ADVERTISEMENT

Chris Beard to Texas

Brown a second round pick #43 Pelicans. He gets to team up with Zion let's see how this goes.
He was immediately traded to Portland. He’s about 2-3 years away from being ready to contribute at an nba level. Good situation for him since Portland is willing to develop his game and wait on him.

He was immediately traded to Portland. He’s about 2-3 years away from being ready to contribute at an nba level. Good situation for him since Portland is willing to develop his game and wait on him.
He’s a guy that really could of benefited from coming back

Reactions: diadevic

Well the Knicks drafted him and Charlotte got that trade and now he is at Portland. Wow

Horns putting in work today against a decent Stanford team. Defense is outstanding. Stanford only has 40 points with 4 minutes left. We've forced over 20 turnovers. Texas up 53-40.

Offense has work to do. We had an 18 point lead earlier but turned the ball over a few times being careless.

Horns putting in work today against a decent Stanford team. Defense is outstanding. Stanford only has 40 points with 4 minutes left. We've forced over 20 turnovers. Texas up 53-40.

Offense has work to do. We had an 18 point lead earlier but turned the ball over a few times being careless.
If you thought last years offense was bad… this one might be worse. If they don’t get things figured out this team will get exposed in conference play in a big way.

Chris Beard is a really good coach, and I get why he was the top guy. My concern about the hire though was exactly what we’re seeing. Texas problem the last few years was on the offensive end… Chris beard’s weakness as a coach comes on the offensive end, and we are seeing that, so far this year.

If you thought last years offense was bad… this one might be worse. If they don’t get things figured out this team will get exposed in conference play in a big way.
I'm not saying I don't want it to get better, but kenpom has our adjusted offensive efficiency at 25th out of all Division I teams so far. Last year's was 28th. What makes it feel worse than it is is the pace. Last year's team played at a slightly above-average tempo relative to all other teams. This year's Texas team so far plays with the second-slowest tempo out of 358 Division I teams.

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
I'm not saying I don't want it to get better, but kenpom has our adjusted offensive efficiency at 25th out of all Division I teams so far. Last year's was 28th. What makes it feel worse than it is is the pace. Last year's team played at a slightly above-average tempo relative to all other teams. This year's Texas team so far plays with the second-slowest tempo out of 358 Division I teams.
Last years team got a lot of easy points off of lobs, dunks, etc. this years team doesn’t have that ability.

keep in mind too. We have played no one. We’ve played two teams in the non con who will probably make the tournament, and lost them both.

We just activated Disu and it will get better. What I like is that we have first implemented the defensive effort needed to shut down the opponent. We will improve on offense. We will be peaking in Feb and March.

Was talking to a Juco basketball coach in Texas about Shaka vs Beard. He knows both and said Shaka was really good with 3 star guys but couldn't coach 5 star guys. He said Beard will have the players play hard for him because he isn't scared to cuss a 5 star out.

Reactions: RoboCocks21
Was talking to a Juco basketball coach in Texas about Shaka vs Beard. He knows both and said Shaka was really good with 3 star guys but couldn't coach 5 star guys. He said Beard will have the players play hard for him because he isn't scared to cuss a 5 star out.
I’m not sure I agree with that. I mean Texas did win the big 12 tournament last year, and had an overall solid season. The tournament certainly didn’t go as we all wanted for sure but I think sometimes people can put too much weight on the tournament. It’s designed to produce upsets. Almost every big time coach as been upset in the tournament at lest once probably more.

DUDE, I WATCHED THAT CHIT FOR 6 YEARS... THE SAMPLE SIZE WAS SUFFICIENT.
Shaka had his problems here, but Beard has the same problems right now. They lost the Seaton Hall game because they went 8 mins without a bucket. There is something about this program and lack of offense. It’s been true under Barnes, Shaka and now Beard…. Better get it figured out pretty quick, and I’m not sure Beard is the guy to do that. His teams haven’t been known as offensive machines.

We just activated Disu and it will get better. What I like is that we have first implemented the defensive effort needed to shut down the opponent. We will improve on offense. We will be peaking in Feb and March.
Disu should help with the rebounding issue. I’m not sure he helps with scoring. It’s hard for a low post player to dominate when there isn’t much threat from the outside.

Shaka had his problems here, but Beard has the same problems right now. They lost the Seaton Hall game because they went 8 mins without a bucket. There is something about this program and lack of offense. It’s been true under Barnes, Shaka and now Beard…. Better get it figured out pretty quick, and I’m not sure Beard is the guy to do that. His teams haven’t been known as offensive machines.
Many Tech fans said that the offense would be slow in the beginning. It was the same way in Lubbock. Beard bested Shaka every year in the tournament. The question should be, what would Shaka's record look like right now had he stayed? .500?

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Many Tech fans said that the offense would be slow in the beginning. It was the same way in Lubbock. Beard bested Shaka every year in the tournament. The question should be, what would Shaka's record look like right now had he stayed? .500?
Probably about the same. You could coach this team and they’d have the same recored. The non con schedule is pretty weak. Weaker than it’s been in years.

Maybe similar records, but instead of beating Nichols or whoever by 35 and being up 25 at half, we would win by 8 and it would be excruciatingly painful to watch as we kept them in it.
I don’t know what games you were watching but for example last year we beat UTRGV by 20. Beat them by 30 this year. Blow out either way. Winning the games we are “supposed” to win hasn’t really been the issue the last couple years.

I’m not sure I agree with that. I mean Texas did win the big 12 tournament last year, and had an overall solid season. The tournament certainly didn’t go as we all wanted for sure but I think sometimes people can put too much weight on the tournament. It’s designed to produce upsets. Almost every big time coach as been upset in the tournament at lest once probably more.
I’m not sure the overall results from Shaka’s time as the coach agree with you either. You put to much weight on the tournament because it’s the only thing that really matters in the grand scheme of things. Shaka was the epitome of a mediocre coach who gave us mediocre results. Just not good enough.

Probably about the same.
Huh?

If Shaka had stayed, he might have broken his tie with Kaiser Bob for most losses by a Texas coach in a single season. He would have had two or three returning players (maybe fewer), a recruiting class of three players who so far have not done sh*t where they ended up, and whatever dregs he could have gotten from the portal. Despite the weak overall OOC slate, he’d have four or five losses at minimum already, and very possibly more.

A 2021-22 season with Shaka at the helm was going to be f*cking ferociously bad.

Huh?

If Shaka had stayed, he might have broken his tie with Kaiser Bob for most losses by a Texas coach in a single season. He would have had two or three returning players (maybe fewer), a recruiting class of three players who so far have not done sh*t where they ended up, and whatever dregs he could have gotten from the portal. Despite the weak overall OOC slate, he’d have four or five losses at minimum already, and very possibly more.

A 2021-22 season with Shaka at the helm was going to be f*cking ferociously bad.
That’s your opinion but it’s not really based on anything. I agree it was time for both sides to part ways. It didn’t work for a lot of reasons, but if he had been here this year we’re probably sitting in the same spot we are now. Beard hasn’t won a game(yet) this year where I’ve been like thank god he was the coach we don’t win that without him. Not saying that won’t be the case at some point, but it hasn’t happened yet.

That’s your opinion but it’s not really based on anything.

Are you high? Like all the time?

It’s based on the overwhelming likelihood that this year’s roster would have been a dumpster fire.

One to three returning players. Three new guys just out of high school who have not yet done anything of note where they are now. And then what? Shaka was going to lure something resembling Beard’s all-time-great transfer class with his weak track record and with the entire world knowing that he was all but assured to be out on his ass after the next season? No, you know that wasn’t happening. The roster was going to be a catastrophe.

if he had been here this year we’re probably sitting in the same spot we are now.

Now here is an opinion utterly untethered to probability — one based solely in the kind of wishful thinking and strange, stubborn overestimation of Shaka that led you to declare in the first few weeks of the season for four years straight that his teams looked bound for anything from the Sweet Sixteen to the Final Four.

That’s your opinion but it’s not really based on anything. I agree it was time for both sides to part ways. It didn’t work for a lot of reasons, but if he had been here this year we’re probably sitting in the same spot we are now. Beard hasn’t won a game(yet) this year where I’ve been like thank god he was the coach we don’t win that without him. Not saying that won’t be the case at some point, but it hasn’t happened yet.
Are you Bitter White Guy from BON? This has to be a joke.

Im confused as to how anyone can say “oh this team would of been .500 with Shaka Smart” when.

1. You have absolutely no idea who would even be on the roster in this alternative universe

2. The schedule is weak. Any group of 7 power 5 level players is probably 8-2. That’s how bad the schedule is this year.

like I said it was time for a change and I understand why they got Beard. Just not sure his style really fixes anything. Will he win a national championship at Texas, or get to a final 4? If I had to bet I’d say. No. I think his celling is probably prime Rick Barnes. Which will eventually frustrate many here. I hope in wrong and he’s the next coach K. I just see a lot of the same things we’ve seen the last 15 years, and nothing about Chris beard’s history suggest he’s the guy to fix it.

Im confused as to how anyone can say “oh this team would of been .500 with Shaka Smart” when.

1. You have absolutely no idea who would even be on the roster in this alternative universe

2. The schedule is weak. Any group of 7 power 5 level players is probably 8-2. That’s how bad the schedule is this year.

like I said it was time for a change and I understand why they got Beard. Just not sure his style really fixes anything. Will he win a national championship at Texas, or get to a final 4? If I had to bet I’d say. No. I think his celling is probably prime Rick Barnes. Which will eventually frustrate many here. I hope in wrong and he’s the next coach K. I just see a lot of the same things we’ve seen the last 15 years, and nothing about Chris beard’s history suggest he’s the guy to fix it.
99E7A9CC-BEFC-429E-B20E-A46B6EE095CE.jpeg.41950cbff62f9eb024d16eb41eadd8a4.jpeg

This is a really good Kempom breakdown. We are excellent on defense. The offense has room for improvement but the motion offense is new to most of these guys who are used to playing ghetto hoop ball which is basically one on one isolation. Yes, the motion offense is the big leagues and few coaches even try to engage today's youth in doing anything challenging. Poor coaches have the team stand around run a ball screen and jack up 3's like Shaka.

Kenpom has us finishing at 21-10 (10-8) in the conference which is somewhere between a 4-6 seed in the tournament. Beard inherited a dead roster, basically a couple of players. Shaka Smart inherited a complete roster at Marquette and has had a few bail on him because he's not great. Shaka's Kenpom has him not making the NIT. It's really apples and oranges when considering their quality differences.

Last edited:

Just look at what he did at Tech with lesser talent as proof. He has a 9-3 record in the tournament. He’s going to have no problems recruiting elite talent here.

So he had to completely retool the roster, is 8-2 with the two losses against ranked teams, and he's ready to throw in the towel? At least he's willing to go on the record early in the regime.

BTW - Shaka's miraculous Big XII tournament victory last year, while legit, was accomplished with a little help - they got a covid bye in the semis while their championship game opponent was the 3rd game in 3 days. Doesn't hurt to get a little luck.

ADVERTISEMENT