ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches we wanted or almost hired or hired ........

Hookedonit

Mar 21, 2018
1. Nick Saban , Dabo Sweeney, Jim Harbaugh, David Shaw, Art Briles, Chris Peterson, John Gruden , Charlie Strong, Tom Herman, James Franklin. Please feel free to add to the list my point is open the checkbook and get Urban and let’s get back where we belong !!

This topic has some potential. I know at one time we Sooners looked at Hayden Frye, the Iowa\N. Texas or was it SMU coach.

It would be interesting to see what coach came in second behind Strong, etc.

I hope you get some replies.....Boomer!

Reactions: Hookedonit
Seemed like if it wasn’t Strong it would of been Franklin. I preferred Franklin to Strong if I had to pick one at the time. No idea if Franklin would of gotten us where we need to be. Pretty confident it would of turned in to the dumpster fire it became. Franklin probably wouldn’t of been my first choice though if I had been doing the hiring

Reactions: Hookedonit
Fool that I am I really wanted Franklin instead of Strong. I never ever wanted Peterson. Not then, not now, not ever!

Reactions: StrangerHorn
A guy ive always liked that I think would win a national title if he ever went to a big program is Pat Fitzgerald. Not sure he’d ever leave northwestern but he’s probably done more with less than any other coach in the country.

Reactions: dailybuck777
A guy ive always liked that I think would win a national title if he ever went to a big program is Pat Fitzgerald. Not sure he’d ever leave northwestern but he’s probably done more with less than any other coach in the country.

Gary Barnett parlayed a great season at Northwestern into a huge contract at...uh....Colorado I think.Turned out he could hardly coach a win out of them. I wonder where he is these days.?...I guess for that reason I say pass....

I don’t know how close Jim Mora was to being hired away from UCLA, but he received a nice pay and contract increase out of it.

Gary Barnett parlayed a great season at Northwestern into a huge contract at...uh....Colorado I think.Turned out he could hardly coach a win out of them. I wonder where he is these days.?...I guess for that reason I say pass....
Barnett didn’t have the success at NW that fitz has had he was 35-45 at NW before he left for CO. Actually had a nice run with the Buffs finished first or tied for first in the big 12 north in 4 of his 7 years at CO. They haven’t even come close to that level since.
Fitzgerald has a 103-79 recored at NW. the two guys really aren’t even comparable.

Fitz is a guy that NFL teams have even tried to get ahold of on multiple occasions

Reactions: Belldozer1
Looking back at the Strong hire, we really screwed the pooch when we didn't hire Saban. Or should I say, Mack screwed us over. Never let a fired coach dictate who your next coach should be, especially when he screws over the program by telling all his recruits to pick another school.

Yes, I think Franklin would have been a better choice over Strong, however I don't think he would have gotten us over the hump and likely would have had marginal success over him. Gotta read the job description for the Texas job. There are very few coaches who can handle being a coach at Texas (Herman isn't one of them).

Saban, Dabo, Urban have the skins on the wall to come in with the necessary respect from players administration and boosters. With the success the Aggsy are having, you can bet our boosters are aching to make a splash hire. I've said this before, if you want to motivate our BMG, let them think they are being out done by the Aggy BMGs.

The big question is who will it be? Everyone outside of those individuals mentioned above is a big question mark. Look closely at Jim Harbaugh, he is proof positive that NFL success doesn't equate to college success.

Truth is I'm at a loss, maybe I'm snake bit, but outside of Meyer, I have no idea who can turn this program around. I guess that is mainly due to the fact that everybody else who would accept the job is a long shot to have success.

Last edited:
Reactions: outhereincali
I really wish fans on here would get a grip we still have a season to finish out. We won at OSU because we have more talent than they do. And that talent, competitiveness, and will to win is why we won at Stillwater. It was OSU who choked when it mattered most stats and all.

And I thought we played well against WV. We had 4 penalties only 2 on the ol and that was against a good WV dl. Oh and only 1 sack. That's the best game our ol has played this year. And our dl proved that Joseph Ossai is not the only star. We stopped Chuba, and we stopped Leddie Brown those guys were averaging over 100 ypg. And the dl stuffed WV in the second half all they got was 2 fg's and that sack by DO was incredible. Our thought our first td was as good a drive as we've had all year. And our opening to start the 2nd half was outstanding it turned out to be the game winner. And we ran out the last 4 minutes.

In regards to Sam. The kid is battered and bruised and that's putting it mildly no wonder his passing has suffered this year. And you have to attribute that to our ol. But last week we showed some promise in our running game. I hope that coach Yurcich builds the offense around Roschon and Bijan the ol did well blocking for them. Seriously we should let each guy handle the rock at least 17 times. If we do we can set up the rest of the offense and take some of the load off of Sam. The talent is there at receiver. So we're developing a good back 7 on d and against WV our db's finally turned their heads around. Sorry to lose Ryan for the season kid had his best game of the year against WV.

I've said all along the talent is here. We have a new coaching staff who's had to deal with the pandemic and didn't have the time to implement their system. And our team actually the whole Big XII has done a great job in following protocol in regards to covid19. Well at least the Big XII is 1st in something. We have a chance to do the things I mentioned against KS and make it a stats game for our team. And if they do we'll also beat KSU, and a good ISU team. Then we'll play the Bedlam winner for the title and btw those guys are playing this week.

So let's try to be more understanding with Sam and for goodness sake don't write these guys off.

Last edited:
Reactions: q1w2e3 and freeper
In regards to all the coaches listed above none of those guys would have made it at TX. Ok let me exempt Urban, Dabo, and Saban. But James Franklin come on now PS is 0/4 this year. He had 2 good years because of Shaquon Barkely. They got a break in last years Cotton Bowl because they drew Memphis. I really don't know who would be the right coach for us.

Something I forgot to mention above. I was proud and a little bit heartbroken for Sam after the OK game. If it wasn't for him the game would have never gotten into ot. Did you notice his uniform after the game? He played his heart out and I appreciated that.

Looking back at the Strong hire, we really screwed the pooch when we didn't hire Saban. Or should I say, Mack screwed us over. Never let a fired coach dictate who your next coach should be, especially when he screws over the program by telling all his recruits to pick another school.

Yes, I think Franklin would have been a better choice over Strong, however I don't think he would have gotten us over the hump and likely would have had marginal success over him. Gotta read the job description for the Texas job. There are very few coaches who can handle being a coach at Texas (Herman isn't one of them).

Saban, Dabo, Urban have the skins on the wall to come in with the necessary respect from players administration and boosters. With the success the Aggsy are having, you can bet our boosters are aching to make a splash hire. I've said this before, if you want to motivate our BMG, let them think they are being out done by the Aggy BMGs.

The big question is who will it be? Everyone outside of those individuals mentioned above is a big question mark. Look closely at Jim Harbaugh, he is proof positive that NFL success doesn't equate to college success.

Truth is I'm at a loss, maybe I'm snake bit, but outside of Meyer, I have no idea who can turn this program around. I guess that is mainly due to the fact that everybody else who would accept the job is a long shot to have success.

Texas needs to start paying like the $ec schools pay. Even a mediocre idiot like Herman wouldn't be able to screw that up. The mistake Texas makes as well as Michigan is assuming recruits want to play school. There are a few that value a degree but the majority hate school. Pay them but require performance. If they don't perform, severance pay and bye.

Oh, and join the $ec.

Last edited:
Reactions: StrangerHorn
I’ll tell ya. If the only way we could get Joe Brady to Austin was to give him the HC job I’d consider it. Guy is one of the best young coaches in football. If you surrounded him with a stud staff think he’d do well

I’ll tell ya. If the only way we could get Joe Brady to Austin was to give him the HC job I’d consider it. Guy is one of the best young coaches in football. If you surrounded him with a stud staff think he’d do well

He is the only guy I would consider after UM. He wouldn't be able to stand up to the "other" requirements as the Texas head coach. He doesn't have enough experience.

In many ways, an NFL coach has an easier job considering recruiting and booster management are difficult to manage on top of x's and o's. An NFL coach has to win and that's it. Herman is not good when it comes to scheming, play calling, etc... and is bad at dealing with BMD's/boosters. Brady doesn't have the experience to manage the political side of UT football.

One of the reasons I hate the NFL is that each owner prioritizes money over winning. Jerry is a prime example of this... He can't manage the Cowboy's out of a wet paper bag but when it comes to priority #1 which is self promotion and corporate coddling for profit, he's got it down.

He is the only guy I would consider after UM. He wouldn't be able to stand up to the "other" requirements as the Texas head coach. He doesn't have enough experience.

In many ways, an NFL coach has an easier job considering recruiting and booster management are difficult to manage on top of x's and o's. An NFL coach has to win and that's it. Herman is not good when it comes to scheming, play calling, etc... and is bad at dealing with BMD's/boosters. Brady doesn't have the experience to manage the political side of UT football.

One of the reasons I hate the NFL is that each owner prioritizes money over winning. Jerry is a prime example of this... He can't manage the Cowboy's out of a wet paper bag but when it comes to priority #1 which is self promotion and corporate coddling for profit, he's got it down.
I wouldn’t say all owners prioritize money over winning. I’m a Chiefs fan and Clark Hunt wrote some big checks this offseason

I think too much gets made of the political side and the dealing with boosters and all that. You know what will make the money guys happy? Winning. if Tom Herman we’re winning conference and national titles it wouldn’t matter if some of the donors hated his guts they’d happily keep paying that salary.

I wouldn’t say all owners prioritize money over winning. I’m a Chiefs fan and Clark Hunt wrote some big checks this offseason

I think too much gets made of the political side and the dealing with boosters and all that. You know what will make the money guys happy? Winning. if Tom Herman we’re winning conference and national titles it wouldn’t matter if some of the donors hated his guts they’d happily keep paying that salary.

And if we win and I think we have a good chance of doing that than maybe the powers that be, the fb players, and the LHBlacks can sit down and sort this mess out. I agree with you 100 that to much is made around about to much is made of the political sides along with bmd involvement.

But sadly in the case of the TX fb team it IS a matter of politics and bmd. Imo its racial. Most of bmd are white and most of the fb players are black. Over the last 6 months this has deteriorated into a confrontation between bmd and black fb players, the LHBlacks, and probably black students in general at TX. Fwiw the LHB, and the team is standing in solidarity with the LHBlacks, and their black teammates.

So in what you said at the beginning of your reply winning the Big XII would be a start in the right direction and maybe cooler heads will prevail. Right now the University of Texas needs this desperately.

by political I meant the politics around the coaches relationship with donors and such. I didn’t really mean all the stuff going on with the other stuff, but I also think losing has made the other stuff a bigger story than it otherwise would be. Trevor Lawerence has fought for change in race relations at Clemson. Don’t hear a lot about that. Why? Because Clemson is winning and Lawerence could win the Heisman. If Texas was meeting expectations on the field none of the other stuff would move the needle really

by political I meant the politics around the coaches relationship with donors and such. I didn’t really mean all the stuff going on with the other stuff, but I also think losing has made the other stuff a bigger story than it otherwise would be. Trevor Lawerence has fought for change in race relations at Clemson. Don’t hear a lot about that. Why? Because Clemson is winning and Lawerence could win the Heisman. If Texas was meeting expectations on the field none of the other stuff would move the needle really

Although I didn't read it I heard that Dabo has taken a harder line than Tom in regards to BLM. But feeling among black students has been simmering for sometime now and with George Floyd it's all come out. And once again I agree with you that winning the Big XII will be a start in the right direction.

Although I didn't read it I heard that Dabo has taken a harder line than Tom in regards to BLM. But feeling among black students has been simmering for sometime now and with George Floyd it's all come out. And once again I agree with you that winning the Big XII will be a start in the right direction.
Yep. If it’s true Dabo had taken a harder line it doesn’t surprise me. This is a guy who said that if players start making money he’d quit... if I were making 10 million a year I wouldn’t want to disrupt the status quo either.

I think there were better ways to handle the situation here, but like you said losing and the season not meeting expectations shined a bigger light on it than otherwise would of

Trevor Lawrence is a student athlete. Tommy boy is a coach, big difference. Boosters aren't paying the qb's salary, well not at Texas, but they are paying for Tommy boy. Never look a gift horse in the mouth much less call it rayciss. Tommy been building his own gallows with each additional poor judgement. Next loss, he pulls his own trapdoor.

Trevor Lawrence is a student athlete. Tommy boy is a coach, big difference. Boosters aren't paying the qb's salary, well not at Texas, but they are paying for Tommy boy. Never look a gift horse in the mouth much less call it rayciss. Tommy been building his own gallows with each additional poor judgement. Next loss, he pulls his own trapdoor.
Point still remains if season was meeting expectations nothing else would matter. Boosters knew Herman was kind of an ass when he was their golden boy. If they didn’t they weren’t paying attention.

I mean look away from Texas reportedly Mike Gundy and Boone Pickens hated each other. Boone could of had Gundy fired at any point. Why didn’t he? Why upset a winning formula.
Same with Herman if he were putting up W’s none of the other stuff would matter.

Point still remains if season was meeting expectations nothing else would matter. Boosters knew Herman was kind of an ass when he was their golden boy. If they didn’t they weren’t paying attention.

I mean look away from Texas reportedly Mike Gundy and Boone Pickens hated each other. Boone could of had Gundy fired at any point. Why didn’t he? Why upset a winning formula.
Same with Herman if he were putting up W’s none of the other stuff would matter.
Sure what you say is true but Tom has not met expectations while acting like an ass. The stupid actions and losses were the deadwood, Tech lit the match, and SE singing the eot alone after losing to OU lit the fire. It's burning down the program. Tommy is the arsonist. His ass is gone.

Sure what you say is true but Tom has not met expectations while acting like an ass. The stupid actions and losses were the deadwood, Tech lit the match, and SE singing the eot alone after losing to OU lit the fire. It's burning down the program. Tommy is the arsonist. His ass is gone.
I’m not convinced he’s gone for sure. If he wins the big 12 which seems more possible than it did a couple weeks ago I just have a hard time seeing Texas ripping off a 10 million dollar check to make the guy go away, and I’ve never been aHerman fan I’ve always thought he was a clown, but just doesn’t seem like something that would happen. Now he doesn’t make the conference title game yeah I could see it

I’m not convinced he’s gone for sure. If he wins the big 12 which seems more possible than it did a couple weeks ago I just have a hard time seeing Texas ripping off a 10 million dollar check to make the guy go away, and I’ve never been aHerman fan I’ve always thought he was a clown, but just doesn’t seem like something that would happen. Now he doesn’t make the conference title game yeah I could see it

He won't defeat ou. That will be his end. If UM is waiting in the wings, they'll fire him. He has to win the big 12. Some think he is gone even if he wins the b 12 as long as UM is lined up.

Hermans wins are not impressive. The dogs are still barking.

Last edited:
Reactions: LonghornMM
Interesting thing is if UM comes to Texas, I think he will keep a number of Tom's assistants. Chris Ash, Coleman Hutzler, Jay Valai, and Stan Drayton are all guys I think Meyer will keep. Everyone else is likely gone.

Interesting thing is if UM comes to Texas, I think he will keep a number of Tom's assistants. Chris Ash, Coleman Hutzler, Jay Valai, and Stan Drayton are all guys I think Meyer will keep. Everyone else is likely gone.

Yurcich is a top 5 OC as well. He has been hindered by Herman. Herman "directs" the playcalling while the defense is on the field. I think Yurcich is a quality OC and would be someone to retain. Herb Hand on the other hand (pun intended) is worthless.

I would like Ash to stick around. While the defense hasn’t been great this year I think they have shown improvement from last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT