ADVERTISEMENT

Colonoscopy week is upon us errrr me

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
My mother's sister died of colon cancer when she was 42. Ya, that sucks-- and when you have someone that closely related to you that dies from a particular cancer--- of course it's smart to get yourself checked. This will be my second one. I'm going to drink the fluid Tuesday and go in wed morning. The last time i did this I was a good little boy and followed all the dietary rules in the run up.
This time I'm doing the opposite. I'm thinking Thai food for dinner Monday. I'm also thinking of documenting and sharing with you fellas. Should be fun.

I had a colonoscopy about three years ago. The Dr. found and removed three non-cancerous polyps in my colon. He told me that I needed to have on every three years. I'm planning on doing this in early September. Good luck, clob. I hope that everything is normal.

Post the graphic documentation, lol.

My mother's sister died of colon cancer when she was 42. Ya, that sucks-- and when you have someone that closely related to you that dies from a particular cancer--- of course it's smart to get yourself checked. This will be my second one. I'm going to drink the fluid Tuesday and go in wed morning. The last time i did this I was a good little boy and followed all the dietary rules in the run up.
This time I'm doing the opposite. I'm thinking Thai food for dinner Monday. I'm also thinking of documenting and sharing with you fellas. Should be fun.[/QUOTE

As for your issue I'm fine at least for now. At 64 I only have hearing in one ear and need glasses but other than that no problems. All these octogenarian and nongenarians on both sides of my family. And most of them are/were heavy drinkers. Go figure.

I used to love orange Gatorade, I hate it now because of the night before prep. Good luck to you.

Even an Aggie can feel bad for a Horn getting a colonoscopy. They are rough. Don't take all the explosive prep. Once you shit pure Gatorade stop. And for goodness sake, do not fart the day after.

This time I'm doing the opposite. I'm thinking Thai food for dinner Monday. I'm also thinking of documenting and sharing with you fellas. Should be fun.
Hope all goes well. I defer to my comment to you in the Area 51 thread, it appears they are interested in Uranus afterall.

Reactions: AlabamaHorn
Clob....you do what you want.....but take it from an old hand......

There is absolutely nothing to the colonoscopy....easy peasy....the prep however is a mother no matter what. Here is the deal....the Docs dont care what you do. It makes not a whit to them. What does make a whit to them is that they expect to be looking into a clean "pipe". If it aint 100% clean, they just shut down and go to the next guy. You then have the choice of foregoing the proceedure or going through prep hell all over again.

trust me....do it just like they say.

I gotta schedule mine soon (first one). Is there a kind of prep that is easier to do? My biggest hang up is getting my "ride" organized unless there's a way that I could drive myself.

Keep us up to date Clob. Have fun.

I gotta schedule mine soon (first one). Is there a kind of prep that is easier to do? My biggest hang up is getting my "ride" organized unless there's a way that I could drive myself.

Keep us up to date Clob. Have fun.

Schedule a consultation with your choice of a gastro doctor. They will give you instructions on the prep, what to expect, etc. You will have to make arrangements for a ride home afterwards. They will not let you drive home after the procedure.

you get your ride in order. They wont do it unless you physically show them the person driving you home.....too much liability....again....you went through prep "hell" and they turn you away for not having a ride....

As a primary care physician, y'all are making me so happy. Get those colonoscopies! Colon Cancer is one of the more avoidable cancers if you just get checked. And it is a nasty one if you don't.
At what age should you start?

At what age should you start?
Short answer is 50. However, if you have family members (particular 1st degree) with colon cancer you should get checked 10 years before they were diagnosed if they were younger than 60. For example, if you dad was diagnosed with colon cancer at age 55, you should get checked 10 years before then, at age 45.

From polyp to full blown cancer, it usually takes 10 years. This is why they recommend getting checked 10 years before a relative was diagnosed. It is also why if you have a clean colon, you don't have to return for 10 years.

Reactions: HornsRuleU
Short answer is 50. However, if you have family members (particular 1st degree) with colon cancer you should get checked 10 years before they were diagnosed if they were younger than 60. For example, if you dad was diagnosed with colon cancer at age 55, you should get checked 10 years before then, at age 45.

From polyp to full blown cancer, it usually takes 10 years. This is why they recommend getting checked 10 years before a relative was diagnosed. It is also why if you have a clean colon, you don't have to return for 10 years.
As I stated, my aunt died at 42. I had my first butthole check at 39. All was clear. If you missed my telling of the story, a pox on you.

This is my second--- and the mistakes I made on the first one, I won't make again. But the precautions I took on the first one--- I will ignore.

Because I'm a rebel like that. =)roll

As I stated, my aunt died at 42. I had my first butthole check at 39. All was clear. If you missed my telling of the story, a pox on you.

This is my second--- and the mistakes I made on the first one, I won't make again. But the precautions I took on the first one--- I will ignore.

Because I'm a rebel like that. =)roll
42 is so early for colon cancer, sorry for your loss. Definitely a good move to start getting checks early. Something important for you and your family to do going forward until it's clear it was nothing hereditary.

Good luck Clob, and here is some helpful advice: I hate the prep work, so I have found a short-cut. I don't eat anything solid for the 3 days prior, so the prep is easier on me. I drink Boost, instead of eating, 3 days prior. They now allow you to drink dark liquids prior, so it is much easier. Best to you!

So is it go time? In the middle of prep time? How you hanging so far?

In all seriousness, best of luck.

Good luck Clob, and here is some helpful advice: I hate the prep work, so I have found a short-cut. I don't eat anything solid for the 3 days prior, so the prep is easier on me. I drink Boost, instead of eating, 3 days prior. They now allow you to drink dark liquids prior, so it is much easier. Best to you!

Don't worry about the prep, just think of it as foreplay.

Typically they tell you to start the prep in late afternoon/evening before the colonoscopy the next morning. I'm sure clob will give us the gruesome details later, lol.

I've got the ball rolling on mine. Waiting to hear from the doc for information, scheduling and such. Gonna schedule it on my ride's day off, if at all possible. If not, I've got some good ol backups....that'll cost me a case of Bud Lite, but that's ok with me. Texas 008, I like the liquid diet idea.

Just got back home.

I think I'd prefer to be fvcked in the neck with a chain saw.

Now I know what Jeffrey Dahmer felt like on his last day in prison.

Going to take a nap fellas. And btw-- doc said my pooper was a clean as his sheets --- whatever the hell that means.

Just got back home.

I think I'd prefer to be fvcked in the neck with a chain saw.

Now I know what Jeffrey Dahmer felt like on his last day in prison.

Going to take a nap fellas. And btw-- doc said my pooper was a clean as his sheets --- whatever the hell that means.
Congrats on the clean pooper clob!

ADVERTISEMENT