ADVERTISEMENT

Clemens settles lawsuit with McNamee

Belldozer1

Aug 20, 2014
Roger Clemens' insurer will pay ex-trainer Brian McNamee undisclosed sum after settlement is reached in defamation lawsuit following seven-year legal battle

McNamee sued Clemens in 2008 after pitcher said old trainer lied in courtTrainer accused Clemens of using banned performance-enhancing drugsClemens' homeowner's insurance policy from AIG will pay the settlement He will not contribute any money or release claims against McNamee The 52-year-old did not attend settlement talks at federal court in Brooklyn
By Associated Press

Published: 19:37 EST, 18 March 2015 | Updated: 21:54 EST, 18 March 2015

View
comments

Roger Clemens will not have to pay Brian McNamee a dime after a settlement was reached in the defamation lawsuit that was brought against the former MLB pitcher by his ex-trainer in 2008.

The terms of the settlement call for an undisclosed amount of money to be paid by the former Boston Red Sox and New York Yankees pitcher's insurer AIG.

The deal will not require the seven-time Cy Young Award winner to contribute any money or release any claims against McNamee, attorneys for both men said on Wednesday.

Scroll down for video

26C91F6100000578-3001597-Roger_Clemens_insurer_AIG_will_pay_his_ex_trainer_Brian_McNamee_-m-17_1426729603153.jpg

SHARE PICTURE

Copy link to paste in your message

+4

Roger Clemens' insurer AIG will pay his ex-trainer Brian McNamee an undisclosed sum after a court settlement

26C91F6D00000578-3001597-image-a-13_1426728402132.jpg

SHARE PICTURE

+4

The deal that that was reached in the defamation lawsuit will not require Clemens, 52, to contribute any money

26C91F7900000578-3001597-image-m-11_1426728360977.jpg

SHARE PICTURE

+4

The 2008 lawsuit alleged Clemens pursued a public relations attack against McNamee (pictured above)

McNamee sued Clemens, 52, for defamation in 2008 after the pitcher said McNamee lied and manufactured evidence when he accused the pitcher of using banned performance-enhancing drugs

That lawsuit alleged Clemens pursued a public relations attack against McNamee after the onetime strength coach told federal agents and Congress he routinely injected the hard-throwing right-hander with steroids and human growth hormone from 1998 through 2001.

Clemens, who pitched until he was 45, has denied the charges and told ESPN McNamee's case was an example of 'somebody out there that is really crawling up your back to make a buck.'

26C91F8100000578-3001597-image-m-16_1426728430270.jpg

SHARE PICTURE

+4

Clemens won seven Cy Young Awards in his career

The resolution to the long-running dispute was reached after closed-door negotiations before US Magistrate Judge Cheryl Pollak in Brooklyn.

The case was moved to federal court in 2009.

Clemens didn't attend the settlement talks.

His lawyer, Chip Babcock, said AIG negotiated the settlement with McNamee, according to the New York Daily News.

Babcock said last month: 'If the insurance company wants to pay Mr McNamee, there is not much I can do about that.'

McNamee's attorney Richard Emery said the agreement was fair and allowed everyone involved to move on.

He said: 'At this point it's water over the dam.

'It's high time. This is old news these days.'

Clemens, who also plitched for the Toronto Blue Jays and the Houston Astros in his two-decade-long career, was found not guilty in 2012 of charges of obstructing Congress, making false statements in a deposition and committing perjury when he denied using steroids or human growth hormone injected by McNamee.

After the deal was reached, McNamee told reporters it hadn't sunk in yet.

He said: 'I got to digest this.

'I got to go home and have a good meal. Let me sit with it.'

Clemens has a homeowner's insurance policy with AIG.

A spokesman the insurer declined to comment.

[/URL]

Baseball great Roger Clemens is aquitted of lying about steroid...

1418450360_1696635705001_vs-4fe07e49027db0e4f854997c-672293875001.jpg
[/URL]

Read more:

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3001597/Settlement-reached-2008-Roger-Clemens-defamation-lawsuit.html#ixzz3UnavZfgw
Follow us: DailyMail on Facebook

Originally posted by Belldozer1:

Sad ending to a great career.
Meh, I simply look at it as the steroid era of baseball. They'll simply find another way, wait, they already have... It won't stop. Guys are always looking for an edge. It's not like it was 1 or 2 guys...It was more than you or I will ever know!

I used to work with an orthopedic surgeon who played middle linebacker in the Ivy League. He was from LA, had friends who played for USC. He said that both schools had steroids on the training table. The difference between USC and Ivy was that in the Ivy league you didn't have to take them

ADVERTISEMENT