted this year, and yet Deepak Chopra Lite couldn’t lead his team to a win over a glorified seminary in the tournament.

Ah well, I’ll love you forever, ACU. You too, Marquette, you poor, dumb bastards. Bless your asses from here to kingdom come.

Brown a second round pick #43 Pelicans. He gets to team up with Zion let's see how this goes.

Reactions: freeper
ADVERTISEMENT