Coaches List to Call

StrangerHorn

Jan 6, 2020
Who Ya gonna Call...

Money makes people jump except for UM...LOL

We gonna have to buy one!

Matt Campbell

Franklin

The Pirate!!!!!!!!..Lov this guy sense of Humor , its like DKR and Bum Phillips mix..LOL

Last edited:
Until CDC comes out in support on twitter or in press conference I don't think the coaching search is over. I think if the president and CDC have the buyout money they go after 2nd choice.
Too much baggage now. Can you imagine having to deal with TH if he thinks he won???

When that tweet or presser happens and CDC says "Tom Herman is the coach of UT and will continue to be" then I'll believe TH is safe.

Sark wants another shot now that he has cleaned up. And who better than Saban to teach him how to handle a machine?

Sark wants another shot now that he has cleaned up. And who better than Saban to teach him how to handle a machine?
Yep exactly. Getting to work for Pete Carroll, and Nick Saban has to have done something for you. He’d probably still be at USC if not for his personal problems

That would make Texas interesting for sure.

I know, I can't decide if I was being serious or not.

The fact is, we're not going to money whip anyone because everyone that is good and proven either already has a job or doesn't want to coach at Texas. We are going to have to lower our coaching expectations and look for a good candidate who is hungry, someone with no red flags. I think CDC is going to have to do a real search and find the guy who has the right personality and characteristics that can succeed at Texas. It won't be a flashy hire but someone who is well liked and can build this thing back up. He might have to do it with lower rated recruits at first (think Rhule) but by year 3 or 4 have the team in an upward trajectory. The fanbase will need to be patient which is the hard part.

I know, I can't decide if I was being serious or not.

The fact is, we're not going to money whip anyone because everyone that is good and proven either already has a job or doesn't want to coach at Texas. We are going to have to lower our coaching expectations and look for a good candidate who is hungry, someone with no red flags. I think CDC is going to have to do a real search and find the guy who has the right personality and characteristics that can succeed at Texas. It won't be a flashy hire but someone who is well liked and can build this thing back up. He might have to do it with lower rated recruits at first (think Rhule) but by year 3 or 4 have the team in an upward trajectory. The fanbase will need to be patient which is the hard part.
You hit the nail on the head about the fanbase needing to be patient. Not sure where Texas ranks in the whiny "I want it now!" department, but I bet it's high.

Reactions: Lampasas
I agree with others on Sark. To me, he’d be the one that we can definitely get that would be an improvement from Herman. I’m not worried about his past, I believe in second chances. Since the issues, he’s shown that he has them under control.

I don’t want another former Meyer Assistant. We’ve already tried two.

You hit the nail on the head about the fanbase needing to be patient. Not sure where Texas ranks in the whiny "I want it now!" department, but I bet it's high.
I don’t think this is a “I want it now” situation Texas hasnt been good for most of the last decade, and although Charlie takes a lot of heat for the “cake is already baked” comment as it turns out. He wasn’t wrong. The sugar bowl was the high point of Herman’s tenure. Most of that team was led by Jr’s and SR’s that were recruited by Strong. Now that set up a great opportunity for Herman to back fill that and really start to build something. As those players moved out the younger players started stepping in and the talent level has dropped off. I think if there was more talent on this roster Herman might get the benefit of the doubt the reality is though the further away we get from that sugar bowl the more it looks like Herman has a solid ground laid for him and took advantage of it rather than the start of something here. Which may be the story of Herman’s coaching career honestly. Lands himself in to some great situations.

In a sense I agree with you

I agree with you in a sense hillcountry but maybe there are two camps of ‘I want it now’. First is the camp that’s been waiting for more than a decade to get back to consistently winning, checking here for the latest info on recruits, taking off work on National signing day when there was only one, watching us lose to UCLA at home (which I claim to be the initial loss that started the downward spiral) watching CS say to himself ‘F*#k me’ in the blowout loss to BYU, and the second camp just wanting it now. I think those in the first camp have pretty patient thus far. Since it’s not UM, we most assuredly will have to be patient yet again with the next hire. No doubt. Let’s go, 3rd round is the charm...

I will say this. The fact that CDC still has said nothing regarding Herman tells you what he thinks of Herman. Idk if this relationship ends this year or next year but it will end

Don't worry...admin is patient and that is all that matters. Of course, that's also why we aren't worth a shit to begin with.

But hey man! 8 wins a year is the bomb amirite!

I guess you guys haven't heard. There will be no Urban Meyer he's made it clear he's not coming. Apparently he's serious about his health concerns. So no Urban Meyer and not just this year and no place else ever again.

I guess you guys haven't heard. There will be no Urban Meyer he's made it clear he's not coming. Apparently he's serious about his health concerns. So no Urban Meyer and not just this year and no place else ever again.
Never say no place ever with coaches. I agree it’s likely he never comes back at this point, but coaches always find their way back to the sidelines it seems

The more Texas loses or misses recruits the more the money will go south and the fan base contributions will fall and then we will be in the USA conference e before ya know it, we still in a downward spiral until we fix this coaches problem, I have given up on another Natty before I die, its just not gonna happen!, but, I will take my memories with me, That I have seen Texas at its highest point and the lowest, not what I wanted, i know their is a lotta older horns that feel the same way, what we have seen was a 1 time deal.it will take 5 or 6 more years to even start to duplicate...

• Sad
Reactions: freeper
I agree with others on Sark. To me, he’d be the one that we can definitely get that would be an improvement from Herman. I’m not worried about his past, I believe in second chances. Since the issues, he’s shown that he has them under control.

I don’t want another former Meyer Assistant. We’ve already tried two.

Why would you look at ANYONE other than Art Briles? He took a program with 32 straight conference losses, and won back to back conference championships. He was one spineless conference commissioner from being in the Final 4. He cranked out pro players like Waco was Norman. He plays an exciting brand of ball. He knows every HS football coach in the State. He's got a gigantic chip on his shoulder. His teams are mean. And for those administrators who are worried about cash -- he was solely responsible for building a quarter of a billion dollar stadium!

Make the call!

Why would you look at ANYONE other than Art Briles? He took a program with 32 straight conference losses, and won back to back conference championships. He was one spineless conference commissioner from being in the Final 4. He cranked out pro players like Waco was Norman. He plays an exciting brand of ball. He knows every HS football coach in the State. He's got a gigantic chip on his shoulder. His teams are mean. And for those administrators who are worried about cash -- he was solely responsible for building a quarter of a billion dollar stadium!

Make the call!
Sark and art Briles are two different stories. Sark had a drinking problem, and got treatment. Briles was involved in covering up, paying off and in some cases threatening sexual assault victims of football players. Not exactly in the same category. And he’s 65 years old. I’m not sure you take the heat that hire would get for a 3-4 year fix.

Reactions: LonghornInOmaha

Make the call!
Given the choice between Briles and a Brian Kelly, Franklin or Fickell type, I'd go with Briles any day of the week because of the immediate TX HS relationships. Kelly is a bit prickly and it could take some time for TX coaches to warm up to him.

Make the call!

Tech is looking into Briles if nobody read my post, big Tech boosters are calling for him.

Reactions: westx and diadevic

Make the call!

I'd be all for Briles. He would do extremely well. The holier than thou Texas peeps I doubt would be...you know "we're Texas" and all that.

Sark and art Briles are two different stories. Sark had a drinking problem, and got treatment. Briles was involved in covering up, paying off and in some cases threatening sexual assault victims of football players. Not exactly in the same category. And he’s 65 years old. I’m not sure you take the heat that hire would get for a 3-4 year fix.

No he didn't.

Reactions: westx and horn wild
No he didn't.
Baylor’s own independent repor says “Football coaches and staff choose not to report incidents of assault and misconduct” weather Briles was directly involved in that only he knows but as the HC he’s responsible for the football program

Make the call!
I wanted briles when Mack resigned. I thought it made perfect sense. I liked briles offenses more mike leaches offense as they actually used the RB. But of course we made a bad hire at AD then so on.
Briles can coach but I’d rather someone a little younger.

Baylor’s own independent repor says “Football coaches and staff choose not to report incidents of assault and misconduct” weather Briles was directly involved in that only he knows but as the HC he’s responsible for the football program

Where did it state that Briles was involved in "threatening victims of sexual assault" as you stated?

If that is in fact the case, then I'll change my tune.

Reactions: westx and diadevic
ADVERTISEMENT